Page 1235 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 23573511351185122512331234123512361237124512851335 ... LastLast
Results 37,021 to 37,050 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    My first reaction is that, if you include that information in your personal statement, they would be making an informed decision should they choose to admit you. Possibly as a religious organization they might actually be interested in your topic of research? Or not, but if you were up front about it there would be nothing to hide.

Depends how you would feel about relying on their funding, though, at the end of the day.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the bold Mandy. As I am very forthcoming regarding atheism and secular humanism in the essay. I wouldn't feel bad taking their money but I would be worried about going there and then not getting the type of support I would like regarding my reserach interests.

And Chrissy, I do wish I could have applied to Cornell. They are one of the top 10 universities for my intended focus and have a great program. They required a GRE subject test and they only offer subject tests twice per year and I wasn't able to take it because it was offered in October, when I decided to go ahead and start studying/applying to schools. At the time I didn't know that it was only offered twice per year. The next one isn't offered until April, which is after Cornell's deadline. They also offer great financial support so if I don't get in this go round,I am planning to take the subject test in April to apply to them and other Ivy leagues that require the subject test like Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth. I may also take the general GRE again because I would like to get a 165-170 and I only got a 160 on the Verbal portion which is what programs I am interested in look at the most.

Erin

Erin, I agree with Mandy as well. You should definitely apply. The hard part would be if they accepted you. You would definitely need to find out from them who the possible mentors would be, then talk to them to see just how they feel about your potential topic of research. It would be awful to go there and then find out that the support and mentorship is not there.

It sucks they only offer it two times a year, and why offer them after the deadline to apply? That doesn't make sense to me!

I fessed up to my boss that I've been thinking about leaving. She should have known how bad it's been here, but she acted surprised. I don't buy it. I work very close with Faye and I know she's told her to stop dumping things on us repeatedly. She's even got a little snarky with her about it. So me saying I'm completely overwhelmed shouldn't have been such a shock. Essentially, I got the, "When this phase is over..." speech, but I cut her off and said since I stated it's been one project after another, often with two huge projects overlapping each other. I have given up any hope that it's going to calm down. It hasn't. I told her some of my ideas, one is a huge deal, and she said that it would be a huge undertaking. I responded that it's one I'm willing to take if it means cutting out the BS I'm dealing with now. We have an encryption program that is causing all kinds of problems for our laptop users. I'm seeing 2-3 laptops a week go belly-up because of it. The encryption program has got to go. It's one thing to use a different program on computers we set up new, but what to do about all of them that are out there already? I suggested I remove it individually. It'll be 4-5 months of hell, but there would be light at the end of the tunnel. And ultimately, it would eliminate the 2-3 machines a week I'm currently wasting time on...usually in tandem while dealing with other things. That would be HUGE! So give me a break already and just make the decision that we're getting rid of True Crypt and going with Bit Locker. Please and thank you. fml

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I hope she takes your ideas into consideration.

Ok so I haven't read everything yet but wanted to reply to Erin. I did my undergrad at a catholic school...an all women's catholic school where many but not all were nuns and I believe that they were sisters of notre dam since I think that nuns can be parts of different groups or however they do it. Anyway I know back in the day they did actually keep certain books locked up in the library because of the topics but by the time I was there, it wasn't a problem. I was a philosophy major and at the time openly atheist. I am now agnostic. I was pretty much alone in that in my classes...many students were Catholic but not all. Most were at least believers. I know my profs REALLY liked me in their classes because my ideas were so different and I pushed the other women to think. Like when we talked about Descartes proof of the existence of God....everyone was all agreeing and like cool....and than there was me and I was like, wait a second this "proof" isn't a proof at all.

They had mass and chapel and all that....I never went. We did do a quick prayer at things like student govt meetings or graduation but it wasn't a big deal. As an undergrad I had to take man's search for meaning....class was half religion and we read the book of job (only bible I have ever read) and the other half was philosophy where we read about the trial and death of Socrates. Everyone had to do that course and one extra philosophy and one extra religion. I got away with doing world religions which was taught by a sister and was pretty interesting. She said that it's like going to a new town where you ask for directions from A to B and everyone tells you a different route....but all the routes end up getting you there. I thought that was a nice way of thinking.
    I don't think grad students had to take those same classes though.

I have found the Catholics to be actually a fairly liberal religion as far as some go. We were very much encouraged and required to question things and think critically. The sisters were very non-judgemental and supported the causes of women, children and education. Many of the women at the college were from poor backgrounds and often single mom's. There wasn't a free thinker atheist group on campus but than again there was only about 1000-1200 students while I was there.

I would definitely apply and seriously consider it. You would just probably want to talk to the faculty that you would be working with before accepting anything to make sure that your area of study would be supported.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy I hope that she goes with your idea too!

And I wouldn't worry about Catholics trying to convert. Most of my life, most people I know personally are catholic (my hometown was very heavily Italian). It's just not something that they do like born agains or some of the super religious.

Isn't Notre Dame in Indianna? I would think cost of living would be cheaper there plus it would be between your family and your DH's. Yeah the location would be pretty good after looking at the map.

Did you see this? http://www.nd.edu/faith-and-service/...n-the-academy/ That is pretty much sounds like what I experienced at Mount Mary. This is what my school says http://www.mtmary.edu/mission.htm And that is way more religious sounding that Notre Dame (and my experience there wasn't that religious at all....I mean considering my major it came up a all the time but it wasn't ever a bad experience for me).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes Notre Dame is in IN and is right between where DH and I are from, which is why when they contacted me I thought it was a good location.

I think I will reach out to one of the faculty members of the program I am interested in to get a feel for them.

I always felt that Catholics were more....I can only say progressive than other more conservative Christian denominations as they have had a deep commitment to community involvement and helping the poor on a larger scale than other large churches I am familiar with. The Catholic churches in my hometown gave my own mom lots of free food and supplies and paid her utility bills for her when she was down and out when I was a kid so Catholics in general, I have a good opinion of, like most people.

I think I let google spook me a bit in regards to them. The subject of the atheist group came up online and many people who were current and former ND students said that atheist "didn't belong" there and to me I get all red flaggy at stuff like that and go !!!! Maybe I shouldn't go there. But like you said Jen, IN is a really cheap place to live. And I like cheap and if they are going to give support in that amount then it is very tempting for me. Since it is free, I do think I will just apply and see what they do. They may just be going through the motions trying to attract people to decline in order to make themselves look more selective or something. Who knows.

Erin

It's also a catholic school and religion as a whole is on the decline. They might be struggling to recruit people.

We need to hire people but she's not listening to that. It's not up to her though and the powers that be cut positions years ago and they will not admit that was a mistake.

Progressive is a good word. I was personally thinking less nuts. LOL It is interesting to me because until my mid to late 20's, most people I knew were catholic or lutheran. I didn't know (until I came here actually!) and most christians weren't like them and people actually believed the bible literally. Catholics are different....the pope might be like no birth control....but most of the women do it anyway. Or people go to church on holidays and that is it. Or the ones who go weekly....are normal the rest of the week.
    DH's uncle is highly catholic...goes weekly if not more than weekly. He does a lot of work with the prisons and helping men who get out and providing things like basic necessities (tooth brushes, winter coats, bus money). He's never tried to convert us or anything.

It looked like ND is big on sciences too. That would be a red flag to me if they weren't. I remember Sister Rose taught my biology class and we got to evolution and some were shocked she was teaching it. But she had a PhD and strongly believed in evolution. It is like catholics are one group that has their faith but also believes in science and reasoning.

My school had some religous profs. My depart had 3...no nuns. One was a pastors wife so she was religous and focused on some of the christian philosophers but also on women ones and ancient greeks. The other two I don't know what their religous beliefs were. I spent 3.5 years with them and my senior year had an independent study with all three and still didn't know where the other two were. We openly studied atheist philosophers though.
    I would suspect that a school that is up there like ND would have a lot of non-religious profs. And I don't know that I would have even thought it much a problem at the graduate level.

Anyway I'm not atheist now but I would absolutely go to ND if the package was right. I absolutely loved Mount Mary and had a fantastic experience there. ND is a famous and respected school so I wouldn't let the catholic affiliation stop me. Not like it's one of those wackadoo christian schools like Bob Jones or whatever the name is where they totally ignore science.
    Or the mormon one. That would be a big no where they make the students agree to live on their terms and their morality ideals. No way.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Definitely apply, Erin. Financial support is a huge deal in grad school. Later on you can figure out what you want to do, if you're accepted. Maybe you can find a way to talk to some people who are already there, or look up some articles. The faculty is only slightly majority catholic, for example, but it does not include sexual orientation in its non-discrimination policies.

I have been spending most of my APA time cleaning up 100s of spam messages whenever I get on, and trying to be more of a presence in the main rooms instead of indulging my desires to nest in here. Plus I feel like I've got so much going on that I don't have time to say everything I could actually say. Today I have the day off work, all the kids are in school, and I have a hair appointment in two hours. I just got back from doing my grocery shopping and I need to do chores but I ate my breakfast/lunch at the computer and was indulging in a few minutes of relaxing before I need to get to it.

I have a date morning with DH coming up this weekend--4 hours together without kids. We're looking forward to it. My Dad was supposed to come this weekend but decided at the last minute to cancel because of the weather here and where he is. We've been having rainstorm after rainstorm and high winds and flooding gutters. DH and I have been watching the British show Sherlock on Netflix and are on the last episode and very sad that we have no more. I don't know if anyone here has watched it, but we have been really enjoying it. I think we'll watch Downton Abbey next, based on our enjoyment of Sherlock.

Chrissy, I hope you get some resolution ASAP with your job.

Ash, I hope Cash heals quickly!

Oh, L. You'll have a great time on your date! We finished season 3 of Downton Abbey a few weeks ago but there will be a Christmas special that we're looking forward to. I heard on the radio that the writer of Dt has been asked to create a period drama based in New York now. Sounds interesting! I've never seen Sherlock but I often see that guy who plays him-he's got a strange name, right? I'm currently watching season 2 of Madmen and very frustrated with Don Draper! We also watch Homeland. I love it. That's our only tv watching.

Benedict Cumberbatch. I love his name, it sounds very classy.

Yay! I'm so happy you have a date with the dh L!!!

I applied for a job. It's at Cornell & the same level/title as my previous boss. I'm not sure if that's really what I want to do, but like we just encouraged Erin, it can't hurt to apply. I may not even get an interview, much less an offer. We'll see.

Good luck Chrissy!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have a crush on Sherlock/Benedict Cumberbatch. He is awesome. His character is sociopathic, although completely endearing. DH was commenting that he is much more believable as a loveable sociopath than Dexter.

Chrissy, You Can Do It!

That's awesome, Chrissy! I hope you get an interview! Sending vibes your way!

I've heard back from the college that I applied to for a post graduate course and the girl in the admissions office is totally confused by my American education. I felt extremely insulted after having faxed her my transcripts and she came back to me and said that she didn't think I had the qualifications to enter the course. I am not one who offends easily at all, but when it comes to my smarts, I am not on the low end of the spectrum. I sent her an e-mail back saying that she needed to speak to the organisation that deals with comparing education systems because they've told me that my qualifications are on par with a British education (and having spent time in British high schools, I can tell you that the American system that I graduated from was much more thorough!)

Any how, I'm hoping it all gets cleared up and they at least offer me an interview!

Good luck, Chrissy! I hope you get it.

I got Mira's "Progress Report" today. Apparently, she's social, communicative, polite, independent, self aware, disciplined, persistent, motivated, and a hard worker. Pretty sure her teacher has her mixed up with someone else.

LOL Suja! I'm sure Mira is all those things!

Ash, sorry you were looked down on for your American education

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Benedict Cumberbatch. I love his name, it sounds very classy.
    He is one sexy beast omg
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Quote Originally Posted by beanpop View Post
    He is one sexy beast omg
    I actually don't find him attractive. More for you I guess! ;)

LOL at your PTC Suja!! I also am sure Mira is all those things. I had a PTC today for Elle so that is a big coincidence!! She is also doing well except she keeps acting like she does not know what rhyming words are. Her teacher looked funny when I told her Elle tells me all the time about how she is learning about rhyming words and she will send off a slew of them as examples. We also read a lot of nursery rhymes and Dr. Seuss, which she has memorized, so I know she knows how to rhyme. She likes to trick people though. I also found out that she can read sentences of 5-6 words in length!! I didn't know that so she is keeping things from me too. Today she read "The rat ran from the cat" During their circle time. She has been working on sight words and the teacher says she knows about 50 of them already. I know she has a great memory but I was impressed! They also said she is talking more at school. She just started there in August and at first they didn't think she talks much, now they know she is a silly billy chatter box (what I call her lol).

Chrissy, I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get that job. Where you are now seems to really be...I can only think of frantic. I also hope they institute your idea regarding the laptops even if you do leave so that it will cut down the work load for your co-workers.

And Ash I hope they find someone capable of translating your transcripts. I have heard that there are formulas they are supposed to use for international students here in order to have grades interpreted correctly. Also certain firms do it for a price but will give the student/graduate a copy of the interpretation for their own records and to send along with the original transcripts. Hopefully they do something like that over in the U.K. as well.

Is their grading system that much different from ours? I wouldn't think that it would be all that different considering how many people I know who have studied in the U.K.

Erin

I think that was rather rude of her. If she was in any way uncertain, she should have admitted that she'd have to look into it further and then conferred with someone who was knowledgable about international students. That kind of thing irritates me.

You guys are too funny. I only applied for a job to make myself feel better...to give myself the illusion of options. I'm not sure I'm qualified for the job, nor that I'd want it. But thanks anyway.

We have a family date planned for tomorrow. Rich is kindly taking my favorite coworker's son (Faye and her son Forrest) hunting on Sunday because he doesn't have anyone else to take him (he's 17). Forrest and Rich haven't met, although Faye has met Rich and I've met Forrest. We're all getting together tomorrow night at Faye's house for pizza and wings so the guys can meet and chit-chat. I've been texting with Faye all evening and we're both nearly giddy at the idea of spending time together outside of work. She's especially thrilled to have someone trustworthy to take her son out to the woods. It's something he's wanted to do, but doesn't have many people willing or able to take him. Anyway, she's a great person and any time spent with her is bound to be a good time.

Yay Chrissy, I hope everyone has a good time! Erin, I'm glad Elle is doing so well. I have a PTC on the 5th so I will let you guys know how it goes.

I had to pick up Josh in the middle of the day today. The nurse called me and said he had a pain in his side and a bad cough. I knew he had a cold but apparently he took a turn for the worse at school. I took him to the pedi this evening and they said it was just a bad cold. She told me the school must have been afraid he had pneumonia, because a cough and a pain in the side are symptoms. But he really seems okay. His energy is not really down and he's just really congested, sneezing and coughing

Awww...there are a lot of people around here with lingering coughs. Including myself. I'm still coughing from what was ailing me last week. I hope he feels better soon.

SCUBJIA! I wore my cowboy boots for the first time in more than six years. My feet hurt but in a really good way. I used to go dancing at the Broken Spoke all the time when I was single. I loved going two-stepping and would come home with sore tired feet. My dh doesn't dance at all and I am so sad about it. We went out to dinner tonight and my outfit just went together with my boots and I am so happy to feel them on my feet - reminds me of good times when I felt hot and fun! Not so much anymore. Oh well. I have my second art show of three starting tomorrow. We got ready by 5 today so went out for a really nice long dinner. Now I am up drinking water trying to pre-recover from a hangover I can't bear to have tomorrow!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Yay for cowboy boots!!!! I'm so jealous. I want a pair. I've seriously been thinking about treating myself to some. With a matching hat, of course.

Did you get a chance to dance in them, or just wear them? I can relate to being married to a non-dancer. Poor Rich, bless his heart he did try in the last 2-3 years, but it was too late by then. I think if you like dancing, you should do it. Maybe not all the time of course but once every couple months go out with a gf and have yourself a dancing good time. It's harmless and we only live once.

Just my two cents.

No dancing, just wearing! It doesn't help that I think my feet have grown by a half size since being pg. I think about going dancing every once in a blue moon when dh is out of town and J is at my mom's house, but then I would have to go by myself since my sister (who was my Broken Spoke partner in crime) lives in Germany now. They are coming back for a couple weeks in December - maybe I can get her to come out with me. Then I also psyche myself out because I weigh about 35 pounds more and am 15 years older - I am certain I wouldn't get nearly as many avid dance partners! But you are right, I should just go and have fun. I used to be able to just go by myself because I knew everyone there. That was nice.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Oh, and you should definitely get a pair! They make you feel really sassy!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    No dancing, just wearing! It doesn't help that I think my feet have grown by a half size since being pg. I think about going dancing every once in a blue moon when dh is out of town and J is at my mom's house, but then I would have to go by myself since my sister (who was my Broken Spoke partner in crime) lives in Germany now. They are coming back for a couple weeks in December - maybe I can get her to come out with me. Then I also psyche myself out because I weigh about 35 pounds more and am 15 years older - I am certain I wouldn't get nearly as many avid dance partners! But you are right, I should just go and have fun. I used to be able to just go by myself because I knew everyone there. That was nice.
    I'm sure you'd have dance partners! You notice yourself more than others...you're still hot. Anyway, it's just for fun. When I go out, it's usually with a group but I have a hard time finding people that like to dance. They prefer to stand around or play pool. So I dance by myself. That generally gets men to invite themselves to dance with me, which sometimes is ok but most often is not. But dancing is fun and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Oh, and you should definitely get a pair! They make you feel really sassy!
    It's a real perk up here 'cause not many Yankee women wear them, but when they do they definitely get noticed. They're at the top of my 'wish list' for myself. Now that I have a Keurig.

Well, they aren't tooooo terribly expensive. Mine are plain black mid-calf with a roach-killer toe, low heel. They cost maybe $90 - I'm sure you could find some online for less. They aren't terribly warm in snow though, as I am sure you are aware. If you get some you must post a pic!