Page 1227 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 22772711271177121712251226122712281229123712771327 ... LastLast
Results 36,781 to 36,810 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh Mandy noooo I'm so very sorry hon.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I'm sorry Mandy. I'll be thinking of you.

Best of luck tomorrow, Erin!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Mandy. I hope you are wrong.

Mandy, I'm so sorry.

Best of luck Erin.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Oh Mandy, I am so heartbroken for you. I did a mini-stalk and saw that you were not on progesterone. Are you going to try again? If so will your RE give you some progesterone supplements? I am just so angry that this is happening to you and want so much for you to get your LO.

And sorry about your car too. Car trouble stinks and it always seems to happen while one is going through something else, seemingly to build upon the frustration of an already frustrating situation. I'm having some issues with my van right now. When I turn on the defroster, I think some fluid is leaking under the hood as it started billowing smoke. Luckily it is running though.

Hugs to you! I also hope you are wrong. But if you are right, I hope you are able to give it another go.

Erin

Thanks, Erin. I am going to try again but first I want to let my thyroid hormones level out again. Next time around I will insist on the progesterone, too. I've been bleeding pretty heavily so as far as I'm concerned I'm out. Thanks for commiserating about my car, too. It does seem like ths cars know when to break down, doesn't it?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy, I think that when you're ready your RE should work up a plan with this drug you took the last time. Maybe combined with progesterone or whatever else might help your little bean stick. Will you be trying to determine the cause of this loss with the RE?

It's ok if you don't want to share. I only ask out of concern but also will respect your privacy if that's what you need.

Our cars are conspiring against us. I didn't even check in with my brother today. I know he listed 3-4 things he could try, but that he also has to work to earn money so...if he had been able to fix it, it would have been in front of my house when I got home. I've decided to take Friday morning off and spend it playing a circus monkey for the DMV and jump through all the hoops they set before me and get the VW registered so I can use that in the interrum.

I'm not worried about privacy. I'm just angry and frustrated and it's just so much effort to talk about it. I'll get over it. Not sure what the plan will be but the RE doesn't seem to know what my problem is. Likely in this case it is my thyroid again. So angry because I thought we had that under control.

You have every right to be angry. It's unfair.

I'm so sorry Mandy

I feel so disappointed for you, Mandy. I'm truly sorry. I hope what they say is true, and your body is "sorting it out" as you get progressively closer to fulfilling your wish. I do feel heartbroken, as Erin says. *Big huge, squeezy hug.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    So we are all moving to Cali then, is it?
    Hmmm. Yes, please.

Savana sounds a bit like DH's brother, who does have OCD. He doesn't like feeling constricted by clothing, particularly in the cold months. I've had to ask him to put his seatbelt back on while in the car because he doesn't like the way it feels against him. He's the one you'll find in shorts and a t-shirt when it's blizzarding. So I hope it isn't SAD, but an extension of her already existing compulsions. There are a couple herbs I'd read about that are good for compulsive behavior - although you'd need an herbalist or naturopath to guide you on dosage and such for Savana; they're Ashwagandha and Rhodiola (helped along with Green Tea, I've also read). I have used Rhodiola myself as an adaptogen for long distance bike races. I felt clearer in the head and it definitely gave me more stamina, so I myself felt the need to get better guidance from my naturopath on usage to make sure I wasn't overdoing anything. I'm just throwing that out there, Bridget, in case you're looking for naturopathic solutions.

You and Erin's caulking stories have inspired me to seal the area around the base of my toilet with a caulk strip. We put in a floating pergo floor last year to cover the ugly old one, and the raw edges of the flooring where they meet the toilet are unsightly. I'm probably the only one who notices them, but it'll feel good to know I got that done. Thanks for the motivation!
    Last edited by demigraf; 11-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Oh Mandy I'm so so so sorry

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Not me....this Wisconsin girl is staying put. We did apply for a few jobs in cali years ago but found at least in our fields that the pay didn't make up for the increase in housing. We didn't apply for many. I do have a uncle out there...he's between Sacramento and Reno I think...right before the mountains.
    I don't like the snow and whine about driving in it, but I need the seasons to change.
    If we ever had to leave WI, I think that we would have minnesota as a top choice as well as Vermont.
    DH had interviewed for some jobs in Philly and New Jersey right as I did mine....I got the offer first so we took it but had he gotten his first, we would have been in Jersey for the awful storm. Hurricanes and earthquakes scare me....probably because I have never experienced either. Give me a blizzard anyday over those! Even a bad one only takes like two days to dig out and since our power lines are so much newer and less demand, power loss is rare and usually short.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'd move to Cali, for sure! After suffering through 10 English winters, I'll gladly give up the cold weather! I have a touch of OCD myself and hate things like coats, scarves and gloves. I cannot wear gloves at all for the way they make me feel, so I often have very cold painful fingers!

Mandy, I am so sorry to hear your news. I feel so upset for you; I wish there were more comforting words to say. :'(

Oh my gosh, I cannot imagine living without scarves and gloves! I made my current scarves and I like them extra wide and long so I can wrap it over my head like a hat and over my face. Breathing in cold air is something that can irritate my asthma so I have to watch that.
    And I like gloves, they are kind of stylish looking with a nice wool coat. I just don't like when my thin leather ones aren't enough. I have a pair that are heavy duty adult mittens that I can use for extreme cold or if I'm out shoveling snow.
    It's not uncommon for us to have many days, especially in Jan. when we don't even get above 0 and that is before wind chill. So no gloves would mean frostbite within minutes. The good thing is that cold usually means super sunny days with the prettiest blue skies we get all year.

We had enough snow on election day on the grass at least that DH was able to make snowballs and he was throwing them at Molly. LOL She was like what the heck is this stuff? She was so little last winter and got cold easily and we didn't get the electric fence installed until the spring so she wasn't outside in the snow much at all.
    Cosmo likes the cold (to a point) and Molly likes heat....if she is being too feisty, I turn the fireplace on and she will go lie in front of it and just chill out watching the flames until she falls asleep.

My relatives just got to my house and I'm still at work. Boo. I would try to leave early but I think DH, his mom and uncle are going to nap after their drive up and DH because he worked last night so hasn't slept yet. But I'm off tomorrow and we are doing an early Thanksgiving this weekend.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've been reading that book on spirited children, and that's one of the things it mentions-having a problem with the texture of clothes. Tags on the backs of shirts, seams on socks, a loose thread, etc. It's because they are more sensitive. I know Savana is a very sensitive child emotionally, maybe she also physically sensitive. Josh gets all panicky at warm water, he says it's hot.

I think a lot of people are sensitive about clothes-DH feels choked when he wears turtlenecks. He kicks off his shoes the second he gets in the house. Me, I don't care. I wear my clothes and usually shoes right up until I'm about to go to bed and then I put on pajamas. I'm even suffering through a pair of too small pants today. I need to go shopping LOL

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mandy, again, I'm so heartbroken for you.

I would totally welcome a California migration along with Mylah. Come join us!

I found a trick to caulking is to slightly wet a gloved finger while doing it to smooth the caulk down and decrease any bubbles or irregularities. It also seems to help the adherence.

It looks like we are moving after all. In 3 weeks I have to pack up our whole house and get everything done, and then by the end of December I have to get our place ready to sell. DH and my realtor came up with a brilliant plan of asking the sellers if they would be willing to offer us a lease with option to buy, and they were. This gives us a chance to move out of our house and sell it while it's empty. The sellers have rent money to tide them over, and a hefty fee if we don't end up buying it at the end of this. We get to live in the house we love, with a contract we agreed to that we can engage any time in the next six months. We just have to pay double (rent and mortgage) until our house sells. But now I have so much to do, and things like my MIL coming up to visit over Thanksgiving and a friend from out of town who wants to visit on Saturday "but only for 7 hours."

7 hours? Why such a specific number?

Good luck with everything with the house--packing sucks but you can do it!

Wow, L! I'm so happy for you guys! It sounds like your new house will be awesome for your family!

L Congrats but that is crazy for company to expect to be coming! Any chance you can get off work for a bit to help with having time to pack and move? Are you at least hiring movers to bring the stuff from one place to the other? (best thing we did last move....we packed and unpacked but they did the actual moving of most of the stuff....we moved our art and things that were very special to us).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, your weekend plans sound lovely. I hope you have an enjoyable time.

Wow L...I'm both happy and anxious for you! That's a LOT to accomplish in such a very short time, but definitely well worth it. I'm glad the sellers were receptive to the rent-with-option-to-buy idea!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    7 hours? Why such a specific number?

Good luck with everything with the house--packing sucks but you can do it!
    He didn't actually say he'd be here for 7 hours, it was just easier to translate for you guys the seemingly vast amount of time that he would be here, when in actuality what he said was more along the lines of "I'll come up around noon and we can hang out for a while and then do some stuff and then I'll head out when it's their bedtime."

I told him I couldn't do an all-day activity because I had too much packing to do, but I could do something for a short time. I know 7 hours isn't all day, but it sure seems like almost all day compared to most of the outings I take the kids on.

It's really difficult dealing with people who want to do stuff with us. My MIL and this friend and his son, both of them haven't seen us in a long time. Both of them know we're busy. Both of them are special and think they should be the exceptions to us not committing to social events. They don't know that other people are doing the same thing.

And I can't work less. I've been asked to work extra since one of my co-workers is flying to Germany tomorrow unexpectedly because her father is dying, and another one just asked for six weeks of medical leave. The past three days I've worked overtime and had no lunch and no breaks on two of those days. I came home starving and cranky. The other day I got my lunch break after I'd been at work for 7 1/2 hours.

Congrats on the house L!!!

I would probably have told the friend not to come. But I just had a discussion with my mom once again about how mean I am - like her mom lol, so one may not want to take my advice.

I also did pretty well on the GRE. I got a 160 on the Verbal and I do think I could have done better if I'd not focused on math, but what's done is done and that is a pretty good score. I felt like I aced the writing portions so I am hoping I got at least a 5.5 or 6, which is the highest score. People have to read the responses so I didn't get an automatic score for writing like the others.

And Bridget, in caulking, I just have a light hand, that is my trick. I don't get all the way close, but not too far away to where it is all dripping. I also use my fingers to touch it up and keep a wet cloth, usually one of Elle's old CDs to make sure there is no mess and everything looks neat. I love to caulk! You reminded me that now that it is getting kind of chilly here that I need to check the windows to see if they need caulking.

Erin

L, I am so glad you found a way to get the house after all. I know you will make it happen in the time that you have.

I found out recently they may be moving us to a different site at work. I'm a little terrified they will lose all my stuff in the move - it has happened before. But a real building that doesn't look like a derelict trailer park would be nice.

Erin, I knew you would do well on the GRE. Do they have a new scoring system? When I took it I think scores were 200-800 like the SAT. How do the scores work now?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-08-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Congrats Erin!

Mandy, it looks like they did change them in August 2011 http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores I do hope your work doesn't lose your stuff. How soon are they thinking this is going to happen?

Congrats Erin! You did very well!!

L, your work situation sounds like a nightmare. I know you'll pull it off, but it is sure to be an exhausting period.

Speaking of moves at work, we had 2 or 3 high level people quit and that started a mass re-organization of just about everybody in my building. Which means we're moving people. Lots of people. On top of everything else. We're expected to move entire departments to different floors. I'm not really looking forward to this at all. I still have 11 XP machines to replace, plus the new hires that come in (2 next week), and my mac guy that I've been dealing with for weeks now will need to be migrated to his mountain lion laptop as soon as ML becomes an officially supported OS by Cornell. So, any day now.

The Exchange team is gearing things up to migrate us to Office 365 (hence my need to get rid of all XP machines prior to that), and they've been making system changing in the background to prepare for this. 2-3 weeks ago, we found out that the conference rooms were still sending the "accepted" email when the admin assists scheduled the room, but the room remained open and available for others to over-book the room. It's taken me a week and a half to get CIT to own up to it (I suspected all along), and now there's a nightmare of figuring out who should be the owner, who should have what access to which rooms, and CIT is dragging their feet and telling me that they can't give me a time for when this can be done. The management tool has already been switched over, so we can SEE these settings (if we have access rights), but we can't change them. Oh, and the real kicker is the 'owner' of those resources no longer works for us and hasn't in a while. So the admin assist that's supposed to be the owner can't even look at the current settings for the conference rooms to see who has what access. :/ I'm caught in the middle and I know at some point the admin assists are gonna start giving me flack because they're getting kinda tired of scheduling meetings just to find the rooms already in use when they get there.

Sorry about the long rant...it was just one of those days. And I don't know how to be succinct. Since this job is just too too much, and it only took 8.5 months to make me cry from being so overwhelmed, I think I'm going to start looking for another position. I really don't think this is a good fit for me...much as I love my coworkers.

Did you guys see this https://my.barackobama.com/page/shar...20121108_jm_nd

Obama got genuinely emotional. I didn't think it was possible to love him more, but I do.

Oh Chrissy big hugs to calm all your stress. I wish you luck on finding a new position, it seems like they are just being irrational in a lot of ways with the way you describe your work situation. They don't think they need to hire a few more people? Unfortunately, it sounds like my job.

And Mandy, like Chrissy linked, they did change the scoring of the GRE. It is now from 130-170 for both Verbal and Math sections and 1-6 for writing. I got a 150 on math, which was MUCH better than I thought I would get. I was worried I would get a 130, the lowest score lol. Even though I used to be really good at math, one forgets all those formulas and equations when they aren't in weekly use. I worked my way up to exponents and general algebra and left it at that. Plus the new test is computer based and they don't just give you random questions to answer like the old test. They are based on your knowledge level, so in areas where you excel they will give you harder problems and you may get a higher score due to knowing how to do more advanced problems. It also isn't as long as it once was with the endless questions - that's what other people tell me anyway. I finished everything with no problems and had 5-10 minutes left after each section to go back over and review everything. I think I second guessed myself in the Verbal section and changed a few correct answers and I keep thinking about it and kicking myself. But really in all the schools I want to apply, the average for Verbal and Analytical Writing (those are the only two they really look at since it is a liberal arts focus) are 154 and up and 5-6 for writing - except Columbia where you have to get a 5-6 writing and 95th percentile for Verbal, which I didn't get but most of the schools, including Columbia do not base admission soley on GRE scores or GPA and from the people I talked to the personal statement and recommendations are more important than the test. At a couple schools - Emory and UPenn, they even said they just want to make sure applicants are in the 70th percentile for Verbal and 4.5 and up for writing, which shocked me a little. So I should be good. I am hoping my professors give me some stellar recommendations and one of the schools said for us applicants who have been out of school for a while, we could also have someone who knows our work to provide a letter so I am going to ask my old boss, who I adore and who is a great friend of mine and who I know would give me an excellent recommendation.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 11-08-2012 at 09:25 PM.