Page 1226 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 226 726 1126 1176 121612241225122612271228 1236 1276 1326 ... LastLast
Results 36,751 to 36,780 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Leo was so excited that Obama won. He voted for him in school today too. So did most of his class. That's what the graph said. Lol. He was also anxious to see if "pop" 30 was gonna win because his teachers were talking about it today.
    Anna Mommy to 4 boys!! 16 yrs., 14 yrs., 7 yrs., and baby.
    Mean people produce little mean people!!

I'm still excited!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I went on sort of a mini rant on twitter last night. I was mostly angry at DH and our communication problems but I took it out on twitter. I said we can't rely on ancient "values" in a modern society and if you think that denying people the right to marry the person they love is a value, you can unfollow me. I didn't lose anybody...but nobody really pays attention to me anyway. LOL

Awww Kate. I have a twitter account, but I almost never look at it.

I never look at my twitter either. Someone signed me up, I think my little cousin lol.

I am so glad the election is over.

I don't think I told you ladies, but tomorrow is my GRE test. I am somewhat nervous as I don't feel that I've studied enough Verbal (vocab, reading, writing) as I was focusing on math thinking that I would do fairly well on Verbal as I was an English major and I read a lot and I write a lot of argument responses of essay lengths on various internet sources lol.

But I am going to apply at Columbia and they say they like their students to score within the 95th percentile for Verbal and when I re-read that recently, I was like "why didn't I just not study math and only study Verbal?" I think I should have just focused on Verbal. But eh...test is tomorrow so I hope they don't throw words at me that I don't know what they are. I have been using an online software for test prep and I am doing pretty well based on their scoring models for Verbal. Also, I really don't want to live in NYC even though Columbia houses resources that precisely fit my interest, which is the only reason why I am applying to them. I keep thinking since I don't want to live there that I'll get in lol. Stuff like that always happens to me.

Erin

Erin, you're a natural with verbal. I don't think you have to worry. You will rock the test.

Would you move the kids to NYC if you get into Columbia?

Big standardized test hugs from here!!!

Erin, you'll do great, I have no doubt. Good luck!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I follow celebs on twitter. It's a great way to get advance notice about concerts, contests and stuff. Plus sometimes they actually respond to me. LOL

Back when NKOTB first reunited there was a big frenzy of course and I met a lot of new people and talked to them, shared stories, etc. But now that that's died down twitter's not as active for me.

I got a couple positive responses about my tirade, anyway.

Good luck Erin!

Lots of happiness in my house last night too!

Erin, I think that you will do great at verbal!

Haha Kate....did you see this one I posted on FB....Says "The fact that you can't sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we've already redefined marriage."
    My dad replies....that is too bad, I could have used three goats and a cow. lol

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes, we would all move to NYC. It is for a PhD program and at Columbia and many other top schools they fully fund all accepted PhD candidates and they are provided a living stipend and given resources to find cheaper than average housing. NY is way too expensive for my taste but I know DH would love it as he loves big cities - all except LA because he thinks (and don't take offense our CA ladies) that California is filled with "fruits and nuts" lol! He got that from a Steinbeck novel. I think "East of Eden" and has loved that phrase ever since, especially because his "ex-baby momma" is from CA and he considered her both a fruit and a nut.

My DH wants to move away from here and the contract that my company is working under may not be renewed at the end of the fiscal year, so we were looking to go back up north.

Where else are you looking at Erin?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL. Plenty of fruits and nuts here, and I'm not offended. Good luck with Columbia. You should be fine there. I know it's competitive, but you seem to be a really good student and have done well academically so far.

Good luck, Erin!

Mandy, I know it's a loaded question but...how are you? I just have been thinking about you constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Lots of happiness in my house last night too!

Erin, I think that you will do great at verbal!

Haha Kate....did you see this one I posted on FB....Says "The fact that you can't sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we've already redefined marriage."
    LOL yes, I did see that, and I love it. We have redefined marriage more times than that, and I'm sure someday future generations will look back and wonder what took us so long.

Oh, except tell your DH that LA is very different from the rest of CA, as I'm sure you already know. Even the rest of the state has it in for Los Angeles, which I find funny. (I posted that weird video on my FB page - The "LA, You're Not Berkeley Enough" Rap, which my friend sent me and I didn't really get, but thought it had a couple funny lines.) I actually once wrote an essay on my old website about LA haters - back when there were no blogs and I was using my website as a sort of a blog. Basically, it just had to do with my observations about how people hate L.A. because they perceive their town as being in some rivalry with it, or they form opinions of the place based on what they see on T.V. or one or two people they meet from LA. Then people from L.A. who are on the receiving end of the hate are just like, "Wha? Huh?" because they're totally oblivious to the fact that there's some sort of competition going on. It totally cracks me up. Anyway, Erin, I'd hate to think you'd pass up an opportunity to study at a good university elsewhere in CA like Stanford or something (that might have a suitable program for you) based on your hubby's idea that there's no gravitas to the place. Geographically, it is really far away from you, though, I know, and with all the excellent schools on your side of the country, you don't really have to look westward. I'm just sure L & I would LOVE to have you near us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    ....did you see this one I posted on FB....Says "The fact that you can't sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we've already redefined marriage."

I am all looking at University of Pennsylvania, Emory here in Atlanta, Ohio State University, University of Chicago, and Georgia State University, here in Atlanta as well.

DH thinks I'll get into an Atlanta school so we will have to stay here. But who knows, I may not get into any as all of them, even Georgia State are rather competitive, UPenn, Emory, Columbia, and UofC, are the most competitive. The only one that said the even look at the GRE test in regards to qualifications was Columbia though and I see why they do as they are the most competitive on the list and get a thousand applicants per year for the degree program I am seeking, they only accept about 20 people per year. I did have excellent grades in undergrad but that was sometime ago and if I cannot get into any of the above, I can always go back to my undergrad university for an MA, as I feel I may be out of sorts in academic writing/relevant topics, and then get more involved in current trends before going for the PhD at a later time.

Erin

Myles, I have thought that I may want to apply to Berkeley or Stanford, and there are a ton of great schools in California. I have met the department heads of UC Irvine and Berkeley as they are good friends of the department head at my alma mater and recently came a couple months ago to put California in the minds of us who are thinking of furthering our education via a graduate degree.

It is so far though. My mom would probably trip out if I moved out west. But if this time does not turn out, and I go back for the MA I will probably apply to Irvine, Berkeley and Stanford because they have such stellar programs.

I also have told DH that he has a CA bias. His "ex-baby momma" was from Bakersfield and she had family in LA so he used to visit out there a lot. He didn't like either one of those areas. My former boss used to live in San Diego and is considering moving back there in 5 years as she loved it. She cracks me up because she said even the ghetto in San Diego is nice compared to big cities east of the Mississippi. I told my dad that and he agreed. His half brother lives in San Diego and he used to visit them a lot when he was driving big rigs a few years ago and his brother's son lives in the ghetto in San Diego and dad thought it was crazy how nice the ghetto was lol!

Erin

Aww, you see... now you're just building my hopes up that you could still move out here. I feel like you would fit right in, and I have so many people I'd be proud to introduce you to. (I mean, proud because of you, not proud because of them, although they're pretty cool too. LOL.)

Stanford, btw, is great of course, but it's so expensive that even my friends who work there and are entitled to subsidized tuition don't plan to send their kids there because they'd be better off getting reimbursed sending their kids to a UC like Berkeley, UCLA, Santa Cruz, San Diego, Irvine, etc. And then there are the Cal State unis too, which are not as highly regarded as the UCs but they have some good programs. My niece is looking at Cal State Long Beach for a physical therapy program. I hope she heads our way. We'd totally try to get her to move in and manage our house nearby there. Maybe she could room with some of her friends.

Not that we could easily get rid of our current tenant in that house. I'm still scratching my head at how she is an OR nurse. She is an incoherent nervous wreck every time I talk to her. Seriously, in every other sentence, she mentions how she's been so stressed out about one thing or another lately and she's sorry if she sounds out of sorts. Yet somehow she manages to pay her rent 10 days in advance every month. It's one of my great mysteries.

Good luck Erin!!

psst...I see you neglected to add Cornell to the list of schools you're applying to. I'm sure you'll rectify that ASAP!

Oh, Erin, what about Oxford over here or Cambridge? We're going to start fighting over you soon! Good luck with it all!

People on FB are annoying me today, feeling sorry for themselves and complaining. Whinging whine bags they are! (Whinge is an awesome Brit word!)

Chrissy, I did look into Cornell! They require a subject GRE test, I didn't sign up for it and now it is too late as I don't think it will be enough time to study and take the test before Cornell's deadline. They are only one out of like 20 schools I looked at who require the subject test and not just the general GRE.

ETA: Stanford offers full funding plus stipend for all graduate students in the field I am pursuing so the actual tuition/fees portion would be covered there. I would only worry about general living expenses as I don't know much about that area in regards to affordability and so I see it more like NYC as somewhere too expensive for me. DH's CA bias also speaks of how expensive things are there so I think he has rubbed off on me. As someone who is super frugal, I would dread moving to an expensive place just because of the cost of things, especially housing.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 11-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Bummer Leave it to Cornell.

My friends who live in Menlo Park nearby Palo Alto are paying $2300 for a small, but well-kept, non-descript 2 BR apartment. They're currently targeting a home in the $850k range to stay in the area where they can still walk everywhere and bike to work (both @ the univ). They're having a hard time finding a home that *cheap*. East Palo Alto is adjacent, and much more affordable (by CA standards), but also has the reputation of being the violent crime capital of the area.

You'd definitely have to think of the CA dollar as a different currency, like the Yen or Pound sterling. It is like moving to a different country with its own unique economy. Coffee isn't (necessarily ;)) $5 here, but some basics like gas, insurance and housing do just cost more. Target/Walmart prices are the same, though. Good, fresh food is plentiful and cheap year round. And the wages do offset the cost of living. If planned correctly, the higher wages can translate into a higher savings rate. Also, for example, a 500k home that increases 10% in value will yield greater profit than a comparable 100k home out of state that appreciates at the same rate in the same amount of time. (You just have to be ok with having your money tied up in your home while it appreciates.) And then you can take your extra savings/earnings and retire out of state if you like. I'm just trying to sell you on coming out here because I'd be so happy about it.

I sometimes try to convert what some of you would be earning here in Cali doing the same jobs whenever one of you mentions your income. Like, one of my friends runs an at-home daycare by herself in my neighborhood, and she works very hard and is very good at it. There's always a waiting list. She easily pulls in 6 figures. I think Bridget would be a hot ticket in this area with all she has to offer. Just sayin'.

Aaand that's the end of my break.

The department head at UC Irvine also told me that wages are greater in CA than in other places so that in a lot of ways they even out in regards to expenses. I have also heard the same from people from NYC, who move here for a better cost of living and are surprised at how poorly people here are paid.

For example, I have a friend who is a prison guard in our county jail. He is from NY. The county jail here starts off at $25K if you have a degree it is $35K. In NYC if he worked at Rikers he would make about $70K. The mother of my roommate in college worked at Rikers Island as a prison guard and she make over $90K per year. So there is a big difference.

The daycare stuff is amazing IMO as well. My mom, when she did her daycare, didn't make all that much money. She loved her job though so it was worth it, but she usually only pulled a little under $60K per year and that is with 24 hour daycare Mon-Sat. She also did after school care for siblings of the babies and she did 3rd shift, was the only one in our area who did, so made most of her money that way.

If she was here in Atlanta, even though the cost per week is almost the same as Ohio, (I only paid $100 a week for Elle at her previous daycare and only $160 per week now at her preschool) she would make more money because more people self pay and don't rely on our state's daycare assistance. It is difficult to get the assistance here if you work, which is weird, mostly students who work part time that I know of get it. So people who do homebased daycares usually make quite a bit of money if they are between the amounts weekly that I paid for Elle. Babies have to pay more but people will pay extra for good food and attention for their kids and be happy they moved from Chicago or NY or LA, as I know people from all those places who say they easily pay more than $1000K per month for daycare or near that for Chicago. My former daycare provider told me she usually brought home about $2000 per week just working the daycare by herself, which is great for only watching 6-8 kids Mon-Fri, day shift only.

Erin

That's it. I'm applying for jobs in CA. I'm done with winters!! lol

So we are all moving to Cali then, is it? I'm ready for a change! I am pretty sure we are actually saving money with what I was getting this summer. All my families were on assistance and and they were paying me less than $4 an hour which after the price of the food and supples I was buying, it just wasn't making me any money. These were families I'd cared for for years though so wasn't about to turn them away. Also could have asked for a co-pay but they could just go to a center and the gov't covers the full amount, or closer to it, in that case.

I'm really happy right now just homeschooling my kids and I don't miss doing daycare at all. It's really great to be able to focus all of my attention on my own kids. I have to finish out this week with the before and after school and driving the kids and then we will be free as birds

Erin, you've inspired me once again. I'm going to attempt to caulk my bathroom tonight. Lol. I remember you saying you always did that yourself. I don't know wtf dbf was thinking but he did an awful job and globbed it on so thick that when I try to wash it, it starts to tear away. It's looking pretty awful. Or was looking pretty awful. I've gotten most of it up now. I can't figure out why he does a crap job at our house when I know he has done these sorts of jobs for other people and they would not pay him if it looked like that. Wouldn't you want your own house to look the best?

I am starting to think Savana gets that seasonal depression. She is not a fan of the cold weather, or I should say she is not a fan of putting warm clothes on. She HATES socks and coats and all that jazz. She'd sooner go out in 40 degree weather with bare feet, I swear. I have to call her back in and make her put stuff on and she insists she is fine. Anyway, since the weather turned here she is coming back to some of her old compulsive behaviours. They were at their worst in the heart of the winter. I think she really actually NEEDS the elements of nature. In the warm months she will literally sit in the grass in the front yard for hours. Poor darling. We will have to get her somewhere warm year round in the near future.

Oh dear. That's so sad...especially if it is seasonal.

I'm hoping to get through it this year a little easier. I've been talking to her about it and how we have to try to get outside and enjoy the winter. It is easier to stay inside when it's cold. I am guilty of that myself. I've been scouring craigslist and want to get snowshoes for all of us and beginner skis for them to go up and down our back yard which is a big hill. I've already found one pair of children's snowshoes and possibly a pair for me. Skis I am having a hard time with as there are so many choices and I'm not a skier (sp? 2 i's?) myself so not sure of the feature I need to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Mandy, I know it's a loaded question but...how are you? I just have been thinking about you constantly.
    Thanks for asking, hon. Not too good. Looks like it is definitely over as I've been bleeding all last night and today. To top it all off, DH's truck (which is our only working vehicle) broke down and I can't even get it into the shop before Friday. Depending on the cost of repairs it may need to wait another pay cycle. I had to get a ride to work from G, who was lovely and came to get me. Also the election ... Lost on a state ballot measure that would have prevented a huge financial deficit for the schools here. Without it, we will be closing somewhere between 10-30 schools. All in all, a horrible night. I did go to work today and I'm glad I did - as I could just focus on work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Myles, I have thought that I may want to apply to Berkeley or Stanford, and there are a ton of great schools in California. I have met the department heads of UC Irvine and Berkeley as they are good friends of the department head at my alma mater and recently came a couple months ago to put California in the minds of us who are thinking of furthering our education via a graduate degree.

It is so far though. My mom would probably trip out if I moved out west. But if this time does not turn out, and I go back for the MA I will probably apply to Irvine, Berkeley and Stanford because they have such stellar programs.

I also have told DH that he has a CA bias. His "ex-baby momma" was from Bakersfield and she had family in LA so he used to visit out there a lot. He didn't like either one of those areas. My former boss used to live in San Diego and is considering moving back there in 5 years as she loved it. She cracks me up because she said even the ghetto in San Diego is nice compared to big cities east of the Mississippi. I told my dad that and he agreed. His half brother lives in San Diego and he used to visit them a lot when he was driving big rigs a few years ago and his brother's son lives in the ghetto in San Diego and dad thought it was crazy how nice the ghetto was lol!

Erin
    Yeah, San Diego is awesome. That's one of the grad programs I applied to. I got in, but the school here had a better program for me so I stayed. They have a great speech program, too, though. I would have loved to live there.

So, you are applying to UA too, right? It is a really good public university - more research focused, though. Not sure how it is with your area of interest but I actually suspect it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    So we are all moving to Cali then, is it? I'm ready for a change! I am pretty sure we are actually saving money with what I was getting this summer. All my families were on assistance and and they were paying me less than $4 an hour which after the price of the food and supples I was buying, it just wasn't making me any money. These were families I'd cared for for years though so wasn't about to turn them away. Also could have asked for a co-pay but they could just go to a center and the gov't covers the full amount, or closer to it, in that case.

I'm really happy right now just homeschooling my kids and I don't miss doing daycare at all. It's really great to be able to focus all of my attention on my own kids. I have to finish out this week with the before and after school and driving the kids and then we will be free as birds

Erin, you've inspired me once again. I'm going to attempt to caulk my bathroom tonight. Lol. I remember you saying you always did that yourself. I don't know wtf dbf was thinking but he did an awful job and globbed it on so thick that when I try to wash it, it starts to tear away. It's looking pretty awful. Or was looking pretty awful. I've gotten most of it up now. I can't figure out why he does a crap job at our house when I know he has done these sorts of jobs for other people and they would not pay him if it looked like that. Wouldn't you want your own house to look the best?

I am starting to think Savana gets that seasonal depression. She is not a fan of the cold weather, or I should say she is not a fan of putting warm clothes on. She HATES socks and coats and all that jazz. She'd sooner go out in 40 degree weather with bare feet, I swear. I have to call her back in and make her put stuff on and she insists she is fine. Anyway, since the weather turned here she is coming back to some of her old compulsive behaviours. They were at their worst in the heart of the winter. I think she really actually NEEDS the elements of nature. In the warm months she will literally sit in the grass in the front yard for hours. Poor darling. We will have to get her somewhere warm year round in the near future.
    Poor Savana. Tucson is warm, you know...
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12