Page 1213 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 21371311131163120312111212121312141215122312631313 ... LastLast
Results 36,361 to 36,390 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Aw, congrats to Jesi and yay for the new kitty!

I'm sure some people probably think she's too young, but whatever. I know Rich & I had a real thing when we were young and to see her with him...well, he's a good kid. I can't help but love him and Rich does too. Why wait? Maybe it won't be a 'forever' thing, but no one has that guarantee no matter how old they are. If they're happy, then that's all I care about.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Wow, that's big news! Congrats to Jesi.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Wow, that's big news! Congrats to Jesi.
    Maybe I'm emotionally retarded, but I'm not feeling much about it myself. I mean, of course I'm happy for her that she's in a relationship where she feeling like entering that phase because I want her to be happy. I guess I'm more in the 'we'll see how this plays out' mode right now. After she's entering the last stages of college (still not even on the rada), perhaps my emotions will change about it.

No pic of the kitty?
    I think you have the right attitude about Jesi's engagement.

Weellll...I was bad & didn't take any pics. There's this one from the ad I responded to

He's a cuddle-bug. He's a big boy and the first thing he wanted to do was eat. I couldn't get his food open fast enough. He got into Missy's food not even 5 minutes after being at our house. This morning he came right out as soon as I got up to remind me of his presence. And probably to remind me to feed him because he buried his head in his bowl as soon as I fed him.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 10-22-2012 at 06:05 AM.

I'm a sucker for orange kitties

I think that's a good attitude about Jesi as well. Bridget, did you get your wallet back?

I've been keeping up with reading this board, but haven't had a lot of time to post. Not a lot of time to do much of anything these days!
    AKA Lisa724

Oh I love orange kitties too. My beloved Nelson was a big orange & white love kitty. He seriously was the coolest cat, he was very curious and friendly and so affectionate. I miss him. I adopted him when he was 6 months old from a vet clinic I was working in. I had always had tabby or calico cats before. If I ever have another cat I will look for a male orange cat

Congrats to Jesi.

Hello Christina!!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

That's all I've ever had too..calico or orange. Except my very first kitty ever was a tiger cat with white paws. I named her Mittens.

Congrats on the new kitty! If I ever had one, I would want a cuddly one. Unfortunately DH is highly allergic to them.
    What is his name?

Yeah I don't know that I would be overly concerned about the engagement, especially a longer one. You can definitely find love young....my own parents were 18 and 21 when they got married. Next month it is 39 years.
    And I got with DH when I was 19 and he was 21. Didn't get engaged for two years and than had a three year engagement as we were finishing college.

But the fact that she said after college....that sounds really positive that she's thinking about college.

that sucks about the water heater. By law the landlord should have to get that fixed though....I would think that would be in NY as it is in WI. I don't even know what kind of heater I have. Thinking it's probably gas. I know the dryer is gas but my stove is electric. LOL

Dh is dropping off my van right now. Still we are both seriously irritated with that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy, that's awesome of you to take in kitty. He looks gorgeous, and from the sound of it, has moved in like he's always lived there. I also like your attitude about Jesi's engagement. I hope she follows through on the 'after college' part of it.

Jennifer, hope whatever ails your car is minor, and you'll get it back soon.

Chrissy, the kitty is soooo cute! What's his name? Did I miss that part? We used to have tons of cats growing up near farms and our first cat was an orange kitty named Morris. We mostly had smokey grey cats after that. I'd love a kitty one day again. Travis would love to have a pet; I just don't want the pet care duties right now.

And congrats to Jesi! I'm excited for her. I hope she does go to college and keeps making good choices!

His name is Tigger but it's not clear if that was his name all along, or if that's what the neighbors that had him in the interim called him. He responds to "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!"

Another pic of Tigger, this time at my house. I couldn't get one of him looking at me 'cause he objects to having his picture taken

Remember when I whined/vented about Conner expecting something every time we went in the store? He's gotten much better about that. It's funny how really not having any $ can do that.

Cute kitty! He looks like a tomcat we had for a while, years ago. My cat obsession got a little out of control back then and we had 6 cats at one point. (no judgement to anyone who has lots of cats and the ability to take care of them all but we had a small apartment and it was a little out of control) We left three of them with friends when we left Tennessee.

I'm glad Conner has gotten out of the habit of asking for something in stores. I'm still trying to get out of that. I'd tell him we have no money but he starts badgering me with questions: "Well how much money do you have with you? How much do you have in the bank? Can we go to the bank and get more money? How much money do we need to buy _________?" LOL

I love cats but hope to only have 1. I could see myself easily accumulating a lot more. My grandmother does...she takes in strays and has them spayed/neutered so often that the local vet cuts her a great deal. If I had to have one done now, I think I'd have her take it in for me

I know most of you have probably seen it, but I am just smitten with this little boy

He's so cute! He looks like an old man. (THE CAT! We posted at the same time. THE CAT looks like an old man!) Conner looks like a sweet little doll.
    I always have to have a chat with my kids before we enter any store to tell them exactly what we are there for and that they are not to grab things off shelves or ask me to buy them things. I have to remind Kai about every 2 minutes in the store as well. Then he's like, "ARGHHH! Sorry Mom!" So he tries and that's all I can ask.
    Homeschooling is going great. We usually do two formal lessons a day but they always take off from whatever we are doing and keep practicing whatever we were working on. I am using a waldorf style curriculum which uses stories and drawing for most lessons. So like today I used nuts from outside and squirrel puppets for Kai's math lesson. Before we started he was saying how bad he is at math and at the end he said, "I am GOOD at this!" lol I have their desks set up in the corner of the living room and they spend at least half the day there just by choice. Savana has gone from stomping around and arguing with everything I say to being an absolute dream. She does her chores every morning before she even comes to the breakfast table which a miracle in itself. It used to be an hour of crying just to get her to clean her room. She helps with Sawyer where she used to just cry about how much she hates having baby brother who messes with her stuff. I don't know if it's the act of homeschooling, the lack of the stress traditional school was putting on her, or just that she feels heard that I listened to her and pulled her out. Whatever it is, she is very content and that takes a huge burden off my heart let me tell you.
    I love you guys for being so supportive in this. I'm not sure I'd have had the courage to pull them out and do it if y'all hadn't had my back.

Oh, btw, met Kai's new dr today. Don't love him as he was a little judgy judgerton about Kai not being circumsized but he ordered a fasting blood panel for us and took my concerns seriously so I'm going to stick with him until we get through that at least. Going to bring Kai in some morning this week anytime after 6am.

I never doubted for an instant your ability to homeschool your kids. Some people...meh, I sorta wonder how they pull it off but you're not one of them.

I cannot believe that dr had the audacity to judge you for that choice. Wow. It's 2012, fella. It's actually quite common for parents to choose to skip circing. In fact, if it were solely up to me I wouldn't have allowed it to be done to Conner. But Rich really pushed and against my better judgement I consented. When we got him back, both of us cried. Rich even regretted it. But what was done was done. I don't ever bring it up and I do think I made peace with that decision...I probably shouldn't blame Rich even here because I did agree with him at that time. It's one of my few regrets.

So happy you and the kids are happy Bridget! It really is a perfect fit for your family.

Chrissy, Connor sure is handsome. Such a cute smile

I so feel for ya concerning the circ too. I didn't want to, and dh wanted to, so I caved. I felt a lot of guilt for a long time. I would wake in the night and cry,and hope ds didn't hold it against me. It took awhile to forgive myself. Mothers guilt is terrible.

G & I spent hours today playing at a park, we met a family from Portsmouth England on holiday for 2 weeks. Their sons were 5 & 7 and the three boys were having a blast playing together. The couple said how wet and dreary the weather was in England this summer. They are enjoying the sunny weather here. The boys found the sprinklers and completely drenched themselves. Oh to be young again!!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

How adorable! Connor and the kitty. Reminds me I promised Shelley a pic and haven't posted one. Since kitty only comes out at night (vampire kitty) I don't have good pics, but the ones they gave me before I adopted her are great. I'll post soon.

Bridget, I'm so glad you are homeschooling them. I agree with Chrissy that there are parents who probably shouldn't - but you can give your kids just what they need and as long as that is true, this is what is best for your family.

I suspect if I ever have a boy, he will be circed. Again, it is something DH wants and I just don't have the energy to fight. Sorry if that is awful but I know there will be plenty of times I will not "give" so I will give on that. Hope he appreciates it!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

he's pretty darn cute Chrissy!

Bridget so glad that the homeschooling is working so well so far for all of you. And at least this time it sounds like it's for a fasting panel. And really I think the doc still probably mostly sees circ'd boys....it's still more common to do it in the midwest than not.
    those of you who did it, don't feel so bad! My cousin didn't have it done at birth (he is adopted so it wasn't my aunts choice). By a year old he was having so many issues that he HAD to have it done. They really tried to not have it done at that point, because really who wants to do surgery and anesthesia on a one year old. But he was still in foster care and the docs said if they didn't agree to it, it would have been reported to the state as abuse for not getting proper medical care. It was so much worse getting it done on an older baby.
    We would like it done if we have a boy.....but we also might not get much say in the matter. I want a girl a bit more anyway so hopefully we don't have to even think about it or broach the topic.

So my van is leaking oil in a seam or something and basically to fix it they have to take the entire engine apart.....which means my van will be there at least a few days. they were surprised we caught it so quickly. Well it was pretty easy to see a wet area of oil on what was a pretty pristine garage floor.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Have you all seen the news about the spa mass shooting? I used to live within 10 minutes of there and shopped that mall frequently. Soon as they said the location, I knew the building in my head. They also did a lock down yesterday of the hospital I used to work at.....never experienced anything like that when i was there. Would be strange to be on lock down at work.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    SG & I spent hours today playing at a park, we met a family from Portsmouth England on holiday for 2 weeks. Their sons were 5 & 7 and the three boys were having a blast playing together. The couple said how wet and dreary the weather was in England this summer. They are enjoying the sunny weather here. The boys found the sprinklers and completely drenched themselves. Oh to be young again!!
    Yes---to be so young!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I suspect if I ever have a boy, he will be circed. Again, it is something DH wants and I just don't have the energy to fight. Sorry if that is awful but I know there will be plenty of times I will not "give" so I will give on that. Hope he appreciates it!
    That's exactly what my own thought-process was at the time too Mandy. The decision really isn't simply just to circ or not circ...it's about compromise and choosing your battles as well. It's a rough one, to be sure, but I personally do not think either choice is wrong. Sure, I wish it weren't the norm but the fact is...it IS the norm. So careful decisions have to be made. Then we (as moms) just have to remind ourselves that we made the best decision that we could at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    So my van is leaking oil in a seam or something and basically to fix it they have to take the entire engine apart.....which means my van will be there at least a few days. they were surprised we caught it so quickly. Well it was pretty easy to see a wet area of oil on what was a pretty pristine garage floor.
    Oh wow Jennifer! How disappointing. I'm glad you did find it as soon as you did. There's some heavy-duty degreaser stuff you can buy from the autoparts store to wash the garage floor...it's made just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Have you all seen the news about the spa mass shooting? I used to live within 10 minutes of there and shopped that mall frequently. Soon as they said the location, I knew the building in my head. They also did a lock down yesterday of the hospital I used to work at.....never experienced anything like that when i was there. Would be strange to be on lock down at work.
    I've heard something about it, but I haven't had a chance to watch the news yet and probably won't tonight. The debate just started (Romney sounds very nervous) and I'm already beat. Work is just killing me. I love it and it's fulfilling, but it's just a wee bit too much too often. I can rise to the occasion, but it feels like I'm doing that more often than not any more. It's burning me out.

Josh is circed and we never really regretted it.

I did not hear about the shooting Jennifer. It's so unnerving to hear about local things like that.

Bridget, I try the little chats before going into stores. Actually I try not to take him to stores anymore. Now that I'm not working it's not hard for me to get it done. But I digress. Josh is the type of child who you can say to them "now we're not getting anything this time" and he will say "okay mommy" and 2 minutes later he's throwing a fit or running down the aisles because he wants something. I'm learning from this book on spirited children that they can be like that. I haven't gotten to the part on how to deal with it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    ...Josh is the type of child who you can say to them "now we're not getting anything this time" and he will say "okay mommy" and 2 minutes later he's throwing a fit or running down the aisles because he wants something. I'm learning from this book on spirited children that they can be like that. I haven't gotten to the part on how to deal with it. LOL
    Maybe there isn't a way to deal with it

j/k...I know, not funny.

Noooo
    You may be right...in that there's no way to "fix" it but there must be a better way to handle the tantrum when it does come.

What I do with Mira is to tell her we are not buying anything for her ahead of time (several times), but allow her to hold things or play with things while we are in the store, with the understanding that she can only have them while we are in the the store. And I do buy her small things as a surprise if she is well behaved, every once in a while. Variable reward reinforcement.

I also don't regret Ky's circ. I didn't want to do it but DH did and really, I don't think it is that much of a big deal and it is always amazing to me the amount of fervor that comes out here at APA when it is brought up out in the open lol. It is just amazing to me. I just don't think about penises that much.

I probably would have laughed and joked with that doctor too. And probably have asked, ummmmmm, why are you so concerned with my son's penis.......? That would probably shut him up. Ky had the plasti-bell thing done. I had never heard of it back then. And when it finally came off, I didn't know it was supposed to and I asked DH about it and he was all emotional and actually started crying saying he shouldn't have done it and how he broke it lol! That was the last time I've seen him cry. I think he had been drinking when that happened lol. After the little plastic thing came all the way off and it looked "normal" he was okay but kept checking on it and was really concerned for a couple weeks.

Luckily we never have the store buying thing happen. So glad Conner stopped Chrissy. That would be annoying. Ky used to flip out at stores but not usually about me not buying him things because we were poor when he was younger I guess and because I am just cheap and hardly ever buy the kids anything at the store so I just don't think it was something they ever expect. Josh is funny though with the money asking questions. Both Ky and Elle like to ask if we can go out to eat. I ask them "do you have some restaurant money?" And go on on how fun it will be for them to treat us to dinner at a restaurant. Elle always says "I have money. I have about twenty!" All excited, she has 20 pennies in her "special box." I tell her she needs 2000 pennies at least to get us a sandwich or a burger and so she says one day she will save that many but she doesn't think they will fit in her box and in the meantime "Mommy, can't you just use your card?" LOL It is hard to explain the card to her. For a while she thought all plastic cards could buy things and found an old insurance card and took it to the dollar store and wanted to buy some candy with it. That time I did buy her a laffy taffy because she was so disappointed that one had to have a debit card and not just any old card to buy things.

Erin

I also don't see circing or not as a big issue and wouldn't dream of trying to persuade someone one way or another. Luckily since dbf is not from the US, him Mom from Germany, it's not something he felt was "normal" and it was about a 20 second coversation for us.

That is a cute story about Elle. Kai is always trying to pay me for doing things for him stemming from a job chart I made a long time ago with money values for each thing we did. I wanted to teach them about money and it intilled in him a belief that if you give someone money they will do what you want! lol. He will come in the kitchen with his money jar and ask how much it would cost him to get me to make him some popcorn. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I also don't see circing or not as a big issue and wouldn't dream of trying to persuade someone one way or another. Luckily since dbf is not from the US, him Mom from Germany, it's not something he felt was "normal" and it was about a 20 second coversation for us.

That is a cute story about Elle. Kai is always trying to pay me for doing things for him stemming from a job chart I made a long time ago with money values for each thing we did. I wanted to teach them about money and it intilled in him a belief that if you give someone money they will do what you want! lol. He will come in the kitchen with his money jar and ask how much it would cost him to get me to make him some popcorn. lol
    That's the ticket right there...especially with circing or not, but also with most other things, I couldn't imagine trying to persuade anyone in their parenting choices.

That's too cute! How much did you charge him?

When I was little I used to pretend to be a waitress and charge my parents for coffee and sandwiches. 5 cents for a cup of coffee, 10 for a peanut butter sandwich. I was worse than a car salesman hounding them. "Are you sure you don't want a sandwich? They're very yummy!"