Page 1210 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 21071011101160120012081209121012111212122012601310 ... LastLast
Results 36,271 to 36,300 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

M*&^%^effing-eff! If they have me do this again with him and then turn around and find out he should have been fasting I am going to lose it.
    She said, "Don't have him fast for the second test"
    I said, "What? Fast? Was he supposed to have been fasting for the first one?"
    "No, children don't need to"

AND when I just called to make his appt with the new dr and said way, they did not mention a fast. But then again I was speaking to the receptionist. I'm going to call back.

Definitely call back. Maybe even try calling the lab unless the docs office is doing it. I didn't see anything about fasting or not for children UNDER 2. But for older than that, it seems to be divided into the fasting test and non-fasting test.

I will say that i have been checked regularly for diabetes since I was a child...not as young as Kai but probably since about 10-11 and up. I have always fasted. i have a strong family history of diabetes and weight issues since I got chubby around age 7-8.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh man Bridget I was hoping for good news not more confusing news. Thinking about you.

Good luck on the job front Mylah.

And sending you baby thoughts and baby vibes Jennifer
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

I called the lab and she said it differs with each dr so I should do whatever the dr said. Wtf? I just don't want them to be like, oh it's still high now let's try with fasting. But his appt is at 9:30 so after seeing the dr probably won't even get to the lab until after 10. THat's too long for him to wait to eat.

Jennifer - It was a step-parent adoption (so, just my dad adopting me). Not quite the same as a full adoption. I think my parents probably should have applied for a new birth certificate for me, but they never did. I've never really looked into it. I just keep the adoption decree with my birth cert and that suffices for everything.

Bridget - I'm sorry that this visit didn't provide any answers, but am glad there are areas for further investigation. It sucks that you paid out of pocket for a doctor that was completely useless, though.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I called the lab and she said it differs with each dr so I should do whatever the dr said. Wtf? I just don't want them to be like, oh it's still high now let's try with fasting. But his appt is at 9:30 so after seeing the dr probably won't even get to the lab until after 10. THat's too long for him to wait to eat.

What I would do is see the doctor and get from him/her if it should be fasting or not. I mean if they know it was not fasting, 139 is fine. Fasting and that 139 is now diabetes.

If you go tomorrow and the doctor says it needs to be fasting, say well he had breakfast already. And bring him first thing in the morning on a different day.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh that makes sense. I think step-parent ones are different.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes, Jennifer. That is exactly what I am going to do.

Oh this just gets more and more frustrating. At least you're not frustrated alone? I'm very upset for all of you.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

That's seriously frustrating, Bridget. Is there any way you can put it off until you talk to the new pedi and find out what the heck they're all doing? Poor Kai, being treated like a pincushion. And if they suspect diabetes, I really don't understand why they aren't running an A1c in the first place. It is generally considered more accurate/informative.

Oh, I wanted to brag on my kid. We were returning from Whole Foods, I put her in her car seat, went to drop the cart off (a few spots over), then got in the car and started driving. She pitched such a fit I stopped immediately to find out what was wrong, and she said 'Mama, you forgot to put my seat belt on'. I am SO thankful she reminded me, because I had completely forgotten!

What a good girl!

That's great Suja!

Now, I need her to remember that for the rest of her life.

Oh Bridget, I am also upset for you. Poor Kai if he has to go through another poke. And I agree with Jen about the 139 being normal if he ate breakfast or it was an afternoon draw.

Honestly though, I would just have him skip breakfast, maybe take something with you to the doctor to eat immediately following the draw. I have also been given conflicting info on the fast or no fast for blood draws. I now always fast as I feel it will give a more accurate result.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Bridget, how frustrating! I do think it would be much harder to have him fast AND do a blood draw, though. Cranky plus poky is not a good combination. So I would be grateful if she said not to fast.

Good job, Mira!

Oh, and my IUI is done! Let the naked moon-dance incantations begin.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Now, I need her to remember that for the rest of her life.
    LOL Suja. I hope she does remember. That is so great that she reminded you!

Erin

I had Ky's parent teacher conference today. He is doing great as usual except still lazy in his writing. He always writes what I call "first grade sentences" like if the question was - What is the main idea of the text? He will respond with - "It is (blank)." And that will be that, on to the next question. I know he can write well though as I have him write a lot of essays in the summer and some of them are better than college kids I used to tutor in writing lol. I don't know why he continues to be lazy in his writing. He also doesn't write the steps down to math problems because he can do them in his head. I didn't want to start an argument by asking why he needs to write them if he knows how to get the answer, so I didn't. But that was always a problem I had with math as well. I think it is great to have an innate ability to see a problem and be able to solve it like 2 to the -1/3 power equals 1/8. Why would one need to write it out. But I will try to encourage him to write at least one step. He also did great on the MAP test and got the highest Language Arts score in the school, which is great since our school scored in the "high/average" range and Ky scored a "high." So I know he is just being lazy with his first grade sentences lol.

His teacher also told me a funny going on that happened at school. Don't know if you ladies will get it, but I thought it was hilarious. Today Ky was leaving lunch and the teacher on lunch duty, Ms C, was standing at the entrance/exit and Ky went up to her and said "guess what Ms. C, I know another word for climax." She said her heart started beating and she was really afraid to ask him what it was lol. But she did and said "Uh...well what is it Kyro" and she braced herself for the worse and he replied "Zenith." LOL. He has been into the thesaurus lately and she thought he was going to say some sort of sexual word lol. I'm happy he didn't.

Erin

LOL! Zenith!

I'm venting a little. So, Mira's class has 15 or 16 kids. 3 of us are co-room parents, because none of us can cover all the meetings and whatnot by ourselves. The problem is that no one else seems interested in participating. It's a new classroom, lots of new kids, parents don't know each other or the teacher, etc. but it doesn't excuse not participating. We've had sign-up sheets for the upcoming fall festival for days. The parents are supposed to contribute to stuff we need to decorate, material for crafts/games, volunteer for 20 minutes to run the games/crafts, and bring a dish to share (lower priority, since that is school wide, and there will be plenty of stuff). So far, there are two of us that have signed up for everything (I'm helpiing with setup and cleanup), and I know that we have contributed a bunch more stuff without putting it down on the sign-up sheet. We don't want others to get complacent about contributing, thinking that other people will take care of everything. It's just frustrating to see the nearly empty sign up sheet day after day.

I feel bad for the teacher. Because this is her first year, she doesn't have old stuff to re-use. The school is screwing the teachers over, because they used to get 25 bucks for this, but not this year. And the teachers are ultimately responsible for how well their class does, so if she wants something reasonable, she might have to spend money out of pocket. A friend of mine was saying that her son's teacher has spent 100s over time, and that just isn't fair.

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by Suja; 10-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.

It's one of the crappiest parts of being a teacher. I have never had a materials budget and some materials that I need are very, very expensive. I've bought stuff, my mom bought me stuff and gave me some of her old stuff, and I have collected stuff from other staff that was retiring. I've had a parent here and there offer to buy materials for me to use but I have always felt uncomfortable taking them up on it so I never have. It just seems to be expected that teachers will buy materials out of their own pockets. I can't think of any other profession where that is true. Can you imagine a doctor or lawyer buying their own references and materials? And they make a lot more money. So I feel for Mira's teacher. I've been there.

Ky!!! Too funny about his lunch monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Oh, and my IUI is done! Let the naked moon-dance incantations begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I'm venting a little. So, Mira's class has 15 or 16 kids. 3 of us are co-room parents, because none of us can cover all the meetings and whatnot by ourselves. The problem is that no one else seems interested in participating. It's a new classroom, lots of new kids, parents don't know each other or the teacher, etc. but it doesn't excuse not participating. We've had sign-up sheets for the upcoming fall festival for days. The parents are supposed to contribute to stuff we need to decorate, material for crafts/games, volunteer for 20 minutes to run the games/crafts, and bring a dish to share (lower priority, since that is school wide, and there will be plenty of stuff). So far, there are two of us that have signed up for everything (I'm helpiing with setup and cleanup), and I know that we have contributed a bunch more stuff without putting it down on the sign-up sheet. We don't want others to get complacent about contributing, thinking that other people will take care of everything. It's just frustrating to see the nearly empty sign up sheet day after day.

I feel bad for the teacher. Because this is her first year, she doesn't have old stuff to re-use. The school is screwing the teachers over, because they used to get 25 bucks for this, but not this year. And the teachers are ultimately responsible for how well their class does, so if she wants something reasonable, she might have to spend money out of pocket. A friend of mine was saying that her son's teacher has spent 100s over time, and that just isn't fair.
    My aunt taught home base (pre head start) for 17 years and always had to purchase party supplies herself...among other things. She made no where near what 'real' teachers do.

That story about Ky has me cracking up! I know that feeling when you think a child is about to say something mortifying! He is so great! lol

Dude, Suja. I also understand completely your frustration and can't believe what total bs it is that teachers have to pay out of pocket for ANYTHING. It's a pretty backwards society we live in that is for sure.

My extended family (mom's side) is having some crazy facebook political arguments on and blocking each other and just being awful to each other! Christmas party should be interesting this year lol. I told my brother (jokingly) that fb was tearing our family apart. I was saying how fb is such a strange entity that allows for 2 people that probably should never talk about politics together, do it for days and with an audience! I said (changed names) "Sara and Jeff were never MEANT to talk about this stuff!" He made a good point thought when he said that maybe we were never meant to know that our uncle (who was a raging alcholic when we were kids and used the "N" word and just acted like a total arse) is now a bleeding heart who volunteers at the local food shelter, openly supports gay marriage, and eloquently puts everyone who spouts hate in their place. So true how fb can give you the best and worst of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    ... So true how fb can give you the best and worst of people.
    Indeed.

Someone I was debating with told me he'd looked at my FB profile and could tell there wasn't much to me. He could only see my profile pic and cover photo and I wasn't worried about his opinion at all, but it did make me think about people that don't 'know' me and what impression I must give off. I kinda think it's funny. If someone assumes my facebook life is the large and small of me, then I really don't need them in my life anyway. I always assume everyone is multidimensional and we're only getting glimpses on FB.

Suja - is there any way you can send out emails to the other parents expressing what you just said? The whole thing shouldn't fall on the shoulders of the teacher and two or three parents. And yay for Mira reminding you about the car seat. JoJo has done that for me a couple of times, too.

Mandy - removing clothes now for naked moon dancing.

Bridget -I am so sorry that you didn't get a definitive answer. How frustrating.

Erin - Ky is smart!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

It is so true what you said about facebook, Bridget. It does bring out the best and worst in people.

I also find myself wondering if facebook leads to less self reflection for some people. Like, the thoughts we have in our heads when we are contemplating something, we now put online for hundreds of friends to comment on. Can you tell I think about this stuff a lot?

I'm a chronic ruminator. I need less self-reflection.

I said that tongue in cheek, but I think I think more about what I'm saying than I ever did. I know it might not appear that way, but I'm very strong in my political views so I will post them. If I lose friends over it, good. Not that I like losing friends, but I don't want anyone around me that I feel I need to hide a part of myself from, especially such a big part.

I think politically we are all at different levels. 12 or 13 years ago, I didn't give a crap about politics so it would have all been boring mumbo jumbo to me then. Now, it's ever present in my mind and I worry about politics at least as much as I worry about my kids. So...yeah. I can't have someone that would expect me to stifle that kind of thought in my life. Not on a close level. I know without a doubt that IF I ever date again (not likely) it will only be liberals. It'll be something I ask before I even agree to go out with them. That's how important it is to me.

Besides politics and my kids, the rest is just fluff for my own amusement.

I need less self reflection too, Chrissy! Lol.