Page 1209 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 20970911091159119912071208120912101211121912591309 ... LastLast
Results 36,241 to 36,270 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Fingers crossed for you, Bridget!
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I hope that you get some answers!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So of my adoption group, three couples dropped out due to getting pg. One brought home a little boy in the spring. I just heard that another has just gotten a little boy! I am so excited for them....they are the ones we went out of town for last month to visit. So that just leaves one couple and DH and I. I have always believed that we would be the last in our group to be matched and am ok with that. Now our group has two boys....wonder if the two of us left will have girls? I'm kind of hoping for a girl....slight preference most of the time. But OMG it is so exciting to see the process is working.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Pooh, I got the chills for you Jen. Looking so hopeful.

Bridget, let's hope the doctors find answers for Kai.

I'm at the DMV now for my license. I had an appointment, and the line for appts is as long as the non-appts. The other line is moving faster too. If I could bottle up the discontent of everyone
    in this line to one day unleash it all on one of my enemies, I'd have one powerful weapon. KILL. ME. NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Pooh, I got the chills for you Jen. Looking so hopeful.

Ha ha! Autocorrect turned "Oooh" into "Pooh", as in Winnie. Silly autocorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    So of my adoption group, three couples dropped out due to getting pg. One brought home a little boy in the spring. I just heard that another has just gotten a little boy! I am so excited for them....they are the ones we went out of town for last month to visit. So that just leaves one couple and DH and I. I have always believed that we would be the last in our group to be matched and am ok with that. Now our group has two boys....wonder if the two of us left will have girls? I'm kind of hoping for a girl....slight preference most of the time. But OMG it is so exciting to see the process is working.
    Awww Jen. I hope your turn is soon. I'm sure you're going to love whichever you have, boy or girl, with all your heart and soul and then some. I swear I'll cry like a baby the day you bring your little one home.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm at the DMV now for my license. I had an appointment, and the line for appts is as long as the non-appts. The other line is moving faster too. If I could bottle up the discontent of everyone
    in this line to one day unleash it all on one of my enemies, I'd have one powerful weapon. KILL. ME. NOW.
    Why is DMV such a miserable place? Ours doesn't have any appointments. It's all walk-ins and first come, first serve.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I actually have happy DMV stories. Yesterday, I took my parents there to get an ID for mom (who wants to walk around with a passport all the time?), and to replace dad's lost license. The plan was for me to go grocery shopping while they waited. Well, the whole thing, for both of them took 20 minutes. Heck, they hadn't even finished filling out their paperwork by the time they were called. Impressed with service, which just about never happens.

Jen, I hope it happens for you really really soon.

Bridget, I hope you get some answers at the doctor today!

Jennifer, I'm always hopeful that you'll get your baby soon!

Ugh....DMV. Ours changed the requirement for a license and if I lose mine or don't move out of state before mine expires in 2016, I probably won't even be able to get one lol.

They want you to bring a passport, SS card, marriage license, birth certificate, 2 proof of residencies, which can be invoices or a mortgage or lease, and some thing else. I do not have anything in regards to proof of residency and when I called to ask about it, they said it has to be a water bill or electric bill since those are the only ones here that are considered proof of residency as they have to be in the payee's name. DH's name is on both of those, as well as the mortgage as he bought the house, for me, before we got married. I am on the deed but not the mortgage statement. So basically they said, I would have to add myself on a bill, which will cost $80 to $150 in deposits at the water and/or electric company AND since I have a bankruptcy on my record from 2006, I will have additional deposit fees of another $100-$200 dollars. And I refuse to get that done.

These were new rules in regards to the threat of identity theft. I don't see how that is even an issue when they keep your picture on file at the DMV. So if someone comes to get a license they should be able to tell immediately that it isn't you.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Why is DMV such a miserable place? Ours doesn't have any appointments. It's all walk-ins and first come, first serve.
    A couple of years ago there was a show on called "Reaper" wherein the DMV was a front for a portal where the Reapers sent escaped souls back to hell. Sounds about right.

Myles, even funnier is I read it as ooh and didn't notice the autocorrect to Pooh until you said something. LOL

Chrissy, oh yeah I would love a little boy too. But like many, we have always had a slight preference for a girl....though the boy name one is the one we have been set on for years and years and years.

I'm cool too if it takes a while longer. Gives me time to try to save up a bit more PTO and money and get things together. Plus I know DH and I were the last of our group to finished with the home study. We all did classes together but I know others were done with the portfolios and home visits in April or May. We were August.
    Buying little things here or there really helps. I mean I already have the nursery decor in the closet, paint colors matched, a pack n play, up to 6 diapers, 6 cloth wipes, got a wet bag arriving probably today in the mail. A few toys, a puzzle. Just a little thing here or there....especially if I need a bit more to get free shipping at amazon. I have done a ton of window shopping online and have stuff in carts just waiting to be bought. So if I needed to move suddenly, I could.

Don't think that our DMV was bad last time we were there....but when you are in a smaller town, I think that helps.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, I've been pleasantly surprised by DMV too on occasion, and an old family friend works at ours so if she can bend the rules she will...but only in things like ID because she knows us. In fact, she babysat me & my brother. But most the time it's a huge PITA. My biggest beef with them is they will often write in to the local paper whining that we shouldn't ever do any of our DMV business online because (in NY at least) if you do the transaction locally, the local DMV gets a portion of the fee, whereas doing it online 100% of the transaction goes to Albany. Well, I'm sorry. You're closed at 4:30 and not open on weekends. I refuse to take off work to renew my license. If you want my business, have later hours or be open till noon (at least) on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Ugh....DMV. Ours changed the requirement for a license and if I lose mine or don't move out of state before mine expires in 2016, I probably won't even be able to get one lol.

They want you to bring a passport, SS card, marriage license, birth certificate, 2 proof of residencies, which can be invoices or a mortgage or lease, and some thing else. I do not have anything in regards to proof of residency and when I called to ask about it, they said it has to be a water bill or electric bill since those are the only ones here that are considered proof of residency as they have to be in the payee's name. DH's name is on both of those, as well as the mortgage as he bought the house, for me, before we got married. I am on the deed but not the mortgage statement. So basically they said, I would have to add myself on a bill, which will cost $80 to $150 in deposits at the water and/or electric company AND since I have a bankruptcy on my record from 2006, I will have additional deposit fees of another $100-$200 dollars. And I refuse to get that done.

These were new rules in regards to the threat of identity theft. I don't see how that is even an issue when they keep your picture on file at the DMV. So if someone comes to get a license they should be able to tell immediately that it isn't you.

Erin
    omg Erin! Up until we split, 100% of everything was in my name only too. Rich would have been screwed! Talk about overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Don't think that our DMV was bad last time we were there....but when you are in a smaller town, I think that helps.
    In our 'small town' dmv, they refused to accept a title my brother brought in on a car he'd purchased. The problem was that while he was signing his name to it, the ink died in the pen he was using...so he did what anyone else would do and got another pen (same color). They could tell, and our 'friend' wasn't working, so they refused to accept it and demanded the seller apply for a new title. Instead of that, I took my brother to the 'city' DMV in the neighboring county and they processed it without blinking.

Actually, the DMV wasn't all that terrible. I was just being poopy because of the whole lining up even if you had an appointment thing. My appt was 10:20. I got there at 10:14, and waited until 10:45. Once I got to the front, I had to fill out paperwork, return it to the lady who checked you in for appointments, and I was issued a number. I got my # around 10:55. They called my # at around 11:10. I spent 5 mins with the clerk, paid my fee, got fingerprinted, then sent to the photo line. It took another 5 minutes to get my picture taken and I was out of there. The most interesting thing was listening to the conversations that the strangers struck up with one another in line. There was a strong show of solidarity between all those people who were stuck in the queues.

Jennifer, do you ever look at baby stuff on Etsy? There are so many crazy adorable things on there.

Erin, that is ridiculous! There are probably a lot of households that are now in your shoes due to the proof of residency requirement. I don't think the bureaucrats thought the process through for everybody.

Or DMVs around here are hit or miss. On a good day, you're in, you're out, boom, done. But on a bad day, OMG. Standing in line forever, no this line isn't doing that type of transaction, you need that line, waiting, sorry, this line is closing, go back to that other line, yes, the one you just left, they'll do it now since this one is closing.....
    It doesn't help that I, by state law, have to connect the names from my birth cert to my social security card. Which means showing my birth certificate (LName1), my adoption papers (LName2), first marriage cert (LName3), divorce cert, and then second marriage cert (current LName on my SSN). For this most recent renewal, we had moved house since the last time, and I couldn't find most of my paperwork. I put it off for 5 months, got a ticket for driving on an expired license, finally tore the house apart to find the paperwork, and when I took it all in for the renewal...they didn't even look at a single piece of it. Not. One. Piece. I asked (twice!) and they assured me I would need to show it next time but did not offer any satisfactory explanation as to why this time was exempt. I was really mad, even though I knew it was stupid to be mad about. At least now I know where all my paperwork is.

Geez that is overkill Erin. I think in WI you just need your SSI card for proof of citizenship and one proof of residency. They will accept a huge number of things for that, insurance bills that are current, hunting license, pretty much any bill with your name and address on it, work pay stubs, bank statements, college stuff...basically anything less than 90 days old with name and address on it. You only need proof of name and birth if it's the first license. If you have one that has current or expired less than 8 years ago, that works just fine.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Just home. Everything on ultrasound looked normal. But his blood test showed his glucose level to be 139. She said normal for children is 90(?)-126.
    I'm confused that the other dr said his urine glucose was normal and that I asked her twice if we had ruled out diabetes with that test and she said yes.
    This urologist has referred us to a new pedi in our town since I'm not going back to our old one. She wants this pedi to check his blood glucose again since they never rely on one test and then take it from there.
    So now I'm not less worried but more worried.

No I haven't actually spent any time at etsy or really know much about it.

Dana, I didn't know you were adopted! so you have two birth certificates? We were told to make sure to request one for the baby before the adoption was final. Once we finalize in court, they will issue us a birth certificate for the baby listing us as the parents and the first one basically disappears and is impossible to get....which is why they say to request it as later many kids like to have that first one.

My MIL is going through that all with paperwork. She going to be divorcing #3 this spring. Though I think that after #2, she went back to her first married name....which is the one DH and I have. So she was MIL G, than MIL S, than MIL F, back to MIL S and I think that she never officially changed to her current husband's name.
    Right now she is looking for paperwork from husband #2 who is dead now as we are pretty sure that she can collect some SSI from him soon as divorce from #3 happens. Hopefully he was getting enough that she can collect that and work part-time and be semi-retired and put off collecting her own a few years. Once the divorce happens, we would like to get her out of Chicago and either back in Milwaukee with her family or up by us. She will be 62 in the early spring.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Just home. Everything on ultrasound looked normal. But his blood test showed his glucose level to be 139. She said normal for children is 90(?)-126.
    I'm confused that the other dr said his urine glucose was normal and that I asked her twice if we had ruled out diabetes with that test and she said yes.
    This urologist has referred us to a new pedi in our town since I'm not going back to our old one. She wants this pedi to check his blood glucose again since they never rely on one test and then take it from there.
    So now I'm not less worried but more worried.
    Wow, so not the news we were hoping to hear. How soon is his appt with the new Pedi? Or hasn't it been scheduled yet? I know around here sometimes they'll do it at the referrer's office for you, and others send you home with the information to schedule it yourself.

Could there be another culprit besides error in test results or diabetes? It really makes you wonder how much you can trust a lab if the 1st one was so confident that he was fine.

Well the first one was urine and the second was blood. The urologist said that he's have to be extremely high for it to spill over into his urine. So that has me wondering why she was so confident to rule it out? (the first dr, that is.)
    I'm calling the new pedi right now.
    Last edited by Bridget; 10-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Bridget, I'm sorry this has raised more questions instead of solving the questions you already have.

Someone mentioned Montessori methods as an alternative to usual public school methods. Do any of you have any favorite Montessori websites with some activities I can try out at home?

I looked up that book, Raising Your Spirited Child, on amazon. You know they have that feature where you can read part of the book. They have a good bit of it on there and it did seem to hit the mark with a lot of Josh's behaviors. Except, it did keep referring to behaviors from infancy and really it seemed like he wasn't that unusual until he was 2.5 or 3. It does a lot of reassuring that you're not a bad parent, your child is not crazy, etc. I know Josh and I and DH butt heads a lot so I am definitely looking for a different approach.

Well the first one was urine and the second was blood. The urologist said that he's have to be extremely high for it to spill over into his urine. So that has me wondering why she was so confident to rule it out? (the first dr, that is.)
    I'm calling the new pedi right now.
    That's a really good question. I'd be tempted to call her up and give her a piece of my mind and ask her that outright.

I know. And this is the homeopathic dr we paid for out of pocket. Grrrr.

I'm upset too. I can't imagine how you're feeling. I'm so glad you did go to the homeopathic dr though.

For something like glucose, I wouldn't trust a urine test and would want the blood tests.

Question, was Kai fasting for the blood test? As in absolutely no calories for at least 8 hours before he had the draw?
    How soon did she want another blood test done?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

She said children don't fast for them.
    I just called and they got me in tomorrow. Kai is pissed that he has to have another skin prick. Imagine if we have to do insulin every day????

We're hoping for the best Bridget.

She said children don't fast for them.
    I just called and they got me in tomorrow. Kai is pissed that he has to have another skin prick. Imagine if we have to do insulin every day????
    Pretty much everything I'm finding says normal values for FASTING for kids is 70-110. And casual (defined as anytime of day regardless of food intake) as <200mg/dL
    That info is from this book...one of the ones I use the most. http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Diagnos...e+10th+edition

I can copy and send you the pages if you want.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/type...l&METHOD=print

Tests and diagnosis

In June 2009, an international committee of experts from the American Diabetes Association, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes and the International Diabetes Federation recommended that type 1 diabetes testing include the:
    • Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) test. This blood test indicates your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. It works by measuring the percentage of blood sugar attached to hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. The higher your blood sugar levels, the more hemoglobin you'll have with sugar attached. An A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates you have diabetes. A result between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes.
    If the A1C test isn't available, or if you have certain conditions that can make the A1C test inaccurate — such as if you're pregnant or have an uncommon form of hemoglobin (known as a hemoglobin variant) — your doctor may use the following tests to diagnose diabetes:
    • Random blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken at a random time. Blood sugar values are expressed in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or millimoles per liter (mmol/L). Regardless of when you last ate, a random blood sugar level of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher suggests diabetes, especially when coupled with any of the signs and symptoms of diabetes, such as frequent urination and extreme thirst. A level between 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) and 199 mg/dL (11.0 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes, which puts you at greater risk of developing diabetes.
    • Fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes. A level from 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) to 125 mg/dL (6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes.
    If you're diagnosed with diabetes, your doctor will also run blood tests to check for autoantibodies that are common in type 1 diabetes. These tests help your doctor distinguish between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The presence of ketones - byproducts from the breakdown of fat — in your urine also suggests type 1 diabetes, rather than type 2.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Honestly I am shocked that they didn't have him fast and I don't know why they said children don't fast.....when checking for type 1....they are pretty much almost always children...most common age tends to be 4-6 yrs old and another spike in early teen years.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 10-18-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36