Page 1202 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 202 702 1102 1152 119212001201120212031204 1212 1252 1302 ... LastLast
Results 36,031 to 36,060 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Actually I didn't make it that far, so it may have been a lot better than I thought. Maybe I should give it another shot.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I forgot to mention that Bodhi is a "comparer" of himself to other kids too. He gets mad at other kids for beating him in footraces and such. I agree that it's important to teach them to enjoy themselves just by participating.

Lately he's been really vocal about his preference for me, and DH is taking it very personally. He told DH today that Santi & I were his best friends, and DH wasn't. Overall, B has been pretty difficult lately. He seems to get so easily frustrated these days. He gets upset if he draws a stripe that turns out too fat. If we tell him it's time to eat lunch while he's mid-play, he throws a tantrum. If there's the tiniest bit of tomato on his plate, tantrum. If I'm driving and don't look at him when he tells me to, he tells me off. He interrupts us all the time, and then gets super angry if we interrupt him. If he wants us to repeat "Hoo-wah" after him, and we say "Hoooooooo-wah", he'll throw a crying fit. I never believed he was going to become this intense and this irrational. He says some pretty awesomely irrational and imaginative things too, but I do hope his crazy little inner totalitarian dictator goes away for good very soon.
    How old is Bodhi right now? Because this is EXACTLY how Macie has been acting lately and it's driving me BONKERS. She was 3 in May.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Ryan looks uncannily like Eddie Munster.
    My former boss said the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Katy, that is a great idea about biographies. I hope the ones you picked up were well written. I am making Ky read a lot of biographies. He has read one about George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin - who is one of my favorite founding fathers because he was very funny IMO. I read his autobiography as a part of American Literature and he was just cracking me up. Like with Neil de Grasse Tyson's autobiography I told you ladies about, I feel like Ben is my friend after that book. He spoke about deciding to be vegetarian in one section and being vegetarian until he went on a voyage to Europe and then decided he would be a pescatarian and while in Europe decided that it was unhealthy to be a vegetarian lol. The way he described it was so witty. I just loved him. He also spoke about the regret of not vaccinating one of his sons for smallpox who subsequently died of the disease. I never knew until reading that and another texts in World Literature that was about a British lady (her diary) living in Istanbul and experiencing life there as a citizen by being covered in the hijab, that vaccination was such an old thing in the history of the world. Her voyages took place I believe around the same time as Ben was alive and she also got innoculated against small pox back then.

I want to find some books about John Adams, who is also one of my favorite founding fathers because of letters I read that he and his wife wrote to each other before the signing of the Declaration of Independence. She was trying to implore to him to include women in the Declaration and constitution, as he and Thomas Jefferson basically wrote the constitution and their ongoing discussion about it and her trying to get other members of the congress to sway their opinion on both slavery and women back in the 1700s.

Ky has also read biographies of Einstein and George Washington Carver for scientific reasons as well as Neil de Grasse Tyson. He also read Booker T Washington's autobiography and a biography of Frederick Douglas and one about Cesar Chavez. He told me he wants one about Lincoln and I am thinking of getting him that one that has great reviews, I think just titled "Lincoln" but it is REALLY long and I think he would be frightened by it. I may buy it for myself though and I was super excited to see the new movie about Lincoln to counter attack that Lincoln vampire killer movie, which I thought was disrespectful.

Watched the VP debates and I must say that Biden trampled over Ryan tonight IMO. Almost everything Ryan said, Biden put a beat down on him lol. Basically Romney/Ryan will have an anti-abortion administration if elected and seek to make abortion illegal, they are not committed to withdrawing from Afghanistan by 2014, they do not know what loopholes they plan to close to support their 20% tax cut for all Americans including people making in excess of $1 million dollars. Ryan didn't like the stimulus but sent a letter to the committee Biden was on who doled out the money and asked the committee for money for job creation, even though Ryan said the stimulus didn't create jobs lol. Biden laughed a lot during the whole thing. I laughed too because some of the stuff was pretty ridiculous. I especially thought it funny that Ryan felt that Romney would be able to "reach across the aisle" to Dems because he'd done it in MA and felt that it was Obama's fault this hasn't been done over the course of the last almost 4 years. Biden reminded him that he was one of the Dems who worked with Reagan and that Dems are willing to work with others whereas Republicans are not, hence their 7% approval rating lol. It was pretty funny. I also loved the moderator. She really kept them in line and tried to make them answer the questions she was asking.

Erin
    I did a book report on John Madison's wife in 5th grade. I really don't remember much of it though. I tried to read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography recently (it's a free one on the Kindle) but it was too dry for me. I lost interest before I was 1/2 way through.

Katy, I agree religion shouldn't be in politics at all, but they do have to play up to the religious crowd. There's no way an atheist would be elected president/vice president. Not the way our society is right now.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ben's autobiography is kind of slow going. I was forced to read it for American Lit and after I got into it, it got pretty interesting. I enjoy autobiographies because I imagine them telling me a story. I kind of like biographies but the writer has to be really good IMO to do a decent biography and most I have read were not all that great.

I want Ky to read Frederick Douglass' autobiography/narrative, but he uses heavy diction and his words, I think would be more advanced than Ky would like and he'd skip over them, which you cannot do with that book and know what's going on. He did the same with the Neil de Grasse Tyson book and now I'm going to make him read it out loud to me, which he hates doing and I admit I don't like doing either but I want him to see it's not really all that hard, that book is nothing like Frederick Douglass and is fairly easy to read other than the scientific terms, which Neil defines in the text using very easy language.

And I am sure the Lincoln movie and book may be great. I just thought it disrespectful to the memory of Lincoln. I have read a few biographical texts about him and he just seemed like such a decent individual and I think it disrespectful to make him a vampire hunter considering all he went through both in his personal life with losing two of his children and dealing with his nutty wife and politically and the war and getting assassinated, just all that. I feel he has been through the wringer all ready, why make him fight vampires lol.

My all time favorite biography currently is about Zora Neal Hurston. I have it at home and don't remember the author's name. She wrote "My Eyes Were Watching God," which is one of my favorite books. I really got into that book and Zora seemed like a friend too even though she didn't write that particular text. I also have her autobiography but she was known to lie to cover up her age and you can tell she didn't really want to write it, her publisher and agent wanted her to write one at the height of her career and the biographer had more info in the biography than what was in the autobiography. My Biography/Autobiography professor also loved that book in particular and Zora, she named her daughter Zora after the author and she admitted that every year when she taught that class she re-read the book and always cried at the end when Zora died penniless, on welfare, in a nursing home, and buried without a headstone or any recognition for the trailblazer she was. I didn't cry about it since I knew how Zora died, but it did make me feel sad for her legacy, how she was treated in her older years and her subsequent death. She was only in her 60s when she died, but really she lived a fulfilled life IMO.

Erin

Chrissy - I, too, enjoy historical fiction and have learned a lot from writers who have written well-researched historical novels. (e.g. Diana Gabaldon!)

Erin - The history of smallpox vaccination is pretty fascinating. Another topic I was lead to read up on as a result of a historical novel.

I did not watch the debate - I actually turned off the TV when it came on. I told DH "I have no interest in listening to these two monkeys 'ook' at each other".
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    How old is Bodhi right now? Because this is EXACTLY how Macie has been acting lately and it's driving me BONKERS. She was 3 in May.
    He'll be 4 in January. A late bloomer, I guess? ;)

Myles, Mira is and has been the way you describe Bodhi. Unfortunately for us, it's not a phase, it's just the way she is. Yesterday, she pitched an absolute fit in the car, crying and screaming because my mom sat next to her. In the meantime, mom is her best bud and they quite literally play all day long (they're outside running around right now), and she pitches a fit if mom cannot give her a bath. Go figure. Oh, and if you want to watch The Rumble, I can send you my login; I think they allow one download and 3 viewings or something like that.

I'll admit to being bored by historical fiction, and biographies in general. The only time I enjoyed a history class was when it was taught by an absolute hottie in college. Not only was he handsome, he was also passionate, and he taught on the basis of significant events instead of dates and such. I don't think any of the girls ever missed a single class. It's kind of stupid, but it broke my heart when I found out that he was a smoker. The one book that we read during the class that really stayed with me is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Incidents-Life...dp/1613822928/ - rare in being written by a woman, and a slave at that.
    Last edited by Suja; 10-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.

I love Neil de Grasse Tyson....he's on Bill Maher usually at least once a season if not more. I just love him....he's a big teddy bear with a great voice and is so brillant. I should look for his autobiography.

Normally I'm not big on anything non-fiction but do like autobiographies/biographies once in a while. I'm eh on history....though at one point I considered a history major in college. LOL My DH loves history and is really annoyed with the programming on the history channel. He didn't major in it in college but ended up taking it as electives so much that he almost had a major in it.

I used to have a decent grasp on it up until about the 1960's....that is usually when we ran out of time in class at the end of the year. But very little history of the rest of the world....unless it impacted the US.
    Except the ancient times....being a philosophy major, we talked about ancient Greece a lot. Not sure how much I really remember now though.

I have to say that I did take one history class in college and instead of a text book, we read actual texts from the time we were studying. I think it was called the historical method of using primary sources or something like that. Was the first time I read Plato. Also I remember The Two Lives of Charlemagne, The Prince by Machiavelli....and I think a couple others from the early part of Western Civ. Pretty sure all the books are still on my book shelves.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOVED the Harriet Jacobs narrative Suja! It is my 2nd favorite slave narrative after Frederick Douglass, who I fell in love with after reading his autobiography and I have always compared the men in my life to him. None of them can compare lol. I have even told DH that if Frederick Douglass was alive and willing to marry me, I'd divorce DH lol! He is just the epitome in my mind of a true perservering spirit. I read his narrative when I was 9 or 10 and it really enforced my outlook on life and made me less likely to complain about anything because he was a freaking slave boy who taught himself to read and escaped slavery and became a champion of abolition and women's rights and an ambassador. He is just one of the most magnificient people in the history of our country (like I said, I am in love with him lol) IMO.

Neil was on the Big Bang Theory once and I missed that episode. Now that I think about it I will make sure to look it up online this weekend and watch it. He is very brilliant. He made me want to get into science again through reading his book. I also thought he was both confident, yet humble in a way. He described how he got a scholarship via the Gifted and Talented (or Talented and Gifted) portion of the US dept of Education when he was a kid and he found it insulting that they would consider him "gifted and talented" as if he sprung from the womb knowing everything he knew. He said they should change that department to "kids who study and work hard to achieve excellence in academics" or something like that. As a former TAG-er, I agree. I think anyone can be gifted and talented in one area or another if they have an intense interest in the subject matter and are willing to research and study all they can to know a subject or subjects in depth. True "giftedness" like those kids who remember being born (reminds me of that movie Little Man Tate who was a math genius when he was like 8 years old) are truly rare occurrences IMO.

I also like that Neil is not afraid to speak about his atheism and the contradictory nature of science and religion. He saved that for the last chapter and DH read the book and now doesn't want Ky to read it again because of that chapter.

Erin

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I like historical fiction. Philippa Gregory is one of the authors I have really enjoyed in the past, although I haven't read many of her newer books since I got my Kindle and stopped paying for books.

One of my patients has been recommending Turtledove's alternative history books to me for a while, and I keep forgetting about them.

Erin, have you read Wallace Terry's 'Bloods'? I am exceedingly familiar with the Vietnam War, and that book put a completely different perspective on everything I thought I knew.

I love Neil as well. He makes science accessible, and doesn't take himself seriously while being an exceedingly smart and well informed man.

I thought this was a perfect example of why ND-GT is so great: http://www.geekosystem.com/which-enterprise-is-best/

He actually thought it through and had compelling reasons for his opinion.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 10-12-2012 at 10:04 AM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Myles, I don't want to destroy your hope but Josh has been like that since the day he turned 3. He'll be 6 next month. I think I said before, that I stopped hoping it would end and now I just try to deal with it. It has to be his way all. the. time. It doesn't matter if we do things the same way every day. He'll still get upset if it's not how he wants it. I keep telling myself he has a great personality for a lawyer or some kind of CEO when he grows up. Whatever he decided he likes, he'll have a drive to work for it and be really good at it. If he makes it past his teenage years.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Erin, have you read Wallace Terry's 'Bloods'? I am exceedingly familiar with the Vietnam War, and that book put a completely different perspective on everything I thought I knew.

I love Neil as well. He makes science accessible, and doesn't take himself seriously while being an exceedingly smart and well informed man.
    I have read Bloods. My DH has had it since he was a teenager so it is in our library. I only read it last year though and I agree it was eye opening. I looked up everyone in that book to see what they were doing today after reading it!

That book is the reason why DH is very adamant against joining the military and says if there is a war and Ky is drafted, we would have to sneak him out of the country lol. He feels the military is just a way for the government to use young people or people who feel they have no other opportunities as a lot of military volunteers come from poorer backgrounds, to do their bidding around the world to make money. He also doesn't like that vets are not always treated the way they need to be cared for once they return home. Every time he watches a story of a soldier killed he gets mad.

It doesn't help that his dad was a Vietnam Vet. He didn't have a relationship with his dad until probably 5-6 years ago. His dad died this past May. He had PTSD and was a drug addict, which contributed to his death, he had what people I know, those of us who grew up amidst a lot of crack addicts during the epedemic in the 80s/early 90s, call a "crack attack." A heart attack based on drug use. FIL was one of the only people I know that still used crack in this day and age, it is rare amongst people I know because we saw the devastating effects of it. I remember reading some study that said that black kids who grew up in the 80s/90s are least likely to do hardcore drugs due to those experiences and I believe it. DH thinks Vietnam ruined his dad, which was backed up by my grandmother IL, who said he was totally different after he came home and it was like her son went away and died when he was 19 and his body came back but not his spirit.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Erin, I completely understand where your DH is coming from, and agree with him on what he thinks about the military taking advantage of kids with fewer opportunities. I think that every time I see the ages of our dead soldiers; by far, they are very, very, very young.

My father and his family say the same thing about him, that he didn't return from Vietnam the same person. Thankfully, he didn't end up with any substance abuse, but he definitely carries many demons from it. I totally agree that the military uses young people that think that's their only 'out' from their community. I'm sure I told you the kids in Candor (a very small rural school) didn't even know that they were guaranteed eligibility for student loans-they thought their parents had to have $ to get them, and none of them had ever heard of pell or tap grants. The military is raved about bigtime and when a student enlists, the school and community make a big deal about it. The kid is like a celebrity.

Don't kids in trouble sometimes get the option of jail or military?

I don't think they do the jail or military thing anymore.

My dad is also a vet and he got that option after he got in some trouble when he was younger. He did a stint in the Army due to it and he also was not a high school grad and I think you have to be a grad or have a GED now to.

My little cousin just joined up due to no job opportunity for him in Detroit. His mom thinks he'd be safer though in Afghanistan than Detroit lol. He scored really high on some sort of math test, strangely enough because he is a pretty boy. He's 21. And never got all that great of grades in school but he always tests well and so he will have some secret clearance or something once he graduates boot camp and has to go get additional training at the Pentagon and she doesn't know if he will be shipped off somewhere else after that.

Erin

Bridget, I know that used to happen all the time, particularly during Vietnam. I would be surprised if it happens often now, as the military has pretty strict background requirements and at this point they turn plenty of people away who don't meet their criteria either through medical issues or legal issues.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Ah, my bad. I had a feeling I shouldn't be repeating that info. Dbf told me that little tidbit when we lived in Hawaii.

My brother is reading my kids their bedtime story. They got him to read 10 chapters from their book!

I'm reading Mary Poppins to Josh and I'm surprised at what a brat Mary is in this book. It's totally different from the movie. I really dislike reading it because she denies all these awesome adventures happen and she just comes across as totally rude. Wahh!

I haven't got to have any computer time the past few days, so I wanted to reply to the political stuff while I can!

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    One nice thing about British politics is their campaign period is weeks! Like it's done in 7 weeks or something. I am assuming it's still the same way.
    Yep, still the same way. It's not as annoying as the American campaigns, but the politicians are the same way, though; you know, pretty much slimey liars who do whatever to get voted in. The last election, the Labour party got voted out but the other 2 parties did not have a majority vote, so they teamed together to form what they call a coaltion government. One of those parties won the student voters over by saying that they would not enforce the tuition fees increase (going to university used to be free here paid by the government and it now costs everyone 9k a year to go!) So, once those parties got in office, they turned around and did enforce the tuition increase. Bast-d's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh, and I also didn't know England didn't have a constitution either. Interesting. The way Americans carry on about ours, you'd think it wouldn't be possible to have a nation without one.
    It certainly is an eye-opener seeing the US through another continent's eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    We did not learn about English history too much in high school. Due to me being an English major in college and having to take 1 lower and 2 upper level British Literature classes, we had to learn quite a bit about English history as the history of the period in the Norton anthologies that we used supplied us with a pretty good synopsis of the history of the British Empire from the times of Old English through the modern period and post-colonialism.

So I know a bit about the magna carta, a document our constitution is loosely based upon and the 2 civil wars in England as well as the Great Revolution, which relegated the British monarchy to a more symbolic role but they do still have a place in the role of governing I believe, but nothing like prior to the wars. But I don't know all that much about it. We mostly loosely discussed these goings on in relation to literary texts, and literature from the Romantic and Victorian periods, especially in regards to Darwin's Origins of Species and the evolution debate that is still going on today. Lots of Victorian literature focuses on the dilemna faced by lay persons who were trying to reconcile biblical history with Darwin's scientific theory. And Romanticism really isn't literally about "romance" as one thinks about it in relationships, but more about the love of enjoying life and especially the freedom and innocence of childhood. I liked both those periods and especially colonial and post-colonial studies moreso than the war based stuff, which took place I believe in the late 17th century so before our country gained independence Parliament was basically running the empire back then too.

I'm sure Ash knows more than me though and it has been a long time since I read those passages even though I still have the books (they were REALLY expensive so I will never get rid of them) and I'm sure something I said wasn't right about it!

Erin
    I am still learning a whole lot about UK history, so I can't say a whole lot about how and when stuff changed, but I can kind of explain how it works nowadays. It's quite different to how the whole system works over there. Here, you don't vote for a person, but a party, so like when Tony Blair and the Labour party were voted in, he served something like 8 years as the party leader and then retired. When he retired, his deputy prime minister Gordon Brown automatically became PM by default. And he stayed PM until he called for a vote. I still don't quite get the whole calling for a vote, but a party that is in power is in charge of when the public can vote for the PM. He waited until the very last minute to call for a vote because he was not a popular man and of course the conservatives and David Cameron won.

And oh yes, if you ever watch the Prime Minister's question time, it is hilarious! They shout and jeer him and snicker and all sorts. It's great if you're interested in politics!

So they don't have term limits? Mind boggling system, but for the most part I like what I hear politically about England. They most be doing something more 'right' (as in correct) than the US. I wish it only cost us $9,000 to go to university!

Think about that...people have healthcare from birth to grave, and they only recently had to start contributing to their university education out of pocket...AND they still have a middle class and wealthy people?! To hear people in the US talk about it, you'd think that a national healthcare would totally bankrupt us.

Don't they (those against national healthcare) ever wonder how other countries do it and still have successful businesses? Do they understand how much more $ businesses would have if they weren't on the hook for providing health insurance to their employees? I often wonder how they can go through life and not at least wonder about these things. If others can do it, why can't we? We're supposed to be 'the best' I think it's past time to actually start doing it.

It's my understanding that since it is the party that is elected, as long as it manages to stay in power(Tony Blair led Labour to 3 wins in general elections), whoever is the head of the party stays as Prime Minister. So yeah, no term limits. It's similar to what we have in India.

Do you know how often they hold an election for the parties?

-----

For all Rich is ready to go out for drinks with my friend, he's having a flipping fit because I went out with my brother and his buddies. I only went out because, well, I like to dance and haven't been in months. Tim is safe and the one guy he was going with is a real 'good guy' and I've liked him as a person for years. So has Rich. Absolutely nothing inappropriate happened but Rich is threatening to kick the guys ass. I'm beyond frustrated. Is this what the rest of my life is going to be like?

At least every 5 years. Could be sooner. I think some legislation was introduced to make it exactly 5 years, but I can't remember what happened to it.

Chrissy, how did he even know? It isn't any of his business anyway, but maybe you need to talk to him about boundaries.

This town is so small, there's no way I can do anything without Rich finding out eventually. He's still really close with my brother and I didn't think it would be a big deal for me to go out with Tim. We do 3-4 times a year and have for 5-6 years now. Rich never had a problem with it before. I did post on FB and we're all friends there. I could have hidden the posts from Rich, but he's been aware of when I've done that before. Like I said, I didn't think it was a big deal and thought hiding it would make it look suspicious when he later found out. Nothing was going on except some friends having a few drinks and dancing. Rich knows I do that. I love to dance. He's just being insecure but yeah, we're gonna talk. I don't want to take him off FB because we do share pics/stories of the kids all the time, but he's not going to be threatening people that hang out with me.

I blogged! If you're really, really bored you can find it here http://notdatingandhappy.blogspot.com/ I'm not sure how long I'm gonna leave it public. I have lots of reservations about this, but thought I'd do it just to see.

The blog is all from my one night out. I had to split it up into 7 posts because there was a lot. Or I'm very, VERY long winded. Which is quite likely. I'm still surprised at the number of creepers I ran into in 1 night though. It could be just that I'm getting old and losing patience, but it seemed worse last night than I remember it being ever before.

Men are a trip. They really, really are. I can't say I'm surprised by Rich's double standard. I know that dbf would be exactly the same if we were in that situation.

We are officially homeschooling effective tomorrow!
    I don't know if all of you saw my post about the principal driving the kids in her car with no carseats so they could go back to the school and use the bathroom. Anyway, my pulling them is going to appear to be a reaction to that alone but it's really just a long time coming and that made me realize that I need to do it now. I feel like certain rules are absolutes in our house. You never ride in a car without a proper carseat. You never get into a car with ANYONE but daddy or me (at this point no one else drives them). I think anytime an adult has a child break the rules it muddles that line between right and wrong. I'm not ready for that to be muddled. So that day it was her. What if next week it's some kid's aunt that's been on field trips before and says, "It's ok, get in the car". That **** gives me the shivers. Call me overprotective but I can't help what I feel.
    Today we signed our contracts (thanks for that suggestion Jennifer! It was a cool experience) that we will review weekly. Dbf signed it too We also made a daily schedule where Savana and Kai gave me a lot of ideas of things their teachers at school did that they liked (math tubs?? I've got to try and figure out what that is, lol) and we made chore lists and made a plan for behavior incentives.
    The only slightly negative part is that the mother of the other children I drive to and from seems highly annoyed by my decision. I told her I'd keep driving them until she found someone else. I do feel bad about that part but the money she is paying me doesn't make it practical at all for me to make the 15 mile trip twice a day if my kids aren't going there.
    Did I mention YAY!

I'm glad, Bridget. I saw that post about the principal driving them around without carseats and it just made my heart sink. I don't care about extenuating circumstances: the only time a child should be in a car without the proper restraints is in an emergency. Having to go to potty is not an emergency. I know that with as much thought and effort as you put in to anything having to do with your kids, homeschooling will be a success for your family. Congratulations!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov