Page 1185 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 185 685 1085 1135 117511831184118511861187 1195 1235 1285 ... LastLast
Results 35,521 to 35,550 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

The photos on that link. Wow. Just, wow. In one year. It's almost unbelieveable.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

That's incredible. She doesn't even look like the same person!

The last time my parents saw me, I was a lot heavier than I am now. Today, I overheard my extremely PC dad telling my aunt 'You know, she's not at all fat anymore. In fact, she's quite slim'. The funny thing is that no one told me anything about my weight when I was in fact, "fat" (I was getting to be overweight for my height).

No I haven't been up there. On my list of things to do though. I wouldn't camp. But we really would like to head up to Duluth and that area and might do that in the spring (they already have had some snow up there!) now that I can found I could leave the dogs once.
    The lakes are pretty...I think I just take them for advantage like most people do when you live somwhere....haven't seen Superior but I grew up within walking distance of Lake Michigan.

I could relate to that and have similar photos except mine aren't on digital but in my album. There is something weird about looking in the mirror and not recognizing who you see. I kind of think that I stopped the loss subconsciously when I got about a size 18 (had a few tops in 14/16). I know that is big to most people but felt almost too thin to me and I felt like if I got thinner, I would look sickly and have issues with skin...which I didn't at the thinnest I got. I still feel pretty stupid for allowing as much regain to happen as I did.....I knew better than that and should have been able to prevent it.

But on the good side, since it was below freezing at nights now, I was back in my jeans all weekend and last spring they were tight and not something I would want to wear more than out shopping or for a short time. I was in them all day for three days and they were fine....fitted but not too tight and they were comfortable enough (I mean they are jeans and never as comfortable as jammies!). Would really like to see about 40 more lbs gone.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So...not to change the subject but my great friend at work is fighting with her son's school. The English teacher gave an assignment that the students had to do a book report on any book they wanted, fiction or non. When her son wanted to do it on a book in the Bible he was flat out told he could not. It is a public school.

I adore Faye and she is a believer. I think it's an interesting point of view and I tend to agree with her. If the kids are told they can write on ANY book, then that should indeed include ANY book. Period.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh that is a lot for one year of loss. I mean I did the same but had surgery. It can be dangerous to lose that much that quickly. I know for at least six months I had to take medicine to hopefully prevent gall bladder issues....such a problem for fast weight loss that if they do the surgery totally open they take it out right away. I had laprascopic surgery (they checked the gall bladder as part of pre-op) so they left mine alone and tried the medication. Worked for me.

I think that there is also concern about the bones when weight is lost very quickly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I agree with you...they said he could so I don't see why not. What they should have said was that books needed approval from the teacher first. Or when we were younger, I was also told any book from the school library.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That weight loss link is awesome! It reminds me of our old secular friend Jenny. I still follow her on FB because I admire her determination to lose all that weight! I'm pretty proud of myself that I lost 25 pounds in 6 months. LOL. And that was simply by cutting the junk food, counting calories and going to the gym 4 times a week.

Chrissy, that's a tough one about the Bible and the book report. I can remember in my high school English class, we read the story of creation because it was an excerpt in our text books, but it was taught as any other myth is taught. I can't see why they'd say no to him giving a report on it....but why would he want to do a report on the Bible? It's such a long story!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    So...not to change the subject but my great friend at work is fighting with her son's school. The English teacher gave an assignment that the students had to do a book report on any book they wanted, fiction or non. When her son wanted to do it on a book in the Bible he was flat out told he could not. It is a public school.
    The teacher did not think this through. Why is the kid being punished for that? I will confess that I have no idea how one will do a book report on even a portion of The Bible, especially at the younger ages, without someone being all PO'd about it.

What age group is the kid, Chrissy? I just sincerely doubt that he could read the entire bible, with any level of comprehension, in the amount of time provided for the book report. It's very long and not a smooth read.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Chrissy, that's a tough one about the Bible and the book report. I can remember in my high school English class, we read the story of creation because it was an excerpt in our text books, but it was taught as any other myth is taught. I can't see why they'd say no to him giving a report on it....but why would he want to do a report on the Bible? It's such a long story!
    It's to be a book report on one book in the Bible. I'm not sure which one, I didn't ask. Faye nailed the teacher good because she stammered when she asked her if he'd chosen to do a report on Darwin's theory if he'd have been told no. She pushed further and asked if the answer would have been no if he'd chosen the Koran. It's just another po-dunk rural school created controversy by trying to avoid controversy. Even as a secular mom, I say what's fair for one is fair for another. I don't know what the teacher said specifically, but I heard Faye asking her, "Oh, do you have that policy in writing? Can you forward it to me?" Apparently the answer was no because Faye told her she appreciated her time but that she'd be taking this up with someone else. She was very polite (because she's a great person) but adamant.

If any 17-year-old can write a report on one book in the Bible, I'm thinking this kid could do it. He's a great kid. Super great. Very polite, well mannered, hasn't really been in too much trouble (drank 4 beers when he was 14, and then smoked oregano wrapped in printer paper thinking he'd bought marijuana ) He volunteers for the fire department and always puts gas in his mom's car whenever he drives it anywhere. He'd put thought serious into it, I have no doubt.

Yes, that was my first thought. What are the teacher's reasons for not wanting him to use that book? Could it be that it's just not a practical book to choose for a book report? I mean how do you sum that up?
    Lol...I shouldn't ask that here!

Ok we posted at the same time again.

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    What age group is the kid, Chrissy? I just sincerely doubt that he could read the entire bible, with any level of comprehension, in the amount of time provided for the book report. It's very long and not a smooth read.
    Like I said, it's not to be on the whole Bible. And he's a senior. They're very religious but not in the annoying way. They really don't judge anyone (they actually believe that's God's job). Faye knows I'm Atheist and she's just as sweet to me as if we went to church every Sunday together. She doesn't care what I believe. Or what anyone believes. But they believe strongly and I'm sure he already has a pretty good handle on the Bible already. Especially if he's chosen 1 of the books to do a report on.

Yowzers about the rattler L!!! That would have freaked me out and I LOVE snakes. One of my cousins had two rattlers, a boa constrictor, and a python when I was growing up and I thought they were fascinating. I also loved catching garter snakes as a kid and have caught them even as an adult to show Ky. I don't anymore because DH always wants to keep them.

He found another lizard and I convinced him to let it go. If you don't remember, he found one when I went on my cruise in April and put it ouside in the sun because he thought it needed to bask (when I told him it probably didn't and he should look it up to be sure) and it died.

There are a lot of little lizards around our house and he was cleaning out the back of his pickup and found what looked like an egg back there, picked up the egg and placed it in the corner of the truck and the little lizard popped out and started running around, the kids were excited to see that, especially Elle. Luckily DH let it go after two days because it wouldn't eat the bugs he was giving it. I'm glad it was smart enough to hurry up and escape lol.

And I think that is weird about them not letting the kid do the report about the Bible too. And honestly, I do think that one can do a report about specific passages/books of the bible, like Job or Ezra, or certain parts of Genesis and Exodus. It can be done, but I also would wonder about the age of the child and if he even understood the metaphorical aspects of those stories or if he was looking at this report as an opportunity to evangelize his teacher and/or classmates. If I were his teacher, I would have let him do the report. I don't see how it would be an issue actually.

ETA: Posted around the same time as you Chrissy and saw he is a senior, they should let him do the report.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 09-24-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Yup, they should.

I was thinking about Job too (only book from it I know). I mean I had to read that and write about that as part of a class freshman take in college.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

No doubt, the teacher screwed up. IMO, she should've let him do what he wanted, and evaluated the work on its merits. If it went into the territory of proselytizing, then the grades should reflect that.

I hadn't seen your additional comments before I posted, Chrissy. Yes, if he's a HS senior and it's just one book of the bible, I don't see any good reason to prohibit him. If they wanted to avoid controversy, they should have given the kids a book list.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    No doubt, the teacher screwed up. IMO, she should've let him do what he wanted, and evaluated the work on its merits. If it went into the territory of proselytizing, then the grades should reflect that.
    I agree. And I don't think this kid would do that. It's just not like him at all. I think Faye has a point...even if you don't believe it as truth, it's still a book of literature.

I think it's really silly not to let him do a report on a book from the Bible. If I had to guess what was going thru the teachers' head, the one thing that'd make quasi-sense to me would be if she's looking for a report that focuses on literary elements of a chosen story. Even then, though, books of the Bible can translate into pretty good literature. I mean, if you can do a book report on Beowulf, you can do one on just about any book of the Bible, except maybe ones like Proverbs or Psalms, which are more like long lists than stories. I guess if the report required some discussion on protagonist, antagonist, conflict, climax, denouement, etc, you'd be hard-pressed to find those elements in the more list-like books of the bible.

Back to my meetings. I'm on my 4th cup of tea already. It's gonna be a long day.

I think the fear of it being associated with Christianity made her lose her senses. This school is absolutely bizarre. The kids were greeted with the standard set of rules, but they were all written as "Thou shalt not...." Each and every one of them. If my kids went there, I'd have had a stroke. But then they stopped saying the pledge of allegiance because it has God in it. They're hillbillies and contradict themselves over and over again.

Yeah, they sound kinda confused about the religion clauses of the first amendment.

I even think you can do a report about Proverbs or Psalms. Both are poetic in nature and many have the same themes and one could pick and chose a group of them. We wrote about Psalms especially in college. It was a poetry class and we wrote about them and the sonnets of Shakespeare, Petrarchan sonnets, and even the book Song of Solomon in the bible due to it being a love poem.

Like I said, don't even see why they would have an issue with that at all. I had to read all kinds of religious texts in a World Religions course in high school when I was a junior. I actually think they should have more courses like that for high school students but I know a lot of parents would get upset at the thought of their kid learning about a different religion. My youngest brother went to Catholic school (as does my oldest nephew right now) and my mom almost didn't send him there because she was worried he would become Catholic since at that time, she didn't consider Catholics to be Christians because they were "idolators" in her eyes lol. Not sure if she still believes that, but we do have some interesting conversations and she won't flat out insult people based on their religion or anything, except for people who come to her house and try to convert her - like JWs and Mormons and she has proselytized them so much that she thinks they have blacklisted her as she now tries to flag them down and they ignore her. She is really funny talking about trying to convert the religious converters who come to her house.

Erin

Culture and most english literature are heavily infused with biblical references. I actually believe that the bible NEEDS to be a part of english lit classes, because quite frankly, you're going to miss out on a lot of allegory and subtext and symbolism if you don't have some basic bible knowledge. It's everywhere. It's completely ignorant of a literature instructor to deny or ignore the importance of the bible in a literary sense.

I met a girl on the cruise 2 years ago who had lost about that much. It's amazing to think about.

It also makes me feel like a big lump because I'm having a hard time losing 20 lbs. Again.

awww Kate....I HAVE lost that much. I think it was about 167 lbs that I lost. I still have a hard time losing 20 lbs. It's hard no matter what....even surgery was hard and not the easy way because the restrictions were so incredible during the losing phase.....and it is really pretty depressing to eat nothing but cottage cheese for a month (it was 3 months before I was allowed anything NOT protein).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Dang Jennifer! It's incredible that you did it just once.

That is amazing, Jennifer. I beat myself up about not losing an extra 5 lbs. of belly flab so I can't imagine the strength that would take.

I remember taking a humanities class in college and writing a lengthy compare/contrast of the Epic of Gilgamesh and the story of Noah's flood in the Bible. I did another assignment that was a dialogue between St. Augustine and St. Patrick that is probably one of the best things I've ever written. I wonder where that is? I'd love to read it again. Both of those assignments were for public schools, although at the college level, not high school. But I definitely think a smart hs senior can do a good job of discussing one book of the Bible, although some books are more complex and obscure than others.

I also agree that it is an important foundation for understanding literature. Not necessesarily to read cover to cover, but to be familiar with the themes. I remember when I was a music major we sang a LOT of religious music. Not just Christmas music (and we did sing Hannukah songs, too) but all through the year. Some students complained about it, and the faculty basically said, tough. The western music tradition revolved heavily around religious music until the past century or so, and to ignore that part of the tradition would be ridiculous. No one cared what we believed and I'm sure some of the faculty were atheist/agnostic. It's beautiful music, anyway.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Culture and most english literature are heavily infused with biblical references. I actually believe that the bible NEEDS to be a part of english lit classes, because quite frankly, you're going to miss out on a lot of allegory and subtext and symbolism if you don't have some basic bible knowledge. It's everywhere. It's completely ignorant of a literature instructor to deny or ignore the importance of the bible in a literary sense.

I agree with that. I actually do not have that foundation and had to google things in college and really felt at a disadvantage at times. Especially being a philosophy major in a Catholic women's college. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

39886_414978623109_4971059_n.jpg262195_10150211201338110_5592378_n.jpg

My wedding picture....I was about around my heaviest...might have gotten 10 higher than there but close enough. And actually the dress was rather slimming. Wish that I had a digital scan of the ones I did the morning of surgery.....I did a series of them in the same clothes for as long as I could. The other one was at my thinnest when we went to Disneyworld.

Currently I'm between the two pictures.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36