Page 1176 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 17667610761126116611741175117611771178118612261276 ... LastLast
Results 35,251 to 35,280 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm glad it's looking like it was a hoax after all, but when are school officials going to learn to expedite this kind of information?
    Exactly! Wasn't VA Tech held negligent for not dissemenating information to the student body fast enough?

Yeah they need to find a better way to get that info out. My sister was at NIU when they had their shooting. She was about to get off the shuttle bus to head to class when she saw people running from a building and some had blood on them and said that there was a shooting in that building (not the one she was going to but next to it). So she calls me at work and asks what to do....I'm like get the heck out of there. She said on the bus and I was able to find it on the news. They got buses away and she ended up locked on the bus (her stop was last). I was able to get her and the driver who was freaking out updates checking online...more than the driver was getting!
    And this was after VA Tech....was Feb 14, 2008.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm seeing reports that no bombs were found at UT, Katy. I hope this is over or just about over for you and you can get some rest.

When I was in school, bomb threats were a coveted occurrence. That was before anyone outside an inner city school had brought a gun to school and shot their peers. Our bomb threats simply meant 3-5 hours of 'free' time hanging out in a nearby field while the sheriff deputies, k9s and other rescue workers searched our school. We never once thought that there would ever be a real bomb. My, how times have changed and in such a short time. I was class of '94.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

In high school, earthquakes were our reason to party, Chrissy. We'd get the rest of the day off and we'd go to the Venice Beach and pretend to be scared of tsunamis. Good fun.

I need a pep talk, you guys. Sunday is my half marathon. It's my first. I know my pace, and judging from previous years' race results, I know I'm going to finish in the bottom 10 out of about 200 participants. I wasn't going to get caught up on finishing times. My goal was just to run a half before I'm 40, and I just wanted to finish, but now I'm getting all self-conscious, especially from hanging out on Runners World forums and realizing how ill-prepared I am. If it was a bigger running event with a party atmosphere, I wouldn't feel like this, because there would be a lot of casual runners. But I decided to sign up for a local half marathon organized by a running club of serious runners. So there will be mostly these people who think an 8 minute mile is just average. Just please remind me again not to care about having other runners blow past me finishing their 2nd lap around the lake, as I'm finishing my first?
    Last edited by demigraf; 09-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.

You know your reasons for doing this Myles and while you're self-conscious about your time, I'm betting most the runners will be encouraging and supportive. After all, they all started somewhere, right? They're going to be more preoccupied with their own time as well. I'm sure you know that.

An 8 minute mile is supposed to be a good thing? When I was running all.the.time I swear I did it at least 3 times. I felt it and I felt great (and, well, I actually timed myself). I had no idea what it meant in comparison with other runners though. My own average was usually 11 or 12 minutes...but I occasionally had a great run.

eta: I didn't post that to brag at all. It just made me think again that I really, REALLY need to get back into this. You're inspiring me!

eta: And while I realize an 8-minute-mile is "just average" to real runners, I'm still impressed with myself that I achieved (albeit unknowingly) an average speed in the real runner's world. Hmmm....I never ran a day in my life till I was 30. I felt fat, unfit, and ridiculous and never considered for a minute signing up for a marathon of any kind. You rock!
    Last edited by missychrissy; 09-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Go Myles Go!!!

Takes me about 14-15 minutes to get .6 of a mile on my elliptical. I need to go slowly and stop and catch my breath a lot.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

When I first started running, I know I was extremely slow. I bet most people could have walked faster than I was 'jogging'

Don't worry about time Myles!!

When I was running, I just tried to beat my own time and do an average I set. My "average" was a 12 minute mile LOL! To me that is fast. I consider myself a penguin. I finished my 5K over my goal of 37 minutes, as there was a huge mountain to run up and it tired me out as I wasn't prepared for it, it literally was like .75 of a mile up hill for part of that race and I walked halfway up so I wouldn't tire myself out for the rest of the race. It took me 45 minutes to run, so 15 minutes per mile, I was actually satisfied with the 15 minutes per mile and only got self conscious about it because I told DH my time and he said I could have done better and that that wasn't a good time and that made me kind of self conscious but I had to remember that DH is not supportive and I realize he isn't so I just don't tell him these kinds of things since he is one of only a few people that have the ability to hurt my feelings.

But you will do great. Wish I were there, I'd walk the whole thing so you would beat someone lol!

I now only do the elliptical until I get down to a particular size I want to be in, then I will switch back to running. Elle likes to run, she is playing soccer now and getting her run on, but I want us to run together so I will pick it back up.

Erin

The last time I tried jogging was 2006 and I was about at my lightest weight ever. In about one block (not around, just the longer side), I managed to get a stress fracture on the top of my foot. I was wearing good quality tennis shoes too.

Running and I do not get along. Oh and my swimming suits came and they were ALL a bust. Really, not enough bust support in tanki tops for me. My favorite suit of all time came from Junonia...they do plus size sporting clothes and have really good quality. But they are currently redesigning all the suits....I sent them an email telling them how much I liked my old ones from there and asking if they were coming back....they wrote back and said they were redesigning things for the spring 13 collection and were bringing back a lot of popular items. I think that the aquatard I loved was one of them....perfect for water aerobics as it was supportive and the material was chlorine resistant. So thinking I might just wait and see when that collection comes out about getting one there.
    Sucks that I have to return all the ones I ordered though.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

When I jog I go I think 4 (It's been a long time since I set foot on the treadmill)...this is a slow walk to my husband. To be fair he's over a foot taller than I am.

Katy, I'm hoping to hear an update that JoJo is doing fine.

That dog was WAY too skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    How old is the co-worker? That is shocking she didn't know about google. Even my 81 year old dad, who doesn't have a computer, knows what google is!
    She's in her late 50's. She does know what google is but didn't seem to know how to use search terms to find what she needed. We also don't have google bookmarked on our work computers (unless you set it up yourself, like I did) and didn't know how to type the address at the top of the page to bring up google. Still it surprised me.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Katy, I'm hoping to hear an update that JoJo is doing fine.

That dog was WAY too skinny.

She's in her late 50's. She does know what google is but didn't seem to know how to use search terms to find what she needed. We also don't have google bookmarked on our work computers (unless you set it up yourself, like I did) and didn't know how to type the address at the top of the page to bring up google. Still it surprised me.
    It surprises me too. My poor mom just got an email and facebook (thanks to me setting her up with both!) last year. Even she knows how to Google stuff. Of course, it was one of the fundamentals that I taught her when I first created her account and stuff. But still, I've been amazed at the things she was able to Google on her own because you really do have to know the correct terms sometimes...otherwise, results may vary

Now that I mention it, I may as well admit right here and now that the only reason I'm a better-than-average tech (at least in my little world at Cornell) and so popular is because I have an innate ability to Google search some of the strangest issues that no one has a clue how to fix. 5 people can Google about an issue at the same time and I'm almost always the one that finds the correct solution. That doesn't really make me the 'better' tech. Just the better Googler. :-) lol

We had a hectic, hectic day with countless emergencies. More than what we had techs to handle since we were down two people. Randall, my colleague that does the same duties Scott & I do, really stepped up and just took things off my plate for me. He's mild mannered and keeps calm, but even though he has years more experience in that specific dept than I do, as well as in IT in general actually, he stayed back and let me be the coordinator and go between with our boss and what our game plan was. When crap starts hitting the fan, I tend to 'jump in and take over.' Not trying to step on toes, but trying to be efficient and handle everyone. It's a built in skill I cannot control. Rather than feeling like I was trying to show him up, he just let me decide everything, said yes to everything I asked of him, and then at the end of the day said, "Thank you for making us look good. I really appreciate it." How sweet is that? It made the whole crazy, chaotic, out-of-control day worth it. I was like-are you kidding? I'm still amazed...you don't get that often at work from an equal that has more experience than you. And he said it sincerely. I want to bake him a freaking pie or something!

What an amazing compliment! I love it.

Aww Chrissy, that must have made you feel good.

I have amazing google skills and nobody to show them off to. LOL

Oh, and remember how I said Josh doesn't tell me anything that happens at school? His teacher sent home a letter about the highlights of the week I hope she'll keep doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh, and remember how I said Josh doesn't tell me anything that happens at school? His teacher sent home a letter about the highlights of the week I hope she'll keep doing that!
    That's great! Every teacher that did that for my kids tended to do it weekly. I hope his does as well.

I didn't even notice how skinny the Dane was until you guys pointed it out. Imagine having to feed that beast! Giant breeds prone to getting fat? I would imagine they're less likely because of their size, but that's just a guess.

Jennifer, sorry that your swimsuits were a bust. I hate looking for suits. I haven't gotten a new one in years because I tend to cover up in them anyway, and most of the time, I'm running around in suit bottoms and a long sleeved rash guard (like the look I'm sporting in my siggy picture). Half my tops don't have bottoms and vice versa. I really don't bother to match them up anymore. LOL. I like some of the Delta Burke suits I've seen at Ross. Have you tried any of those? I did a quick Google and this one caught my eye:

Chrissy, I'm liking this Randall guy. I'm sure you completely deserved the compliment! Well done!

Kate, glad to hear that Josh's week had highlights. Hope he keeps having those.

Finally, thanks for helping to snap me out of my fears, guys. Apparently, this is my version of "pre-race jitters" which I'm now reading that most runners get. I know it's silly, so I'm trying my best to just ignore that voice in my head that says I'll make an A-hat out of myself. On the plus side, I get to eat lots and lots of carbs tomorrow.

JoJo is fine! I talked to her briefly earlier and everything is okay. Thanks for listening to my freak out earlier. I know I am not on often right now, so I appreciate the support even though I am not really current.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Myles, have you posted on that forum about your 'pre-race-jitters'? I'd imagine they'd have some wonderful tips that we cannot fathom here.

I'm so glad JoJo is ok. Did they evacuate her preschool at all?

Jesi is making her bf watch Flowers in the Attic. I anticipate he'll be asleep in 20 minutes.

Chrissy, we usually only get to hear people complain about coworkers, so it's good to hear about one of the good guys. He sounds wonderful.

Myles, good luck with your run tomorrow. I'm sure you'lldo great. And for every year that passes, you get to knock a minute off your time

Good luck, Myles! You'll do great; I just know it! Katy, I'm glad Jo Jo is OK.

I'm just sitting here watching Celebrity Juice...it's such a crazy British show and so raunchy and wrong...yet so funny:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

Any how. Not much to report here this weekend.

And speaking of running and Celebrity Juice, Jonnie Peacock is a guest on the show tonight...I wouldn't mind going running with this guy! ;)

Have fun on your run tomorrow! I think you are pretty amazing.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I hope y'all had a good weekend! Myles, can't wait to hear more about the run but I see it went well. Yay you. I am very impressed. I can't remember the last time I ran outside of chasing a small person.

My weekend in a nutshell: Met my bff at a park halfway between her place and mine and got to watch her dh treat her like crap. Went to bed early just to get away from dbf and his nasty attitude. Still trying to remedy my very itchy Kai.

BUT on a happy note...my children ROCK. Seriously, I had so much fun with them this weekend. Savana and Kai are at a wonderful age right now and they're best friends. Of course they fight but they play together all.day.long. I'm just really starting to see how much they have each other's back and I'm so glad they have that. And Sawyer's a gem as always.
    Last edited by Bridget; 09-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Hope you had a good run Myles!

Sorry you had to see your bff being treated badly, Bridget. But it's awesome that your kids are in such a good place right now! I hope they are always very close like that.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mylah, I'm so happy that you finished (naturally) and did so well. More importantly, that you set a goal for yourself and stuck to it and accomplished such an incredible feat. I know some of you people who already run might be wondering 'Hey, I run, I do that all the time and I'm not getting any applause here,' and honestly, it's great when anyone runs, but knowing the sheer feat that it would take to get me to run like that, me not being a runner and starting from scratch, is making me more in awe.

For some reason (and I hope I'm not putting my non-sweaty foot in my mouth), it's a little easier to think of people who run in general as somehow being more naturally accomplished or athletic or amazing or just able to do it. I know it's difficult to get into an exercise routine and just do it. It's actually just as impressive to meet people who run all the time. But there is a different level of difficulty to get up and keep doing it every day once you've started doing it. It's easier to actually do the exercise, but not so easy to stay motivated and do it so many times a week. When you're just starting out from being a non-runner, where I see myself from the couch or from a leisurely walk, the harder part to imagine is actually getting out there and running. Running even a mile seems difficult. I walk a lot and have an active job, and have gone through periods when I did regular cardiovascular exercise and longed for more time on the elliptical trainer, but have never enjoyed running. Anyway, congratulations to you, and to all of you who succeed in what you plan to do.

Bridget, so sorry to hear about Kai's ongoing rash issues and the crappy derm visit. I am at a loss as to what to suggest now except I would probably be burying my head under the pillow and saying "La la la la" and maybe asking another doctor about it, especially if it wasn't getting better.

We have discovered that we have a mouse problem, much to my horror. We have been spending the weekend trying to seal up gaps. And we went for a long walk in a regional park, and yesterday we took part in a Creek-to-Bay volunteer clean-up effort. We showed up with gloves and cleaned up along a nearby creek and even S. found a bunch of garbage.

Just overheard DH say to the dog, who apparently was not finishing his dry food, "There are starving puppies in Afghanistan that would love to have this food." LOL!

L, I get what you're saying about being more in awe of someone that starts out running later and then goes and does a marathon. I'm in awe too. I hope you get rid of your mice! I'd be freaking too. They're cute, but I don't want them in my house.

Mandy, your dh sounds like a hoot! That's too funny! How are things with the new addition?

I caved & let Bobbie adopt a cat. Her name is Millie and she's 2 years old. She's a sweetheart and Bobbie is ecstatic.