Page 1175 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 175 675 1075 1125 116511731174117511761177 1185 1225 1275 ... LastLast
Results 35,221 to 35,250 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I think Skype would be a better option than Magic Jack Myles.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Myles, if you want to consider following through, there are some pretty easy steps to take for getting telemarketers to pay up for Do Not Call violations through small claims courts. I have seen some write-ups by lawyers and lay-people, and I'm sure they're searchable. I know it's frustrating.

I love having a cell-phone only existence. I know it has drawbacks but I never get telemarketer calls.

I also only have a cell phone and love it. Though I am considering getting a magic jack for home since Ky is old enough to stay at home by himself now IMO for 20-30 minutes at a time. We have a prepaid cell phone that I have him use when he goes places, but I would like to have something wired so that in an emergency 911 would have our address. I don't know if magic jack or vonage offer that sort of service, but I figure they do since it is a home phone. I guess I'll look into it.

And Myles I believe you about your customer service woes with Comcast. We had some not too bright people working for the company I worked for who did their customer service (if you can understand all that jabber lol). I worked for the Chicago and Pittburg metro calling areas so all our clients were in those specific areas. Later, I did Eugene OR area before they closed the location I worked for. Lots of my co-workers weren't all that into helping people and more into doing anything they could to get them off the phone. Even though I don't really like doing phone based customer service, I'm really good at it since my focus was always "take care of your problem so you never call me again" lol. I very rarely did digital phone service. It was a more difficult job versus cable service, HSI was the worst of all IMO, they had a very high turnover rate. But cable was easy, they were either calling to pay or a repairman or installation/move most of the time and billing wasn't as intricate at digital phone. HSI billing was easiest, and due to that, I did HSI billing along with cable. Back then, they didn't have the triple bundles they have now with the phone service, so I didn't have to deal with phones.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Chrissy, that sounds SO frustrating! Hope tomorrow is a better day.

I'm using sulfer oinment on Kai. My mind is boggled. Because really what are the chances of him getting it again and HOW?? And why don't the rest of us have it? The mayo clinic webpage says that a 6% sulfer ointment is prescribed to pregnant women with scabies. It says to apply for 3 days in a row, leaving on for 24hrs, washing it off, reapplying. I've thought long and hard and decided that this is the best decision because that way if it is scabies, we get rid of them but if it isn't, the worst that happens is that Kai will have really dry skin from the ointment. Luckily I have been treating our home as if he has it by changing bedding every day and cleaning, vacuuming all the furniture and floors.
    Bridget - Yesterday, I was thinking about your situation with Kai (yes, I do contemplate weird things) and I got curious about whether there was an immune component, since it seems weird that he would have them again so soon after all you went through, and your vigilance since then, and the fact that nobody else in your family has any symptoms. Anyway...I didn't find a definitive answer, lol, but I did find this: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sc...l_130866_7.pdf . And now I know way more about scabies than I ever hoped to. Chapter 4 on testing and Chapter 6 on treatment were very interesting and may offer you some additional information to help in this battle. I hope you are able to get the situation resolved soon.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

How old is the co-worker? That is shocking she didn't know about google. Even my 81 year old dad, who doesn't have a computer, knows what google is!

When we get phone books I put them in the recycle bin. We do use calculators and calendars around here still.

So glad that Connor is loving school. I am thinking we will send G to another year of pre-school before kindy. I would much prefer him to be 6 than 5 for kindy. Especially since K is pretty much 1st grade now. It may take him that long to learn to keep his hands to himself ;)
    Last edited by raspberry; 09-14-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Jennifer, I meant I didn't think I remembered how the Dewey Decimal System worked. Since middle school and (as well as our public library) it's all been on a computer. You just search by author, title or subject and it magically tells you where to find it. Probably based on the same system, but zero thought for the person looking for the book.

Oh LOL I have always looked for books that way. Even in my own library I don't know that RC is this subject and RM is another subject. We are fairly small so I know whereabout on the shelf certain subjects are (and we have them labeled with things like radiology or cardiology or management). But really I have aways used an OPAC. I was one of the youngest in my classes (lots of mid-career change people)....and they were shocked that I didn't really know how to use a paper card catalog.
    Dewey is definitely still alive and used...but probably only catalogers know it by memory (and I'm not a cataloger).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Shelley, the thing that made up my mom's mind for me was...did she want me leaving for college as a 17 yr old (would be 18 a few weeks into school)....or an 18 yr old (would be 19 a few weeks into school). She decided that an extra year would better. I only missed the deadline by a few days for going into K and was tested and found ready enough but opted for the year of pre-K.
    Definitely a difference in maturity between myself and my bff who was also older....and the rest of our group who had late summer b-days (so while we were all the same grade....a good 8-12 months difference in age).
    Funny enough, bff and I were also the only ones in our group who went to college and stayed there. Rest of them went and partied and dropped out and are just recently finally finishing.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh just noticed that my ticker has started over.....was wondering if it would do that or if it went past twelve.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, I was thinking something funny yesterday in the car on the way to pick up the kids from school. When I picture you at work, I picture you in my elementary school library!! You are sitting at our school librarian's desk. Miss Wausserman (who, btw, taught me the dewey decimal system). I loved her so much and was in total awe of her huge desk at the library and she seemed to know everything. I remember in first grade I asked her if there were any black people who didn't agree with Martin Luther King and she hugged me and told me I was a very smart girl to ask a question like that. People didn't tell me I was smart very often. Not that I was lacking in love or compliments but that just wasn't one of them. I was glowing that day! Anyway, totally random but I chuckled to myself when I realized that the library I picture you in is that library. Dewy decimal system and all.

Yes Jennifer I did think about that too. I would much prefer him to be a just turned 19 year old college freshman than a just turned 18 year old.

Fingers crossed this is the year for you Jennifer! Have you updated with a new picture of Molly?
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

LOL That is funny. What a nice memory to have. I loved my grade school librarian too. I was a big reader and did things like Battle of the Books. I was going to be a children's librarian when I first started grad school...but life had other plans.
    But um yeah, mine isn't anything like a grade school library! No fiction (bummer as it's my favorite). Posters and models of body parts, full size skeleton, one model is life size and we put a t-shirt on her because really nobody wants to sit there and stare at intestines and all that. Some books have really icky pictures, like the STD atlas.

Shelley, that is what my mom thought too. Bad side of that was I was 18 basically the entire senior year of high school....and legally could call myself in sick. And boy did I ever. I missed around 30 days that year. I had bronchitis for months so I was often tired in the morning....and figured why go in and sit there for 7 hours when I could just get the homework and do it myself in less than two hours. I still got good grades and graduated with honors. Other than orchestra and french, I could have homeschooled myself....school was for socialization!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh and no I haven't updated with a Molly picture yet. I have thought about it but I'm not super anxious most of the time yet. I have thought about having a professional photographer come over and do a family pic with the four of us....but I would ideally like to lose a bit more weight first. And if I update one thing, it's 3-4 things that will also need to be done. Might be a good winter project....we tend to stay in most weekends during the winter.

Bridget, I just got my tdap vaccine less than hour ago and the paperwork I was given (at least for this vax) is that if one is going to have a severe reaction, it happens within the first few minutes to within an hour and hives was listed as a severe reaction.
    I haven't had tetnus since I was 16 before I went to France so very overdue on that one. But really wanted to get the pertussis one done as WI is having a big outbreak of it and given that I work in a hospital and am waiting for my baby....thought it was a good idea.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've always imagined Jennifer working at my college library. This is where I went to uni:

I absolutely loved that college. I was always the youngest in the class; it never hindered me academically (I was my class valedictorian), but I could tell a big difference in my maturity level! I can see it now with Travis being the youngest; he's fine with academics like I was but he still seems so young compared to the kids who are already 5 in his class. Cash will be the oldest in his class and I'm glad for that.

Another Zeus: the new world record tallest dog. http://www.peoplepets.com/people/pet...629396,00.html

Oh I adore big huge dogs.

Um. Wtf is this horrible video sparking these violent protests? Frightening.

Huh. Jennifer. Now that they mention it, I picture you at the central circulation of my childhood local library in Burbank, CA. I can even remember the way the place smelled when I picture it.

We had no school libraries, or really bad ones when I was in India. My mom is a voracious reader, so we'd go to the local library (that usually sucked too), and she's subscribe to tons of magazines, and we'd visit book stores often. I didn't even know about Dewey until I came here.

I guess when a kid is ready to go to school would vary from child to child. Schools in India start on June 1st, and since my birthday is in April, I was usually one of the younger kids in class (mind you, class sizes could be as big as 70 or 80+). Never had any problems academically, and I graduated from high school here when I was 17. Mira would hopefully not have any problems either, since her birthday is in February, and she'd already be 6 1/2 when she goes to 1st grade. I'm pretty sure we'll let her finish up in Montessori until 1st grade.

Yeah, Bridget, it's awful. But apparently, it's unpatriotic to criticize the video too much, because that means you condone the violence or something. That was the substance of my debate yesterday, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Another Zeus: the new world record tallest dog. http://www.peoplepets.com/people/pet...629396,00.html
    I'm all for keeping dogs on the skinny side of normal, but he looks way too skinny. Sounds like a sweetheart, though.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Yeah, Bridget, it's awful. But apparently, it's unpatriotic to criticize the video too much, because that means you condone the violence or something. That was the substance of my debate yesterday, anyway.
    Conspiracy theories abound about the timing and content of the video (it has been overdubbed, and some of the actors in it said that's not the script they used), and whether it was done purposefully to change the course of this election.

I'm kind of freaking out. Flew to Chicago this morning. JoJo stayed at our friends house who have a daughter whomgoesmto her preschool and they took her to school. Arrived at hotel and was going to take a nap (maybe four hours of sleep last night) and just checked on fb. Found that the entirety of the UT campus is being evacuated due to a bomb threat. That's 50,000 students and whoever knows how many faculty and staff. JoJo's school is maybe 6 or 8 blocks from the law school. I hope that it is just a hoax, but until that is shown I am just here in the hotel refreshing the news sites.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

OH, Jesus! I would be freaking out too! Please keep us posted and big hugs to you.

Man, Myles I feel ya. I've seen some startling things posted on some of my fb friends' walls.
    Interesting, Suja. Thinking about things like that really gets me feeling panicky. It's just simply terrifying to imagine that sort of evil manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Bridget - Yesterday, I was thinking about your situation with Kai (yes, I do contemplate weird things) and I got curious about whether there was an immune component, since it seems weird that he would have them again so soon after all you went through, and your vigilance since then, and the fact that nobody else in your family has any symptoms. Anyway...I didn't find a definitive answer, lol, but I did find this: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sc...l_130866_7.pdf . And now I know way more about scabies than I ever hoped to. Chapter 4 on testing and Chapter 6 on treatment were very interesting and may offer you some additional information to help in this battle. I hope you are able to get the situation resolved soon.
    You are so sweet. I was gonna Google too but haven't had the time.

That dog looked emaciated to me.

Work is KILLING us. We have 2 people out, the bosslady in meetings all day. There are 4 of us but we've each had to handle a variety of emergencies. It's Friday people! Then the shredded paper bag had to explode on one of my colleagues and we learned our vacuum doesn't suck...which sucks. What.a.day. It's barely noon!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I'm kind of freaking out. Flew to Chicago this morning. JoJo stayed at our friends house who have a daughter whomgoesmto her preschool and they took her to school. Arrived at hotel and was going to take a nap (maybe four hours of sleep last night) and just checked on fb. Found that the entirety of the UT campus is being evacuated due to a bomb threat. That's 50,000 students and whoever knows how many faculty and staff. JoJo's school is maybe 6 or 8 blocks from the law school. I hope that it is just a hoax, but until that is shown I am just here in the hotel refreshing the news sites.
    I'd be terrified too. It's probably just a hoax. I hope we learn real soon.

Can you call his school and make sure that everything is okay? I hope it turns out to be a hoax.

Oh, Katy I'd be so worried about that too. Can you get a hold of Jojo's school and find out if they're evacuating all the children too? I hope your friends can take her and her little friend far away, just in case. I mostly hope it's just an empty threat, though. I guess there are threats in North Dakota too.

Katy I'm feeling it's just a hoax as well.....if it would have been what the caller said, there wouldn't have been a call to warn anyone.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 09-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm sure it is a hoax, especially after the North Dakota news came in. I have been on the phone with my mom and we are just wait and see right now. She doesn't seem quite as concerned as I am - maybe I am just more worried be ause I can't do anything. UT said they would have an update at 11:45. No explosions as yet. They got the call at 8:35 and the caller said the bombs would start going off in 90 minutes. They didn't send out the evacuation alert until almost 10! There's going to be a problem with that timing. UT is huge and they didn't give everyone enough time to get off campus.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Katy, I hope you're able to contact someone soon and make sure JoJo is safe. Let us know--

I'm sure it is a hoax, especially after the North Dakota news came in. I have been on the phone with my mom and we are just wait and see right now. She doesn't seem quite as concerned as I am - maybe I am just more worried be ause I can't do anything. UT said they would have an update at 11:45. No explosions as yet. They got the call at 8:35 and the caller said the bombs would start going off in 90 minutes. They didn't send out the evacuation alert until almost 10! There's going to be a problem with that timing. UT is huge and they didn't give everyone enough time to get off campus.
    oh dear god.

I'm glad it's looking like it was a hoax after all, but when are school officials going to learn to expedite this kind of information?