Page 1172 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 172 672 1072 1122 116211701171117211731174 1182 1222 1272 ... LastLast
Results 35,131 to 35,160 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

It's not crossing the line, Chrissy. I know when I share this stuff that I open myself up to all of your opinions and I value them. I don't take offense. I actually agree with you.

I agree. It's manipulative and really damaging to his relationship with all of you. Just sad.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Josh told me today that some girl in his class told him she hates him. The teacher is aware and has told the girl not to say that in class but Josh says she says it to him while they're waiting for the bus and the teacher doesn't hear. I'm glad the teacher is aware of it but should I do anything like send a note saying I'm aware of it too? Josh seemed to just kind of shrug it off but it kills me that someone is saying that to him. (as far as I know he doesn't know this girl previously and doesn't provoke her or anything)

Bridget, I hope you get this rash thing figured out soon! Oh and I agree the behavior from dbf is manipulative. I've seen it before
    Chrissy, I'm happy for Bobbie that she got the Petco job. She probably likes it better than McDonald's, eh? You can tell Conner that Josh is his little online friend and that he loved the drawing.

I will Kate, but I got to warn you, Conner is on this Skype kick and may beg to talk to his online friend!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

As for the girl saying that, ugh...I hate that sort of thing too. I'm glad Josh is just shrugging it off. I might send in a note telling the teacher that she's saying it when they're waiting for the bus, where she knows the teacher cannot hear her.

We don't have skype but that might actually be a lot of fun for them, LOL
    Yeah, maybe I will send a note.

I would send a note.
    Btw, Kate, I'm glad you came back

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I would send a note.
    Btw, Kate, I'm glad you came back
    This and this! Glad you're back where you belong.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yes, i've missed you too Kate.

Aw thanks guys! I missed you too.

Kate, if Bodhi were saying that to another kid, I'd want to know so I can at least talk to him about how strong that word is and how hurtful it can be. I hope Josh's teacher will notify the girl's parent. Hugs to Josh.

Wondering if Kai is doing any better this morning?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks for asking, Jennifer. He's not better but not worse. Well, I should say that the full body rash seems better but the scabby one on his legs doesn't look much better. They told me only to bring him in if it was getting worse. I let him go to school. He was begging. I was very unsure but dbf talked me into having him go. I told his teacher to call me right away if he was seeming too itchy. Called and left a message with our pedi as to where to go from here.

Good to hear the rash isn't worse for Kai. Even thought it may seem weird, I'm hoping it is just a virus rash that will go away on its own. Both my kids get random "virus rashes" on occasion, not often but both have had them. Ky woke up with a head to toe rash once when he was a preschooler that freaked me the heck out. It took a few weeks to go away. We had a lot of test run on him and they couldn't find anything so just said it was a virus that was working its way through his system. Maybe Kai starting school has something to do with it, he was exposed to something that caused that sort of reaction. Ky's started when he first went to a daycare within a week of going.

Elle also got one when she first started daycare when she was 2. She also gets rashes in the summer but I figure they are heat rashes, those are worse than the virus rash.

Kate I'm also glad you're back! We missed you around here.

Erin

I hope it's a virus too! Although he has no other symptoms. I am still not totally convinced it isn't scabies. I think I have psychological damage from that! lol The dr told me that is not what it was but I can't stop wondering if it is, and the rest of the hives are because I was washing him with sulfer soap.

Bridget I am glad he's not worse! Is he itching it a lot? I'm sure you'd know if it was something simple like dry skin but I do hope it is something simple like that.
    Thanks Erin! I'm glad to be back and in the loop with you guys. I know we all talk on FB but I know I'm not getting all the goings on from there.
    Josh is doing soccer and he has been insistent about learning piano. We've had a keyboard since he was a couple years old. So I bought him a piano book and I'm helping him learn. I'm glad I remember the basics.

Do you guys who have sent your kids to K ever get an update on what and how they're doing? Josh gives me a very vague description. LOL
    I forgot to put a note in his backpack about the little girl who says she hates him, so I sent her an e mail this morning just saying I was aware of it and that things are being said while they're waiting for the bus, and to let me know if I can help.

It is still like pulling nails to get anything out of Ky about school. That is why I am usually surprised and excited to learn all the things he has been doing via parent/teacher conferences. They say he is REALLY involved in class, has been since a kindergartner, but if you just ask him, you wouldn't know.

Bridget, neither of my kids ever had any other symptoms with their virus rashes, nothing except a rash, no fever even, nothing. That is why I always thought it may just be environmental and that maybe something in the new houses/buildings they were going to set off something with their immune system. When I first moved to Atlanta, I would actually break out in hives in the spring just from going outside due to high pollen counts. To this day if I go into a place with mold problems, even problems the owner doesn't know about, I'll get a rash. I'm really environmentally sensitive.

I understand you being concerned about scabies. I thought of you the other day, I was in the bed and felt a bug on my arm and swatted my arm and it was indeed a bug and it kind of reminded me of a bedbug. I visited one of the properties my company manages recently and all our properties have had bedbugs at one point in time and so I thought I picked one up and haven't been able to sleep since then. I even made DH get up in the middle of the night and I pulled up all the sheets, took apart the bed and got a flashlight (with the lights on) and checked all the nooks and crannies near my bed, under tables, ripped up the bed spring under side, I was going nuts and thought that must how you feel about scabies. Freaked out lol!

I am pretty sure it wasn't a bedbug as the bug was bigger than a bedbug and I'm thinking it was some sort of nasty southern beetle but I am still kind of freaked about it and am planning on ignoring my "no cleaning on weekends" rule and will do a thorough deep cleaning of my bedroom, including carpet cleaning on Saturday in order to ease my mind.

Erin

So sorry for poor little Kai. Between sensitive skin and being very reactive to poison ivy, I've had many itchy rashes in my life and I know they are miserable! I hope his eases up soon.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I just saw a guy walk past in a hooded cape. Where I live people tend to be pretty conservative in dress except maybe the young college students.

I had an experience at dinner Friday where yet again a child was not being controlled well. We were at tables (restaurant runs $12-25 or so a person so not fast food) and the space between tables was really pretty generous. Child kept backing chair out so far that it was against mine...and than making his chair rock which affected MY chair and we already had some food I was trying to eat. So I tried a few times pushing my chair back further than pulling in and making it really obvious I was doing that. Kid just end up pushing his chair out again (kid looked preschool age). Finally turned around and said, could you please stop him from pushing into my chair and rocking it.....and went back to my ribs. Seems like they couldn't as they just moved tables. So than another family a few minutes later was put behind me....except they had four kids.....but all of those kids behaved! Really the first family the mom or dad could have just changed chairs with the kid and that would have worked just as well.

It's kind of sad that we just dread being seated near kids when out to dinner....and than are shocked when we see one where the kids actually sit and eat and don't bother us. I seem to be a magnet for it usually....running around me, crawling under my table, throwing things, moving around so much that it affects my chair, hitting the back of the booth, pulling my hair. OMG. No way in you know what would DH or I have been allowed to be like in a restaurant.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Erin, that reminds me of my brother. Mom would ask him how his day was, and would get a 'Good' or a shrug. She'd ask me how mine was, and get a blow by blow of every single thing that happened during the day. She said that a happy medium would've been nice.

Jennifer, we once went to a really upscale restaurant once (tab for two would be well into the 100s, including drinks, but not including tips), and our jaw just about dropped when, around the time we were leaving, another family left, and they had what looked like a 5 year old with them. She must've been impeccably well behaved, because we did not hear a single whine even. She was very polite to the wait staff, wishing them a good night and everything. I'll admit to thinking that there is just no way I'd be able to bring my little hellion any place nearly that nice at that age.

Yeah we had that when we went to an expensive show in Vegas and family had two kids in front of us. We were oh great, here we go. But they are great during the show.
    At dinner, didn't even say, oh gosh, sorry about that. Didn't either notice him or didn't care as they didn't even try asking him to sit down.

My town doesn't have anyplace at all to eat where a dinner is more than $30 or so a plate. LOL We would have to head to the Twin Cities for that upscale.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So my MIL had to bring her springer spaniel in last night. He was going to be 14 in Dec. Knew it was coming because of age but in the past few weeks, he had been doing pretty well. Last night he was totally fine eating dinner and wagging his tail. By 9pm, she said he had clots of blood coming out of his nose and eyes and eventually mouth. Got him in as quickly as she could but it all happened very quickly and he pretty much would have not lasted more than a half hour longer at home anyway.
    He didn't act like he was in a much pain and we are hoping that was the case. It's just been shocking how quickly it went down. He had started falling a lot recently, most the hips giving out. But that was really about it.
    I have never heard of that happening to a dog before and wonder what it was.

Glad that we saw him labor day weekend....when he saw my DH walk into the house Irving started running around looking for Cosmo. He LOVED Cosmo, didn't care about the puppy but nothing made him happier than obsessing about Cosmo.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Maybe we're rarities, but we end up bringing Bodhi to restaurants in the $40/plate range pretty frequently, as that's fairly normal cost here in SF and along the coast. He's usually welcomed with a Kid's Menu and owners that go out of their way to greet him, accommodate us and make a buffer between us and guests without kids. We do use Yelp to find places that are kid-friendly, though. If Bodhi were misbehaving, we'd remedy it by either pulling him outside or distracting him with a toy or book. My expectations of his behavior don't have anything to do with what my tab is going to be at the end of the night. Whether we're eating at a cheap lunch counter or at a 5-star, we're conscientious of the people around us.

That said, I don't believe it's an immediate social faux-pas to walk into a pricey restaurant with a kid just because the child might act up. It seems like the expectation from some is that, due to kids' volatile natures, parents should not bring small children into high-end establishments EVER. (And there's the perrennial debate over whether toddlers should be allowed to fly in first class.) I am a paying customer, and for all intents and purposes, Bodhi is too. So as long an establishment will take a parent's business - not ban it with a sign at the door saying "no children allowed" - then my expectation is that they cater to me and everyone in my party. If people expect a child-free zone, they should patronize establishments that expressly forbid children. If Bodhi shouts during his meal - because as a 3 yr old, he just may, I'll take him out, but I don't appreciate dirty looks from other patrons on my way out the door, as they chose to eat at a place that allows children, kwim?

ETA: And come to think of it, we're not rarities, as there's usually at least one other family with a small child in the restaurant we're at 4 out of 5 times.
    Last edited by demigraf; 09-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Speaking of one such restaurant, we took Bodhi with us here a couple weekends ago as as belated bday meal for my DH: http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/ (They have an outdoor dog patio and a dog menu for dog lovers!) They were totally awesome to Bodhi (and the 2 other families who were there at the same time), and they had the most amazing nutty, spicy, golden-raisin-y carrot cake I've ever tasted. I don't say that lightly because carrot cake is my favorite cake in the whole world. I think it's mainly because I love cream cheese frosting and this was a 4 layer cake with the frosting in between each layer. I'm not having sugar this week in preparation for my half marathon on Sunday, but I am definitely dragging my whole family back there this Sunday just for a post-race dessert. I've given my parents no choice in the matter. LOL.
    Last edited by demigraf; 09-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Myles, the way I look at it, if the restaurant has a child friendly menu, especially if it has a kid's menu, then patrons should expect kids there and have some tolerance for normal kid behavior. This one most definitely did not (http://trummersonmain.com/). I remember the Spring menu being even less child friendly than the one they have now.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I have been thinking and thinking and thinking about Kai's rash, and I'm sorry I haven't posted anything yet about it. I think it's quite possible for it to be related to the vaccines and just a brief search brings up a lot of reports of rashes following vaccines, although that is not specifically listed as a side effect so that could be why your doctor dismissed that idea. It could be a reaction to the new soap. It could just be a random viral rash. To me, it seems less likely to be scabies again with it appearing all over all at once and being so large, but I have not seen that many scabies rashes in general. Rather than spend a lot of time worrying about it (because you certainly have enough on your plate), I would consider taking him to a dermatologist and seeing if you can get a little scraping of one of the spots, or even just a more expert opinion, to see if you can get it narrowed down. Rashes are really mysterious and difficult, but I would go on the assumption that it is not scabies for now.

Erin, Charlize Theron swears like a truck driver. I found that she's got such a mouth on her before I ever saw her in a movie, and that took away about 95% of her appeal. I have a friend who works in Hollywood, and I think that is the only little bit of gossip I remember from visiting him in his studio.

My kids have been telling me all kinds of stuff about school. They take turns, and one will say one thing and the other one will add something and before too long I'll get a picture of how things are going, pretty much. Yesterday I had a really bad migraine and I was asking DS who he played with at school (that's the question that starts a lot of good stories), and he told me, "I was playing a game called Lord of the Flies with Evan." I met DH's eyes across the dinner table, and widened mine, to express my shock, and asked DH to tell me about the game. He said it's a pretty fun game, and mentioned something about a red orc through my pounding head. It was then I realized that I mis-heard him as saying Lord of the Flies when he really said Lord of the Rings. Meanwhile, DH hadn't noticed my horror and was explaining to them it was based on a book by the same author as The Hobbit, which he'd tried to read to them, and there was a movie about it also. Thanks to DH for covering for me, and thanks to my bed for helping me feel a little bit better by today.

I am really, really glad DS was not playing Lord of the Flies!

Okay, I'm off to try to sort through a ton of toys and clothes and get rid of them while I have no kids in the house for the next hour. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by 3andMe; 09-12-2012 at 12:36 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mylah, $40/plate is kind of on the medium range here, anyway. If there is a kid's menu, it's a kid-friendly place.

Bridget, I read somewhere that some people with gluten-sensitivity have reactions to the protein in oats too, but I wonder if Kai would feel better after having an oatmeal bath?:

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/he...atmealbath.htm
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Oatmeal-Bath

They've helped me when I've had poison oak and such. I remember my dermatologist also recommended a witch hazel compress when I had a bad rash. Just throwing that out there too. I hope Kai improves soon, mama!

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Mylah, $40/plate is kind of on the medium range here, anyway. If there is a kid's menu, it's a kid-friendly place.
    Totally agree on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Myles, the way I look at it, if the restaurant has a child friendly menu, especially if it has a kid's menu, then patrons should expect kids there and have some tolerance for normal kid behavior. This one most definitely did not (http://trummersonmain.com/). I remember the Spring menu being even less child friendly than the one they have now.
    Yum! Of course I look at their dessert menu first, and theirs sound a-mah-zing! Popcorn ice cream? Cream cheese ice cream? I'd have a tough time deciding.

Their chimichurri risotto sounded so good at first, but then I noticed the "burgundy snails". Yech. At least they listed it as an ingredient at the beginning. I get kinda miffed when I read through an ingredients list and everything sounds good until towards the end when the recipe starts to twist up, like "our delightful roasted beet salad boasts mandarin oranges, fennel, peeled hazelnuts, drizzled in truffle oil and (queue the Psycho theme music) topped with thin shavings of black pudding made with blood harvested from our own herd of goats". That's probably my number one menu pet peeve. I feel so led on. ;)
    Last edited by demigraf; 09-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.