Page 1157 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 15765710571107114711551156115711581159116712071257 ... LastLast
Results 34,681 to 34,710 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

PSA for y'all. Maybe a 2 1/2 year old isn't ready for MJ's Thriller video. That is all.

LOL, Suja. Yeah, I don't think even my 4 year old would want to see that!

Oh yeah I was 5 yrs old when that came out and I remember being scared....just the right amount scared. My dad was an MJ fan.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

A few weeks ago, there was a safety seminar at the playgroup that we go to; there was a fire fighter who gave a presentation about hazards in your house and he had a massive doll house type set up and showed you how smoke detectors work, etc. Ever since then, Travis is scared of the smoke alarm upstairs! We try to talk to him all the time about how he shouldn't be scared of things that are not real like monsters since he knows monsters are not real, but he still acts scared of things some times. There's no reasoning some times with these kids!

We're just going over our budget and it looks like with me working and the childcare expenses, we might just be $50 better off a month. LOL. I'm hoping to put that to a car payment if I can ever get DH to agree to getting a new car. Oh, and a vacation next year would be nice, too. LOL. I sometimes think I should have worked harder at uni to be a dr. or something to make big bucks so that we could have all sorts of stuff, but when I look at my work-life balance, I sure do like having a lot time with my family and not very much stress in my job, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts as they say over here!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    A few weeks ago, there was a safety seminar at the playgroup that we go to; there was a fire fighter who gave a presentation about hazards in your house and he had a massive doll house type set up and showed you how smoke detectors work, etc. Ever since then, Travis is scared of the smoke alarm upstairs! We try to talk to him all the time about how he shouldn't be scared of things that are not real like monsters since he knows monsters are not real, but he still acts scared of things some times. There's no reasoning some times with these kids!

We're just going over our budget and it looks like with me working and the childcare expenses, we might just be $50 better off a month. LOL. I'm hoping to put that to a car payment if I can ever get DH to agree to getting a new car. Oh, and a vacation next year would be nice, too. LOL. I sometimes think I should have worked harder at uni to be a dr. or something to make big bucks so that we could have all sorts of stuff, but when I look at my work-life balance, I sure do like having a lot time with my family and not very much stress in my job, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts as they say over here!
    This is priceless. You have all the time you need to do something else after they grow up. They're only little once.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Well, the good news is that she's young enough that she didn't quite know what was going on, and I could BS my way out of it (oh, he's just trying to scare the girl, he just put on fake teeth and make-up, and what he did is, we both decided, NOT NICE.)

Mira hasn't had a nap, but just fell off the chair and hit her ear/head on the table. Now I'm scared to let her go to bed, and she needs to sleep in the worst way. Oh, and this was right after I burned my arm pretty good on the grill pan. Not fun.

I remember seeing Thriller for the first time. It scared me a lot but I LOVED it! We used to ask my dad constantly to check channel 17 (mtv) to see if Thriller was on. I remember we had a "remote" that actually connected to the tv with a cord. It was a huge rectangle and the buttons were more like switches.

I'm thinking the night after the first time I saw it, I ended up in my parents bed.

Really? I don't ever remember being even remotely afraid of it. Hmmm....but then, I did watch Friday the 13th and Nightmare On Elm St movies from 5 up...maybe younger. I LOVED being scared! They didn't even scare me as much as thrill me, if that makes sense. Thriller was nothing more than dancing people in costumes to me.

I was really a wus as a child, but I think I was old enough (middle school age) when Thriller came out that it wasn't scary to me. I also just saw people in costumes. I can see that it would be scary for a younger kid, though.

Jennifer, sorry if I brought up any painful memories last night. It really helps to have a friend who has been there and hears me rant along the way - I don't know the girls in STC that well. Oddly enough, I'm the only one who seems to be there long term now that certain members have moved on. So even though you chose the adoption road I know you've been through all this same stuff emotionally. I'm actually reading a book right now called "Navigating the Land of IF" (infertility/"if" as an improbable) and there are sections on choosing different paths - IVF, adoption, and even choosing to remain child-free. I really am enjoying it so far, two chapters in. You might appreciate it, too. It's written by an STC-er, not a doctor (although she had medical advice in writing it) and actually it's a great read I think for anyone who is close to someone who is going through this, too.

I kind of have a one-track mind at the moment - sorry, everyone. I'm reading along and thinking of all of you even if I'm not responding directly to everyone's comments.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I remember when we went to see Nightmare on Elm Street. It was a late night showing, and when we got back home (me and two girl cousins; we all slept in one big bed together), no one wanted to sleep although we were all exhausted, and once we realized we would eventually have to sleep, a fight ensued over who would sleep at the ends. We all kind of ended up piled on top of each other in the middle.

I was a total wus. I still am. I do not like scary, gory, disturbing stuff. Well I do love Dexter actually but I have to close my eyes through some parts.

Mandy, no need to explain. That's what we are here for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I was really a wus as a child, but I think I was old enough (middle school age) when Thriller came out that it wasn't scary to me. I also just saw people in costumes. I can see that it would be scary for a younger kid, though.

Jennifer, sorry if I brought up any painful memories last night. It really helps to have a friend who has been there and hears me rant along the way - I don't know the girls in STC that well. Oddly enough, I'm the only one who seems to be there long term now that certain members have moved on. So even though you chose the adoption road I know you've been through all this same stuff emotionally. I'm actually reading a book right now called "Navigating the Land of IF" (infertility/"if" as an improbable) and there are sections on choosing different paths - IVF, adoption, and even choosing to remain child-free. I really am enjoying it so far, two chapters in. You might appreciate it, too. It's written by an STC-er, not a doctor (although she had medical advice in writing it) and actually it's a great read I think for anyone who is close to someone who is going through this, too.

I kind of have a one-track mind at the moment - sorry, everyone. I'm reading along and thinking of all of you even if I'm not responding directly to everyone's comments.
    You are absolutely entitled Mandy. Don't even think 1 second about it. You've been there for us. I wish I could do more than offer you virtual hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I remember when we went to see Nightmare on Elm Street. It was a late night showing, and when we got back home (me and two girl cousins; we all slept in one big bed together), no one wanted to sleep although we were all exhausted, and once we realized we would eventually have to sleep, a fight ensued over who would sleep at the ends. We all kind of ended up piled on top of each other in the middle.
    This is funny. I remember when we were all really little & watching those movies, we'd all sit with our feet up on the couch. My older-by-7-months-which-was-a-big-deal-back-then cousin told me Freddie Cougar was under that and would grab my feet.

But like I said, I don't remember being genuinely afraid. There was fear, yes, but it's similar to riding a roller coaster (which I love). It's a thrilling fear. Nothing like I'd imagine I'd feel if I were really being chased by a mass murderer.

Oh - the feet! I remember seeing an episode of some scare show as a child (maybe Tales from the Dark Side?) and somehow got some deeply ingrained fear of a hand reaching out from under the bad to grab my ankle. I swear, I got into bed by vaulting into it from two feet away from that day until probably after I was married, and that was in my 30s! I noticed recently that I don't do that anymore, but seriously I'm not sure when I stopped.

Oh - the feet! I remember seeing an episode of some scare show as a child (maybe Tales from the Dark Side?) and somehow got some deeply ingrained fear of a hand reaching out from under the bad to grab my ankle. I swear, I got into bed by vaulting into it from two feet away from that day until probably after I was married, and that was in my 30s! I noticed recently that I don't do that anymore, but seriously I'm not sure when I stopped.
    omg *snort*

Ok, we did that as kids too. I think I stopped at 8.

Bwahahahaha!!!

The best thing ever...Jesi hid under Bobbie's bed at our other house and did that to her! She reached right out and grabbed her ankle hard & yanked. Poor Bobbie nearly had a heart attack and I almost pissed my pants laughing. Actually, I think I did squirt a little. Jesi can be mean...but that was some funny sh!t.

OMG, I so would have had a heart attack! That is not nice, Jesi. But funny as heck!

That's the trouble with teenagers...especially ones like Jesi. It was a cruel thing to do. But funny. Even Bobbie was laughing about it even though when it first happened she was crying she was so scared. I felt torn...like I should punish her, but I couldn't stop laughing and Bobbie couldn't stop laughing. So we let it go. I just told her she was mean. She was like, "I know!"

This was before she'd been attacked of course. Jesi wouldn't have done something like that after.

OMG, Mandy, I could've written that! Although I stopped a bit sooner, I was terrified of the hand under the bed grabbing my feet too, and would jump on and off the bed. You can thank Stephen King for that (it was a book with puppets in it, I think). You'd think that I would stop reading stuff I couldn't handle, but nooooo! Also, for the longest time, I would wash half my face at a time, so I could have one eye open, courtesy of Psycho. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure I have stopped that.

OMG, Mandy, I could've written that! Although I stopped a bit sooner, I was terrified of the hand under the bed grabbing my feet too, and would jump on and off the bed. You can thank Stephen King for that (it was a book with puppets in it, I think). You'd think that I would stop reading stuff I couldn't handle, but nooooo! Also, for the longest time, I would wash half my face at a time, so I could have one eye open, courtesy of Psycho. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure I have stopped that.
    I havent' watched Psycho in years...well, none of them really. I was just thinking about Psycho in particular last week and how it would be nice to watch it again.

Glad it's not just me!

*plots some fun for a future Secular get together*

Glad it's not just me!
    We can all be wimpy together, LOL! Except, Chrissy, who can be our bodyguard to chase Freddie and hockey mask guy and Norman Bates away.

Secular movie night, with popcorn and slasher movies? I'm torn - love the bonding but I'd have to keep my eyes closed the whole time! Bridget would be right there with me, though, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    *plots some fun for a future Secular get together*
    I am so checking under the bed and inside the closets. Also, Mandy'll be packing heat, right?

I am completely okay with horror movies now, but there are not a lot of them out there. I'm not okay with torture movies. That's not the same as horror.

Sure, Suja - I'll bring the assault rifle. That should scare anything away!

So I've been multi-tasking - reading this thread and chatting with my sister on fb. A little while ago she asked if she could ask me a "Really rude" question that was not about me. Then her daughter called and she left and asked if I'd still be around in 15 minutes or so (this was about 45 minutes ago). She never asked that question, and I'm really dying to know what it is! Should I worry?

We were talking about infertility. Suppose it's about DH's sperm or something? Or just totally unrelated?

For years I would do the vault from across the room. Someone grabbing your feet is scary ****!! I loved the thrill of scary movies, I used to watch a lot when I was younger-preteen and teenage years especially. The movie The Shining came out when I was nine years old and the commercial for it alone would send me into freak out mode. The commercial voice-over and those creepy twins and the little boy saying redrum, Jack Nicholson chopping the door down- freak out material for a nine year old. But yet a year later my friends and I used to run around outside in the dark, pretending we were in An American Werewolf in London. One girl would be the werewolf and howl behind the trees and the rest of us would run screaming. When I was older my favorites were the first two Halloween movies. Oh and Alien. I watched that with my sister, and she and I had to cuddle together because we were so scared. Now I really couldn't care less about scary movies. I think the last one I saw was Seven. No interest in those Saw movies.

I was 12 when Thriller came out. I used to listen to Thriller on my new walkman while I fell asleep. heh ;)
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Yes, Id be right there with ya, eyes squeezed shut!

I'm sort of dying to know what your sister was going to say.

So I just tucked Savana and in and we were talking about school. She's been really negative about it but tonight she actually said to me that she really likes everything about it except that she is scared it's going to be too "busy". When I asked her what she meant she said that there are too many kids and that the noise and the business really bother her, give her a headache, make her feel scared. Her exact words then were, "Mom, what I really need is a school with 6 or 10 kids in my class so that it's quiet and I can focus and get help if I need it."
    The class sizes ARE to big in this school, in spite of it being charter. It's my biggest disappointment and I had asked the question of class sizes and didn't get a clear answer. I counted 27 lockers for Savana's class and 26 for Kai's. Now I'm feeling really disheartened and sad that my daughter is telling me exactly what she needs (and I agree it's what she needs) but I can't make it happen.
    I started googling private schools and not only are they too expensive but they are ALL christian based around here.

Oh, Bridget, I was just about to say that I hoped the class sizes were smaller in the charter school. It's amazing that Savana is able to articulate her needs to you so clearly and I'm sure she's exactly right. Maybe you can talk to the teacher about watching for signs that S is overstimulated and offering her a chance to do her work in a quiet area or something if that helps her?

With what you said about a lot of hands-on learning it may be less structured than a teacher standing and lecturing, so they may be able to be more flexible for her than they might otherwise be. Hopefully it all works out.

My sister did come back and I don't know if what she asked is what she considered "really rude" but she wanted to know what I thought of the whole Chick-Fil-A uproar! I have to LOL hysterically because my DH (who she has on her fb, too) has been posting all kinds of pictures of shotguns lately and asking a lot of tough-guy military questions. We're both pro-gay-marriage but I am thinking she was assuming DH was one of these tea-party types which is not at all the case. We aren't socially conservative. I'm just laughing at what she must have been thinking and how she had to ask in such a round-about way. Actually, the more I think about it the funnier it gets. DH doesn't get why I'm so amused, though.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Hahahahaha about the Chik Fil A. I was going to guess it was about apparatus (ahem) or deed-doing frequency or something. I was on the edge of my seat.

I have to go write a blog entry real quick before a Dexter show, so I only have a quick minute, but my kids liked the first day of kindergarten. There are 24 kids in their class (with spots up to 27). I am pretty happy that there are a lot of boys that seem like they will get along with DS in the class, and not too many princessy type girls in the class, so DD may not form an instant clique. It seems like it will be more favorable for DS to make friends and a little less likely for DD to be the bossy ring-leader.

Both of them said they liked it, but whew! 20 minutes of homework every night starting today. We do stuff all the time, but it's hard to do it every single day like this. I guess it's time to get used to it.