Page 1151 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 151 651 1051 1101 114111491150115111521153 1161 1201 1251 ... LastLast
Results 34,501 to 34,530 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

That's so cute that he saw the hippo was acting like him.

Our day ended ok. Well, it ended well for me & Conner. He was fine by the time I took him to his dad's house. But Rich was drinking and wanted 'to talk' I was doing my wash so I was stuck there for an hour. Thankfully, my sil and brother were both there so I could mostly chat with them. I had to tell Rich twice though that I wasn't talking about a particular thing now, we'd do it on another day when he wasn't drinking. After I left he posted on FB, "why me" and then something else depressing. It frustrates me to no end.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I forgot to mention this and wanted to see if any of you ladies have any experience with it, but since Mr. Hyde passed away, DH has been really paranoid something will happen to Bruno, our other dog. He took him to the vet a couple weeks ago for his annual checkup and even though he has been on Heartguard since he was a puppy, he tested positive for heartworm and had to do the treatment called immiticide, I believe. He has been doing okay with it and since we have proof he was on Heartguard, they will be reimbursing us for the treatment but this weekend Bruno started coughing up a lot of blood and stopped eating and we were concerned he wouldn't make it through the night.

This is rough dog year for us I guess. Bruno is only 3 years and I'm pretty pissed off that we spent all that money on Heartguard and it failed to protect him from heartworm. We are thinking that since Mr. Hyde was on Heartguard too that that may have been a contributor to him dying, it not protecting him from the worms. They are very prevalent here and we never miss a dose due to that as I have seen dogs die from heartworms and it is a horrible thing to watch an animal endure.

We are all just so worried about Bruno. He looks like he has lost 10lbs or more over the past week as I could even see his hip bones and ribs. I've been giving him some chicken and rice with broth, since the broth seems to help him drink as he also doesn't want to drink water and I figure him drinking something will keep him from getting dehydrated. He's been urinating normally and he doesn't look very dehydrated and he is still walking around a little but just looks so pitiful. He is suppose to get a second, then third dose of the treatment soon and we are thinking of putting it off for a week or so as we are not confident he can survive it. It makes me want to sue the makers of Heartguard.

I read that the regular Heartguard has been failing in protecting dogs, of course after this happened to Bruno. I wish I knew about it sooner and I would have given both dogs Interceptor but our vet said that it has more serious side effects and some dogs don't take to it well. They want us to do Heartguard Plus after the treatment is over, but I'm concerned with going with another Heartguard so I am thinking of trying the Interceptor after this.

Erin

Oh gosh, Erin. I have no idea about all that but so sad to hear he is doing poorly.

I wish I knew too...but I'd be like you and very hesitant to use the same brand that already failed. Poor doggie.

I'm slightly annoyed that my neighbor posted a complaint about being woken up at 3:35 a.m. on FB rather than texting/calling/talking to me about it. Jesi & Bobbie were both with me (as was Conner) and I just had a feeling it was one of my teens so I asked her. She didn't know which one, but it was definitely one of them. How hard would it have been to say something TO me? We're friends after all.

I'm sorry about Bruno, Erin. Just as an FYI, Interceptor is what my dogs have been on, for the entire time we've had them, and we've recently had to switch to Heartguard. Interceptor is made by Novartis, and is part of the big factory shut down (we don't know why, but quality control issues of some magnitude), so it is not available currently, nor is there any ETA for it.

Heartworm treatment is extremely tough on dogs. I am kind of surprised they jumped immediately to immiticide, as it is better to kill off the circulating larvae first using a standard heartworm medicine (Sentinel has the same active ingredient as Interceptor, BTW), and then use the immiticide to get the adults. I believe that this sort of thing is the standard protocol: http://www.animalhosp.net/Images/Vie...aspx?Id=117198

I have heard of the Sentinel as well thanks for the info Suja. I just do not want to do another Heartguard product.

Our vet sai that immiticide would be the best treatment for Bruno due to him already being on Heartguard, which is suppose to kill off the baby worms. He said he was in a stage 3 heartworm investation, which means he has adult worms and so they went to the 1st phase on your link which is giving him the first shot. They also told us that his case was not all that bad, really a high stage 2 and that was probably due to him being consistently on Heartguard. We are suppose to wait 3 weeks and go back for another shot then another the next day and that is suppose to kill of 98% of the worms, then we have to do another preventative Rx to kill off the remainder. I will look up info on the Sentinel. I just don't trust the Heartguard people anymore especially since I also found out that it is recommended that here in the south that you should use something stronger than the regular formula for Heartguard since heartworm is such a nuisance here. Pretty much all dogs get it if they go outside in metro Atlanta and here, TX, MS, and FL are the areas where dogs die the most from it. We have a large mosquito population being that this area used to be kind of swampy hundreds of years ago and there are still "underwater ponds" and such in my own neighborhood where water seeps up through the ground and causes large mosquito populations here.

Erin

After Rich's whining on FB last night, my girls went over to pick up some clothes and found Rich was passed out. Syd (13) was watching Conner, but they don't always get along very well so I had them bring Conner to my house for the night. Syd wasn't happy. I think she felt insulted, but she's too young to be responsible for Conner. Too immature too. It was ok as long as he was behaving nicely, but that's all he needed was to start one of his fits and goodness only knows how it would turn out. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with custody of him. I'm not complaining at all. Far from it. I just wish it didn't have to be a situation where I'd have to fight for it.

Erin, our rescue stopped pulling from the South specifically because of the HW problem. IIRC, every dog we pulled in the last batch tested positive and required treatment, and that's a huge drain on already constrained resources.

Chrissy, I was wondering how Conner ended up at your place along with the girls. Hope he is adjusting well to staying over.

He's been staying over more and more. That part is fine. He even asks to spend the night when it's not "my" night to have him. I've not yet told him no and I won't. Rich was getting a little sore about it because it wasn't supposed to be "my" weekend, but Conner ended up staying the whole time anyway.

I was going to ask if you are uncomfortable dropping Conner off with Rich when he is drinking. So he woke up to Conner being gone? Such a shame he's drinking again.
    Your neighbor posting on fb would have really, really bothered me. I'd be upset with anyone I knew if they posted a passive aggressive status aimed at me. I see people doing it a lot and I wonder how their family and friends can stand it.

I really didn't think much of it when I dropped Conner off. I should have. I guess I'm still an optimist when it comes to Rich? I shouldn't be. I thought he'd stop drinking. My brother and Rich's sister were there when I left so I didn't really put much thought into it at all. We're going to have to talk, that's for sure. I'm just wondering when I should stop the talk and just file for custody. Maybe now? Ugh. I hate the idea of it.

I'm really surprised she did that because like I said, we're friends. She's very nice and doesn't seem to be the passive aggressive sort. I'll just tell her in a friendly way she can tell me any time me or my kids annoy her. We have to share a house and the last thing I want to do is be "that" neighbor.

That was weird of your neighbor Chrissy, especially if you two get along. Maybe she thought you wouldn't take it well though. I know sometimes people are so anti-conflict that they are afraid to tell someone in person what is bothering them, but it doesn't make sense of her to post something on FB unless it was a private message or something letting you know your girls were loud.

No advice on the Rich situation. I feel like he is pushing you to file for custody. Do you have a legal seperation? If not, I'd probably do that as a first step.

Erin

We're not legally separated. We were just going to go ahead with the divorce since it's uncontested. There's an agency in our county that will assist with all the required paperwork for less than $400. I trust them as I used them many, many years ago when I got custody of Bobbie & Jesi. They know their stuff. I figure, why waste the time with a separation if it's not required, we know we're getting a divorce, and it would just cost more $ in court fees. Although, things may change now that I'm thinking of asking for custody of Conner...or at least for his primary residence to be with me.

I hope Rich is just smart and understands that Conner is better off with you. He can't be watching R drink, whine about how awful his life is, pass out. That's not healthy. What about Syd then? Will y'all just let her decide?

I feel like I must be the only parent that doesn't want school to start. Like, not at all. Every day I see countless posts of fb about how people are either so happy it started or that can't wait for it to start. I for one to do not like to wish time away like that. It's so precious. Then I just think I am a freak because I actually get a stomach ache just thinking about them being gone all day. Both Savana and Kai?? My house will be so empty without them.

I still strongly dislike the idea of Bodhi being away at school/daycare, especially on days like today, when we just got back from a fun roadtrip and he pleaded not to be dropped off. Sigh. Would that I didn't have to work. My SAHM friends who seem so unhappy about being with their kids all day don't know how good they have it.

Chrissy, I do hope it's as straightforward as can be with you and Rich. It's probably best for the whole family for the transition to happen fast so everyone can get settled into their new routines. That's just weird about your neighbor posting on FB. Hopefully, she was just too tired and grumpy to think it through. But really, what, are we 13 years old? I have enough going on that I don't care to be sucked into anybody else's drama. In fact, it makes me super uncomfortable to read statuses of folks who are obscurely having it out with some unnamed person for the world to see. Isn't that what private messaging is all about?

On slightly related note, the one time I unfriended someone over a status was this girl from high school who wrote a something in her status like "I don't want to see any more insipid posts about your children!" Seeing as how she must have been friends with any number of us from high school who had become parents, I can only assume she was trying to offend us all and tell us in her own nebbish way that she didn't want to hear from us about our kids anymore, so I obliged her.

People are so RUDE!
    ANd I have to agree that most of the people that I see wanting school to start to badly are sahm's and my first thought is always that some people would give practically anything to have lazy summer days with their children. I am so glad that I have been able to remain grateful for all the time I get to spend with mine. Grateful to be grateful, so to speak.

I was only happy school started because Ky loves school and was ready to go back. I wish school started here in September like it used to when I was a girl. I like spending the summer with the kids and when I was a SAHM, we had a lot of fun in the summer and I do miss that time now - mostly just hanging out at the pool with a good friend of mine and her kids. I miss her and her kids too. Plus I like staying up late and laughing and such and during the school year it is pretty hectic. It helps that my kids are far apart in age as well and they don't argue as much as kids closer in age I think. But really, even when they do argue I just tell them to take it upstairs because I don't want to hear it lol! When they are done they can come back.

Erin

I don't want school to start back either! I will miss my babies so much!

This is totally off topic, but I need girls' opinions on dresses! Which of these do you like better for going to a ladies day out horse racing outfit? I've got to get a fascinator to match the outfit on Weds, so I'm trying to decide which I like better; with the pink one, I have silver sparkly sandals, so would go with something silver in my hair. For the blue, I'd probably get something black to match the black shoes. (And please forgive my goofy looks in the pics...I hate posing! and my hair was a mess because I've had it in a ponytail today! :S )

Erin sending good throughts your way for Bruno! That is scary and hope that he pulls through. I had no clue that heartgaard didn't do it 100%....it's what we have always used too.

Chrissy, it does sound like you might have to file soon. Though I can see the neighbor doing that....I could see me doing that. Just want to complain a bit and not thinking that she could have just went to you. Especially in the middle of the night.

Ashley, they are both really cute. I tend to like the blue slightly better but it's also a little dressier. The blue seems more of a night dress and the pink more a day dress. Are the races really formal and are they day or night?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It's a day time thing. And they're quite formal as most ladies wear hats or fascinators as well.

is one more comfortable to wear over the other?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Are you kidding, Ash? You look AMAZING! I like them both and agree that the blue seems more for night, but if the events are formal, then you could totally rock the blue one during the day. They both look great on you. The pink does bring out the rosiness of your complexion a little more. I'm afraid I'm not much help because I like them both so much on you.

Erin, I too wanted to send Bruno some good doggie vibes, and I hope your vet's recommendations will have a swift healing effect on him. And I also wouldn't worry about what the scale says, although I know how depressing the number read-out can be. If you've been lifting weights then there might be excess fluid in your muscles. I've been there! It will flush out, and you will feel stronger and lighter in a short while. Don't stop doing what you're doing.

I like the pink over the blue for a daytime event. The blue seems more night, and more like a clubbing kind of dress to me. I'm also not sure what sort of head gear would go with the blue.

Erin, I am trying to make hard shelled tacos in the frying pan like you described. So far i've only got one that looks like a taco shell! They keep breaking when I go to fold them! I will make do with crispy flat tortillas for now, but what do you imagine I am doing wrong?

I took the kids to a new park tonight and in spite of everything I am about to tell you, it was the most fun we've had the park in a long time. There were about 9 other kids there. Super small park. One mom was sitting in the park shelter on her laptop with an earpiece in and as far as I could tell was downloading music since she was jammin out. The next mother was in her van parked in the street reading a book. the third was sitting in the grass doing something with her phone.

What a trip it was. These 2 girls 7-10 ish kept coming up to Savana all snapping their gum and tossing their hair, "You wanna play wit us?" She like, "No thank you" and then they'd whisper to each other and Savana would just shrug and run away. Then the little boys ranging from about 3-11, half of which had taken their shirts off went and started digging in Kai's backpack finding Buzz and Woody and proceeding to cuss and scream at each other and fight over the toys. Kai ran over and was like, "Boys! Stop! I know my toys are super cool but I'm a really nice kid. My mom says I'm great at sharing so," he rips it out of one kids hand and hands it to another, "You start and pass it to the next guy, then the next guy, then the next.." and it was so hilarious I never even had to step in. He regulated. So I'm just chasing Sawyer everywhere because he is a little hellion at the park and climbing up super tall ladder slides and then I don't know if I should assist him in the climb or scurry down and get to the bottome of the slide where he will shoot like a torpedo as soon as he gets to it. All these little ragamuffin, cussing, spitting boys were there every single time where I wasn't. "It's ok Lady! I got him. I'll catch him!" It was so sweet.
    Then I look over and those 2 gum smacking girls are sitting next to my purse/diaper bag and totally peeking in and looking around like they are about to take something. So I snuck up on them and said, "RAHHH!" and they screamed. Lol! I said, "I know you lovely ladies are not about to take something out of my purse." The one right away pointed to the other and said, "SHE was about to steal that bag of snacks right there." So I said, "Oh, you want this soggy old waffle that I brought for my baby? Or how about these stale pretzels with no salt at all. Mmmmm." and they were giggling so hard and telling me how nasty that was. Then the older of the two said, "You should never have left your purse anyway. You should carry it with you," with major 'tude. So I told her I didn't realize there were two very nosy and quite hungry ladies at the park. They laughed and laughed. I wasn't even mad at them but do you know I later realized the mom of one of them was sitting in that van right next to the bench we were at and had to have heard the whole conversation. Not one of those moms once said a work to their children until it was time to go. Which would have been fine if everything had been harmonious but Kai and I were like the playground moniters there!

OMG Ash! EITHER! You look hot and cute at the same time, which is rather difficult to pull off. Either dress would work though and you're sure to be the envy of a lot of women there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I hope Rich is just smart and understands that Conner is better off with you. He can't be watching R drink, whine about how awful his life is, pass out. That's not healthy. What about Syd then? Will y'all just let her decide?

I feel like I must be the only parent that doesn't want school to start. Like, not at all. Every day I see countless posts of fb about how people are either so happy it started or that can't wait for it to start. I for one to do not like to wish time away like that. It's so precious. Then I just think I am a freak because I actually get a stomach ache just thinking about them being gone all day. Both Savana and Kai?? My house will be so empty without them.
    I don't know if it's a NY thing or not, but the kids get to decide at 13 which parent they prefer to live with. As long as there isn't any overt abuse, the kid usually gets what they want. Because Rich hasn't ever been charged with any alcohol related crime, I can't use that as grounds for sole custody. I may be able to use testimony from others, but if they're all my family it won't carry weight. I don't really want to pitch the kids against him either as that could backfire. It's all really complicated. I'm keeping track of everything though. Even his FB posts.

Conner begged & cried to stay with me yet again.

Erin, so sorry about Bruno. I never knew that heartguard didn't protect the pet I hope he's feeling better.

Chrissy, that is good you are keeping track of everything. I hope the filing goes easily and R doesn't contest you having custody of C.

Ash, you are so cute! I love both dresses, but I would lean toward the pink one and save the blue for a date night. I admit I had to google the word fascinator.

Bridget, you handled those kids beautifully. I need to remember that if I encounter something like that. My first reaction would be to just leave. Not really teaching G the right thing there.

Not sure if I mentioned here but G will be starting pre-K the day after Labor Day. My dh works in a tiny town about 45 minutes from us and we are sending him to the local preschool 3x week. It's going to be all day long from 8:15-2:50. Which means dh & ds have to leave the house at 7am! That is a huge change for us, G normally wakes up at 7. Since it's so far from home I won't be doing the pick-up and drop off, I am a little sad about missing that part of school. I will go his first day, but I won't be able to go much after that. We went to the school open house last week. I love his teacher, I got a really good feeling from her. It's a small class, 11 kiddos. I am going to miss my boy so much. I can tell he is excited and a little nervous. He thinks he will be spending time with daddy in the Everglades chasing alligators LOL. My dh works on the edge of the Everglades Park. While G is at school, momma will be looking for work. Since we weren't the powerball winner. Darn it. Ha, you have to play to win.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Ash, definitely the pink. Absolutely love it and you look great.

Chrissy, I'm glad Conner wants to stay with you. I'm sure it's best for him. Are you sure you don't need a separation in NY? My brother took years for his divorce to finalize but I was told he had to be legally separated for a year before he could file in NY. Of course, maybe it's changed since then or it was specific to the county where he lived at the time. The whole thing was a nightmare, though. I hope in your case you can just file and get it all agreed to without too many hang-ups. I can't believe he is passing out drunk when in charge of the kids. Definitely save every fb post, voice mail, everything you can find.

Bridget, I can't believe those moms! Didn't it occur to them to look in their kids' direction every once in a while? The bright side is that your children are developing great negotiating skills!

Erin, so sorry about Bruno. I'll keep him in my thoughts. That's crazy he was on Heartguard the whole time.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yeah, I can handle the kids and the outrageous behavior they exhibit but it's the parents I have little patience for. And I wanted to add that I did zip up my diaper bag and put it on my shoulder for the rest of the park. Those girls came up to me at one point to tell me I did not have to do that and they promised they wouldn't take anything. But I still kept it on my shoulder.
    Also, the one mom playing on her phone the whole time, her son was the most obnoxious and rude of all. He never cussed and he had all his clothes on but he was very sneaky and rude. I watched her watch him do some pretty nasty things and say nothing. i'm all for letting kids work stuff out but when my kid is being a total jerk, I step in. She didn't. So I did. And she didn't care.
    Last edited by Bridget; 08-20-2012 at 06:18 PM.

There are so many lazy parents. Poor kid.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6