Page 1133 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 13363310331083112311311132113311341135114311831233 ... LastLast
Results 33,961 to 33,990 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Suja-

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Suja, I hope everything is okay.

You girls are making me homesick for fall colors. Even where the weather is cooler here, it is mostly pine forest so no changing leaves. I remember we had great fall leaves in NY.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Chrissy I am glad to hear you go home ok!!

Jen I hope you have a great time at the B&B! We have never stayed at one either, but have always wanted too. Everytime we planned a trip to one it would never work out. The girls will be OK I promise. They will be all the more happy to see you when you return

Ugh Suja, I’m sure it’s nothing, but it doesn’t make it any less freaky

What is this fall that you ladies speak of? All I ever see is green, if it’s not green – it’s dead

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Suja, when are you going in to have it checked?

Called the doctor's office, and they said it could be hormone related, that some women are cystic, it gets prominent during your period, and since I'm just getting done with mine, to check it periodically, see what happens to it over a cycle, and to go from there. So, if it stays the same or larger over the next month, I have to go in, but if it gets smaller then larger again as my cycle approaches, it's safe to wait until my regular gyn appointment in November to have it checked out.

I've heard that before Suja. That they can appear/disappear throughout your cycle.

Suja

Jennifer that sounds like a really nice trip. I am sure the girls will be just fine.

I spent 3 weeks in Vermont to see the autumn colors one year, it was one of my favorite trips ever!! We arrived when everything was still green and by the time we left all the leaves had fallen off. The colors are so incredibly vibrant, everytime we turned a corner we did an audible gasp. New England really is so pretty and quaint-with their village greens and farmer's markets. It was a girl's trip with my sister and my mother, we ate and laughed, so much fun. I miss the fall colors. Now that makes me want to do that trip again with dh and ds.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Suja that makes sense. Basically the same info here http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/brea...t&DSECTION=all

I am a more cystic person and get lumps and bumps all the time. I just keep an eye on them and if anything seemed really weird I would go in and have it checked out.

This is where we are going http://www.mccormickhouseinn.com/

Sometimes we have great fall colors, sometimes not so great depending on the weather. Plus up here at least we have a fairly good number of pine trees. The best fall colors I have ever seen were in Jersey....seemed like everything was orange and red at once.
    I do like living somewhere with drastically different seasons....its nice to have the changes. I don't like the upper 90's we have been having but I know it won't last and before I know it, it will be -10. Course the inbetween is the best. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja, one of my aunts had that cyst type thing and it turned out to be OK. I hope that yours is nothing to worry about.

I miss the Fall colors, too; the trees change a little bit here but it's nothing like Arkansas. The seasons here are cool, not as cool and cold.

Fall in New England is awesome My favorite time of year, most years the colors are incredibly vibrant.
    AKA Lisa724

Jennifer that place looks incredible!!! Have a fun trip!!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Jennifer that place looks incredible!!! Have a fun trip!!
    I agree, it is so beautiful! I love all of the rooms!

Suja, thinking positive for you.

I am cyst prone and have had many cysts in my breast. In between waiting on your appointment, you can put some warm compresses on the lump and see if it shrinks, if it does, it is more than likely a cyst.

The first time I got one though I remember freaking out about it, mostly because I was the same age (28) as my paternal grandmother when she got diagnosed with breast cancer.

Erin

Suja, I really hope it's nothing. Sounds like a lot of people have experienced similar. That's comforting.

I am so worried about Kai going to kindy! I know he'll be find and millions of children before him have gone but he is such a baby boy. Yesterday dbf took them to a movie and when they came home, we were all down by the water. The kids love to throw rocks in the water. What kid doesn't. It's a timeless hobby, is it not? Well, dbf has landscaping rock down there and pitches a fit if the kids throw them in the water. Sawyer is impossible to stop and we can't very well let Sawyer and tell Kai no so I told the kids I was going to get the wagon and we'd walk around to the public land where they can throw rocks to their heart's content. Kai started jumping up and down with excitement and dbf said, "I thought we were fishing, Kai!" and Kai said, with a quivering lip, "I was with you all day daddy. I really need to spend some time with Mommo." Awwww, I teared right up. And yes, he's been calling me Mommo. lol
    Then while we were over there and Savana and Kai were wading around finding treasures (bottlecaps and fishbones basically) with so much enthusiasm, I had a realization. I have off work next week and I have been like a mad woman trying to plan things for us like museum trips, out of town hikes, water parks, etc. We've been stressing over affording it and timing it and all that jazz. It hit me, what am i doing? Book a cabin at a campsite with a beach. That is all they need. I don't know why I overthink what can be so simple sometimes! Cabin is booked!

Awesome!! Have a great time!

I'd love to get away to a cabin. Sounds heavenly.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I used to be a much more roughin it type of camper but with kids it's seriously just not as fun for me (the roughing it part, that is. The cabin is just beds and walls so we'll still be doing all of our cooking on the grill and walking to the toilets and such but it's all about not having to set up and take down the whole camp with 3 children to contend with.

We are going to a birthday party for one of the kids I used to take of in the daycare. He's going to be 4. I started caring for him when he was 10 months old! crazy. His mom is a sahm now as she had her second at the same time I had Sawyer. We had the same due date! I was just thinking in the shower I wonder if she means for me to stay at the party with them. Because I am. lol Hope that's cool! I have no idea how bday parties work. We don't have them nor really go to them.
    Last edited by Bridget; 07-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Yeah, roughin it is definitely more fun with adults only. Or teens that are into that sort of thing. I couldn't do that & have fun with Bobbie because she likes her creature comforts too much. Jesi would be fine in a sleeping bag on the ground. There's a lean-to that's free to use (first come, first serve) out in the forest near where we used to live. I should grab my sleeping bag from Rich & head out there one weekend.

I wouldn't think twice if a parent opted to stay at a party I hosted. Conner has already made it known that he wants his at the bowling alley again. That makes it super easy for me. Hardly any work, no clean up (although I do just 'cause) and the kids always have a ball.

I'm sorta sad that his bday is so early in the school year. He'll hardly have time to establish friends to invite but in another month he'll likely have buddies that get parties with lots of friends.

When I think about the hard work it took my parents to take us kids camping in tents back in the olden days. omg. We had this enormous tent, all our gear, dogs, a pickup truck, and a boat. My parents were good sports about it too. My folks were old school though, back when they were kids, camping and hunting trips was their only form of vacation. My dad was a logger when I was really little and we would spend the entire summers in the back woods of Idaho. Living in tents, and my sister's cat would eat chipmunks. Leaving chipmunk tails around our camp site. My dad found a nest of little triplet chipmunk babies, they were too small to leave behind, so we took them home. My brother named them Alvin, Simon and Theodore (of course) we had them for several weeks until they all escaped one day. One of my earliest memories is playing with my Fisher Price Little People in the creek and my Little People dog floated down stream and my older brother running along to save him. But the little doggie was lost. Next summer I want to take G and dh back there for real camping trips. But I'd prefer a motorhome over a tent ;)
    Last edited by raspberry; 07-27-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I have never been camping. Even booking our trip in Sept I was looking at some cabins and ended up with the high end looking B&B. I could do a cabin if it was a fancy one with air conditioning and stuff. But yeah not so much a nature girl. I much more prefer museums and nicer hotels. I like nature in theory but not so much being in it myself. I would like riding around a boat in a lake though. Not fishing but just motoring about.

Definitely was how you are brought up. My parents aren't campers so we vacationed by road trips....disney world, disney land (vegas on the way), nearby states like Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois. Weekend trips in years we didn't do a big trip to things like museums and state capitals. One year they drove to NYC to watch me play at Carnegie Hall...I traveled with the orchestra but hung out some of the time with my family.

So my idea of a vacation is definitely not anything that involved roughing it....and if I don't have air conditioning, I am roughing it. LOL

Last night when I was making dinner the dogs started growling when looking out the patio door....there was a coyote cutting through the yard and not all that far from my deck! OMG, well at least it wasn't a bear!

Just finished the opening ceremonies. Pretty well done and we enjoyed them. We really like how they weave the history of the hosting country into the ceremony.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Our vacations were all camping! Every summer my parents took 2 weeks off and we road tripped. We had my granparents old pop up camper and extra tents for when my cousins would spend a few night with us. We have so many great stories. I was just telling Savana and Kai yesterday about how my grandma stuffed marshmallows under the tent my cousin and I were sleeping in so that night raccoons were reaching under to get them out! lol. My grandma was a character.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We just got back from camping yesterday. It was beautiful. The twins turned 5 while we were out on the Pacific coast. We did not have a cake or presents or anything, but we had that in Wyoming. We did have s'mores for dessert over the campfire. We camped at a campground. DH had requested some place not hot, not buggy, and not around other people, but like buying a house, we had to compromise, and 2 out of 3 wasn't bad. Last year we had gone on two camping trips -- one to a KOA campground with our local twins club, which was basically like camping in a playground, and another out in the wilderness, far away from any facilities.

This trip was actually really wonderful, and it's amazing what a difference a year can make. They played by themselves a lot. S. actually stayed away from the firepit when we told him to. They bounded through the grass and pretended to be animals or firemen. They played ball with pinecones, or when they found pinecones still on sticks, they pretended they were ice cream cones. There was a perfect climbing tree right next to our tent. We went on long walks down to the coast, through the woods. We saw deer and quail and other birds and lizards. We explored tidepools and saw amazing waves and rock formations. We had to be really careful next to the high rocky cliffs, but the views were beautiful.

The downside was that it was colder than I had predicted. I didn't actually change my clothes during the trip, and just kept adding more and more layers. The "mist" was so heavy the first morning when we woke up that it was falling kind of horizontally. One might actually call it rain. I spent a lot of time feeling cold and wet. That morning I was so cold, and our firewood was so wet, and all the grass everywhere was so wet (and up to our thighs) that we decided to drive to the nearest town to get some hot coffee and some breakfast and wait for the sun to come up a bit. We drove about half an hour down the Pacific Coast Highway and came to a couple of cars stopped in the road and a smooshed car up ahead and a slightly crumpled truck. I stopped and got out to see if I could help, and there was a woman leaned over the steering wheel, hair all over her face. I asked the people standing around if anyone had checked her or done anything for her, and they said no, but that she had been twitching a bit, and it happened 15 minutes ago. I did not think it looked good. One woman lightly said, "This happens all the time around here." There was a little dog bounding around in the passenger seat. Right then fire trucks and paramedics drove up, so I backed off and let the pros step in, and they came over and said she felt cold. They lifted up her head and clotted blood was stringing out of her nose and mouth and she was all waxy-looking. None of the bystanders had any clue that she had died, and they were all just standing around chatting. The vehicles were blocking the whole road, and I knew there was probably going to be some kind of investigation, so I went back and got in the car and turned around. We told whoever we could find that it was going to be a while. I still think about her face, her little dog, and that road. DH looked up the accident after we got back into internet range, and she just went into the wrong lane and hit the truck head-on. No other explanation.

On the drive back, we got stuck behind a couple of really slow-moving RVs. There are signs everywhere saying that slow vehicles should use turn-outs, and there were aggressive cars behind these RVs edging out, crossing the double yellow line over and over again, wanting to pass and making really risky moves because they were so unhappy about being stuck behind slow vehicles. I was thinking the whole time about that accident, and getting unhappy with the RVs for not having the courtesy to use the turn-outs, and for the other cars for being so aggressive. It's a very curvy and narrow road, with no place to pass, but a lot of areas to pull over briefly. I do it myself, since I have to go more slowly since DS gets carsick on curvy roads. DH and I took a long motorcycle trip there once, before kids.

Anyway, aside from the fatality, which thankfully was not ours, and had the one small upside of reminding me to be grateful yet again for everything we have, it was a good trip. I think we would go back there. DH even thanked me for picking out such a great place! I'll include a bunch of pictures since I know most of you don't look at my blog, and besides, I haven't updated my blog yet (you all are first!). We still think camping is a pain, but the upsides are getting so that they are almost making up for all the downsides.

Fantastic pictures!! Looks like a great trip and I'm so glad you had that after your last one.
    So sad about that accident, though. I don't think I'd personally cope well with seeing that.

Your pictures are great! I love camping. I'm glad it's getting better for you.

So sad about the fatality. I'm with Bridget, that would have ruined the whole thing for me. Poor woman. And Poor doggie.

I'm glad you had such a nice camping trip, even though it was cold and wet. Sorry about the accident.

L, your pictures are great and it sounds like a great trip. We were in that area about 2 years and loved it so much. It's definitely on my list to do again. It gives me hope that your kids are better at age 5, I hope next summer camping with G goes just as well.

The accident would have really bothered me too, how sad and tragic.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

L, your camping trip sounds like it was fun! The pictures are awesome! I can't wait to take my boys camping when they are a little bit older. That's what all our vacations were when I was growing up. We'd go to all the places that my dad had camped at; they were places that had really cool names like Pigeon Creek and Twin Bridges...this was in North central Arkansas. I loved eating campfire food and swimming all day and just roaming the woods. The worst part of camping for me was being woken up by birds at like 4 in the morning.

That accident sounds very horrific; I think that would stick with me for a long time, too.

I just posted a picture on FB surrounding the whole chickfila (sp?-I've never heard of that fast food chain!) fiasco and will probably lose quite a few conservative friends, but I posted it because it was so funny (to me!). Oh well!

Watching the olympic swimming. Mmm, the swimmers are hot. Most of them.

ETA: And the gymnasts.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-28-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Watching the olympic swimming. Mmm, the swimmers are hot. Most of them.

ETA: And the gymnasts.
    I watched one of the swimming competitions while ironing yesterday; the one where Phelps came in 4th and the other American guy won gold. I was shouting 'USA, USA!' but no one else was around, so I don't really know why I was shouting that. LOL. I also watched the last bit of men's archery where the USA won silver.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Suja, I hope that lump is nothing. I have fibrocystic breasts myself, and they feel like bags of frozen peas, only not so cold obviously. I've gotten used to which lumps are the normal ones. AF and caffeine tends to make them worse.

Not all of our vacation were camping ones, but we never had hotel vacations. It was either sleeping on someone's couch or floor, or the beach, or in our car, or a tent. I just found out recently, like last week, that my dad would get home from residency training at about 10 pm in El Paso, putter around a bit, read the newspaper, and then without saying a word to mom, start packing the car for a camping trip for the weekend. Then they would load us sleeping kids in the car (I was 10, my sister was 8), drive for a couple of hours, and THEN, in the middle of the night, hike for a couple of hours and set up camp, because mom says dad said "It's ridiculous to set up camp right at the beginning of the trail head."

I remember going on a lot of hikes with my dad that we would call death marches (not to make light of real death marches), but some of them were pretty tough. Even as a little child, I had a pack with my sleeping bag and all my stuff which I would have to loosen while crossing swift rivers because if I lost my footing it would prevent me from regaining the surface. He wouldn't let me rest because if I sat down I wouldn't want to get up again. But I really had no idea that he made us go hiking for hours in the middle of the night. I told my mom that I didn't remember that bit at all, and if my husband wanted to do that kind of thing on weekends, we probably wouldn't be having much family time together. I wondered if my dad was on something, but my mom reminded me that my dad seems to need very little sleep and pointed out that often I wake up in the middle of the night and do stuff, too.

Perhaps this is why my sister gets a rash in the outdoors, now.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I watched one of the swimming competitions while ironing yesterday; the one where Phelps came in 4th and the other American guy won gold. I was shouting 'USA, USA!' but no one else was around, so I don't really know why I was shouting that. LOL. I also watched the last bit of men's archery where the USA won silver.
    I watched that in the middle of the night too. Why did I want Phelps to win? I was aware of who he was and that he had won a gold medal or 2 (ha!) previously, but I didn't know much more than that. Once they started talking about him, I just wanted him to win again. Dunno why. Since he didn't, I've lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Perhaps this is why my sister gets a rash in the outdoors, now.
    Ah, yeah. Wow. At first I thought it was kinda fun, the idea of Dad waking you up to go on an adventure. But the 'death marches' and not letting you rest because you wouldn't have wanted to get back up?! Wowzer.