Page 1121 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 12162110211071111111191120112111221123113111711221 ... LastLast
Results 33,601 to 33,630 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh Christina.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Christina

So I asked DH if he was willing to use cloth diapers and he said sure why not. Shocker I thought he would say no but the cheaper thing gets to him and the better for the environment (we drive his mom nuts as we will not use paper plates and such).
    But oh my where to start? Has to be something easy enough for DH to use.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Christina I am so sorry.

Jennifer, that is great that your dh is willing to give them a try, that is your first hurdle!! For us the Bum Genius worked great, they are easy to use. When I used the BG's they were velcro, and it was okay but towards the end of use it was harder to get them to stay closed. But now I see that they use snap closure, which I think is so much better. It *can* be tricky finding the right diaper for your baby. It may take trying out different brands to find the right one for your baby. The CD diaper forum has a lot of useful info.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Christina

So I asked DH if he was willing to use cloth diapers and he said sure why not. Shocker I thought he would say no but the cheaper thing gets to him and the better for the environment (we drive his mom nuts as we will not use paper plates and such).
    The CD forum does have a lot of good info, but it can be overwhelming...Prefolds and covers are the most economical option, and with many types of covers, you can reuse through several wet diapers before needing to wash. IMO, the one downside to prefolds/covers is the against-the-skin wetness. You can use fleece liners, but I think that's kind of a pain. I just change prefolds very frequently, and I use a double-stuffed pocket diaper (most have a stay-dry lining) for overnight. My baby doesn't poo at night, and I'm able to get away with not changing her after bedtime this way. When she was a tiny little squish, I was just doing the prefolds and covers and I changed her at night with every feed (every 2 hours). That got old FAST! None of the diapers are difficult to use. You don't need to pin prefolds, or use one of those snappi thingies. Just fold it into thirds and lay it in the cover. Then put the diaper around the baby and fasten the velcro or snaps. It does not take a genius. I really worried about how much time and trouble it was going to be to CD, and I almost didn't do it. I'm so glad I did. It's easy. The diaper laundry is easy enough that my DH does it, on his own initiative. And disposable diapers create so much trash, you wouldn't believe it. It literally made me sick to see how much it was. I felt really guilty. And I don't consider myself a hardcore environmental type, either.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Christina

Yay I highly suggest having a variety of cloth diapers. You'll be amazed at how different people/babies/or even baby stages will change as to what fits/works best. A great starter diaper would be Bumgenius and Fuzzibunz both are really user friendly

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Um yeah so I have been looking at bumgenius, fuzzibunz, thirsties...the pocket ones, and swaddlebees. Definitely leaning pocket/aio type. And really only want to buy 1-2 sizes.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hooray for CD-ing, Jennifer! The CD forum has a super-useful "getting started" thread stickied to it. I also found Diaperswappers.com to be invaluable for information and support around CD-ing, plus it's a whole other community of women... and drama if you're in the mood for it. As a matter of fact, there are some really cool secular women on there that I've been tempted to recruit to our little enclave over here. Anyway, we settled on the Fuzzibunz pockets with snaps as our go-to product and used bamboo inserts. The BumGenius All-in-ones with the hook/eye closures were great but took forever to dry and the tab closures started to wear off. Anyway, one economical option is to buy used diapers from Diaperswappers.

You will want a diaper sprayer to attach to your toilet. $25... very easy to install, and I have no idea how one would get poop off a diaper without one. DH said something about his parents once swishing poopy diapers in a pail, but I found that hard to believe. ;)

The one thing about sizes, though, if your adopted baby comes to you as a newborn... it is crazy how teeny tiny small they are. The diaper covers practically fit in the palm of your hand. You will need ones that fit snugly, or you will make rookie mistakes like me and end up with brown stuff all over your lap. We thought it'd be enough to have "Smalls", but for the first 2-3 months, we ended up buying a whole new set of XS covers (MotherEase Rikki Wraps were great) and newborn sized Indian unbleached prefolds, which we tri-folded just like Dana described.

My parents (er, my Mom) used a pail for cloth diapers Myles. I actually remember it for my brother. Ick! My small town actually had a diaper service, but my parents couldn't afford it. Now there's no such thing. Maybe I should open one.

I can answer any questions you have too, Jennifer. I've used every kind. For ease I'd go with a really good quality AIO. They take longer to dry is the big downsize. Pockets are faster. I don't like synthetic material as it tends to hold onto build up more (of urine and detergent).
    I never had a diaper sprayer. I swish it around in the toilet. It pretty much rolls right out most of the time.

I'm not quite so concerned about newborn sizes. most of the time baby doesn't come home with us until at least 3 weeks old, might be more like 5 weeks old. There are a few exceptions where they come home sooner but really I expect 3-5 weeks old. If need be, I can use disposables for that short time until they get a tiny bit bigger. Especially if baby is bigger, if baby is an itty bitty, I might consider buying some tiny sized cloth ones.
    I'm not really that concerned about the money aspect, I don't want to spend a fortune but I will spend for something good quality that I really like. And I'm kind of iffy on buying used things (not totally against it but I'm not a thrift sale/resale kind of shopper usually).

not overly concerned about drying times I don't think. I actually already hang dry almost everything....usually only socks, underwear, towels and sheets go in the dryer. All my clothes and pjs and all of Dh's clothes and pj's are hang dried and they seem to dry pretty quickly.

Of course I looked at the forum here but that just lead me window shopping all day and reading reviews....and even less sure which brands to try. LOL

I will definitely get a sprayer. It seems like almost all assume that CD=BFing and talk about how you can stick those right in the wash. Except I'm definitely going with formula. and my toilets are new energy efficient ones so they don't have a huge bowl of water like the olds. I can't see swishing in those.

And than there are wipes.....I don't really like the ones you trash anyway.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, I think if you cloth diaper it only makes sense to cloth wipe too.

They have those g-diaper(?) where you have an outer shell and you pop in the liner. Supposed to be a pretty simple system though I have never tried it.

Hmm think that I came across something like that but thought that it sounded messier than aio or pockets.

There is a CD store in the city just about 20-25 minutes west of me. I will probably check them out so I can see some in person. i think DH would agree to go some Saturday.

So I know Shelley loves the bumgenuis... which brand is everyone's absolute favorite in regards to aio's or pockets?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

g-diapers were a tremendous waste of money for us. We never figured out how 1) they fit
    2) they were flushable (those inserts were HUGE) and 3) any easier than other CDs. Maybe it was my mommy brain, but DH coukdn't fig em out either.

For wipes, we got an electric wipe warmer, cut up scraps of terry cloth, stuffed them in, and poured a solution of water, vinegar, Dr Bronners, tea tree oil and lavender oil. I can share the recipe if you are interested, Jennifer.

I've got nothing to contribute to this. We use disposables. I figure I'm hanging on to my sanity by a thread, and having to do another load of laundry just might push me over the edge.

Got a question for you, Myles. How did you get B to take his Calm Restore? It tastes awful! I'm not sure I can get away with sticking it in Mira's milk (maybe start with a drop and work up to more?).

Christina, I don't know what to say. Hope you find some peace of mind soon.

I am not a huge AIO fan, they really do take a LONG time to dry. The sized BG AIO's were my fav out of all of them though.

For pockets I really love the FB Elite. I really wish I had discovered them sooner. They have adjustable elastic and fit considerably smaller than most one size diapers.

As far as the formula goes, all that means is you'll have to spray sooner than someone who is BF.

Oh and I always recommend having a decent sized NB stash. Even if you don't use them for very long they re-sale VERY well and the one size take forever to fit just right (or at least they did for us since Nolan was SO itty bitty!)

ETA: Love me some Flannel/OBV wipes! If you can make your own it is really cheap, I can't but most of you ladies are more crafty than me I usually use Punkin Booty Wipe bits, but if I run out I make my own out of baby wash/baby oil/water/TTO and it works just fine. I also keep mine in a wipe warmer.
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 07-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks for the thoughts ladies

I have heard that you shouldn't mix tea tree and lavender as it can mimic estrogen. Is that the strangest thing ever or what? Mil sent me an article about it a few years back after she'd been here and I'd been using the mix for almost everything, cleaning, laundry, wipe solution. I did some more searches on it and did find that they have linked breast tissue enlargement in young boys to the mix of those 2 pure oils. That totally freaked me out!

is it crazy but all this talk of cloth diapering has given me baby fever.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Yikes! I never heard that, Bridget!!! Maybe that's why Bodhi has such a lovely falsetto. Thanks for sharing for sure. I'll look into it and not do it again just in case.

Suja, I wish I had a trick to tell you about the Calm Restore, but B likes the taste of it. Weird, huh? Perhaps you could mix it in yogurt, applesauce, or a smoothie? Or even just mix it with water and call it juice? It looks pruny to me, so if Mira likes stewed prunes that's prob'ly the best way to conceal it. Hope you find a way to make it work for you!

Myles, I wish it were that easy! She doesn't eat applesauce, has stopped eating all yogurt except plain (probably because that was how I got meds into her), and while she will drink small quantities of milkshake (not smoothies), it would have to be chocolate. Because she eats little, milk/formula (no idea how she drinks that;disgusting!) is a major source of calories for her, so I'm a little scared to mess with it. I'll try a drop at a time and go from there. This is the same kid who refused to drink her milk when I mixed in half an ounce of juice into 7.5 oz. of milk, so we shall see.

Never knew so many of us CD!

I just used prefolds and covers with Elle. They were cheap and easy. I just used a fleece insert against her skin sometimes, other times, I just changed her frequently and didn't use an insert. Especially after she got older as she didn't pee as much. I did use a Snappi with her to fasten them, but they were relatively easy. Sometimes I did get disposables, like on trips or if I just wanted a change for a week or so. I didn't start off with CDing though, not until she was around 6-8 weeks old. She was very little bitty as a newborn and I only had small sizes and no NB .

Also, Jen, is it normal to not get a baby for 3-5 weeks. A friend of mine just adopted a baby girl and she went the day the girl was born and brought her home two days later. We are all so happy about it. I haven't gone to see the baby yet because the mom is one of my good friends and Ky is best friends with one of her sons and he didn't want us to go see the new baby without him so we will be going this Friday hopefully. She has 3 sons and adopted a daughter because she always wanted a girl and I am so happy for her and her guys.

Erin

I never looked in to cloth diapering either of my boys; all this talk of diapers makes me look forward to when Cash is potty trained (and not giving me baby fever like Shelley!)

And just to change the subject since I have nothing to contribute to the cloth diapering discussion, I bought some red lipstick today! LOL. We are going to the races on Friday and I thought, 'what the hey, I'm gonna wear red lipstick to the races.' Eek!

I'm going to try to copy this style of hair and makeup:

I don't wear a whole lot of makeup usually but do always put my mascara on since my eyelashes are blonde and would be transparent without mascara. Do you ladies like to wear makeup when you're going out on nights out?

Always mascara. That's about it. Sometimes a bit of tinted chapstick.

I'm a late bloomer when it comes to makeup; I didn't start wearing it til I was in my 20's. I just could never figure out how to apply it!

I wore it as a teen/early 20's. Now I'm down to just eyeshadow. I'm super lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Also, Jen, is it normal to not get a baby for 3-5 weeks. A friend of mine just adopted a baby girl and she went the day the girl was born and brought her home two days later.
    There is a chance it could happen but only if we are placed with a safe haven baby. Otherwise in WI, parental rights cannot be terminated until 3-5 weeks. First they have to have the baby, than request a court date and depending on which county, it can take 3-5 weeks. At that point TPR is signed and we bring baby home. Six months after that we get to finalize and get a new birth certificate with our names on it as well as an SSI number for our baby.

During those 3-5 first weeks, baby is going to be in bridge care (which we will pay for). The agency has special homes where the families do just this. It's a neutral place where we can visit but so can birth family. Legally birth family can bring baby home but very few do. And if we brought baby home, it's a legal risk placement as birth family can change their mind. The agency highly recommends the bridge care vs us doing a legal risk. And I agree....I do not want to bring a baby home and have the chance that they might change their minds.
    In other states TPR can be signed before birth I think....or some right after birth. But even though WI isn't quite as adoption friendly, it's still a bit easier than crossing state lines and dealing with the laws of both states.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I wear makeup do rarely, most of what I have is probly expired. My friend works for Bare Essentials at the corp office, so she keeps gifting me with powders and brushes, and I just pass them onto my mom. There was a time I resolved to wake every day and put on makeup, jewelry and get dressed up, and - don't laugh - it was inspired by watching The Golden Girls, who were always so done up at breakfast. I swear, those women shaped my young mind! Anyway, that didn't last. I'd prob'ly have succeeded better if I resolved to put on a silver wig every morning.

Jennifer, maybe last thing to think about with CDs is where to store the dirties until you wash them. We stored them in a 13-gallon trash can on the back porch. The can was lined with a mesh laundry bag, and the bag dangled over a pan of silica kitty litter. There are lots of other ways to store them, but that worked for us.

Suja, how about drops of it on banana slices with honey? Sorry that's so rough to work out!

Myles I would definitely like the wipe receipe. Except I would probably skip the lavender as I'm not a fan of that smell. Actually I am super picky when it comes to smells (OMG I drove DH nuts looking for a shampoo for the girls...had to go to two stores because some of them are just awful). I do not do perfumes or candles and rarely change up soaps or hair products.
    I do get how to do cloth wipes at home....but what about when out in public?

Oh and I think that I am leaning pockets. I showed DH some this morning and he agreed that they are cute. He also agreed to go to the store with me Saturday. He cannot believe that there is an actual store. LOL
    I just need to make sure to go with something easy as DH will be home with baby days and will be changing diapers...something he had never done before.

I have noticed I have been doing this lately...living life as normal and than suddenly obsessed about something baby related. First it was the nursery...which I will probably start doing later this year once I buy the crib and I'm trying to get it for free with credit card rewards....I'm more than half way there.
    Now it's the diapers...since the nursery is sort of on hold for a few more months.

As far as makeup, I think that I wore a bit for my wedding 9 years ago. And I wore a little I think when I interviewed for my job almost 6 years ago. But cannot think of any since. Just a clear lip gloss, mostly at night before bed. DH really doesn't like makeup so once I got with him, I was like why bother. He is only really attracted to the very natural look anyway.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

SCUBJIA!

Lydia: you're welcome! Your post inspired me to go back into the archives and listen to some oldies that I haven't heard before, so yay!

Christina - I'm sorry that your mom is acting like a 12 year old selfish teenager. I hope she stops that soon.

Erin - I'm sorry about Mr. Hyde, but glad he got one more really good adventure in.

We used a diaper service, so it was cloth diapers with snappies and covers. Easy as pie, and the best thing was to leave the bag of diapers sitting on the front porch on Friday morning and having a clean bag magically appear there later in the day. Until the day that I left the diapers there and by Saturday they still hadn't transformed into clean and folded diapers and I called and the company had gone bankrupt and the message said to keep whatever diapers we had. blergh. I have at least 100 diapers that we use for a lot of other things - glad now that we got to keep them, but wishing they had told me before I left a bag of them outside cooking in the heat for two days.

I wear makeup about half the time, and always when I go out. It just makes me feel like I am different that Mom Katy of everyday life. I like makeup a lot, all the potions and lotions, powders and brushes and colors and creams. Fun.

Chrissy - sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I'm glad.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'll be honest, when we go out and about I use disposable wipes most of the time (I know, bad CDing mommy ) I always send disposable wipes to the sitters. I don't like cloth wipes outside of the wipe warmer, they get a funk especially when it is hot, really quickly.

For pockets I love Happy Heiny, Bumgenius, Fuzzibunz, and my cheap-o Sunbabys that I send for the sitter.

I have baby fever bad anyway, but it looks like we'll be putting TTC on hold Just too much going on and I don't know if I can add the stress of being pg right now. I want to enjoy my pg, not spend teh whole time stressing about this or that. It still sucks though

I like make-up. I feel better, more awake, when I put some on in the mornings. Unless I am rushed for time when we are going somewhere, I always throw some on. Some days it's just mascara other days it is eyeshadow and mascara. I don't really wear foundation that often since I don't like the way it feels. I only wear it if I know there are going to be camera's out and ready