Page 1110 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 11061010101060110011081109111011111112112011601210 ... LastLast
Results 33,271 to 33,300 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

Feel better Katy.

I'm kinda feeling blah myself today.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Nero and Gwennie have never had fleas or ticks, so we don't use anything. They aren't as common here. DH used to have a little chihuahua once when he was living in a really low-rent apartment complex, and she got fleas once. We gave her a bath with something from the grocery store and they went away and never came back. So I guess I'm not much help in this area.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm around, Myles. Reading more than posting. Just been really busy. Plus, Mira is really missing her dad, and being extra clingy/whiny, driving me insane. I think that all the people going in and out of her life (nanny, two teachers, now daddy) is finally catching up with her. My brother is visiting today and with Jack around, she's happy again. I'm planning a picnic and water play tomorrow, and probably go to the park for some carousel/train ride type of activity on Sunday.

I personally would not use OTC drops, especially stuff by Hartz. They can have bad neurological effects, and I personally know dogs that have died from it (http://www.hartzvictims.org/). I've heard wonderful things about Capstar, so that's always an option. I've used an at-home bug repellent that seems to work somewhat - Boil water, turn off, and put in a bunch of rosemary, and very thinly sliced lemons. Let steep overnight. Put in a spray bottle and leave in the refrigerator.

Actually the main ingredient in Hartz is the same as Frontline, except Frontline has a higher potency. Both can cause sickness or death if ingested.

I have known people who had pets die of flea treatments too though. Most of the time it was because people didn't read the instructions and used a dog flea treatment for a cat or vice versa. Cats and dogs can't use the same sorts of products.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Actually the main ingredient in Hartz is the same as Frontline, except Frontline has a higher potency. Both can cause sickness or death if ingested.
    Actually, it's not. The primary ingredient in Frontline is Fipronil. In Hartz flea and tick drops, it's Phenothrin. Frontline Plus has S-Methoprene as well, which is also in Hartz. We only use Frontline, since we don't have a flea problem. Not that it's terribly effective against ticks.

I did that by mistake once. Poor Cally had seizures and everything from it. Another expensive trip to Cornell vet, and that was before I worked there! She's worth it though. Talk about feeling awful.

When I went to pick her up they had a big red X on her cage to signify when wasn't nice. They offered me gloves and towels to use to get her out. I looked at them like they were nuts and opened her cage. She came right to me and cuddled into my neck and chest. Everyone awwwed then laughed. She knew her mommy.

She's like that though. Only likes a select few people.

My Cosi was like that, too. The vet's office lived in fear of her. WHen the clinic hired a new doctor, we could see her eyes widen as she looked through Cosi's file. DH told them we were okay with giving her meds at home and they said, "That's very brave of you." She was the sweetest cat, and friendly with visitors at home, too. Just don't take her to the vet's office.

I still miss my kitty horribly.

Aw Mandy.

I love Callie something fierce, but I don't want another cat ever. Their fur gets all over and I've probably mentioned I've been the only one to clean her litter box up until last year when I finally said I'd had enough of being the only one. She's 17. I'm done with litter boxes!

I really want another cat, but I'm holding off because we never found a good place to put the litter box in this house. In our old rental, I put it in the utility room next to the washing machine. It was out of the way, and we were able to gate it off so the dogs couldn't get to it. She could jump right over the gate when she needed to use it. This house doesn't have a utility room; we have our washer and dryer in the hallway by the back door (kind of hard to explain, there is a broom closet and the water heater, an open passage to the kitchen, a door to the back bathroom, a door to the family room, and the side entrance to the house. This space is only about 6'x9' with all that stuff crammed in there, so there isn't a millimeter of unused space. We ended up putting it in the bathroom next to the toilet, which I hated because she would get litter on the floor and I'd walk over it barefoot. You had to make sure it was clean before showering or it would stick to your feet. Which, of course, made me crazy about toxoplasmosis. So, I'm not sure I'm ready to take the leap and get another cat, much as I want one.

We did that gate trick too at the larger house we just moved out of.It helped keep Conner out of it too. Not that he ever tried to play in it, but it was one less thing to worry about.

We have space issues now too. Or, Rich does. The box is between the living room & dining room. Definitely not the ideal spot, but like you we had no other choices. The dining room is used as the main computer room (read Conner's computer room, since everyone else has laptops!), and Conner's playroom. So it's not as big a deal as it would be if we actually ate in there.

It's hard to not refer to that place as if I'm still living there. My next big deal in life is conveying to rich I'm not coming back. Visiting every day foe 3-4 hours and going with him to see Ted isn't really doing that. I suc

Apologies for the weird words. I'm on my phone in the bedroom. It's quarter to 2 and I can't sleep.

Aww, i hope you can get some sleep. I think it's going to be a long-term process, convincing rich you have really left. But I wouldn't want for you to spend less time with your kids, either. It's tough.

That it is. They're not down here as much as I thought they'd be. I'm not sure if I should push for a consistent visitation schedule, or continue playing it by ear and seeing how it develops naturally. I really dont want to force them but I can't spend every day there either. I'm afraid it's giving Rich the wrong impression.

Sleep well, Chrissy.

Feel better, Katy.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-07-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: tmi

I don't have a cat....but still have a litter box! It's great when you have a puppy. And now that she's older and also goes outside, it's still nice to have and they can go potty when they want. Very different from cat litter though. We had it in the hallway at one place, in the kitchen at another place (but tucked away in a corner behind the microwave cart....and unlike cat litter, poos need to be picked up right away like if you were walking outside). Here we have the best spot, the laundry room. We have a custom built table over it that is a bit higher and we have leashes and brushes in the drawer and a treat jar on top. When we have a baby, we can close the door....laundry room has a pocket door that is mostly open now....and the girls will just have to learn to ask when baby is up. Already Cosmo will ask to go outside most of the time anyway.
    DH changes the litter....I pick up sometimes but he does it more. I did agree that if we are both home, I would change more baby diapers in return.

Chrissy

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hope you got some sleep, Chrissy.

Our cats' litter box in the bathroom and I hate it. Apple is a good, clean kitty but Pawprint is a nasty little puss. She gets poop on her paws and tracks litter everywhere. I would be happy to have no pets. Well, I think lizards would be fun.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We have our litter box in a closet that is kept closed, with a cat door installed in it, and still kitty litter gets tracked out of it. S. finds it and picks up each little piece and chews on it (blech! ugh!) and we are all disgusted by it. He acknowledges that it is not food and that it is yucky, and still persists. We keep that room blocked off a lot of the time. I was really upset the other morning because S. woke up and dh just got him out of the crib and let him out of the bedroom, saying "Go to Mommy." I didn't know. I found him a few minutes later when I was putting laundry away, by the cat litter closet, quiet as could be, with cat litter around his mouth. I stormed into the bedroom and asked dh if he thought that was a good idea to just let him out, unsupervised, without telling me. We use the silica litter so it's not like it's really dangerous, but it's just so yucky.

Blech. I'd be upset too.

Callie has always been a super clean cat, but still litter gets tracked everywhere. My favorite litter box was the self-cleaning one, but we had another cat that had intestinal problems and suffered from diarrhea a lot and one time the teeth got hung up in it and the motor burned out trying to sweep it up. Icky-poo-ka-ka.

We have the most bizarre conversations. I did finally get some sleep.

So y'all don't think it's dangerous to the child's health to ingest (in whatever small form) kitty litter and possibly poop? Because I freak out when I find Sawyer near the litter box. I mean, not outloud but in my head I'm always wondering if I'll be taking him to the ER a week down the road with some bizzare bacterial infection in his tummy. And when he was crawling I was especially worried about Pawprint leaving her poopy tracks all over the house. (At least she fits her name)

I think it's dangerous. Any time feces is near anyone's mouth, much less a child's, there's a health risk. Blech. Besides that, it just plain gross!

I have the most unexciting new ever and that is that I cleaned my refridgerator and it is sparkly shiny clean. I pulled everything out and scrubbed the hell out of it. It was bubbly in there. Everytime I open it I feel very happy about how clean it is.

Erin, you use a bleach solution to clean, so do you make your own? What sort of spray bottle do you use? It is like the bleach erodes the spray mechanism? Or maybe I am making my solution too strong? I have found the best luck with buying store bought bleach sprays, using them up, and then re-using the bottle. It lasts longer but not forever. I'd rather not buy the store bought.

B, you don't need to explain why a crystal clean fridge is noteworthy. I also love a freshly scrubbed one. Truth be told, I probably open the door just to look inside at how clean it is.

My new bank account shut down my ATM card on me and it's a community bank, so I can't find out why till Monday. This is not the same bank that I was overdrafted with either. I just opened it to have a small portion of my paycheck deposited into for gas, groceries, etc. It's easier for me to keep my living expenses money separate from my bill money. Or, at least I eat if I go crazy and overdraft when paying bills.

I'm screwed. I had to ask Rich to pay my mom for daycare until I can get access to my money. I have no gas at all, but I don't really need to go anywhere and my bus stop is in walking distance. And I do have food. Just none that I like. Well, none that I'm hungry for. I was starving for Asian chicken rolls and was gonna make some. Rich did offer to loan me some extra money but I declined. I can't really depend on him. I did invite him to help install my AC unit though. Because I suck and couldn't get a storm window to move by myself and I was afraid if I tapped it lightly with a hammer, I'd break it.

I would worry about getting a parasite from the feces, definitely.

I use this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754401 It's non-toxic and the pellets are paper based. So while I would be grossed out, I wouldn't totally freak out either if baby ate some. Poo gets picked up and I scoop around so usually end up with the litter attached to it. I would be more concerned about the pee spots. The dogs tend to go in the exact same spot of the box and the litter absorbs it and than disintegrates. When it gets bad and as soon as you can smell it...DH scoops that stuff out and refills. Usually twice a week he does it. Much more when the puppy was going all the time, less often now that they are both going outside so much.

I feel like there is much more danger in the dirt/sand in the back yard. At least I know that the girls are both on meds and get checked yearly for things like worms and that isn't a problem. Molly did have coccidia when she came home but we cleared that up quickly and I think that so many things are an issue to animals but not people.
    I would be more worried about e. coli or something like that.

Course I am one that is ok with my dogs giving kisses.....and know nothing about cats and their issues. Except that pg ladies shouldn't change the litter box.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

There was a big news article about toxoplasmosis, which is the disease everyone worries about pregnant women getting from changing litterboxes, leading to schizophrenia in adults. Previously they only thought it was a risk to pregnancy but turns out it's a bigger deal than they realized.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0311085151.htm

Do any of you have any recommendations for a decently priced, quality dog food? Missy is allergic to something and while she does well with the vet's dog food, it's $15 for 4 lbs. I was hoping to get something a little less expensive that won't make her skin turn red & itchy on her. Poor girl is chewing her feet and whining, and her back is all red. She loves the stuff I bought at Walmart, but it doesn't love her. I looked at the ingredients to make sure it wasn't primarily corn meal, but that didn't do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    There was a big news article about toxoplasmosis, which is the disease everyone worries about pregnant women getting from changing litterboxes, leading to schizophrenia in adults. Previously they only thought it was a risk to pregnancy but turns out it's a bigger deal than they realized.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0311085151.htm
    Wow. I usually stay up on my crazy news, but I hadn't heard about this.

eta: and my mother first showed signs of her bipolar disorder when she was pregnant with my brother. I wonder how soon after infection something like that could develop? I'm not saying that I believe that that's what caused it, but there's a possibility. Or that it happened when she was pregnant with me. They say knowing is 1/2 the battle...
    Last edited by missychrissy; 07-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Chrissy, look into any of the grain free foods. Evo, orijen, Blue Wilderness, barking at the moon, etc. None will be cheap, but they will be less expensive than the vet stuff.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

Can't help you. We went from a mid-priced, mid-range quality food to a high-quality, more expensive food.

This is what we buy and it's about $40-$50 for 24 lbs. So ridiculously expensive. Although, per pound that is cheaper than what you are paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Chrissy, look into any of the grain free foods. Evo, orijen, Blue Wilderness, barking at the moon, etc. None will be cheap, but they will be less expensive than the vet stuff.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Can't help you. We went from a mid-priced, mid-range quality food to a high-quality, more expensive food.

This is what we buy and it's about $40-$50 for 24 lbs. So ridiculously expensive. Although, per pound that is cheaper than what you are paying.
    Thanks. I'll see if any of these work out for her. I may need to take her in for a cortisone shot. She didn't sleep well last night at all. Neither did I, but I can't blame that on her.