Page 1109 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 10960910091059109911071108110911101111111911591209 ... LastLast
Results 33,241 to 33,270 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

L, yesterday you had a great picture of C and today another beautiful picture!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Thank you! Sometimes she is just so beautiful to me she makes my heart ache. She is also a better subject when I take pictures because she doesn't make faces for the camera like R. does.

I love how I was able to capture some of the sheer excitement they had for the 4th of July yesterday, and I'm glad that we were able to make it work and get them to watch the fireworks. DH and I were talking about how difficult the day was yesterday (lying in bed at *gasp* midnight last night), but how much the children loved it, and wondering if that was true in general for a lot of childhood memories and excitement. For us, some of the best moments are when we are having pleasant and quiet and enjoyable times together, on walks or at home, feeling comfortable and surrounded by love and everyone is happy and playing well together and one of the kids just comes over and says "I love you" or holds hands or snuggles in close.

For the children, their best times are the completely novel and exciting experiences, with fireworks and large parties and huge crowds and rides and loud music and adrenaline, when it's all we adults can do to manage to keep them fed and found and from freaking out. That's what they love, and that's what we tolerate, because they love it so.

For those who have been missing my quick picture changes, here is a quick gallery of my 4th of July pictures to date:

Gorgeous pictures, L. Absolutely beautiful.

All daycare kids fed and sent home. Not to have my children take a rest time or go to the library for ice cream making? That is the question. It's hotter than the ****ens.

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    Dude, biggest pet peeve. All the times dbf's mom has held Seren (not many since we don't see her often) Seren cries! And most times I hold my arms out and she brings her to me, but this ONE time (Remy's birthday party) Seren started to cry and she WALKED AWAY FROM ME. I was like omfg...bring me my baby... I was getting anxious hearing her cry, but kinda... "let it be" and see if she calmed down for her. No dice. Finally, after about 5-10 minutes she brings her back and she is hysterical at that point. It took a good 10 minutes to get her calmed down. I HATE that. But what's kinda sad, last night dbf's mom wanted to hold her again, and I said "No, just sit on the floor and let her come to you on her own terms... she doesn't like being handed off" and dbf goes "I just think she doesn't like you mom" I was like "Come on, REALLY? No, she just wants to go to people on her own terms!" and go figure, later on we were sitting on the floor and she crawled up to her! Wow! Amazing revelation! That a baby wants to get to "know" you before just suddenly being handed off!
    That was sweet of you to come to your mil's defense like that, because I could see myself being a little miffed about how she'd handled things earlier and kinda being a little "haha" at her. Not literally, but inside. I'm glad Remy went to her on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    C. woke up this morning and said, "Mom, I learned a new F word--Fireworks!"

Both of the twins told me it was the best day ever. R. told me "I'll remember this forever!" They all loved the fireworks. Even before then, at the parade, they were ecstatic. They were non-stop bouncing all day.
    That's just awesome! And I think you're right, for kids those special moments are the ones where they're doing/seeing something extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    L, that is so cute about the fireworks. Travis still talks about his first ever Guy Fawkes night where we watched fireworks and had chicken korma.

Chrissy, you know what I meant! It's a big change for me to have in-real-life friends! Y'all will always be my closest homies!
    Actually, I didn't mean it like that and was totally sincere that I was glad you found a niche of friends that you like, but when I re-read my post I saw how you got that! Sorry. I am so egotistical I just assume we're all bffs and didn't doubt that you liked us for a second.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

So glad your kids enjoyed the fireworks L! And I agree, wonderful pictures! C is just a beauty too and I love the parade one, she looks sooooo excited.

I am bad and didn't take Elle to see fireworks this year. They take place only about 1.5 miles from our house but I just didn't want to deal with the traffic and heat, it was over 100 again yesterday and over 90 last night. We watched them on TV and heard all the booming from the house and Elle loved watching them on TV. We also watched the DC fireworks on PBS and she loved all of those and I felt bad for not taking her to see the real thing. We are going to a baseball game though next Friday night, my dad is bringing Ky home and we all are going to go to the Braves game since I have a lot of discounted tickets. They have fireworks after every Friday home game so I figure I will make up for Elle missing the 4th fireworks at that time. She loves baseball games too.

On another note, I had to take off today and Friday from work due to Elle's daycare closing for this week. So I figured I just save some computer work for home but low and behold our IT department has changed from using Citrix to RDS and they didn't give us any sort of information on how to use RDS except that we use our Citrix domain and user/password combo. That's not working because it asks for what computer's desktop I want to log into and I honestly do not know my computer name at work, which is what I think it wants, plus I contacted IT and they said they didn't think they had installed VPN on my computer yet, and RDS won't work without VPN being installed, so now I cannot work at home. I need to get some month/year end (fiscal year ended on 6/30) reports done by tomorrow and I am pretty upset about it as I may have to take Elle to the office tomorrow in order to get some of the reports done that are needed before Monday.

Erin

Installing vpn is quite simple. They should be able to give you the information to install and log in with it from home. As for RDS, your account needs to be in the remote users group or else you won't be able to remote in. You also need your computer's machine name or IP to connect to it, but your IT person should be able to give you that information.

Are you using your own computer from home, or a work one?

I am using my own computer. I figured it would be something simple, but our IT department are pretty non-chalant. There was a big lay off a few months ago as they outsourced most of our IT duties to RealPage (whom I don't like as they are not very responsive) in TX. Our IT is headquarted in Chicago and the guy I usually called direct, who was always quick about helping me out was let go in the lay off, which was messed up IMO as he was the best IT guy and had even been with the company for over 20 years but they said most of the stuff he dealed with was being outsourced so they let him go.

RealPage probably won't call me back to install VPN until tomorrow as I already contacted them and I figured since I don't know my IP address or computer name by memory, I'll just go into the office tomorrow and get it and then come back home. I might go tonight since I have building access after hours so I won't be barraged by "Erin can you do...." over and over by my co-workers, one especially who doesn't like to do anything herself, like mail her own letters or fill out forms for her department (that I don't have anything to do with). So I may go in under the cover of night and retrieve the illusive IP address in order to remain undercover (I am being silly here lol!). DH is going to give me a stick/manual transmission driving lesson tonight. He bought a Civic recently, a 95 and it is a stick and since I don't know how to drive stick and he is going out of town this weekend, he wants to teach me, and is confident I can learn in a day (me not so confident as he isn't great at explaining things and is quick to get upset so I foresee an argument on the horizon this evening) since my van is not driveable since it was vandalized.

Oh, and they said my van was about $300 from a total loss. I am relieved because I so don't feel like buying a new van. It does start up, but the ignition switch is really messed up so I have to keep one of those claw things on it so someone doesn't drive off with it. The tire is also really messed up. I think I'll have DH take off the one that was busted and we can drive it over to the tire shop this evening to see if they can repair it since I have a one year guarantee on my tires and I only bought them at the end of April. So it looks like I will get to pocket some money out of this, which is good as I'm sure I can find someone to fix it for less than the check they are sending.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 07-05-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Ugh. What a hassle, Erin. Chrissy's right that it's a simple enough matter. I guess it all depends on the efficiency of your IT department. When I need help with something as simple as finding out the name of a network printer, it can take me 1 full day for them to turnaround my request. I am really unhappy with the help I've gotten so far. They're like the cable company, where they tell you they'll be by to follow up with you any time from 10am-4pm, and they pay no heed to the fact that I have meetings scattered throughout the day. If they come and I'm unavailable, it's a nightmare to get them to come back. Plus, there are 7 different teams that I might need to contact depending on which group administers the area I need help with. The teams have no idea how another team can help you, and so they're quick to say "not my job", but just shrug when you say "who shall I ask then?". I hope you can get some stuff done today, Erin!

L, I enjoyed reading your observations about what the kids will remember vs. what the parents will remember. I think they're spot on. It's funny that what's memorable and what's satisfying are contrastingly different for kids & grown-ups. While kids'll remember the excitement, they are content with so much less, aren't they? Give Bodhi a new toy, and he'll play with the box for hours. And I thought he was going to feel let down being back at home, after a week spent with DH's family in MA/NH/ME, where he went camping & fishing for the first time (caught 11 fish from a stocked pond), fed the chickens and pheasants, and had all of his cousins to play with him and dote on him, but he's readjusted to home life so nicely and seems to just have accepted that he had this awesome week that's done, and now it's time to move onto the next fun thing. I'm sorry that some dill stole your credit card number, though, L. I hope you're making headway in calling down your list.

Our 4th of July was very uneventful. We went to the beach in the morning and surfed with the family of the surfer mama I've mentioned here before; our husbands have become friends and surfer mama & I have become running/cycling buddies as well. It was windy, and big out there, and the beach just kept getting more and more crowded. We took B home for his nap at noon, and while he napped, I slipped away with one of my dogs to a local park where there was big city event, and I socialized and took pictures for the mom's club. Then we met up again with the same family we'd surfed with in the morning at a new restaurant (aptly named "The Surf Spot"). The restaurant gave us a private dining room, where we could close the door and the kids could run around while we ate and chatted, and we'd feed the little boogers any time one would come within fork distance of us. We went home and didn't see any fireworks. The nearest town to us that used to have fireworks (called Half Moon Bay) had to cancel theirs due to a budget shortfall. B went to bed, and DH & I just hung out like any other night.

The only black spot of my day is that after I got home from the park and looked at my left hand, I noticed my wedding ring was gone. It's never slipped off before - my finger was always thick enough to keep it in place - but my finger might have gotten skinnier, plus cold water shrinks fingers too. So I think it might have come off when I got out of the water and took off my glove at the beach. I remember shaking water out of my glove. The tide was coming up to the rock I was sitting on, so I'm pretty sure it got washed into the Pacific. It was a fairly valuable ring, set with diamonds around the band. I've shown a pic of it here before. It's very sad to lose the ring that hubby put on my finger the day we got married. On the bright side, I always regretted getting that style of ring, as it seemed so girly to me once I had it on, and on top of that, the diamonds were thick enough to bug me in between my fingers. So I look forward to one day replacing the ring with something simpler and more comfortable. Seems kind of a silly expense for us right now, though, when we'd much rather invest the money into stocks. So I'm wearing the silver ring that I wear on the wedding finger when I travel out of the country, and I'll probably be wearing it for awhile. When we do replace the ring, we'll probably have a small party with a few words of recommitment - maybe on our next anniversary - so that there can be some significant memories attached to the ring. DH doesn't know I've planned that out in my head yet, btw. The other silver lining to losing my ring is that I was in an weird funk all day, despite getting 9 hours of sleep. Once I made peace with losing my ring, the entire funk went away. I told Bodhi that I was sad to lose my ring, but I still had daddy, and that was more important.

Have fun with the yummy mummies, Ash. If "Magic Mike" comes out in the UK, I recommend it for a MNO ("mom's night out"). The hooting and howling (and the token 2 men) in the auditorium are hilarious. As a story, it's just ok.

Myles, can you access the IP off the networked printer and add it that way? I ran into some trouble in my new job where the names had fallen off the printers and the users had no clue what they were supposed to be. Since I don't have access to the print server, there was no way for me to tell which was which, so I'd manually add them by IP. Then we migrated to new print servers and that caused all kinds of problems. Ironically, when the new server went down, all my manually configured printers still worked. Well, not ironically, but I have gotten 'the look' from our sys admins when I mention configuring them via IP. They don't approve, so it suited my fancy when mine continued working when their precious server malfunctioned.

And can I say, I'm glad there's only 7 of us and I know who to go to for what. I HATE not being able to help someone, but at least I know who I can escalate the problem to if it gets beyond the scope of what what my permissions will allow me to do. Or, over my head.

I think your 4th of July sounds absolutely lovely Myles, except of course you losing your wedding band. I had to chuckle a little about you having your recommitment ceremony mentally planned and your dh being unaware. That private dining room sounds like heaven! I'd go out more often if we had something like that available to us. Well, Conner is older now so it's not such a big deal but for a while it felt like we couldn't ever go out because he would misbehave in the worst ways imaginable. The absolute worst was when he threw something and it hit another customer in the head. I think that was the single most embarrassing moment I had as a mother. He was about 3 when he did that and we didn't go out to a 'fancy' restaurant again for at least a year. And by fancy, I mean for 6 of us it would have maybe been $150 or so. We're not really the 'evening dress only' kind.

Aw, that's a bummer you lost your ring but great that you can pick yourself up and dust yourself off and move on.

We went to ice cream making and it was fun. I got dbf to come with us by telling him that if he didn't come that I was going to leave Sawyer home with him lol. I was glad he came though because it was fun for all of us and great to have an extra set of hands.

Kai has a strange bite on his chest and I'm terrified that it's scabies again. I have this lingering fear that one of the daycare kids may still have it pop up (in can go 6 weeks symptom free) and we start all over. I hope so much it's just something that bit him in the water yesterday.

Has anyone seen Brave? I'd love to take Savana but can't decide if it will be too scary for her.

I forgot to say that one of my daycare parents was like, "Awwww, really?" when I told her we didn't go see the fireworks this weekend and gave a little frowny face like my poor children missed out. Then she want on to say how miserable her kids were waiting for them to start and how they kept begging to go home and go to bed so they left halfway through. That is exactly what I could see happening to us had we tried to go. We'll get them next weekend right in our back yard over the lake.

Oh that's ridiculous Bridget! For crying out loud, kids don't care which day they see the fireworks! Our kids went the previous weekend, not right on the 4th of July. They're not hurting because of it.

Sounds like everyone had a nice holiday. The fireworks that we can usually see from the front yard were canceled, and we decided not to go elsewhere. My only IRL friend came over, we hung out and swam in our pool. It was nice.

L - Fantastic pics. You seem to really have a gift for capturing your kids.

Myles - Sorry you lost your wedding ring...I get you on the whole mixed feelings bit. DH and I waited years to get married and then suddenly did it in a big rush (about 6 weeks before Dae was due, lol). I picked out a ring that I chose primarily for the fact that it was available in my size 2 days before the wedding. After looking at it for a while, I don't really like it. DH is extreeemely sentimental and I think he would be kind of upset if I chose not to wear the actual ring he put on my finger during the ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post

Has anyone seen Brave? I'd love to take Savana but can't decide if it will be too scary for her.
    I saw it last Sunday - my first time out without the baby, not counting work! There were some pretty intense scenes for an animated film. It is rated PG. Given how sensitive it seems Savana is, I don't know if I could recommend it for her. Does context make a difference for her? It's hard to give too many details without giving away the major plot points. PM me if you want spoilers, lol.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Big response typed up, but computer issues forced a restart so I lost it all. No time or energy to do it again.

Our Independence Day was uneventful. Morning was a neighborhood parade and carnival in the park, then we rented "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" and laid low for a while, then late afternoon swimming at the pool. I was so tired that I went to sleep before it got dark, maybe 8:30 and slept for 12 hours. I think I went to sleep before JoJo did. I was done in from a vacation with dh's boisterous and energetic family - we went to the Lost Pines resort again and it was fun but jeez those people wear me out. Just want to get back to normal for a few weeks before we fly up to Minnesota for a week in August.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Myles sorry that you lost your ring but you have a great attitude about it! I hope that the next one is exactly what you want. It makes a huge difference....I picked out mine 12 years ago and there is probably at least once a week where I look down and think, god I love my ring. And how nice it would be to have another ceremony for it.

Um yeah don't think that the kids are suffering from not seeing the fireworks on the fourth. Especially given that they can see them at a different time. Personally I don't care much for them and only went and saw the professional ones over the lake a few times in my entire life. I just normally scope out a few of the taller ones....or it's been something special like at Disneyworld.

Katy hope that it gets to be normal weather for when you are up here.....right now I think that we are having TX weather.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We are now getting a month's worth of rain in 24 hours....great. I so wish I could box up the weather and send it to the US where you could use it! Despite of the weather, I'm still going out with the ladies tonight. I think we are modifying our plans so that we don't get drenched, but we're all still deteremined to go out. We haven't been out in ages, so this is going to happen come hell or high water as they say.....literally!

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys that I talked to my mom the other day; my dad had been diagnosed with a cataract back in May and was supposed to go for laser surgery this week, but he rang and cancelled it and doesn't plan to reshedule because he can 'see fine now and doesn't want surgery.' I really can't believe that he'd rather go blind than have something corrected now, but he is such a medicine-phobe; the last time he went to the doctor was when he was discharged from the army in the 70's! It makes me really sad to know that his health is going down hill and will continue to do so; he's a heavy drinker and smoker, so I know things are going to go well for him the older he gets.

Aw, Ash. That is so scary. I worry about my dad too because my mom was always the one to make him go in. And he doesn't ever tell us what is going on because he doesn't want to worry us.

Have fun tonight!

Thanks, B. I plan on talking to him when I can to see if I can guilt him in to going.

Have you guys ever read Mark Twain's 'Letters from Earth'? I've started reading it today and I thought it might be something of interest to you ladies, too.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/twainlfe.htm

Sorry Ash. I hope you can reason with him.

dp
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-06-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Yeeee, Ash. That's so frustrating that your dad won't get help. My DH's dad had to reschedule his cataract surgery because he couldn't relax enough for it. I think they had to eventually sedate him. And Bridget, my dad's just like yours - never tells us when something's wrong until he can confirm he's not gonna die. That just makes us think there's always something wrong with him
    that he's not telling us about. Ash, can your dad be convinced to schedule it again

Where's Suja? I have a question for you dog ladies in the hizzy, and wanted her thoughts on this too. Do you guys use anything other than Frontline or Advantage on your dogs for fleas/ticks? The one time we tried something called Triforce - recommended by DH's pet supply sales rep friend - it was half the price but super oily, and it made our smaller dog act like she was communing with the mothership. I took her into the vet because she was behaving so strangely - thought it might have damaged her nervous system. He didn't run any tests on her or pay any attention to my concerns (she eventually returned to normal by herself), AND he lectured me because she had fleas. Well, duh, that's what I was trying to address with the Triforce to begin with. So that product was a waste of money, the vet was a jerk, and we've stuck to Frontline ever since. When Costco's out of it, though, we pay thru the nose.

Molly, do you have the same mobile # as ever? I tried to call you yesterday and left you a message, but it was the generic message, so just double checking. Just want to see how you're feeling - getting close, mama! ... and to shamelessly ask if I could be your "due date" buddy again like we were in Jan 2009. If you need this fir any reason, I would be happy to help convey any messages to these ladies when you go into labor/delivery. Jan 2009 was the most exciting time in my life... a new baby being born practically every day in that room. And then it was our turns. The first time I heard your voice was when I was at the hospital in labor and my laptop had blue-screened on me, my phone barely got reception, and you returned my message saying you'd pass on the news. That was a sound for sore ears.

Oh yeah I have those quiet parents too. Especially my mom. But what can you do, people have a right to health privacy. I don't know that I would tell everything about my health to my parents either....more on a need to know basis.

Myles, we have always used frontline....never tried anything else. And yeah i do buy it at the vet (we don't have a costco)....usually they at least have a deal where if you buy 6, you get one free. I admit that I don't do it as hardcore in the winter but spring/summer/fall they get it every month on the dot. Heartgaard we do every month no matter what though.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Everyone was so shocked when my mom passed away because she only told very close family and friends and even out of those she told, we were the only ones who knew how bad it was. She just didn't want to talk about it. Couldn't really blame her.

Frontline just quit working for us so for the past five years we have used Fleabusters Orthoboric Acid. I have done some research online and it is harmful if you ingest large amounts or breathe it in, but I feel relatively comfortable with it, at least compared to the alternatives. I put it on the floor and then swiffer it around so it get into all the cracks, crannies and holes that fleas like. Dust it into the sides/cracks of the couch, under the cushions, etc. Then I give each pet a Capstar and wash their bedding. For a bad infestation it may take six weeks for the whole life cycle to be done with, but we haven't have a problem like that since we started. I have to reapply the boric acid maybe once every couple of years. Just don't put it on the pet or their bedding.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I never heard of that Katy. I just bought Advantage for Missy the other day & her vet now has a collar that's supposed to be good for 6 months. But it's $45. I'm not so sure I want to try a collar, but it would be cheaper than the $15/month Advantage costs...and I'm not convinced Advantage is really cutting it any more either. She's still really itchy and I put it on the 4th.

When was little I remember the dogs having some kind of white collar that they wore for fleas.

We have only had fleas once...on Cosmo when she was young, like 1 or 2. We had missed frontline by a few days, maybe like 5. We counted 15-20 fleas on her and got some frontline on soon as we saw it. Took care of it and we never saw any again. It is sometimes hard to get on Cosmo right....depends on how long the back hair is. Right after a haircut it's sometimes hard to part it and get the skin on the shoulder blade. Little one has long hair so it's very easy to part and get to the skin.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We use the Hartz drops from the grocery store. They last a month and work pretty well for our dogs. One is an outdoor dog and he doesn't get any fleas/ticks unless DH forgets to use the Hartz stuff or doesn't buy it. We also have flea powder that we will put on Bruno, who stays outside most of the time. He's been inside recently because it is too hot for him to be outside but I don't like flea powder in the house because it makes the floors floury feeling.

We bathe our dogs once a month with a flea killing shampoo also. Fleas and mosquitos are a big deal here in GA and fleas spread really really quickly and if DH forgets to put the Hartz drops on the dogs then they will get fleas within a few days after the protectant of the shampoo wears off after their baths. The Hartz product also protects against mosquitos which cause heart worms and can give animals West Nile virus, which is still prevalent here.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 07-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.

I tried 3 different flea baths on Missy and none of them worked. I can't get any to work as well as Advantage. I don't know if it's her skin (super sensitive) or fur (maltese-like in that it's more like hair than fur) but even a few hours after her flea bath I was picking live ones off her. I even tried using the 3 different ones in one bath session just to see if that would do it.

Here's the website:
    http://www.fleabuster.com/

The first two times we had someone come out and do it and it cost way too much money, but then just bought it online for $50 and the container has lasted a couple of years. Worth a try, anyway. Also, they sprayed nematodes outside in the yard and under the house, which did some good as well. The thing with fleas is that they don't spend so much time on your pet - they just hop on to eat and then hop off again to find a good place to nap. That's why you have to get their bedding and the floor cracks with this stuff.

I do not feel good today at all. I think maybe I am fighting something off - I have been having stomach issues for a week now and it is really bothering me a lot today. I'm tired again and think I will lie down for a bit. I just remembered I have some probiotics that I will take and hope that helps. Disappointed because I really wanted to work on some personal stuff today for upcoming Christmas shows, but I had to grocery shop and then re-do some homework that I did wrong yesterday and now I just want to lie down. Blah.