Page 1107 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 10760710071057109711051106110711081109111711571207 ... LastLast
Results 33,181 to 33,210 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I've known a few people like that. Very shy, not unfriendly, but it's hard to know for sure.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I took the test and it said I was a guardian (SJ).
    Me too. I'm too cheap to pay for the full analysis, though.

I don't remember who asked about this...maybe myles? I forgot to multi-quote. But in all the materials I have on the Myers-Briggs, they say that they are measuring your *behavioral style*. Behaviors are based on values, so I would think that if your values change significantly, your behavioral style would as well. Make sense?
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

There must be somewhere else to take it for free. Those links I posted have links to all the different subtypes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    I don't remember who asked about this...maybe myles? I forgot to multi-quote. But in all the materials I have on the Myers-Briggs, they say that they are measuring your *behavioral style*. Behaviors are based on values, so I would think that if your values change significantly, your behavioral style would as well. Make sense?
    That does make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    There must be somewhere else to take it for free. Those links I posted have links to all the different subtypes, though.
    I read through, and I think I'm in-between subtypes. I would like to see your guess, however.

I don't know...I haven't known you as long so you're harder to guess. Are you an extrovert or introvert? I'm guessing E, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I don't know...I haven't known you as long so you're harder to guess. Are you an extrovert or introvert? I'm guessing E, maybe?
    Yeah, extrovert. I think I'm part Supervisor, part Provider. The last part about Providers is especially true, and the part about childhood behavior of the Supervisor is spot-on. Where they're wrong is in how gregarious I am. I'm completely okay without people, especially if I have the company of a good book (in fact, I wish there were NO people around me when I'm engrossed).

I think I do fall in between types, too. I'm more T than F but I see a lot of me if I read the opposite description. I think some people are more of a clear type than others. I can see you as a little of both, too.

When I took it in college, I had a really hard time with it. I couldn't decide which way I'd react to any number of scenarios. I don't mind being alone or quiet, but I don't need it. I can hang with people and enjoy socializing a great deal. And I don't ever hit a limit with that. I used to be shy and introverted for sure. I think I'm like Myles and changed drastically from adolescence/early 20's till now. I'm completely a different person. But sometimes, even in a gathering of some sort, I do chose to be quiet and just watch people. Watch their facial expressions and body language as they speak. I did that all.the.time as a child. You really learn more about a person that way anyway, so I still utilize that skill, but not on the same level. Before I did it while 'hiding' and hoping no one would notice me. Now, I like people and hearing about their latest drama or adventure. The only times I feel like I need to escape are when the person (people) are real debbie downers or negative. Jesi brought a boy over last night that I couldn't WAIT to see leave. He was cocky and arrogant. But that really wasn't about me needing to recharge. It was about him being a jerk.

Work was normal-busy today, meaning I didn't sit still but I wasn't overwhelmed. Everyone disappeared at lunch time again without really consulting me about our plans (well, one guy did and Faye got called to the dr's for blood work. Hope she's gonna be ok). But there were 3 others that simply disappeared. At one point I had to pee so bad I nearly had an accident. I refused, however, to take the phone with me to the bathroom. I'm not doing that any more and if someone goes to voicemail-oh well. I'm asked to check in before going to lunch so they know they have to cover the phones. They can return the favor and give me a chance to pee before they leave for an hour.

The one that keeps disappearing was in a real crabby mood and actually told me if another of our colleagues gave him 'that look' again he'd knock him out. He continued to say he almost lost it on Lisa, our boss. He spent the last hour shut in her office with her. I don't feel sorry for him, but knowing how he likes to cover his own ass and throw people under the bus, I am curious about what excuses he's making for his behavior. It's probably too much to hope that he'll quit.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ash I like watching Tia and Tamara too.

Dana, maybe she was just surprised because your homebirth failed? Not that it was a reflection on you or your personality/skills.

Yeah I am not the only guardian here! I'm talkative with family and close friends but mostly quiet....even still a lot of times at work and I have been there five years! I have leanings towards provider but am stronger in inspector. I'm just quite as hardcore about rules as they describe. And I'm way into my family. The small core of people that I'm close to, would do anything for them. I am way good with details though....planning, organizing, making sure that things get done. Probably why I found building the house such as easy fun process when so many say it was a nightmare they would never do again. Or getting through the tons of adoption paperwork wasn't really too bad once I set my mind to doing it. The creative part of doing the portfolio was way worse. Mine is organized and clean and clear (and looks nice and cute and fun)...but it's not artistic.

My dad posted on FB "Satan called and he wants his weather back". LOL OMG I am in northern WI, it is not supposed to be this freaking hot up here. A few days in the 90's here and there is normal. Not over a week in the 90's and even see a 100 in the forecast. It is not fun to be outside. I'm ready for the fall.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I try not to go outside during daylight if I can avoid it. Unfortunately starting work in July this year is going to cramp my style.

^^^^Vampire!!
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

^^^^Vampire!!
    You know it! I have skin to match.

^^^^Vampire!!

^^^^Vampire!!
    LOL! I hope she isn't the newer shimmery kind.

What are everyones 4th of July plans? Mine is 1-not getting up early 2-being lazy and 3-hanging out with the kids, probably at Rich's house and having a bbq. That's it. I have Thursday & Friday off as well but don't have anything planned for them aside from #'s 1 & 2 from before.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    LOL! I hope she isn't the newer shimmery kind.
    Not at all. Just very, very pale.

We fended off an invitation from my parents and will probably stay home and BBQ. Nothing else exciting on the agenda. I miss our old house, that was close enough to see the city fireworks from the front of our house. DH hates crowds.

I was expecting bro and nephew, but he has to go to his boss's BBQ, so probably not coming until Thursday or Friday. I'm taking the kid to the ark to orrow before it gets crazy hot. That's it for plans.

My guest dogs have gone home. As long as the kid cooperates, I can sleep till 7tomorrow.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

C&S both have runny noses. C stayed home from school today. She would have gone, but cried for about an hour over not being able to wear her winter boots, so it was decided that she was too fragile and needed to rest.

DH and I would prefer to do nothing celebratory for the 4th. DH thinks the kids have infected him (he always says that) and he's starting to get sick. The children really really really really want to see fireworks. They have never seen them. They start about 2-3 hours past their bedtime. It's a logistical nightmare, and the nearest fireworks (Berkeley Marina) don't allow cars in or out of the area for several hours before they start. So we could conceivably be stuck for many hours in a crowd of thousands in the dusk with three kids well past their normal bedtime, waiting and waiting for fireworks. It sounds awful.

My mom really wants to see the kids see fireworks for the first time, and she wants to go to a parade with them and she wants to give them flags to wave and ribbons to wear.

So my DH's co-worker, who had the nice relaxing dinner party, invited us out to see fireworks in his country town, about 45 minutes away from the city. There will be parking near the fireworks, and the children could conceivably nap in the car on the way out there, or even go back to the car with one of us and nap in it if need be. It will mean getting home close to midnight on a night when there are a lot of people drinking on the freeways, but I think it has a lot of advantages. At least over the local one, and it beats all the sadness of just staying home and doing nothing.

So then we have to figure out what to do with mom. I need to start researching parades, and go to one during the day, and also see if she wants to come along to fireworks in the evening all the way out of town.

And I still haven't done my camping trip plan or settled on the birthday party, and now I have to write a newsletter that's due in 12 days and I'm going to Wyoming in two weeks. GAH!

Wow, L; you better get to it, then! LOL. I don't envy that schedule, though. It will be great for your kids to see the fireworks! It's strange living abroad at holidays like the 4th because it's just another day here. Fireworks are done on Bonfire Night in November, so no one associates fireworks with summer like I still do. My mom said they can't have fireworks this year in AR because of a burn ban. It's been over 100 degrees there every day for awhile now. I told her that I sure wish I could send all the rain we've had her way. I'd love a day of sunshine and about 80 degrees would be about right.

So, no 4th July plans for me, I don't think. DH wanted to go out somewhere like TGI Fridays tonight, but there's a ciricuit class that I'd like to go to instead. The kids and I are meeting up with him at lunchtime, so we might just have a toast to Independence Day then....or I suppose we could have bugers for dinner tonight instead. We have American friends who usually throw a big party around this time, but I think the weather has put them off because they haven't mentioned one this year; we did say we'd go out drinking with them one night to celebrate it and the fact that I have a new job, so there will be champagne involved.

I just got back from taking Cash to the doctor about his loose stools; he said it was completely normal for a kid Cash's age to not have completely formed stools. I told him I'd keep up the food diary and we might send a sample away if his diarrhea lasts over a week. He said as long as he's growing on the same centile, I shouldn't worry. I wondered about food intolerances and celiac diseas, but he said that there would be other symptoms like weight loss, blood in stool and lack of energy, which Cash has none of, but I'm going to keep my eye on him any way.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I've had Ro worked up for diarrhea, Ash. He pretty much always has loose stools, so that it's made it really hard for him to learn how to wipe himself because it takes about 20 wipes for him to get clean.

I remember when I first brought it up with our pedi, he first talked about limiting fruit juices and making sure he wasn't having too much dietary influence that would cause it. He doesn't drink juice anyway, and I pretty much only allow him two servings of oatmeal a week because of this, and so on. Then we tried a trial for a month of no lactose (no change). Then we did stool samples for infections and blood tests for celiac and wheat allergies, particularly because of every other kid in our family being in the 90th percentile for height and him being in the 25th. Finally, after all that, it was decided that he probably had the very common loose stools of childhood and would probably outgrow it. Not abnormal, and nothing to do about it. If I had pushed for it, we could have gone ahead and had a scope and biopsy, but he doesn't have any bleeding or pain, and apparently loose stools are very common.

My pedi had written up all of these steps and possibilities for me, and the whole decision tree for childhood diarrhea, and I felt like I was very much a part of the process. I hope you and Cash feel about as satisfied as you can feel with an unresolved symptom. DH and I occasionally worry that eventually we'll find out that DS has some underlying metabolic abnormality we'll find out about, but right now we're doing the best we can with the information we have.

In the meantime, I have been getting asked questions like, "You have twins? Which two are your twins?"

L, I don't think you have enough to do Golly woman!

It would be great if you could take them to your friend's country town to watch the fireworks. I bet they'd love it! I remember getting almost as excited to go see fireworks when I was a small child as I did on Christmas morning. In most country towns, you can park a distance away and not get involved in the traffic, but still have a pretty good view of everything. At least that's what it is like here.

Our annual fireworks (the ones we always went to) were last weekend and I didn't go. Rich took the kids with his sister and her kids. Rich said it was sad for him because he missed me a lot, but I really feel ambiguous about doing things like that with him. I want to be there the kids, but I don't want to give Rich mixed signals. That part has been very hard to figure out. We're still with each other (and the kids, of course) every afternoon. I need to start having the kids at my place alone more, I think. But I'm very happy that we get along so well. We definitely get along better apart.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for G. He really did have a good time. The next day he asked I am still four? He thought he was four for one day, then back to being three.

Happy 4th of July!! I think we are going to my sister's house and swim in the pool. Then later fireworks on the beach at 9pm. We went last year and we all loved it. I love warm dark.

Have a fun relaxing day whatever you all do today!!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Wow, L, I had no idea that you had the same issue with R. You've mentioned before that he's a picky eater, right? It's funny what you learn from conversing with other people, especially about health issues. Cash pretty much poos after he eats every time and my in-laws have always remarked on that, but I always want to say, "but that is what I do, too!" It's crazy, though, that with Travis it was constipation that we battled and it's the other way around with Cash. I really look forward to when Cash uses the toilet instead of diapers because he is a mess to clean up and if I don't catch it quickly, poo gets everywhere.

I took off yesterday from work and we ran errands and picked up some movies at the video store. Today we are going to sit in the house with the blinds drawn and watch movies and play games...probably Dominion or put together one of his Lego sets. I was already out with the dogs this morning and watered my veggies....and it's NASTY out there. already very hot and so humid you can almost see the water in the air. Yuck.

Can you watch the fireworks on TV? We already have had people in my neighborhood shooting them off. I'm a scrooge because I hate that. I think that it's dangerous and I don't want something to land on my house. And the noises were scaring my little Poogie.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

PBS always shows Washington DC fireworks show. Not sure if the storms and power outtage will affect it.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

We are going out on the boat when my cousin and her husband get here. Next weekend our town has "Lake Days" and they do the fireworks over the lake so our deck in like the best seat in town. We always run into the same problem as you, L, as the kids can't stay up that late. Last year I tried to wake them but they were just all floppy and I couldn't get them out of bed. This year I am going to convince them to take a nap so they can stay up late. It's a pretty great show and last year all I could think about was how I wished they weren't missing it.

I feel really weird admitting this but I tried to take that test y'all are talking about and I seriously can't answer some of the questions because sometimes I am one and sometimes I am the other. Maybe I am just really adaptable or maybe I don't know myself very well? I dunno. I have always had a hard time with those sorts of tests.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Thanks for the birthday wishes for G. He really did have a good time. The next day he asked I am still four? He thought he was four for one day, then back to being three.
    I confess, when I read that my heart swelled and tears pricked my eyes. I just love those sweet little things small children say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Can you watch the fireworks on TV? We already have had people in my neighborhood shooting them off. I'm a scrooge because I hate that. I think that it's dangerous and I don't want something to land on my house. And the noises were scaring my little Poogie.
    I'm like that too Jennifer. I love fireworks-that are professionally displayed. They're illegal to use in NY, but that doesn't stop many people from buying them in PA and firing them off. Rich's neighbors were shooting them over our backyard and I called the police on them. I was terrified a hot ash would land on our roof. They hate me. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I feel really weird admitting this but I tried to take that test y'all are talking about and I seriously can't answer some of the questions because sometimes I am one and sometimes I am the other. Maybe I am just really adaptable or maybe I don't know myself very well? I dunno. I have always had a hard time with those sorts of tests.
    I had the same struggle Bridget, and felt exactly how you described. I react differently depending on the situation, people, mood. I could see myself easily behaving one way or the other. I finally forced myself to just pick one, but I was never convinced the results were 'right' because of it.

I didn't even look at my results for that reason. It wouldn't have felt accurate.