Page 1102 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 102 602 1002 1052 109211001101110211031104 1112 1152 1202 ... LastLast
Results 33,031 to 33,060 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm not adventurous about dip either. For veggies, I really only like french onion dip. Sometimes I can do ranch dressing on them.

It was high 80's with fairly low (for us) humidity (about 50% I think). My apartment is still hot and it's making Syd very uncomfortable. But she's been in it all day. I'm flat broke & can't even buy an ac at Walmart at this point (small little dig at Bridget ) In theory I'm anti-Walmart. In practice, I admit if I had $98 plus tax extra right now, I'd be there.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Sounds delicious, Dana.

Janben, I won't deny that I've heard the horror stories about nationalized healthcare too. I just noticed that you're citing a couple stories about lower quality of care/service as a case against the entire model itself. I think when those of us in here praise the model, it's on the basis of the public paying directly into the system rather than via a third party. While we're sharing personal stories in the context of the discussion, though, I'll share that my experience with NHS was the opposite. Here I was, an American residing temporarily in the UK, and I was quickly given a procedure that was essentially elective and required a half day hospitalization, and the care I received was excellent. The attention I received in the small hospital was heads above anything I've ever received in the US. The nurse kept asking me if I needed to "spend a penny", which I gathered is done in the loo. But honestly, I don't think personal anecdotes are useful for making cases for and against something, not unless you can gather a representative enough sample of personal anecdotes.

Mandy, I don't know much about Paleo beyond one conversation with a friend, but I was of the impression that the meat on the diet was supposed to be wild game. Is that not the case?

ETA: I'm posting from a punk show in the city right now. Mobile phones are a great way to pass the time during a set lull.
    Last edited by demigraf; 06-29-2012 at 01:55 AM.

They do encourage a variety of types of protein, and do encourage wild game as a way of providing that variety. Beef and chicken, etc. are definitely Paleo, though, as is fish of all kinds. DH has been cooking much more lamb for home meals than I have ever been used to. I like it, but it's a little strong for me and I'm fairly lambed out at the moment. The odd parts are what you aren't supposed to eat. Grains are a definite no, as are potatoes as a very starchy carb. But sweet potatoes are okay where potatoes are not (not sure the difference in the two in terms of starchiness, although sweet potatoes are filled with vitamins). They also discourage beans and legumes which I'm not quite clear on the reasoning for. Nuts, especially almonds, are encouraged. Fruits like an apple or a banana are mainly for after a heavy workout when your blood sugar is low, otherwise it's mainly meats, nuts, and veggies, and I think berries are good. Oh, and eggs. Lots of eggs. It's mostly about insulin from what I understand.

I have to say - I don't eat Paleo and wouldn't have picked it, but when DH has a military physical his vitals are those of a man 20 years younger, consistently. He has records of it all and it's pretty amazing. That was not in any way the case before he began this lifestyle change.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-29-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm back and I reek of smoke (she says to no one). I was out tonight with Little Nyah-Nyah's mom. Remember how I mentioned that she talks only about herself, interrupts and doesn't listen to a word you say? It wasn't any different tonight, though it actually worked out well for the mood I was in. I didn't really feel like talking, so was content to listen. And to be fair, we talked a fair amount about her grief process, and she continues to need support. Plus she's fun, and, since she and her hubby own a record label, they get me into shows and introduce me to new music. Tonight (after an eating extravaganza at a vegan restaurant) we saw a couple of bands. One was a band on their label. I loved watching the lead singer jump around the stage. She introduced me to another old friend of hers who was such a trip; he spoke a mile a minute and smelled like an old hat, but he made me laugh a few times. I don't know why I'm sharing this with you guys, except to say it was a fun night. Every time I go to see live music , I keep saying to myself "why don't I do this more often?"

Tomorrow - don't make fun of me - I'm going to see "Magic Mike" on a girls' night out. I know. I know. A lot of my female friends are already publicly protesting it on FB, a-la-"naked muscular men dancing around on stage don't do it for me". That's fine. I can admire a nice build, and am all kinds of excited for the gun show. It's not like I'll be throwing my panties at the screen or anything. Also, this is a Soderbergh film. I am a fan, so I'm fairly certain there will be more to this film than gyrating guys who get their chests waxed.

Mandy, I don't think I could survive a Paleo diet either. I would quickly miss fruit and legumes. That's fantastic that your DH is super-healthy, though. Yay to that. Paleo sounds a bit lilke Nourishing Traditions, which is a Sally Fallon/Weston Price school of eating, at least as far as both being centered around eating like our ancestors. I guess whether or not it's good for you depends somewhat on the ancestor. I was into Nourishing Traditions a couple years ago, back when I was fermenting my own sodas. That was also the same time that there were a lot of berry explosions on the kitchen ceiling.
    Last edited by demigraf; 06-29-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Took out name of the band, as that could be used to identify nyah-nyah's mom.

Oh, Mylah that sounds fun! I do not enjoy hairless, oil dancing men myself but I'd still go for sure and have a great time.

THanks for the sympathy, Jennifer. I'm trying not to complain. The basement is very cool and it's been kind of fun camping out all together. In fact, Savana woke me up at 5am and told me she was cold!

Dbf thinks his interview went very, very well.

I'm starting to unfriend. I can't take it anymore! It's better if I don't know how certain people feel about certain things.

My DH is doing a paleo diet of sorts as well, but he is a beer man and he cannot fully give up beer right now so I think he is ruining his diet on the weekends by drinking a 12 pack of beer.

He wanted me to do it as well, but I also love fruit too much. He read a book called "Eat Right for your Type" or something like that that said he should eat a paleo or cave man diet due to being a type O blood type. I looked into it and found that anthropologist actually believe cave men in the paleolithic time period were "fruitarians" and did not have a meat based diet. Basically people were more hunter gatherer types and did more gathering than hunting. That was an interesting history lesson and I do believe that cave man people probably ate more fruits and veggies than anything else. Weirdly enough, DH's book said that I, as a type B can eat basically anything I want (including white breads/flours) but that I shouldn't eat chicken or tomatoes, two of my favorite foods due to a chemical called leptin that can cause strokes in type B blood individuals. I actually was considering cutting down on chicken anyway because I think we eat it too much and getting it not in the grocery store (where it is antibiotic-ed to death) is difficult and expensive whereas there are a lot of grass fed beef outlets and stores that sell grass fed beef for not all that much money around here. I need to buy a freezer so we can buy a whole cow next year, sounds gruesome but my mom always used to buy a whole cow and a whole pig every year and have it slaughtered and we would eat that meat all year until it ran out, then we had to eat chicken leg quarters and hot dogs (both of which I still don't like all that much).

And Myles I hope you have fun! I used to go to see the Black Chippendales every Thursday when I first moved to Atlanta. At my college they provided shuttles for us to go to different events and we got free admission and the Black Chippendales were one of those events. I don't really like strippers all that much, but it was fun and a lot of the guys were really nice and cool and didn't try to hit on me all the time. I figured they knew what it was like to be hounded so were nice enough not to be vulgar (like most men I met back then) during conversation.

Bridget, you all stay cool! I miss having a basement, they have "crawlspaces" here which are just dirt under your house. We considered turning ours into a basement but it would cost 30K and in this market, we could buy a bigger house for 30K. It is supposed to be 102 degrees here today. I wish I was in WI and Elle and I could keep you all company in the basement.

What area of Ohio is your DBF interviewing if you don't mind answering? NW, SE, Central, NE, or SW. I am trying to get a locale so if you move there I can see about taking a detour on one of my drives up to see family and visit you.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm back and I reek of smoke (she says to no one). I was out tonight with Little Nyah-Nyah's mom. Remember how I mentioned that she talks only about herself, interrupts and doesn't listen to a word you say? It wasn't any different tonight, though it actually worked out well for the mood I was in. I didn't really feel like talking, so was content to listen. And to be fair, we talked a fair amount about her grief process, and she continues to need support. Plus she's fun, and, since she and her hubby own a record label, they get me into shows and introduce me to new music. Tonight (after an eating extravaganza at a vegan restaurant) we saw a couple of bands. One was a band on their label. I loved watching the lead singer jump around the stage. She introduced me to another old friend of hers who was such a trip; he spoke a mile a minute and smelled like an old hat, but he made me laugh a few times. I don't know why I'm sharing this with you guys, except to say it was a fun night. Every time I go to see live music , I keep saying to myself "why don't I do this more often?"
    That's hilarious! I lol'd in my cube and my colleague thinks I've lost my mind.

I do the same thing when I finally get out to see a band. What's really sad is my uncle still plays regularly and I barely get out to see him once a year. I've promised myself that the next time my dad goes to fill in for their bass player, I'm going. My opportunities to see my dad and his brother play together are getting fewer and fewer. It was such a HUGE part of my childhood too...and I didn't realize how special and unique that was.

I might go see Govt Mule Saturday. Anyone here know of them?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Hey guys, I need help. Kind of frivolous help, but help. Birthday help. Sorry for the abrupt change of subject.

I have not made any plans for the twins' birthday party yet, but I cannot get away with just having cupcakes on the beach with immediate family this year. They have been planning their party all year. Their birthday is the 27th. My vacation week is the 20th, and we are going to Wyoming the weekend before, just for a few days. Then we come back on Monday and I thought we could spend Tuesday unpacking, doing laundry, re-packing, and getting organized to go camping, because I don't want to spend the rest of the week doing nothing when it's my only vacation week for the rest of the year and I don't know when we'd go camping otherwise.

We could leave on Wednesday to go camping. DH says I won't feel like it, but I will feel more like it than staying around here doing the same things we always do and having DH go to work every day.

Friday DD has been invited to a sleepover for all the graduating preschool girls. I said I don't know if I will be able to make it. It's at the house of the girl who won't let DD play with DS, and they chose the date that was my vacation week.

I can't really have it any other weekend, besides the Sunday after we get back from Wyoming and from camping. I just realized my only other free weekend this summer is one weekend in August. But I also won't have much time to plan and get a party together after going on two trips in one week. I could skip the camping or just go for some place that's more local and not do the total wilderness camping with a half-day's drive that we've done before.

With all that, I think I need to have a party that is as little work as possible for me. I was hoping to borrow Mylah's excellent idea and get a pony, but don't want to have it at my house because I don't want to have to clean before or after. I have seen parties at some of the regional parks and learning centers, too, or gymnastics and dance studios, but it has to be fun for boys and girls. I'm just at a loss and I know the more I delay in planning the harder this will be.

My anthropologist friend laughs at the Paleo diet. What the cavemen ate was highly variable, based on seasons, location, availability, etc. They sure as heck did not eat beef/pork/chicken and depending on geography, likely had no access to fish either. They likely did eat root vegetables, fruits, basically anything edible and available, so some of the dietary restrictions make no sense. And we honestly have no evidence that they were, on the whole, healthy. It's not like one can perform an autopsy and determine cause of death on 100,000 year old remains. Not to mention, the average lifespan of a caveman was about half that of modern man.

IMO, the benefits of the diet comes from cutting out junk/highly processed foods, and possibly calorie restriction.

L, I've done bday parties at the bowling alley and kids of every age have fun with that. There's rollerskating or even the movies as well, but I think the movies might be difficult for some kids your twins' age.

The person in charge of the diet class I just finished (she's been in the weight management for many many years) said that eating for blood type and that sort of thing was bunk. I know I have requested that book via interlibrary loan but I will not buy it for my own library....and I will buy quite a few different diet books....long as the basics seem reasonable.

The diet I'm on is unlimited fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean protein, limited sugar. Add exercise and keep written records. I have been doing pretty good most days but also not sticking so hardcore that I feel burnt out. Already 10 weeks but I'm not sick of it and feel like I'm just getting started.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, and I'd definitely be going camping if that was my only opportunity to do so.

I would not go camping....but only because I don't think I like camping (never been). I think that you should definitely go though!

Do you have any of those places that are like playgrounds with ball pits and climbing stuff? They usually have parties.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

APA is being weird. It keeps re-directing me to the login page, although I'm already logged in.

L, we have parks here where there are pavilions you can book, and activities to do. Like the one we had the company picnic, they have a nice little train ride, carousels, play area, miniature golf, and an ice cream stand. I'm sure kids could have fun with that. I've seen birthday parties being held at the local zoo/animal park, and my friend did her son's b'day in a completely hands-off way, with just handing a wad of cash to some outfit that took care of everything, including the cake.

Oh, forgot to mention. My friends are having their baby. She was supposed to have a C, but the doctor checked and decided to induce her? I'm not sure exactly what's going on, 'cause her hubby sent out a message saying that she will get Pitocin in another 3 hours, depending on what's going on, so I'm guessing that maybe her water broke or something and they're waiting to see if she'd get things going on her own?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    The person in charge of the diet class I just finished (she's been in the weight management for many many years) said that eating for blood type and that sort of thing was bunk. I know I have requested that book via interlibrary loan but I will not buy it for my own library....and I will buy quite a few different diet books....long as the basics seem reasonable.

The diet I'm on is unlimited fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean protein, limited sugar. Add exercise and keep written records. I have been doing pretty good most days but also not sticking so hardcore that I feel burnt out. Already 10 weeks but I'm not sick of it and feel like I'm just getting started.
    I also agree it is crazy Jen. I told DH so but he is always on some sort of new fitness kick and now he gets mad if I want to go to a restaurant and get us some sandwiches or something for dinner since he can't eat sandwiches and I'm like....whatever....

I usually eat the same way your plan is calling for, I just make sure to pair and carb and protein with every meal and I do my best to eat a veggie with every meal, usually I just make a "green shake" for breakfast with a lot of spinach, berries, greek yogurt, honey, dab of vanilla, ground flax seed, and milk (sometimes regular or almond or soy or coconut, depending on what I have).

L, I would just do a party at a local park/playground. I would see if they had a small pavillion to rent by a playground or even just set up in the shade and do a small BBQ and let the kids play at the playground together for a party. Low key is the way for me. Maybe let them dress up like Halloween or something. I always let my kids dress up in a costume for their birthdays and they love it. Last year Elle was "Spiderman Girl Princess" (a spidergirl dress costume with a tiara). Hang a banner between some trees, a BBQ, a cake and some ice cream in a cooler is a short notice party for our family. Kids usually have a great time. I sometimes will think of fun field day games to play and give out some plastic gold medals. That would be especially cool for them with the Olympics coming up.

Erin

I vote park for the party as well. If I ever start doing them, it will never be at my house. Too stressful.
    I've heard a lot about those eating for your blood type diets but never looked into them much. I've always been too afraid it would tell me I shouldn't be eating something I love!

My daycare kids just went home and I just love their mom. She tells me all the time how much she loves having her kids come here, how they talk about it all the time to everyone they know, how they collapse into sleep at home because they play so hard here. She makes me feel really, really good!

I personally look forward to throwing b-day parties at home. But the house is usually almost clean enough for company at all times. And I will almost certainly only have one kid....DH really only wants one he thinks (he's an only) and well it's not like we have had much say in the matter.

One thing I would say from attending some of my cousins home parties, have a VERY clear pick up and drop off time. No 4pm until whenever but a definite 2 to 4pm. Otherwise people will take advantage of free babysitting....or they will just never leave.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I almost always do a sleep over for my kids, so there's no end time. I don't plan anything for the following day except cleaning up, so the parents can pick up whenever. I'm pretty lax I guess. But I don't mind it and always have had a good time. I can't remember any kids staying past noon the next day. Most are picked up much earlier.

But....I haven't tried to have a bday party in the midst of all that L has going on either. In that case, it would be different. Her time is very limited that week.

The parents don't leave when the kids are that young do they?

Bridget, that is great about your daycare mom; do you just have the one family who you look after now? I hope the heat lets up for y'all. I wish you could send a few degrees our way. I miss a good summer heatwave.

L, we had Trav's 4th birthday party at one of those kid play places; we just pad something like $12 a kid and they let us have 2 hours of play, provided all the food (but the cake) and did the party bags for all the kids. A park or something like that would be just as good I guess! A mummy friend of mine tonight said she's thinking of having a swimming pool party for her son's 5th birthday.

I have to tell y'all about what happened last night. It's one of those times that I wish I could stop my brain thinking "What could have happened?" The boys and I got back from karate and DH was home and said he wanted to go next door to his mum's to get his hair cut, so I took the boys around to play there for a little bit (our back yards are not separated so that it's a big space for them to run around). FIL said to me that he'd watch the kids for me if I wanted to get started on mine and DH's supper (the kids had already eaten). So, I left them there and went in my house to prepare supper. About 10 minutes later, I heard Travis crying this really horrible cry (I was expecting to walk outside and see blood everywhere or a broken bone), but he was on his little push bike thing and was saying, "IT'S CASH; HE'S IN THE ROAD AND A CAR......" I could have been sick right then and there. I'm sure I turned white as a ghost as I turned the corner and saw that DH had left our gate open!!!!!! So, I kept running expecting to see Cash dead in the road, but then I saw our neighbor running just ahead of me and there was Cash on the other side of the street on a push bike as well, just sitting there on his bike, looking around and a big van just driving by. Travis had been trying to get his Grandad's attention that Cash had got through the gate and across the street. I was so shaken up and did not sleep at all last night; I couldn't get Travis' voice out of my head, how terrified he sounded and just thinking of what could have happened to Cash. Needless to say, that gate will always be closed with the lock on now and DH's dad will not be watching my kids on his own...I don't mean that to sound harsh, but he can be a little absent-minded sometimes,so I think I've realized I don't think I can trust him 100% to be switched on to the kids all the time if he's just on his own with them.

Oh jesus. My heart is in my throat just reading that. I don't think you sound harsh at all and I totally agree you can't leave him with them. Poor Travis! What a good brother.

Aww Ash-no wonder your mind is reeling! Anyones would be!!!

Bridget-you're the bomb!

Ash, I don't think that you sound harsh either. How scary!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yikes! Not harsh at all. I would consider keeping the kids out of the road to be a primary babysitting responsibility!
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Ash, how scary! And what a good big brother Travis was to know how important it was.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Travis is a great brother. Bless his heart.

How scary, Ash. Glad all are okay.

Last edited by AbbeysMom; 06-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010