Page 1099 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 99 599 999 1049 108910971098109911001101 1109 1149 1199 ... LastLast
Results 32,941 to 32,970 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #32941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Healthcare is an interesting political discussion, though it can get complicated. I never thought much about it really in a political sense, but through researching the bill and looking up a history of healthcare in this country, I found out that we are already paying taxes (a portion of FICA) for medical care for others - our "public healthcare expenditures." Basically you are paying for Medicaid and Medicare already for the poor and elderly and some of the amounts left over from ER expenses when uninsured patients can't or don't pay. Most people also purchase policies themselves - private healthcare expenditures. So in this country we are required to pay for healthcare twice, which is why our healthcare costs are so much more than other countries with single payer systems (universal care, they only have the "public expenditure"). They only get taxed once and everyone's money pays for everyone else. One of the largest public expenses in our country's budget is Medicare/Medicaid payments and the taxes that we pay for those (and all of us can't even use them) is pretty significant. For instance, my family's health insurance is around $4000 a year for the plan we have. So my family pays the $4000 for that, plus co-pays/Rx costs out of pocket. A percentage of our income is also taken by the government, and the amount for public health expenditures is pretty much the same $4000 as our private plan, so we are paying $8000 a year for insurance. It is an interesting subject, but like I said complicated so won't go into it that much as it would take up too much space and time.
    Not only that, you actually pay thrice, because the hospitals and physicians charge insurance companies (and by extension, you) more to help cover the costs of caring for the uninsured and make up when Medicare/Medicaid fall short!!
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)


  2. #32942
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I personally do not see that this is any different from my state imposing an 'uninsured motorist fee' for people that fail to carry insurance on their cars.

    ITA with this.

    Christina, there are some provisions that people really like. Like companies cannot deny you for pre-existing conditions. Like my sister got denied everywhere....because she had some ear surgeries in her past....more than five years in her past and it's not an ongoing issue. My coworkers daughter got kicked off her insurance because she had lap done for endo.
    It is also nice that young people can stay on their parents plans longer. I was lucky and had until I was 25 but that was rare. I basically married DH when I did just so I could have his insurance.

    There are some other interesting things going on...not sure that it's part of this act but it's a big push....like getting places on electronic medical records. This is going on where I work. So if I go to see doc A and get a test, all the docs can see the results and that can reduce repeat testing reducing costs. And there is a big push towards evidence based care....looking and see what the evidence shows....the newest flashiest thing (and most expensive usually) is not always the best. Another is an idea called medical homes....where you have a team based approach to chronic conditions and the hope is to keep things like say diabetes under control instead of letting it go until it's bad...and more expensive to take care of. There is a big emphasis on prevention recently...even since I started in 2003....instead of just focusing on curing things or managing them.
    A lot of interesting things going on. I know my institution is pretty heavily involved in many of these things....I just wish that I had the time to read more than just scanning titles and sometimes abstracts before passing the literature searches on.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  3. #32943
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,958

    Default

    I am interested to hear what will happen in situations like mine. I am insured through my employer, and my benefit package basically allows me to insure myself at no cost to me (I voluntarily pay an extra $60/paycheck to bump up my insurance to a better plan, but I only pay the difference between the two plans). However, to insure DH i would have to pay the entire cost of his insurance, which would work out to $500 or more per month - basically it would be cheaper to self-insure. He is out of work and because he is a veteran and can use the VA services anytime for a sliding scale, we have chosen not to insure him. Medicaid is out of the question because I may way too much to qualify our family for any assistance, however with him out of work we are essentially living paycheck to paycheck because of our house. Another option available to us is to pay for Tricare because he is in the National Guard, and we have discussed that once I have a child we will insure him/her through Tricare. However, does DH being covered by the VA count as being insured? I suspect it doesn't. So we would either need to insure him or pay the tax if we can't - when he has access to healthcare without it.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  4. #32944
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    BTW, this is strictly my interpretation. Opinions expressed here are not the opinions of my employer blah blah in case anyone ever found out where I worked. Policies, you know...
    Those darn lawyers!!

    Ok... So no more you have to have children AND be impovershed to get Medicaid? That's good. At least that's something.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  5. #32945
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    ITA with this.

    Christina, there are some provisions that people really like. Like companies cannot deny you for pre-existing conditions. Like my sister got denied everywhere....because she had some ear surgeries in her past....more than five years in her past and it's not an ongoing issue. My coworkers daughter got kicked off her insurance because she had lap done for endo.
    It is also nice that young people can stay on their parents plans longer. I was lucky and had until I was 25 but that was rare. I basically married DH when I did just so I could have his insurance.
    This was literally going to be my next question. My mom has a number of pre-existing conditions (she could very well manage her own pharmacy ) and private insurance is impossible for her to get

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  6. #32946
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I really don't think this will impact New Yorkers very much. Not only have we had Medicaid (even available to single men without children) but we have Child Health Plus as well as Family Health Plus available through the state. They're income based. My SIL had insurance available through her work, but it cost over 1/2 her paycheck. She made too much for Medicaid, so she had CHP for her kids for something like $9/month plus copays and FHP for herself for $13/month plus copays.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  7. #32947
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Not only that, you actually pay thrice, because the hospitals and physicians charge insurance companies (and by extension, you) more to help cover the costs of caring for the uninsured and make up when Medicare/Medicaid fall short!!
    BUT who is going to pay for the increase costs of Medicaid?? If more people qualify for Medicaid the cost is going to increase, or at least that is my line of thinking.

    This sounds like it has a good core, obviously there are going to be some kinks. Hopefully in the long run it will be beneficial for everyone

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  8. #32948
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    This sounds like it has a good core, obviously there are going to be some kinks. Hopefully in the long run it will be beneficial for everyone
    Ultimately, that is the goal. Right now, we're all paying for people that don't have insurance but run up unpaid medical bills. When they go years without treatment, those expenses related to treatment are easily in the 10's of thousands. Doctor offices and hospitals pass those expenses on to us (those with insurance and who actually can afford to pay their self-pay bills). It's a cycle that needs to stop.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  9. #32949
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,958

    Default

    The argument is that with more people paying for healthcare, it will cost less per person. I think it remains to be seen whether it is financially sustainable, but I don't think anyone really knows at this point.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  10. #32950
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    The argument is that with more people paying for healthcare, it will cost less per person. I think it remains to be seen whether it is financially sustainable, but I don't think anyone really knows at this point.
    That already is true with private insurance. Larger businesses, like Cornell, can offer their employees more affordable health care than small businesses can. Because they're bigger and have a much larger pool of employees purchasing the insurance. The more people in 1 plan, the cheaper per person the rates are. That's why having at least 1 insurance plan available to EVERYONE is a good idea.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  11. #32951
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I really don't think this will impact New Yorkers very much. Not only have we had Medicaid (even available to single men without children) but we have Child Health Plus as well as Family Health Plus available through the state. They're income based. My SIL had insurance available through her work, but it cost over 1/2 her paycheck. She made too much for Medicaid, so she had CHP for her kids for something like $9/month plus copays and FHP for herself for $13/month plus copays.
    We have Florida Healthy Kids (which Nolan is signed up for). Our portion is only $20/month With like $5-10 copays! My premium would have almost tripled each bi-weekly paycheck and my copay is $60 through my Insurance so I was SO relieved when we qualified. Plus my Insurance doesn't cover hardly any blood work, testing or anything until you hit the yearly which is 5,000 and I HAVE to maintain my Insurance through week. It is required.
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 06-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  12. #32952
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,958

    Default

    Oh, I understand that logic. I just don't know that the prices will even out enough that prices will truly be that affordable. My employer has over 9000 employees, but I pay more for insurance through them than I did when I worked for a company of less than 300 people. The question is really how many more people will be paying into the system and how much will what they pay help to level out the difference in premiums? I don't know that anyone has shown the actual numbers involved (they couldn't).
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  13. #32953
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Ultimately, that is the goal. Right now, we're all paying for people that don't have insurance but run up unpaid medical bills. When they go years without treatment, those expenses related to treatment are easily in the 10's of thousands. Doctor offices and hospitals pass those expenses on to us (those with insurance and who actually can afford to pay their self-pay bills). It's a cycle that needs to stop.
    Just because you have Insurance doesn't mean you can afford to utilize it though. Even if people are forced to get Insurance whose to say that it'll be something they can put to use.

    Like I said, kinks, but hopefully it all works out in due time.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  14. #32954
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Oh and thanks for helping me get a better grasp on this. I really appreciate it, ya'll are awesome

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  15. #32955
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Oh, I understand that logic. I just don't know that the prices will even out enough that prices will truly be that affordable. My employer has over 9000 employees, but I pay more for insurance through them than I did when I worked for a company of less than 300 people.
    I know you do. But Christina has admitted that she hasn't kept up on it as much as we have been.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Just because you have Insurance doesn't mean you can afford to utilize it though. Even if people are forced to get Insurance whose to say that it'll be something they can put to use.

    Like I said, kinks, but hopefully it all works out in due time.
    The goal is to make medical care affordable for all...even those that are at the lower end of the financial spectrum. This might not do it by itself, but it's a step in a positive direction.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  16. #32956
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Oh and thanks for helping me get a better grasp on this. I really appreciate it, ya'll are awesome
    You're welcome. I think this is one topic where most of us are relatively on the same page and feel pretty strongly about. I think we're all (or most of us) liberal or lean that way.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  17. #32957
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,958

    Default

    I don't know what I think of this system. I hate how insurance companies work. A Britain-style system where your taxes truly do go to pay for your healthcare makes more sense to me than this does.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  18. #32958
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    I tend to tune out all things political. It's one of those things where my feelings on the subject are not going to matter in the end, so I just go with the flow. Nothing is perfect in the beginning and that is true for all new things, I just hope that the Insurance companies do not take advantage of people being forced to be insured. That is my primary concern at the moment.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  19. #32959

    Default

    I look at this as as step in the right direction. Change never comes easy. But we need change.

  20. #32960
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I don't know what I think of this system. I hate how insurance companies work. A Britain-style system where your taxes truly do go to pay for your healthcare makes more sense to me than this does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I look at this as as step in the right direction. Change never comes easy. But we need change.
    Agree with you both. I'd love to have a Canadian/British healthcare system.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  21. #32961
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    However, does DH being covered by the VA count as being insured? I suspect it doesn't. So we would either need to insure him or pay the tax if we can't - when he has access to healthcare without it.
    I think the answer to your question is YES.
    http://www.healthcare.gov/news/facts...-care-act.html
    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41198.pdf

  22. #32962

    Default

    Dbf is Canadian. So we can escape if need be

  23. #32963
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,958

    Default

    Thanks for the links, Suja.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  24. #32964
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Dbf is Canadian. So we can escape if need be
    Can I come?? Pretty please

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  25. #32965
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I don't know what I think of this system. I hate how insurance companies work. A Britain-style system where your taxes truly do go to pay for your healthcare makes more sense to me than this does.

    I agree with that. I think that this is better than nothing but not really wanted I wanted. Why pay a middle man if you don't have to? And I hate that some people seem to be "valued" more just because they are LUCKY enough to have good coverage.

    Interesting enough....the UK was way ahead of the US in terms of actually using evidence based medicine. I subscribe to a number of their journals....

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  26. #32966

    Default

    I am feeling irked by all the fb stati acting like this is about deadbeat welfare recipients. It's so much more complex than that. Like your sister, for example, Jennifer. Even my parents were pretty worried toward the end of my mom's life that she would lose her insurance if she stopped working. She was far from a deadbeat. *sigh.

  27. #32967
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I am feeling irked by all the fb stati acting like this is about deadbeat welfare recipients. It's so much more complex than that. Like your sister, for example, Jennifer. Even my parents were pretty worried toward the end of my mom's life that she would lose her insurance if she stopped working. She was far from a deadbeat. *sigh.
    This is exactly why I asked you ladies and not anyone I know. People tend to look at things as so black/white without considering the numerous angles to a topic.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  28. #32968
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Dbf is Canadian. So we can escape if need be
    would that apply to you as well, or would you have to marry him first?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I am feeling irked by all the fb stati acting like this is about deadbeat welfare recipients. It's so much more complex than that. Like your sister, for example, Jennifer. Even my parents were pretty worried toward the end of my mom's life that she would lose her insurance if she stopped working. She was far from a deadbeat. *sigh.
    That's the real kicker...people that do everything 'right' their whole lives, then develop a serious illness like your mother and either max out their major medical, or have to quit working due to the severity of their illness and thus lose their health coverage. It's utter BS if you ask me. If anyone thinks that system 'works' they should be ashamed of themselves.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #32969

    Default

    I'd likely have to marry him. But the kids get to have dual citizenship which I love for them!

  30. #32970
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I'd likely have to marry him. But the kids get to have dual citizenship which I love for them!
    That really is great. For life, if 'something' happens, they can be treated. I want that for my kids too.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •