Page 1084 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 84 584 984 1034 107410821083108410851086 1094 1134 1184 ... LastLast
Results 32,491 to 32,520 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I was 18 the last time I had a bday party. I guess both my parents families, as well as Rich's, don't really celebrate them for adults. It's still nice to be taken out for dinner though.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Molly, what is so great about a vitamix? DH said this is better than a vitamix blender and has a 7 year warranty and can crush asphalt if necessary. I just can't think of anything I do that needs that much power. We aren't really big juicers, though perhaps that is what my dh is thinking about?
    I'm a vegetarian and love to cook, so new fancy kitchen appliances have big appeal. My MIL got me a Kitchenaid stand mixer and I'm still thankful and in love with it, 4 years later.

You can make hummus with the Vitamix that's not lumpy (impossible even with my awesome food processor) and you can make vegetable soup bases by pureeing the vegetable entirely, so you don't waste the nutrients in the pulp. It's also really good for any raw food recipes... I tried raw almond milk at a demo they did at Costco and it was awesome. Not to mention easy, just water, raw almonds, honey and vanilla. What brand of blender did your DH buy?

And as far as gift disappointment, I give my DH a really hard time. Either he picks something and I don't like it at all and then feel guilty for not liking it and mad at him for not knowing I would like it, or I tell him what to get and I'm disappointed he couldn't think of it on his own (like I made it too easy).

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

When Rich & I bought each other gifts for our birthdays (we didn't do it every year), it was usually something big that was discussed before hand. The iPad is a good example of something that could end up being a birthday present. Sure, it had to be mentioned but really...I know I wouldn't want Rich picking out any of my geeky toys!!! I'm sure he wouldn't want me choosing his chain saw or other guy-guy toys either. We were both perfectly fine with that system.

I'm sorry you're not feeling great, Katy. I'd go dancing with you, too, if I could!

I'm the same way with gifts, Molly. It's caused more tension than I care to think about between me and dh.

I'm just preparing lunch for Cash and me right now, but we're waiting for a friend and her 6 year old twins to arrive. They are staying with us for 2 nights. We've never had house guests before, so I'm not sure how it's all going to play out. Lol. I've been busy the past few days spring cleaning the house!

I'm sorry you're not feeling great, Katy. I'd go dancing with you, too, if I could!

I'm the same way with gifts, Molly. It's caused more tension than I care to think about between me and dh.

I'm just preparing lunch for Cash and me right now, but we're waiting for a friend and her 6 year old twins to arrive. They are staying with us for 2 nights. We've never had house guests before, so I'm not sure how it's all going to play out. Lol. I've been busy the past few days spring cleaning the house!

Dbf usually does pretty darn good for gifts. He's practical and likes to impress so that's a good combo. When I was cleaning and bagging my entire house last week I took down my living room curtains that were here when we moved in and I have always hated them. They had huge valances and were old lady-ish. For such a small living room they just didn't work. Plus one of the things I read said to clean/vacuum the drapes in case any mites were living on them and I just couldn't be bothered. I knew he would be annoyed because he hates when the sun shines in and makes it too hot or reflect the wrong way off his beloved computer screen. Even so, he very generously ordered the curtains I've been wanting for a long time now but he didn't feel we needed to replace the old ones. I guess I left him no choice but I am still thankful.

Last night we went for a walk and I like to run up the hills to burn some extra calories and Savana decided to run with me. She is not very coordinated or athletic by nature so I really like to encourage her to strengthen her body. We were cruising along and she was SO happy when suddenly she cut in front of the stroller. I stopped as quickly as I could but not in time and her feet got tripped up causing her to totally wipe out on the street. Scraped knees, elbows, hands, tummy. She was so angry with me like I just rammed into her! Oh my goodness I felt so horrible and kind of like a shmuck trying to explain to her why it happened. I didn't want to be like, "No, it was totally your fault" but I also did not want her thinking that I did it to her. It sucked.

2 years ago today I whispered in my mama's ear that I was having another baby. Later that day she took her last breath. I miss her so much.

Aw Bridget. I can't believe it's been two years. It doesn't feel like it's been that long. And poor Savana. I loved running with Conner too...when I used to do it all the time, he'd wait to see me coming and run to meet me and then run back with me.

I have to say, I hate being interrupted when I'm going through our help desk ticketing system. That's what I'm doing right now as a matter of fact () and my colleague always comes in and starts yacking at me. I'm not antisocial, but I do need to like not talk for 5 seconds so I can concentrate. I hope it's not going to be one of those days.

On a happy note, my work buddy should be returning after being out for 2 weeks with shingles. Her appointment wasn't until this afternoon, so I'm really hoping she got it moved up 'cause the boss-lady wasn't going to let her return until she'd seen the dr and got an official release to return to work. I miss her dreadfully.

I can't believe it's been 2 years, Bridget. (hugs). That makes me realize how long I've been hanging out with you ladies.

Bridget

I think with gift giving for us at least, it doesn't really make that much sense as all our money is joint. So if he buys me something, it's really the same as if I bought it myself. I like it much better when I say come home sometimes to find out that he cleaned the house while I was at work and now we don't have to spend time on the weekend doing that.

I don't expect him to be a mind reader so there are times when I have said exactly what I wanted for an occassion. Or him for me. Like last winter I was buying him a ton of legos for xmas and his birthday. But he had a wish list created so I knew exactly what sets he really wanted.

I really didn't want to resort to posion but I am. Probably tomorrow we will spread it in the yard to kill bugs, especially the ticks. Several people have suggested it and said that it's worked really well for them in keeping ticks out of the yard. I'm tired of pulling ticks off us or the dogs....after being in my yard with short grass. I want to be able to take the girls outside to play and enjoy it. Of course they will not be going out for a while after we spread the stuff.....will double check what the bag says.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Bridget
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

So DH and I were watching TV and he likes to suggest names for a baby (though we are definite on boy name being Theodore). His latest one though is Seamus. Pronounced Shay-mus. I think probably most of you know our last name. Thank god he was joking because that is just awful when that name is said with our last name!

Bridget, how is Sawyer doing with that spot?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

ACUAJI! (All caught up and jumping in)

Bridget... so much has happened in the last two years, and I love the way you keep the memory of your mother alive in your loving stories about her. Be extra kind to yourself today, ok?

Liz, how are you? If you check in, please let us know how you're doing. Big squeeze to you too.

Mandy, I was sorry to read that AF had arrived for you. I hope this doesn't sound too much like uninformed advice, which - let's face it - it actually is...maybe you can try to see it as every month being an opportunity -with or without the treatments- every handful of weeks. And perhaps it'll help to reaffirm with your DH the love that is behind the process of trying to make a brand new person that's part him and part you. The process can feel mechanical, I imagine, but you'll always have that love. I know this has been understandably difficult on you, and it hurts me when I see you hurting.

Molly, when are you due again? How are you feeling about the prospect of being a mom of 2? Oh, and if you have any fun recipes to share that employ your KA stand mixer, please do. So far I've only used ours to make cakes from box mixes. :/

I've been back from a sort of retreat in the desert for almost a week now (I met Librynth, Molly! She was out for a law librarian conference, and she was really wonderful.) I did a lot of yoga, ran and hiked a lot, got back to Joshua Tree Natl. Park, which holds a lot of personal significance for me. I feel spiritually ... reinforced. A
    funny thing to say in our secular room, but there it is. I've been having a lot of feelings that can be perceived as corny - just wanting to put love into every interaction, being mindful of other people's perspectives, avoiding the news - LOL. It's like I've been trying to integrate some person I took back with me into my life at home.

Katy, let's all get Skype or Google Talk and have an online party for you. Seriously!
    Last edited by demigraf; 06-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Welcome back! Sounds like a nice time at the retreat.

We use our KA mixer for pizza dough. Love homemade pizza! 1 cup warm water, 1 yeast packet....mix. Add 2 tbsp of oil...we have used veggie or olive oil and didn't notice a difference. Add also 1 tbsp of sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix again. Start adding the flour....about 1/2 cup at a time while mixing...usually end up with about 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 cups of flour. It should be smooth and not sticky. Cover the ball with a thin film of oil and let it rise covered with a cloth (like a towel) for at least 45 minutes.
    You could divide and make two thin pizzas but we spread it in a greased cookie sheet and get one thicker pizza from it. Bake at 425 for about 12 minutes. Darker pans give crispier crust. Also don't overload it too much with extras. We do pizza sauce, lean cooked hamburger because I don't like sausage and cheese.

I have been thinking about trying this out with some whole wheat flour in place of all white but haven't tried it yet.

I also use the mixer for cookies....I make really good snickerdoodles......but being on a diet haven't done that recently.
    Speaking of the diet....so far down 6.5 lbs....and that is even with going out of town for a whole week and being off plan....and not sticking to it all that great on weekends. it's a bit slow going but so far changes have been ones I am sure that I can live with long term. Goal is 40 lbs. I am thinking about going back to WW once the class is over. Now that I'm getting more used to keeping track of things in writing. It's pretty much the same thing as I am doing now...focus on fruits and veggies, than whole grains and lower fat proteins.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Mandy, I was sorry to read that AF had arrived for you. I hope this doesn't sound too much like uninformed advice, which - let's face it - it actually is...maybe you can try to see it as every month being an opportunity -with or without the treatments- every handful of weeks. And perhaps it'll help to reaffirm with your DH the love that is behind the process of trying to make a brand new person that's part him and part you. The process can feel mechanical, I imagine, but you'll always have that love. I know this has been understandably difficult on you, and it hurts me when I see you hurting.
    How beautifully said. Many Mandy. I know how heart wrenching this is for you and wish I could offer something more than my virtual hugs.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Thanks, guys. I just love all of you (maybe corny is in the air right now - but that's a good thing).
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Remember I mentioned a week or so ago that I was trying to get in touch with my friend to see if I could use her as a reference? I left a voice mail and texted her and never heard back, and she's usually good about calling back. Since I didn't hear from her, I was really starting to worry that she was upset with me (can't think why) or something else was going on. Well, she finally called me back this morning. Turns out she was on a cruise with her in-laws and just got back yesterday. This sounds silly, but I'm so pleased to know she wasn't avoiding me because she didn't want to be a reference! LOL - I am too self-conscious!

I agree corny in the air is a good thing. I like that we have this loving place.

Thanks for asking about Sawyer, Jennifer. The rash is gone and the lyme test came back negative. They will re-test in 6 weeks if I choose but I am thinking since it went away (I never even picked up the prescription cream, just used neem oil and tea tree) without getting bigger it was likely something else. Oh, and the spot on my breast went away too with the hydrocortizone cream. So MOST of the ailments are gone. Please, please, please let the mites be gone.

Mylah, your trip sounds SO.LOVELY. Seriously sounds like a dream come true.

Kai's birthday is sunday and I got him a metal detector. He's been asking for one for almost a year now. I am giddy with excitement to give it to him.

Lol Mandy, I am the same way! Whenever someone doesn't answer my calls or texts I start obsessing about what I may have done to upset them and then when I talk to them I feel so silly because clearly everything is fine and I'm just a freak!

Glad I'm not the only one.

How are you feeling? Have you seen any more mites, or are you just worried? I imagine you're going to be on edge about it for a while even if they aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I've been back from a sort of retreat in the desert for almost a week now (I met Librynth, Molly! She was out for a law librarian conference, and she was really wonderful.) I did a lot of yoga, ran and hiked a lot, got back to Joshua Tree Natl. Park, which holds a lot of personal significance for me. I feel spiritually ... reinforced. A
    funny thing to say in our secular room, but there it is. I've been having a lot of feelings that can be perceived as corny - just wanting to put love into every interaction, being mindful of other people's perspectives, avoiding the news - LOL. It's like I've been trying to integrate some person I took back with me into my life at home.

Katy, let's all get Skype or Google Talk and have an online party for you. Seriously!
    that sounds heavenly and not corny at all. Everyone should get an opportunity to rejuvenate like that.

And I'd be game for skyping with y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Kai's birthday is sunday and I got him a metal detector. He's been asking for one for almost a year now. I am giddy with excitement to give it to him.
    That is the awesomest gift ever!! I am impressed that he's even wanted one. Go Kai! He's going to be so excited!

Lol Mandy, I am the same way! Whenever someone doesn't answer my calls or texts I start obsessing about what I may have done to upset them and then when I talk to them I feel so silly because clearly everything is fine and I'm just a freak!
    Me 3. I always think I've said/done something.

Yeah I'm so glad that his spot went away as did yours! I get spots that look like his sometimes and they just go away too. Darn sensitive skin!
    The metal detector sounds like fun!

Mandy that is good that she was just on a cruise! I might have thought that too but more so probably just worried something was wrong with her like illness or death.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I haven't seen anymore on myself but to say I'm on edge is an understatment. Kai is covered in a head to toe rash and is horribly itchy so it's hard for me to tell if he has any new spots. The insane itchiness and the rash is a common side effect of the cream we treated ourselves with. I feel so bad for him.

So my brother just told me my dad went on his dinner date. He told him it's "top secret". I can't help but feel just a little hurt that he doesn't want to tell me. I'm sure he has his reasons. I just really hope he knows that I support him in any quest for contentment, no matter what it is.

I would be super bummed that my dad didn't want to share that with me too. We had some friends whose father got married within a year of their mother's death and didn't tell them until after they eloped. They are still barely on speaking terms. Not that I think your father would do that to you, but they felt the same way, mainly puzzled that he wouldn't want to share with them and sad that he presumed they'd object to it.

Bridget, our holistic chiropractor friends would recommend dealing with most allergic skin reactions by drinking copious amounts of coconut water (16 oz a day for an adult), taking doses of cold-water algae, and Udo's DHA oil. I believe these things would be in support of helping your body flush away the thing your skin is trying to deal with in its breakout. I know this is a bit different, but DH saw them for eczema & psoriasis after seeing 3 different dermatologists. Their recommendations were the only thing that worked to clear his symptoms completely.

Cool Mylah, thanks for that. Most of what I'm reading says that the permetherin causes eczema that can be tough to clear up. Kai's skin is a mess. Even his cheeks are ruddy. How do you take cold water algae?

I want to skype with y'all. Add me to the list!

Bridget, I bet your dad just doesn't want to hurt your feelings, but I can understand how you feel about him not telling you. From what you've told us about him, he sounds like a great guy, so I'm sure he has his reasons.

I want to skype with y'all. Add me to the list!

Bridget, I bet your dad just doesn't want to hurt your feelings, but I can understand how you feel about him not telling you. From what you've told us about him, he sounds like a great guy, so I'm sure he has his reasons.

Cool Mylah, thanks for that. Most of what I'm reading says that the permetherin causes eczema that can be tough to clear up. Kai's skin is a mess. Even his cheeks are ruddy. How do you take cold water algae?
    Your poor Kai! Our chiropractors sold the algae to DH in these little unmarked baggies. It was funny because it was green and dried-leafy, so guess what it looked like? DH would mix a tbsp of it in water or juice and say it tasted terrible. I remember one of them just saying that if you buy for yourself in capsule form, try to get it from the coldest source you can. Like, she said Klamath Lake algae wasn't cold enough. For awhile, DH was also directly wetting down sushi seaweed and wrapping his skin in it, per their instruction, but he didn't notice a difference. I should note that it took 3 months for his skin to clear up. But that was after 3 years of dealing with dermatologists. I hope it doesn't take 3 months for Kai.

ETA: I just had the hardest time researching algae (for consumption) on Google, so I can reach out to them and ask what they recommend or even if they can sell some to you. I can connect you guys via FB too if you like.

ETA ETA: She's a Wisconsin mama too (who lives here now)
    Last edited by demigraf; 06-11-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Well, i am happy to report that I coated Kai in a neem oil/aloe vera gel/burts bees baby oil/coconut oil/hydrocortisone mixture 3 times today and he looks much, much better after his 3 hour nap today. I couldn't bear to wake him as he probably hasn't been sleeping well with all the itchiness. Now it's 10pm and he's sitting next to me eating a rice cake with peanut butter. I do not know when this child will fall asleep after sleeping all afternoon.