Page 1055 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 555559551005104510531054105510561057106511051155 ... LastLast
Results 31,621 to 31,650 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

For years I'd try to make potato and macaroni salads and they always tasted bland. I tried various ingredients and nothing made them taste good. Rich is a Hellmans guy that that's what I'd use. Somehow or another, we ended up having Miracle Whip in the house and I tried them with that--and THAT was the secret! No more bland salad! I can eat a sandwich with Hellmans on it, but not salad. No way.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

mmmm.....mayo.

**Lizzo**

I like both mayo and MW, but lately all we've been using is the olive oil mayo. It's good.
    AKA Lisa724

Ya'll are really making me want some Mayo! Love the stuff! I'll eat it on crackers

Mayo is crazy high on points though, no Mayo for me.... Boo!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

can i just say again that mayo is GROSS. I don't touch any of those salads with it on it and at places like subway, I will ask them to wipe the knife if they don't already do it because I cannot have any touching my sub. When I was in France, I thought I was taking a scoop of vanilla pudding or some other desert thing and took a big bite. OMG. My friend was looking at me like I was nuts and said that was mayo and not desert.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I used to never eat any sort of condiments (liked everything plain for the longest of time) but now I love mayo. MW is too sweet for me. I don't think they even sell MW here. They sell stuff that's called 'salad cream' that might be the equivalent. I have never tasted it because it smells like old sweaty socks to me.

DH was just telling me that some new guy at work was trying to tell him he needed to go on this dating show that they have on tv here called "Take Me Out." He didn't realize DH isn't single, so everyone around the office started laughing and one guy said, "Have you never seen Rich's wife; she's smoking hot." And another girl said, 'yeah, she's a right little hottie.' That's boosted my confidence for the day. LOL. One thing that I joke about some times is 'If you tell me I'm pretty, I'll be your best friend.'

Haha! That is cool they said that! You are a total hottie.

I like very minimal mayo. Like, I can't ever order tuna or chicken salad out to eat because it's always got too much. But I love to make those salads at home.

Ash you are a little hottie!

In less than an hour I have my diet class. I was feeling it last week and sure I lost and I did. Not so sure this week...PMS and AF and just feeling a lot of water rention, extra hunger...blah about exercise.
    But I did still work out some days which is normally no days for me. And haven't had any alcohol in 2 weeks....so have got to be saving some calories there. Dinner has been at the table probably about 60-70% of the time and not in front of the TV. So slowly making improvements in our behaviors.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's brilliant, Jennifer. Cutting the alcohol should help a lot. I know that when I first moved over here, I gained a lot of weight because we went out every weekend to the pubs/clubs and drank. I had never had any kind of alcohol before then. When we stopped going out so much, the weight came off (with exercising at the gym 4 times a week as well), but it did, so I'm sure it'll start melting off ya.

Ash, you're definitely a hottie! I'm glad your dh's coworkers appreciate that

I went to the office today to complain about my kids on the bus. I am seriously scared for their safety sometimes. Violence (punching) has been threatened and honestly I don't want to deal with that or worry about getting caught in the crossfire or anything. So I went and told my boss and she got some people involved. The instigator (C) is going to take a different bus by himself tomorrow, but that doesn't really punish him, because he'll just be back to the same when he's with us again. I guess it's good that it separates him for a day though. He's always joking that nothing happens when he gets written up so I mostly wanted to go make something happen.

Kate, have you asked them point blank what the point of having you write the kids up is if they're not going to do anything about it?

Folks, I'm living in electronic hell over here. I spent all last week rebuilding Conner's desktop as well as setting up an old laptop with docking station for him to use while I worked on his main computer. Then I worked on Dad's, the one his wife game me, Rich's and Bobbie's laptops all weekend long. NOW I've moved on to cell phones. Bobbie lost hers and her replacement came in today. Of course she was waiting for me as soon as I got off the bus, and because I was starving it didn't program as it should and I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Sprint entering #5412484## and such nonsense into it until it worked. Four reboots, and let me tell you that phone ain't in no hurry to wake back up every time it starts

Not only that, but both my brother and I had our phones flake out so we'd gone on Sunday to the closest Sprint replacement store (35 miles away). Both had to be replaced. Under warranty, so that's cool except my brother's phone has been in since yesterday and I was finally told today that my brand is on backorder and they have no idea when it's going to be in.

Meanwhile, we're gearing up for reunion at work and I rely heavily on my cell phone to stay in contact with my coworkers. As we move up on the hill and start setting up the stations there, it will be imperative that I have a phone. As it is, I have to pull my battery every 15-20 minutes to see if I have a message, and today it took the phone 2 hours to notify me that I had a voice mail. I saw the call come in, but it locked up and died before I could answer it. It took me 3 attempts (battery pulls) just to retrieve the message after I was made aware it was there.

I'm at my wits end. I'm in the wrong field I think. I'm so done with electronics. I don't care if I never see another computer or cell phone again!

Maybe it's time to switch your family to Macs and get yourself an iPhone?

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Chrissy, they're only asking you because you're competent. You can fix that!

I spent most of today dealing with our IT person. First to figure out why, now that I am on the new computer, one particular document will no longer print right (cuts off half the page). No one else has this problem and she had no idea why it was happening. She ended up telling me if it happens again, call her.

Secondly, my co-worker who has been out on disability came by for a few minutes today and tried to log into her new computer. She couldn't get on and there was a message that the "trust relationship" did not exist between her computer and the network. Our IT person was on campus and came by to deal with my problem, so got involved with the other computer. Turns out that when they set our computers up last week, they gave them both the same name and the network thinks her computer is an impostor. She's working on it. I feel sorry for her. I'd much rather troubleshoot kids than computers any day.

I had to laugh as I was leaving work today. Someone in one of the houses next to work was moving out and putting a bunch of discard furniture in their alley. One of the items was a round institutional table they clearly stole from the school district. My coworker and I were laughing hysterically because earlier in the school year there was a pile of furniture sitting under a ramada in the middle of our complex and nobody came to deal with it. It just made our whole place look even more like a junk yard. Guess the neighbors ended up helping themselves!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Chrissy, they're only asking you because you're competent. You can fix that!
    LOL - fix their computer, or fix their perception of her as competent? Either way, I know Chrissy can get the job done! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Maybe it's time to switch your family to Macs and get yourself an iPhone?
    I was thinking this, too!

To hell with that! Syd's iPod touch that I bought at Christmas won't even turn on. I haven't even thought about that but I'm going to have to. I think it's still under warranty. I've seen enough Macs to know they're not invincible.

That printer issue you described Mandy is one of my worst nightmares. There are so many variables and they're such a PITA to troubleshoot. I assure you, your IT probably isn't incompetent even if it looks that way. It could be a hidden code/macro in the document, the Office software, the OS itself, and issue with the driver, or perhaps somewhere on the network. It could be a compatibility issue with another printer you have installed that you don't even use. Just yesterday my colleague spent 3 hours troubleshooting a computer that would only print in these little 1x4 sections. 1 regular page would come out in a series of 30+ pages...uninstalling all printers/scanners didn't resolve it either. He googled and googled and tried various things and in the end he couldn't definitively say which one thing resolved it, but he reduced it down to a compatibility issue between the networked HP Laserjet and the usb connected label printer connected to the computer. But he had to go into the registry and delete every association between the two machines before it fixed the problem.

Oh, and we're migrating from our network to Cornell's network right now...well, preparing to do so. It's supposed to be 'easy' but thus far it's been a stinking nightmare and not one thing has gone as it was advertised to. One test machine was supposed to be migrated last night and it wasn't...a different machine was migrated instead. Somehow either the network or Cornell's sys admin switched the computer names.

Oh, this was our personal IT person and she's awesome. I definitely don't think she is incompetent - just that this was a doozy. The general IT people (the ones who named two different computers the same name) - they're idiots. What's worse is, the document that won't print is part of a specialized program designed specifically by the district. It isn't commercial software so it's all internal stuff. It's been a nightmare of troubleshooting every year since they implemented it, and then every summer they change it again so it's totally different again the next year. It's awful.

Good. I get a little defensive for all IT because I know the perception can be that we're all id10t's but that's the nature of the business. You try this and if it doesn't work you try that and you continue on till you get a recipe that finally resolves the issue. Or you give up and format the drive and start fresh. Believe me, I've done that. When it's day 2 or 3 and I'm no closer to resolving something, that ends up being the faster way.

As for naming 2 machines the same, I don't even know how they pulled that off 'cause I tried it the other day and immediately got a warning that there was already a computer on the network with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Good. I get a little defensive for all IT because I know the perception can be that we're all id10t's but that's the nature of the business. You try this and if it doesn't work you try that and you continue on till you get a recipe that finally resolves the issue. Or you give up and format the drive and start fresh. Believe me, I've done that. When it's day 2 or 3 and I'm no closer to resolving something, that ends up being the faster way.

As for naming 2 machines the same, I don't even know how they pulled that off 'cause I tried it the other day and immediately got a warning that there was already a computer on the network with that name.
    Really, that's pretty much what we do in therapy, too! Try this, see if it works. If not, try something else. If the child gets better, we just hope it's related to something we did. Not really so different! I always thought I would make a great computer programmer, but that wasn't a job I ever wanted at the end of the day.

I think about being a computer programmer too. They say it's like learning a 2nd language and the best years to do that are when you're really young (middle school, if not elementary school). I don't know if I could learn it well now, but then I remember I did know a LOT when I was a kid so maybe I have the fundamentals...enough to do a decent job. Who knows? I know I'd love the challenge, and later the satisfaction, of making it work. What I'm not sure I'd relish is the time alone. :/ I'm pretty social and I like interacting with my users face to face.

I'm not particularly social, but I enjoy socializing a lot at work - with kids, families, and my coworkers. That fills me up and I really don't need much more socialization after I get home most of the time. Except for internet socializing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I'm not particularly social, but I enjoy socializing a lot at work - with kids, families, and my coworkers. That fills me up and I really don't need much more socialization after I get home most of the time. Except for internet socializing!
    Of course!

And actually, that's how I am too. I like to go out occasionally, but most the time I'm content to be at home.

I'm literally crying with laughter...as you may remember, I let Conner play some games online that are 'live' and played with other users. They can't talk to each other, but there's a chat room on the main page. Conner found it and was 'typing' to his fellow gamers stuff like, "akdfao;ivnoringlasndfjvorunverng;a" all over the place. That was funny enough, but when I saw, "wtf?" and "Are you trying to say something?" I nearly wet my pants laughing. omg-I haven't laughed so hard in a loooonnnngggg time!

Too cute. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Kate, have you asked them point blank what the point of having you write the kids up is if they're not going to do anything about it?
    No, but I figured out by going in today that they get concerned when they feel that someone's safety is in danger. They took my concern for the threat of violence pretty seriously.

Chrissy, I did enough programming during grad school to know that I'd rather stick my finger in a socket instead. Troubleshooting code, especially someone else's code, is an absolute nightmare.

Chrissy, I feel your pain to some degree because I work in research and development in a lab for a biotech company. My entire job is try this, oops that didn't work, let's try this. Oh, that looked good for 3 days and then died, let's try something else. All under enormous time pressure to get new products out the door. It's wicked fun! ha!
    AKA Lisa724