Page 1046 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 46546946996103610441045104610471048105610961146 ... LastLast
Results 31,351 to 31,380 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #31351
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    Sounds like she is having fun playing with words and sounds. I would encourage that with lots of rhyme play and other word and sound play. Those are really good pre-reading skills. Is she exposed to more than one language? Often kids who are start to learn the flexibility of words and sounds at a younger age than monolingual kids. Either way, I'm not worried about it given that she communicates well.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  2. #31352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    In a kid like Red where you think there is an emotional issue I would do lots of talking and thinking through scenarios - but in the case of just liking to bully I think the only thing that really makes a difference is consequences. I know you said nothing really happens when you write them up. That ends up putting you in a bad spot. Wish I could help more.
    Yeah. I just don't understand bullying. How can it be fun to make fun of a kid who's like, 5 years younger, to make fun of hair color, which I have kind of discouraged them from, because I have reddish hair too and I always pull the pouty face when they start making fun of Red for his red hair. It makes them laugh and they say "Oh she looks sad, I can't make fun of their hair anymore". Where did that "ginger" comment originate, anyway?

    I mean, I can joke about the red hair comments but when they start in on more vicious comments and they don't let up, I mean, I was close to tears today. I just keep thinking about how he has it hard at home, hard at school, and I wonder, does he get any relief? Am I the only one who doesn't pick on him? (from what I hear, his foster mom is not really nice. I hope she's not bad to him )

    I try to joke with them, talk to them about the things they talk about, so they can kind of feel like I'm on their side, too. But I definitely feel protective of Red.

  3. #31353

    Default

    that is so sad Kate, I don't know what else you can do. What age are the kids?

    I think the ginger term started on South Park?
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

  4. #31354
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Sounds like she is having fun playing with words and sounds. I would encourage that with lots of rhyme play and other word and sound play. Those are really good pre-reading skills. Is she exposed to more than one language? Often kids who are start to learn the flexibility of words and sounds at a younger age than monolingual kids. Either way, I'm not worried about it given that she communicates well.
    Thanks! Yes, she's multilingual. I wasn't sure I should be encouraging talking in nonsensical sounds, although she is definitely having fun with it.

  5. #31355
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    That's so sad. That 's good they recognized that you don't like the red hair comments, thou. Maybe helping them to understand how people feel when they hear rude comments? They probably do know.

    DH and I first heard ginger on South Park! I think it came from Britain, but South Park made it known here.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  6. #31356
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I try to joke with them, talk to them about the things they talk about, so they can kind of feel like I'm on their side, too. But I definitely feel protective of Red.
    How sad for Red. I think I would continue being his special friend. Really, it only takes one person to make you feel like you're valuable to get through some rough times. I know from experience. You may never know the real impact you have in his life but I bet he's glad to have you.

    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    that is so sad Kate, I don't know what else you can do. What age are the kids?

    I think the ginger term started on South Park?
    Goodness no, ginger has been around my whole life. I have no clue where it started.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  7. #31357

    Default

    Red is 13, I think C and J are 16-17? I know C is talking about his dad buying him a car soon.

  8. #31358
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Thanks! Yes, she's multilingual. I wasn't sure I should be encouraging talking in nonsensical sounds, although she is definitely having fun with it.
    Thought so. yes, encourage it! It's a very good thing.

    By the way, have you seen this blog? You should check it out. http://beingmultilingual.blogspot.com/
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  9. #31359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    How sad for Red. I think I would continue being his special friend. Really, it only takes one person to make you feel like you're valuable to get through some rough times. I know from experience. You may never know the real impact you have in his life but I bet he's glad to have you.



    Goodness no, ginger has been around my whole life. I have no clue where it started.

    I thought it was a recent thing too. I remember that it was a thing on South Park for a while. That's probably where they're getting it from, even if it was around before that.

  10. #31360
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    16-17 is a really tough age. They start to not really care about authority...and they don't care. I don't think they intend to be hurtful at that age, but instead they think they're being funny. They don't fully realize how bad they're hurting someone else's feelings.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  11. #31361
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    16-17 is a really tough age. They start to not really care about authority...and they don't care. I don't think they intend to be hurtful at that age, but instead they think they're being funny. They don't fully realize how bad they're hurting someone else's feelings.
    ita.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  12. #31362

    Default

    That makes me so sad for Red! I agree with Chrissy that having you around is probably really good for him. Those other boys, though. I'd probably gave to get pissy with them. What if you just said, "Hey, knock it off!"

  13. #31363
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    That makes me so sad for Red! I agree with Chrissy that having you around is probably really good for him. Those other boys, though. I'd probably gave to get pissy with them. What if you just said, "Hey, knock it off!"
    They'd probably mock Kate and imitate her voice, making it whiny and saym "Heck, knock it off!" back at her.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  14. #31364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    They'd probably mock Kate and imitate her voice, making it whiny and saym "Heck, knock it off!" back at her.
    LOL! Yeah they do things like that, or they totally ignore me. Or they'll slip in one more comment, and Red will yell at them, and it starts all over.

  15. #31365
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL! Yeah they do things like that, or they totally ignore me. Or they'll slip in one more comment, and Red will yell at them, and it starts all over.
    Sounds like a car ride with all 3 of my girls. :-)

    ....but now Conner pipes up and adds his two cents. My personal favorite is, "Oh shut up!"

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  16. #31366

    Default

    LOL Chrissy, that's what Josh likes to say to Bo.

    I forgot to tell the dressing room story yesterday! Why do the funniest conversations go on in dressing rooms?

    I was trying on some corset-type thingies the other day with Josh. I hadn't even taken off my bra, but he said "Mom, remember how you said boys don't have boobies?" The woman in the room next to me started laughing, and I paused and said "Yes..." And he lifted up his shirt, poked his nipples and said, "Well they do! They just don't have the lumps!"

    I think it might be time to leave Josh with someone else while I go clothes shopping...

  17. #31367
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    He's such a cutie! Too funny!

    I stopped changing in front of Conner when he told me my boobies were awesome.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  18. #31368
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Totally SCUBJA'ing!

    I hate the term ginger....

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I stopped changing in front of Conner when he told me my boobies were awesome.
    I love Conner

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  19. #31369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    He's such a cutie! Too funny!

    I stopped changing in front of Conner when he told me my boobies were awesome.
    Was that before or after the boob job?

  20. #31370
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,741

    Default

    One of my aunts stopped bathing with her daughter when she described, in vivid detail, what her mom looked like nekkid. To visiting guests. She was around 3 at the time.

  21. #31371

    Default

    Lol!!

  22. #31372
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL Chrissy, that's what Josh likes to say to Bo.

    I forgot to tell the dressing room story yesterday! Why do the funniest conversations go on in dressing rooms?

    I was trying on some corset-type thingies the other day with Josh. I hadn't even taken off my bra, but he said "Mom, remember how you said boys don't have boobies?" The woman in the room next to me started laughing, and I paused and said "Yes..." And he lifted up his shirt, poked his nipples and said, "Well they do! They just don't have the lumps!"

    I think it might be time to leave Josh with someone else while I go clothes shopping...
    Bwahahaha! Too funny!

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Was that before or after the boob job?
    I was going to ask the same question!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  23. #31373
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    It was after

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  24. #31374
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    That's even funnier! LOL
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  25. #31375

    Default

    Totally funnier.

    Big time tmi but I used to shave completely and have since stopped. So the last time Kai saw me naked as he passed by me in the shower on the way to the potty he yelled, "DAD! Mom finally grew hair on her penis!"

    We ALL laughed so so so hard about that the whole rest of the evening. I can't believe I shared that. I might come back and delete it. lol
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.

  26. #31376
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    bwahahaha!! That's hilarious!!

    I don't think it's anything to be embarrassed about. I prefer mine shaved, but i'm too lazy to keep up on it constantly so Conner's used to seeing it both ways.

    There, now we both have it all out there

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  27. #31377
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,641

    Default

    I'm dying over here! Bwahahahaha!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  28. #31378
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,741

    Default

    Mira has given me looks, but never asked. I know it's coming.

  29. #31379

    Default

    Aw Bridget, Kai must have been so proud of you, finally growing hair down there!

  30. #31380

    Default

    I am dying over here! Yes, he seemed very impressed.

    Sawyer is puking now. I thought we were in the clear. Kai is still healthy. He used to be the first to catch everything that came through here. The last go round was a bad cough/cold and he was the only one that didn't get it out of daycare kids and siblings. Gluten free baby.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •