Page 1045 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 45 545 945 995 103510431044104510461047 1055 1095 1145 ... LastLast
Results 31,321 to 31,350 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I get a little glum sometimes that I'm not more social. I mean I don't consider anyone I know from church a real friend or anything. I honestly was very surprised that my name came up for that committee. I feel like most people probably don't know who I am.

I'm glad you had some time with a good friend yesterday. I think sometimes that's all we need, just a close friend or two who really gets you.

Poor Savana Hoping she is feeling better now.

We had a fish fry the other night, I did the flour and egg first then panko breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese added. I have a stainless steel frying pan, but I do have to use a lot of oil. It's one meal that I am pretty much guaranteed G will eat. Just bread it, and he will eat it!!!

I too wish I were more social, but really I am a homebody. G has had the sniffles/cough this week, so we stayed home all week. We played outside, but we don't go anywhere in the car. I was a little stir crazy. We did get out today though. there was a party at dh's workplace. G and I have the perfect relationship, he eats the frosting, and I eat the cake, lol

Kate, glad you had a good time seeing Joel McHale. last night while watching The Soup, I told dh hey I know someone who is seeing Joel tonight!
    Last edited by raspberry; 04-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

The way we fry fish is totally different. It's just seasoning, and nothing else. In my case, a little garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. As long as the oil is properly heated first, nothing ever sticks.

I used to be overly social so I'm over it for now but I am sure that in a few years I'll be ready to be social again.

I am feeling so emotional today. Savana just lay in my bed all day long. She told me that her stomach hurt so bad at school and she felt horrible and didn't know what to do because she told her teacher three times, and the reading teacher that her stomach hurt and they just told her to wait it out. She told me at one point in the day it hurt so bad that she raised her hand to tell someone and noone called on her We talked about how maybe Miss S thought it would go away since she has complained of tummy aches before at school that went away. So I suggested that maybe she could have a certain word she could use to tell Miss S that she really felt like she needed to go home. She told me she wants the secret code to be "dark star". But that she wants me to tell Miss S because Miss S "laughs a lot when I tell her things and it embarrasses me." I explained to her that sometimes people laugh when they are delighted about something someone has said and it doesn't always mean they thought it was funny.
    Anyway, the whole conversation just made me so sad. Thinking about her sitting in class with a horrible stomach ache that released at home coming out both ends and she was just holding that all in at school How stressful!! And her thinking that he teacher is laughing at her. Ugh. See! I'm a mess right now I'm tearing up writing this.
    So do you think Miss S is going to think I am some kind of loony when I send her the email about "dark star".
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-28-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    So do you think Miss S is going to think I am some kind of loony when I send her the email about "dark star".
    Frankly, I wouldn't care if she did think I was loony because I'd be pissed as all get out that my daughter said her belly hurt 3 times and she was essentially ignored. I know kids say stuff for attention, but given that a classmate just passed away I'd think that they would be a little more empathetic to those complaints and allow the kids to go to the nurse, or at least call a parent about it.

We just came back from the redneck party. It was a hoot. omg-I forget how crass they can be but it was hilarious. My girls didn't stay long (for which I was grateful-we would have had to leave if they'd stayed). It was all in good fun though...men were hitting on women in front of their husbands and saying things that made me blush. I haven't been in that kind of environment in a long time. Everyone-even the husbands-were laughing. The one guy said, "Be sure to bring my wife back dirty" I don't know-it was awful but hysterical at the same time. I can take it in limited doses. It's certainly not somewhere I'd want to be on a regular basis. I think I was a teenager or maybe in my early 20's since I was around that kind of people.

They had 3 trailers in a row (old ones, from the 70's & 80's) and have all this land. All 3 of the trailers are inhabited (owned? rented? dunno) by family members. I think some women have lived with one guy and another in each trailer. They had 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, a bon fire and more alcohol that I'd seen in 3 bars put together. It was a truly redneck party. One girl stood out-she was model gorgeous with impeccable makeup and stylish clothes. I kept looking at her because she didn't fit in at all. Then she smiled. She was missing teeth. Plural.

Armchair psychologist me sad in a campfire chair sipping Busch beer (blech!) and thinking about the sociology at play there. They're my brother's friends. Most had heard Tim had a sister but hadn't met me. They couldn't believe I was his sister.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I have to say that we were invited by Tim's best buddy and even though he's as redneck in every sense of the word as anyone that I've ever met, he's also a huge sweetheart. I don't mean he's a bigot or racist, but he's talked seriously about putting his pet turkey on a leash and taking him to a bar. He decided once he didn't want his camper any more and he lit it on fire. That kind of redneck. But man, when people talk about someone that would give the shirt of their back for anyone, that would be Donny. When he invited us I thought for a split second and said, why not? He's a great guy. I'm glad we went.

Chrissy, that sounds like fun. And sort of like some of my family members! lol. See, I think I could hang out at that party too. I'm not easily offended.

I am trying to give her teacher the benefit of the doubt. I guess it's probably been a tough week for her, losing one of her students who I am sure she loved dearly. Although I did send her an email right when I found out to extend my sympathy and also to please not hesitate to call me if Savana seemed to struggle with it. I do feel that in light of the events, even a stress tummy ache for a kindy child requires a call to mama.

I'm glad you had a good time Chrissy!

Bridget I'm so sad that Savana had to deal with a tummy ache at school. That's not easy for even adults to feel sick at work or in a class. I hope her teacher is not really laughing at her. I know that sometimes kids say cute or funny things in all seriousness and it confuses them when someone laughs. That happens with Josh sometimes and when I laugh he says "No, really! I'm serious."

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, that party sounds like a lot of fun. I have gone to a bunch of parties where I have been out of place for some reason or another (the naked pudding wrestling party, the fight club party, the pimps and ho's party, the lingerie party, the dirtbike party, hippie parties of all kinds, biker parties, etc) but usually after the initial discomfort wears off and as long as I'm not in imminent danger, I usually find that most people are pretty nice and want to be friendly. Unless they are not nice and don't want to be friendly, but those people are pretty easy to pick out, and those parties usually have a vibe and if possible it's better to just leave.

Bridget, that is really awful (especially in my stress about my soon-to-be-entering-kindergarten kids) that the teacher ignored Savana's completely real distress, whether or not it came from a physical illness or not. I don't know how much my children would speak up after repeatedly being shut down from an authority figure if they had something going wrong with them. *Shudder* I hope she gets better soon, and I would think this warrants a gentle discussion with the teacher about how sick she was, and how you might need to look over the policy for sick kids, and even if she was worried about disturbing you at home, you would certainly rather have her err on the side of calling you rather than not calling.

We had another night of all three kids wailing at once. I actually got them to stop crying by getting them to do housework. I told S. that he made a puddle on the floor by lying there and sobbing, and I'd appreciate it if he cleaned it up. I gave him a paper towel, and he stopped crying and started mopping. DS was in the bedroom crying because DH wouldn't read him a book during dinner time, and DH was consoling him. I took the laundry out of the dryer and asked DS to help DH put it away because he didn't know where everything went. It made him happy to be in the position of an instructor. And DD was crying also and I asked her to wipe up the dining room table and then go sweep. She loved it. It's funny, because doing housework doesn't really make me stop crying.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    It's funny, because doing housework doesn't really make me stop crying.
    Me either L. How cute though.

We had a pretty big breakthrough here yesterday with Conner. He's always given me a hard time when I take him shopping, so most Saturdays he stays home. I'll try to take him once every 2-3 months, but sometimes he's so out of control I have to call Rich to come get him. So of course shopping trips with Conner became anxiety inducing events for me, which probably exacerbated Conner's behavior. But ANYWAY...long story short, I took him yesterday and he did so well. He rode in the basket at Walmart, didn't bug for stuff, and was very sweet and polite. At Aldis (our grocery store) he road in the basket until there was no more room and when he got out he helped me. He put things in the basket, worked really fast to unload the cart, and then even filled his own bags after we checked out. I told him he did a great job and I was very proud of him and he said, "I know. I helped. Mommy, I'm learning!" He was so proud of himself. It brought tears to my eyes. Mushy mommy moment.

Aw that is so sweet of Conner! I remember when Ky stopped acting loony in stores as well and it was a big load off of me.

I feel so bad for Savana being sick in school and the teacher not listening. I would have probably been so angry. I have had issues with Ky's teachers before about them not listening to him when other kids are bothering him and I have had to go over their heads to the principal. But we have a very, I'll say touchy feely school and our principal is the main one who wants to make sure the kids are listened to. I like that he is that way and am grateful that he will call us personally if Ky is having any sort of issues. Ky is also sensitive and can be emotional and I feel that Mr. D looks out for him as he knows him so well. All the kids at school love Mr. D. It is so strange that they would not listen to Savanna, especially since the loss of the child in her class. I agree with Chrissy in that she may have been having stress about that and it could have contributed to her getting ill.

I mentioned earlier a classmate of mine died in high school. He was a longtime friend as his family and mine were close. He was also one of the most popular guys in schools because he was so funny and goofy, he was also really cute, and was an athelete, he was very much loved. We had a team of counselors at school and if any student said they didn't feel well or were sick or just had tears in their eyes, they were told to go home. I do think some kids probably took advantage of it, especially those who went on the local news crying and such who didn't know him and got to get a few days out of school to deal with their grief. I do think it may have caused them angst but at the time I remember being upset and feeling like they were using his death to get out of school. Even so I was happy that the school was very attentive to us at that time, really they were attentive to us for the whole rest of the school year, we had extra counselors and everything. I would think they would do more for younger children who may not have a concept of death and who would be so confused about the death of a classmate.

In regards to the fish, do you dip your fish in egg before battering it? We have 3 stations anytime we fry something with batter - flour, egg, batter. Basically I flour the fish lightly, dip in in an egg/water mixture, then dip it into a batter (usually panko and parmesan for fish) then fry in a pan where the oil is the right temperature. If the oil is not hot, then it will stick to the pan. I only fry in cast iron skillets/pans that were my great grandma's. The old black ones. I don't know if they are seasoned or not, but the only time anything sticks to them is when I don't heat the oil up to the right temperature. I had issues with having batter stick to the fish before, basically all the batter would leave the fish and just get cooked in the pan separately.

Erin

Next time I will do the flour/egg dipping. I made a beer batter so just mixed it all with beer and it was thick batter that stuck to the fish just fine until it did what you said, Erin, and cooked in the pan all by itself.

The more I think about Savana being sick and ignored, the more it upsets me. She knew I was picking her up early on friday and she said she just kept watching the door to her class, hoping and hoping I would get there. That really bothers me. She came grocery shopping with me this morning and ate a big lunch so she is much better but now taking a nap so I know she is still feeling rundown. I will probably keep her home tomorrow even though she's not throwing up or feverish anymore, just so she doesn't have to deal with loose stools at school.

Dbf really upset me this morning. Every once in awhile he gets a bug up his ass and starts organizing kitchen cupboards, or the laundry room, both of which he did this morning. I would be so thankful except he grumbles about it the whole time and makes very rude comments about how "ridiculous" it is and how unorganized "it" is (meaning me). It pisses me off because I feel he puts no value on my role in our family. He doesn't realize that when he sets out to do something he can just do it. I never have that freedom because I tend to the children. They don't even come to him for a simple glass of water. Even if he is in the same room as them they come to me for everything. I'm so busy all the time so I won't apologize for not putting "organize the laundry room" at the top of my list.

Bridget, I'd be livid! I hope you get a positive response from her teachers. DH can also be like your SO, complaining about how the house isn't picked up, or how he can't have people over because the house isn't up to his standards, or whatever. Yet, he won't lift a finger to get the house into whatever shape he finds acceptable. For some reason, he "works", and therefore doesn't have to do anything around the house, but I also work, take care of the kid, stay up nights with her, and do pretty much all the work in the house, none of which counts for anything, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Bridget, I'd be livid! I hope you get a positive response from her teachers. DH can also be like your SO, complaining about how the house isn't picked up, or how he can't have people over because the house isn't up to his standards, or whatever. Yet, he won't lift a finger to get the house into whatever shape he finds acceptable. For some reason, he "works", and therefore doesn't have to do anything around the house, but I also work, take care of the kid, stay up nights with her, and do pretty much all the work in the house, none of which counts for anything, sometimes.
    Yup. And he wouldn't admit this but I know his mind he thinks that because he makes more money than me, he doesn't have to do anything else. Even though my work is longer hours and more labor intense.

I just sent her teacher an email. I don't feel angry with her. I think that Savana has probably complained of having a tummy ache several times before and it was just from nervous jitters. Although, I think it's pretty easy to figure out exactly the problem just by asking the child a few simple questions. But I made it clear that if Savana ever complains about anything to ask her, "Do you want me to call your mom?". And whatever Savana says, that is what we do. I trust her.

That sounds like a good solution Bridget.

Syd & I went roller skating :-) She's hardly been in her life but she does really well. She skated for a mile, I did a mile and a half. Her wheel started to lock up (needs oil) so she got nervous and took them off after a mile. We wanted to do 2 miles and hopefully soon will be doing the whole 4. We use quad skates, not roller blades. We kick it old school lol

at your dbf Bridget. People who grumble while they work annoy the h3ll out of me. My mom used to get in moods and my sister does it too, where they slam things around loudly while cleaning. I remember when i was a kid it made me so nervous to hear.

I wish I could roller skate! I have no sense of balance and fall all over the place when I try. I had a roommate who roller skating around our house for a month or two straight in college. She'd just get home a put on her skates, then make dinner and clean in them, or get ready to go out. It was an old place with hardwoods everywhere.

---
    So today was terrible. I got 4 hours of sleep (again) and woke up crabby and out of it. Pregnancy insomnia is kicking my butt. DH and I decided to clean the backyard and patio (mow/trim/fertilizer, water plants, power wash the patio, and sweep) because our kitties seemed to be kind of smelly lately (they are outdoor cats). I told DH I'd give the kitties a bath, in case they got into something. I bathed Frannie and towel dried her inside in the kitchen sink, with plans to bleach it out after. I couldn't lean over the tub, and the hose was too cold, so I didn't have much choice. Then I bathed Matilda, my older kitty. She stunk so bad about a minute into the bath I realized she had matted poop all over her rear end. I had to send Abbey outside to wave down DH and bring him in to help, since I suddenly remembered I wasn't supposed to be anywhere near cat poop.
    He came in and finished washing her about 5 times but I had to hold her down. Then he took her and toweled her off and I bleached the cr*p out of the sink and surrounding areas (I loathe messing with bleach), mopped the floors, took a long hot shower with Abbey so we could both get clean. We are finally sitting down and watching TV while eating pizza, but I'm so scared about Toxoplasmosis and I don't know whether to call my OB.

And we missed nap. Hopefully we can all get to bed early tonight, and RLS doesn't keep me up all night.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Bridget, DH is the same way. He'll tackle organizing things and while I'm glad he does it, because I have spatial issues and I look at a bunch of clutter and I don't know what to do with it, he does stuff like put away my things where I'd never think to look for, and throws away things I intended on keeping, all the while commenting on the clutter and how he can't stand it. I can't really complain because I should just take care of it myself, but the way I like to keep things is not at all how DH wants them and we constantly battle over it.

I would call your OB if you're worried, Abbeysmom. I'm sure you're fine, but just for peace of mind. I refused to clean the cats when I was pregnant so I never had a problem.

The church class this morning was a lot of fun. I picked up a bunch of food items that weren't so much weird, but just things you can find anywhere but I thought the kids might not have tried. I got asparagus, avocado, ginger (mostly to smell and then to taste a little), olives, and tofu, and soy sauce and Italian dressing to show how certain things taste better with dressings and sauces. The kids liked almost everything. I was surprised. A couple kids really liked the kalamata olives which are pretty briny. And almost all of them liked the asparagus. Oh, I also bought a cup of Greek yogurt and a cup of regular yogurt to compare them. Most kids like the Greek yogurt better.

Then this afternoon NKOTB/BSB streamed a concert from England live online so I watched that. It was good. Joey...sigh.

I wonder what's wrong with your kitty? It's not normal for them to get poop all over them like that, unless she was recently sick or something. What an exhausting day though!

Kate, I'm glad your kids liked the foods you prepared for them. That's really neat.

After skating, Syd & I went to my grandmother's house to pick up Jesi. She'd been with my cousin Melony and they were going up there so I decided to meet them rather than having Melony bring Jesi all the way back here. I didn't realize it was going to be a family dinner type thing and ended up seeing some aunts/cousins and their kids that I haven't seen in years. Actually, the one baby (about a year?) I've never met. I realized how secluded away from everyone I've made myself. I'm wondering if I should rethink things. We had a great time. My one aunt (Ellen) is only 11 years older than me and we used to be very close. She recently bought a house and was talking about remodeling and mentioned there's a place about an hour away from us where you can buy brand new home improvement items for cheap-like a jet tub is $300. We're going to go together some time really soon.

That's cool Chrissy!

My DH used to be like that as well when I was a SAHM, thinking that since I didn't make that much money (I did work from home doing customer service and some bookkeeping so I made a little bit) and he made the majority of the income that he didn't have to do anything.

He once even told me he "paid the cost to be the boss." And I literally burst out laughing, like tears sprung from eyes when he said that, it was hilarious to me but it did anger me. It made him angry that I laughed but we talked about it and he actually admitted that he thinks I should do all the household stuff because I am a woman and that it is woman's work to do that sort of thing. This was after I reminded him that whenever I work fulltime I make more money that him and I have never insinuated that what he does is any more or less than what I do. I felt that his feelings about "woman's work" were his true feelings so I left it at that even though I did tell him how disappointing it was to have a husband with antique views on housework and that it made him smaller in my eyes.

It is still one of my biggest issues with him that I chose not to focus on but it does come up every once in a while. He now tries to say that he doesn't think that it is always women's work, just that he shouldn't have to do everything I do all the time because he is a man, which I think is the same dam thing so I just repeat what I initially told him and leave it at that since I know I say and do a lot of crap for reasons he doesn't like or doesn't agree with and I just don't want to make it more of an issue than it needs to be. If it comes to it, I'd rather just hire someone to come and clean than argue with him about cleaning. Luckily when he does clean/organize something, he doesn't b!tch about it. Usually he only does when he knows his family is coming to visit, he'll clean a particular room and when they come he'll tell them that whatever room isn't spic and span is because I'm a horrible housewife. I will then tell them how much I work (I work more than he does and make more money than he does) at work and at home and then he'll get the evil eye from his family, who are really a bunch of nice old ladies and men who think that everyone should pitch in to make a house a home.

Erin

this is one area where I'm really lucky. Rich is excellent about helping out around the house, even doing the laundry for Conner, himself, the towels and/or bedding as needed. I don't even have to ask him to do it. I'll go in our room and see our bed stripped because he just takes it upon himself to do it. He takes out the garbage, has always put the seat down on the toilet...I really have no complaints in this department at all. The times when he didn't work (years ago) our house would be spotless. He's the kind that will move the couch to vacuum under & behind it. Like every week. I won't even do that. I do it every 4-6 months & figure that's good enough lol

My kids are ok with being away from me during the day (I work full time), but bedtime is an entirely different story. M is ok now that she's older, but A has a hard time if I'm not there. I'm ok with that though, they are only little for a little while.
    AKA Lisa724

I hope that the teacher only thought that it was a little I'm nervous kind of stomach ache. I would tell Savana that if she has that kind of stomach, a really bad one, just to tell teacher I think I'm going to throw up. I bet that would get her sent to the nurses office (if they even still have a school nurse?).

Wow on the roller skating. I'm so uncoordinated so putting me on wheels is not a good idea.

There should be more hours in a weekend.....I always have a huge list of stuff I want to get done and only some does. I do factor in my list things like relaxing though!

I'm lucky too in that my DH takes it upon himself all the time to clean up stuff. But his mom raised him to help around the house. The only thing she did was his laundry....he jokes it was like having a laundry fairy as his clothes went in the chute and magically appeared clean and folded on his bed. I do all the laundry now.....but I don't want him touching my clothes and accidently ruining something so I don't mind that....and it doesn't make sense to do extra loads if we each did our own. And he will help some with folding and putting his away.
    I do get muttering and swearing some when we are trying to do something handy, like change the oil in the snowblower or put furniture together. Favorite phrase is I hate this sh**.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I do get muttering and swearing some when we are trying to do something handy, like change the oil in the snowblower or put furniture together. Favorite phrase is I hate this sh**.
    Mine is god**** it!

I used to roller skate a lot when I was a kid/teen. I'm not as good as I was then, but I can manage pretty well. It's almost like riding a bicycle.

I should drag out my rollerblades, it's such great exercise!
    AKA Lisa724

That is a good phrase too!

Umm, I was never all that great at riding a bike either. I mean I finally got it when I was 7 and can do it but yeah, not a strong suit for me. I don't know if I have really ridden one since I got my car at 16.

Started prepping my garden over the weekend. Got all the weeds pulled out and added some extra dirt. Maybe I can get some veggies out of it this year. Stupid deer ate a lot of it last year but I did get a few things from it. DH got some strawberries and wants to plant those in the field behind us (farmer doesn't go all the way to our property.....there is a zone of basically wild flowers). Probably animals will eat all those too. Would love to fence in the yard but not sure it's totally allowed (developer went under...can have fences but supposed to get approval)...my neighbor put in one. But I don't have the funds for it anyway.

Kept on the diet better than I thought I would over the weekend. Not as good as during the week but better than normal. Took off Saturday from exercise as I needed it. Last night was up to 15:30 on the elliptical....when I started wednesday I was at 11 minutes. Had to eat in front of the TV last night (table was full of my scrapbook stuff as I was making mom's day cards).....and realized that it's true that we both definitely eat more in front of the TV.
    Checked on the Wii Fit....and from last time I was on (been a while, a month or two maybe?), I'm down 2.9 lbs. I should have went on before class last week so I had a better starting point. Will be interesting to see what it is in class Wednesday.

And dang did my grocery shop go up. I mean I was buying fruits and veggies before (plus usually $20 on alcohol)....this week was no alcohol and more fruits and veggies than normal....but they are starting to come into season a little. And it was $160. This was NO paper products or cleaners. It was lean meats, fruits and veggies, a bit of dairy, some spices. Not much proccessed in there (microwave popcorn, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It's so discouraging to me how expensive eating healthy really is. But it sounds like you're really doing a great job Jennifer! Keep it up!

I need to do something more active besides skating on Sundays (Syd's idea). I really should run again...doing it once every couple weeks isn't going to do much good.

DH cleans without being asked, but to a fault. I mentioned before that when he cleans, everything must be put away and if I can't see something then I have no idea where it is. Being short with a tall husband doesn't help; he puts a lot of things away over my head where I don't think to look.

I wanted to ask you guys how you would (or do) deal with bullying. Especially if they weren't your children. The situation on the bus-I want to say something but I don't know how to approach it. They almost made Red cry today. It's not entirely their fault, he does antagonize them sometimes. But I get the feeling Red has some emotional issues and lashes out because of that whereas C and J seem to have a pretty good handle on their behavior and just like to bully.

In a kid like Red where you think there is an emotional issue I would do lots of talking and thinking through scenarios - but in the case of just liking to bully I think the only thing that really makes a difference is consequences. I know you said nothing really happens when you write them up. That ends up putting you in a bad spot. Wish I could help more.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy, I have a question for you. Mira has taken to talking in gibberish. She'd run up to me and start talking in made up words, I'd talk back in gibberish, and we'd go back and forth. Depending on how the sounds turn out, she'd sometimes laugh, repeat sounds, etc. She also sings nursery rhymes in gibberish as well as in tunes I don't recognize (she also does this with words, using her own words to substitute for the words in the rhyme, and singing with real words tunes I don't know - when she substitutes words, they usually make sense in terms of telling a story or a coherent thought). What's up with that?