Page 979 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 479879929969977978979980981989102910791479 ... LastLast
Results 29,341 to 29,370 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I might be the kind people don't want to associate with lol It's fine by me. I know I'm happy with my life and my kids are good...so that's all that's really important.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I didn't swear in front of my parents until I was a married woman and a mouse fell out of the light fixture in my first apartment when they were visiting. My mom was chasing it with a broom and I had a bucket and caught the sucker by his tail.

I absolutely do NOT swear at work...totally unprofessional. At home, sometimes. Dh can have a bit of a potty mouth as does his mom but I have never seen them say anything around kids. To me there are levels of bad words. As a kid I couldn't even say crap or whatever to my parents.

Side note but recently read (while looking up something else at work) that if you swear when you stub your toe it actually reduces pain....but only if you don't constantly swear. If you use those words a lot, it isn't effective.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I didn't swear in front of my parents until I was a married woman and a mouse fell out of the light fixture in my first apartment when they were visiting. My mom was chasing it with a broom and I had a bucket and caught the sucker by his tail.

I absolutely do NOT swear at work...totally unprofessional. At home, sometimes. Dh can have a bit of a potty mouth as does his mom but I have never seen them say anything around kids. To me there are levels of bad words. As a kid I couldn't even say crap or whatever to my parents.

Side note but recently read (while looking up something else at work) that if you swear when you stub your toe it actually reduces pain....but only if you don't constantly swear. If you use those words a lot, it isn't effective.
    They were talking about this at work. Apparently Mythbusters 'proved' it was true. I'm sad I missed that episode.

I affectionately call my former boss, John, Ass. He laughs at me.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I might be the kind people don't want to associate with lol
    LOL! No, I really mean that this is the sort of people you don't want to associate with. Just to give you an idea, a woman alone (or even a group of women) would not be safe with the men. Women who swear are exceedingly rare, and the ones that do tend to be "working girls".

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    LOL! No, I really mean that this is the sort of people you don't want to associate with. Just to give you an idea, a woman alone (or even a group of women) would not be safe with the men. Women who swear are exceedingly rare, and the ones that do tend to be "working girls".

I don't think I swear a lot, but I don't really pay that much attention when I do. Now I'm curious. I know I swear a lot on APA. More than irl. I think it's 'cause it's supposed to be against the rules. I have a little oppositional defiant disorder, adult onset!

I'll admit I'm not a Metallica fan. I don't dislike them. I just never got into their music, and besides that, I've never been able to take them seriously since Ben Stiller parodied them on his show.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    People are shocked when I curse as well since I usually do not curse, mostly due to being a mom and not wanting my kids dropping the f-bomb at me. I am one of those people who doesn't think it's cute when a kid says "F you Mom!" I know kids who talk like this to their parents and they laugh about it. The parents themselves curse a lot in front of the kids so I figure that I don't want my kids cursing at me so I don't curse at or around them.

Like you Jen, a lot of people think I am religious from the way I carry myself I guess. People think I am "saved" very evangelical and it is funny to me that they think that of me. I think mostly because I don't drink or smoke and I rarely do things that people think that non-believers do. I imagine they think we dance around fires and have huge orgies or something, I don't know LOL. People have told me that they initially thought I was "quiet and sweet" and really that is a part of who I am, I think I am a very sweet person and most of the time I am quiet but I also am pretty raunchy, even DH says he was surprised when we first met, he was a sex buddy that developed into a relationship and he knew me initially from work so thought like the rest of them that I was nice and sweet and demure, not an opinionated, loudmouthed, non-believing freak (a freak in more ways than one).
    This is me too. And I'm pretty talkative, but here in TX I keep my mouth shut until I get to know someone because I don't like to engage people in political or religious conversations IRL, especially acquaintances. It's not worth the effort and it usually ends up with them changing their opinion of me (because even though I don't drink/smoke/curse and have a set or morals/ethics I live by, being a 'liberal' non-Christian gets you branded as a bad person by most people out here anyway.

I get lightly teased by my neighborhood mommy friends for not coming to the adults-only Saturday night dinner parties because they are basically an excuse to get your drink on, then I get reproachful looks for not going to church the next day too. I just tell them I've got nothing to repent from the night before.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I don't swear much. DH does and his parents do too, in everyday conversation, so he grew up around it. I've been on his case since day 1 about watching his mouth around Josh. Josh doesn't imitate it often so I guess we're lucky.

I don't participate in religious or political conversations even when I know the person well.
    I had to stick up for us when I was talking about our secular group here. I told him about the religion rooms and how ours was secular and he said oh so it's for the atheists? And I had to explain we weren't just atheists.

Don't know if I told you guys, but my dad had surgery on Saturday because his previous surgery wasn't healing properly, and they had to go into his eye to get out some clots. Now he's under house arrest for 3 weeks, and he isn't supposed to talk a lot either. Poor guy! He's probably the most gregarious person on the planet; this might as well be solitary confinement in a maximum security for him.

Dad was saying that FIL is complaining that his abdominal pain is getting worse instead of better, and now he isn't able to eat or sleep. He hasn't told his kids, so I think I have to talk to his sister and figure out what needs to be done.

I'm not a swearer either. I do mutter things under my breath when I stub a toe or get frustrated. Other people swearing has never bothered me, though, unless it's particularly vulgar.

Chrissy, I'm sorry to hear about another loss in your family. (hugs)

Myles! *gasp* j/k! I love Metallica. For me, they were my band that represented/let out all the teenage anger I had inside. To this day I find it soothing to listen to them when I'm pissed off or want to run really fast.

Don't know if I told you guys, but my dad had surgery on Saturday because his previous surgery wasn't healing properly, and they had to go into his eye to get out some clots. Now he's under house arrest for 3 weeks, and he isn't supposed to talk a lot either. Poor guy! He's probably the most gregarious person on the planet; this might as well be solitary confinement in a maximum security for him.

Dad was saying that FIL is complaining that his abdominal pain is getting worse instead of better, and now he isn't able to eat or sleep. He hasn't told his kids, so I think I have to talk to his sister and figure out what needs to be done.
    I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I like to get my drink on and dance and party, but I don't think I do it often. for a while it worked out where I was going every month, but it's only been twice this year. I didn't ever go out at all until 3 years ago or so, and that was just to keep my sister-in-law company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Like you Jen, a lot of people think I am religious from the way I carry myself I guess. People think I am "saved" very evangelical and it is funny to me that they think that of me. I think mostly because I don't drink or smoke and I rarely do things that people think that non-believers do. I imagine they think we dance around fires and have huge orgies or something, I don't know LOL. People have told me that they initially thought I was "quiet and sweet" and really that is a part of who I am, I think I am a very sweet person and most of the time I am quiet but I also am pretty raunchy, even DH says he was surprised when we first met, he was a sex buddy that developed into a relationship and he knew me initially from work so thought like the rest of them that I was nice and sweet and demure, not an opinionated, loudmouthed, non-believing freak (a freak in more ways than one).
    Erin you KILLL ME

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I'll listen to Metallica. DH used to be a big fan up until around the concert they did with the orchestra was released. They were never really good again after that. But I like a lot of their older stuff.

Oh Suja I am so sorry to hear that I hope he has a speedy recovery

As for swearing... I do. Alot. It's actually dh and I, were both really bad at it. I don't cuss at work (I guess maybe I do, to me crap isn't a cuss word lol) and have been really trying my best not to at home. DH and I both hold each other accountable and it has gotten better since we've started pointing it out when the other does it.

Definitely not something I want Nolan to pick up on

My mil will put the f-word in the middle of syllables. Micro-f'n-wave. But she says the f word full out.

I don't like metallica. Heavy metal is the only music I don't enjoy.
    I swear. Not around my kids of course but put me in a room with my girlfriends and a bottle of wine and I'll drop a few f bombs. I think there is a time and a place for swearing, however. I don't appreciate hearing it at the grocery store or the park and the like.
    Chrissy, I'm sorry Rich's family is being so irrational and insensitive.
    Suja, hope Dad recovers well

Welcome back, Smplyme!

Wow Chrissy we're not that bad!!! My dad is though. I don't think he says a single sentence without dropping the F bomb. Now when I get angry, I get sailor potty mouth-BAD!

thanks Bridget! I stalk all the time, I just hate jumping in the middle of convo's I can't help myself sometimes though, I miss you ladies

So sorry about your dad Suja. I hope he recovers really quickly.

Chrissy your MIL is ridiculous! I always think people who cuss like that are nuts. From your description of her though, nuts may be appropriate.
    ----------------------

I am soo upset right now. DH called me and told me that the baseball coach for Ky's team called him today and told him that because of "flaky" parents, they are going to not have a team, the one that Ky is on. I am so pissed about this.

This is one of the reasons I hate Atlanta, all organizations here are "flaky" to use their own words. I paid over $200 to register Ky for this team at the beginning of February and they just now tell me this after I promised him he could play this year. He has been so excited about it and he even has been doing his chores without me telling him to do them due to me telling him he would have to be responsible about his homework and chores if he wanted to play ball. He is so sensitive, he will probably cry when I tell him this.

I also think it has to do with the fact that they don't want him on their championship team. They created another team for new comers and so Ky got put on that team and it is the one that is disbanded now but they still have their championship team. When I was a kid Little League was about teaching kids to play and this just reaks of "you're not good enough to play" crap. LL is not supposed to cut any kids, all kids are suppose to play and they are supposed to put kids of different experience levels together in order for the more experienced kids to teach the less experienced kids. This is just some BS to me and I am upset for Ky. We could not afford for him to play years ago and he wasn't sure if he was ready to commit last year but has been all gung ho about baseball since last season when I told him if he could commit for 2 years then I would pay for him to be on a team.

ETA: I can't even get him on another team since registration for baseball closes in Jan-Feb before the season starts.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 03-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Erin. How sad for the kids

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I don't appreciate hearing it at the grocery store or the park and the like.
    Me either.

Awww Erin how awful for Ky

Suja, I am sorry to hear your dad will have to suppress his typical enthusiasm to heal up. I hope he heals up well!

Erin, that absolutely stinks. Wow. I wonder if there is some new activity that you hadn't even considered before that could fill the void to replace what he'd been so excited about. I do think it's BS that they made no accomodations for parents whose kids were affected by the disbandment.

Oh, poor Ky!

Erin, I hope you gave them an earful. What a perfectly awful thing to do! Aren't there any other leagues around that you could try?

Definitely good to see you around, Christina. I saw your post about Nolan's 1 year checkup, and it looks awesome! Mira was only 29 1/2" tall and 20 1/2 pounds at her one year checkup. Her two year well visit is coming up; I'm kind of afraid to find out the stats. I *know* she's put on a bunch of weight in the last couple of months, and her HC has always been high, and might be off the charts now. It's a glorious day outside, and I feel like doing nothing productive.

Definitely good to see you around, Christina. I saw your post about Nolan's 1 year checkup, and it looks awesome! Mira was only 29 1/2" tall and 20 1/2 pounds at her one year checkup. Her two year well visit is coming up; I'm kind of afraid to find out the stats. I *know* she's put on a bunch of weight in the last couple of months, and her HC has always been high, and might be off the charts now. It's a glorious day outside, and I feel like doing nothing productive.
    Thanks mama! I was VERY happy with his appointment! The best one we've had in like forever!! He was gaining really rapidly, but over the past couple of months slowed down (since he's been mobile) and now he's starting to shoot upwards! He's looking more and more like a toddler everyday!

I haven't wanted to do anything today. It's been a day full of complicated, give me a headache people. I had a member stand at my station for 20mins and end up doing nothing with me. She was so confused and kept arguing with me after she asked me a question WHILE I was trying to answer her. I mean really if you think you know the answer, why the h*ll are you asking me????? '

On top of that we have to drive to a Regional meeting tonight which means I won't be home til 8:30 or later.... I've only missed bed time one other time, so I am a little worried about it....

I understand the bedtime anxiety. I have given up on having other people put Mira to bed. She's just really stubborn and right now, she'll only go to sleep for me. And that's only because she knows that I won't put up with her BS. We have a business trip coming up in October, and quite honestly, I don't know what we'll do. We're going to let the nanny go in the upcoming weeks, and I'm pretty sure no one else will be around to take care of her between like 4:00 AM and 1:00 PM.

I love Metallica; I had their first CD on in the car tonight on the way to and from zumba....blasting Enter Sandman as I sped along in DH's little sports car. LOL.

I got home and put on Eminem's second CD and washed up to that. LOL. Hmm....I guess I was in the mood for aggressive music tonight after the latin stuff in zumba.

Aw, Erin, I'm sorry about Ky's baseball team. I hope there's some way he can get on another team. That just doesn't seem right that they did that.

I need to try to get Travis booked in to a class of some sort. I'd love to find a gymnastics school to send him to; that boy has some serious moves with doing the splits and tumbles and stuff.

I understand the bedtime anxiety. I have given up on having other people put Mira to bed.
    Us too. Except maybe with his teacher who occasionally babysits for him since she's used to putting him down for nap at school. I've honestly almost given up on me. DH is definitely "The Closer" at bedtime.

My little brother's divorce papers are getting finalized. He's going to tell my parents over the weekend. I know they'll be sad, but I hope they'll understand, and can be supportive. As always, I'll be there to pick up whatever pieces need to be picked up.

It's going to be an interesting summer. I might end up helping him out with his dogs (and possibly end up with one of the cats), and I'll likely be helping out my preggo friend with her horse.

I remember those days! Those little nuances you had to have exactly right that nobody else could duplicate. "Ok first you put him down and keep your hand on him for exactly 10.5 minutes, then you slowly, SLOWLY, lift your hand off him as he is falling asleep. Back away towards the door. There's a creak in the floor right here, make sure you don't step there or you're back to square one. Leave the light on and the door open and do not rush those last few steps to the door or he will definitely wake up. Oh **** it, I'll just stay home."
    Last edited by daylilies; 03-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.