Page 955 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 455855905945953954955956957965100510551455 ... LastLast
Results 28,621 to 28,650 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I feel so silly for coming in and posting only this but just so y'all can laugh at me, I left my house with my cordless handset of my land line in my purse and my cell phone on my desk. Me, frazzled?
    You crack me up! You calendar looked insane though

Kate-congratulations on Bo!!! Josh must be so happy!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL Myles!

Thanks guys! I tried to take some pics earlier but I don't think I got any good ones, because he is constantly moving!

OMG Kate CONGRATS! Josh is going to love his new best friend! Do they have any idea how old Bo is? About how much does he weight? Beagles have a propensity to be piggies so you might have to watch the food. The bag of food should tell you how much to feed him. The better the food, the less you need to feed and the less poo you should get. Cosmo usually goes twice a day...once at waking up and once right after dinner but once in a while she will go another time. I'm guessing Bo is 20-30 lbs...my food says he should be getting 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cup of food a day.....I have been using Taste of the Wild since Thanksgiving.
    I give my girls a serving in the morning and one at night....we are currently free feeding. I had tried to give them their own dishes but having two complicated things and they should be about the same size and eating the same amount. and like right now their dinner serving is just sitting there and only half eaten.

don't be surprised if Bo has an upset tummy or a hard night...it's a big adjustment for him....especially if you are switching foods.

Treats I mostly use milkbones and I buy the mini's because the girls seem to have this idea that they get one whenever someone goes potty...Especially Cosmo seems to them she gets one just because Molly pottied. So I buy the smallest ones I can.
    I do have some other treats called Zukes for training but mostly for Molly.

I highly recommended a class....the place we took Molly gives 25% off the classs if you adopted or rescued. It's a great bonding experience. But see if you can feel out a few local places. Our class teachers are big fans of this guy and this website and use basically his methods. http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...ining-textbook

Does Bo have any training...like does he know sit?

I cannot wait to see pictures of Josh with his Bo.

Did you go shopping and get a kennel and a bunch of toys? I let the girls have rawhides all the time but mine don't eat them until they are gone and seem to not choke on them. Cosmo is only somewhat interested and tends to just tear off pieces and leave them sitting there. Molly chews and gums but she is still teething. Molly LOVES those bones made of rope. They love a ball. Best ones for our size pups are racquetballs....tennis balls work well but Cosmo used to just want to pull off the yellow stuff and I think Molly would do that also. And we have a ton of stuffed toys and some rubber ones like a kong and this one http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag...le/description The waggle we got at Menards. I stuff both ends with their dog food and they seriously love this one. They roll it around and flip it to get it to dispense the dog food. They will get out of this before their dish filled the same thing.

Beagles are one of the best dogs for kids.....and I can totally see that with Molly and the beagle in her.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL thank god for digital cameras! It takes a LOT of pictures for me to get really good ones of the girls. I have a lot of what we joke are crotch shots....because they go and move just as the the picture is being taken. Just wait until he's good and tired tonight.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

He's 30 lbs. I looked at the food and it said the amount you said, but he was trying to eat my food even after I fed him, so I gave him a little more.
    He doesn't know sit although if I have the bag of treats in my hand he'll sit without being asked and look at me expectantly He'll sometimes come when called though. And he and the cats are already getting a little used to each other. They both jumped up on the couch with him tonight and promptly ran off but at least they are getting that close already.
    I got a tennis ball, and a rope thing and a couple squeaky toys. I really didn't know what he'd like. But he was tossing around the ball and the squeaky toys this afternoon. Doesn't seem too interested in tug of war. I wasn't sure what he should play with inside? Anything?
    We have a big crate we used to use to carry all the cats in at once (we had 6 cats at one point). I brought him home in that since the shelter told me that he hasn't traveled crateless in a car yet.

They fed him a mix of donated food at the shelter, so they said it didn't really matter what I feed him. Petco recommended grain free so I got some Natural Balance.

Kate, congratulations! Beagles do tend to be garbage guts, so make sure to feed a measured amount. You can adjust the amount on the basis of body condition. Basically, your dog should have a well defined waist, and you should be able to feel the ribs easily, without poking around, if you run your hands over his side. A little skinny is better than a little heavy. Any treats you feed, subtract from the food, so it all evens out, calorie wise.

Basic training is very important, especially with a kid in the house. Make sure you get him involved, as it is important the dog learns to take direction from him. There are good trainers and not so good trainers. See if you can go see them in action before you sign up. You will get to see first hand how they teach, interact with the humans and dogs, and maybe get a chance to talk to current students as well. One thing I would do is to avoid anyone with a 'one size fits all' type of approach. You want someone with a good enough tool kit they can adjust their methods to suit individual dogs and handlers.

One thing I tell people who want to adopt from us is to maintain a schedule that is more or less the same, especially in the beginning. Dogs thrive on structure. And until you know about his potty training status, take him out frequently. Try to take him out the same door every time; you may find that the dog goes to that door when he wants to go do his business.

I hope it goes well for all of you.

Kate definitely toys in the house! Though you might need to tell Josh not to throw the ball and only roll it inside. If you look at my FB, you see all the toys and kinds we have for the girls. One other thing that both have loved is a fleece throw. I just get a cheap one for $3-5 and it goes in the kennel for sleeping....though they pull it out to play with.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes, my dogs have a bunch of toys and most of them we use indoors. Outside, we have a little football DH likes to throw around with them but inside we have a rope, a honecomb ball, and quite a few stuffed animal squeak toys and a few other balls. With Josh you may want to limit the balls to outside but a good rope and squeak toy is great inside. My dogs weren't interested in the kong but I think they're the only dogs I've ever heard of that don't like it.

It's a good idea to have him sleep in the crate until you know how well he is housetrained. If you put an old t-shirt that smells like you or like Josh in there he may find it both comfy and reassuring.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Kate, just to add to the tips you're getting from everyone, I don't have anything bad to say about Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer). We've only benefited from the advice we've gotten from his show, especially because our big dog was too nervous and distracted to learn when we first got him. Honestly, I took a lot of the things I learned from him (like the fact that dogs are calmed by confident leadership) and adapted them for purposes of raising Bodhi. We are able to get his show On Demand from the Nat Geo HD channel, but for some reason can't get it on the non-HD channel. Go figure.

Do any of you other ladies watch The Dog Whisperer or have opinions about the guy? DH and I are really impressed with him to the point where we're probably not objective, so I'd be interested to hear if people find holes in his approach to training dogs.

We also read a training book by The Monks of New Skeet (they breed German Shepherds). I didn't like the sections devoted to "proper" physical discipline (because we don't), but I liked some ideas we got from them, like always having our dogs on down-stay while we eat our meals. We actually have a threshold at the edge of the dining area in whatever house we live in that they're not allowed to cross while we're eating. I personally find begging dogs a bother - not to criticize others who have different rules with their dogs around food - so I'm happy that we trained that reflex out of them. We credit the Monks for that lesson.
    Last edited by demigraf; 02-22-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Congrats on your new addition! If he likes treats/food, he will be easier to train. I also suggest a basic obedience class. We feed our 65lb lab mix twice a day, morning and when I get home. She gets treats randomly. I just bought her a new toy for the house, it's sort of like a ball on a rope, but the ball part is two pieces of fabric that velcro together with a little velcro pocket in the middle to hide treats in. You put treats in, close all the velcro and then she goes to town pulling it apart to get at the treats.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    And doesn't it make you want to cry? I've realized the importance of having good snacks. I'm already putting together a fantasy list of yummy diversions I'll pick up tonight on a trip to my local market.
    I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I do cry! Every once in a while, when I get overwhelmed, I just lose it on my way home from work. But the next day is always better and I go back to my normal, sane self! I'm calorie counting right now, so I'm limiting my snacking. I stick to caffeine diversions, LOL.
    AKA Lisa724

Thanks guys!
    Last night, when we went upstairs to bed he started howling/barking. (he was in the crate)
    I got online and read a few things and I put a blanket over the crate and we tried putting a few coins in a bottle and shaking it when he barked but that just made him bark more. So we sat downstairs quietly until he calmed down (which wasn't long) and we sneaked up stairs. He barked a few times during the night and DH went down and tapped on his crate and told him to shush. It seemed to work and it didn't seem bad at all to me considering I read stories of beagles who bark all night.
    I don't know if that's the right way to deal with night time barking. Any advice?
    We'll go to Petco today and get a couple more toys and see about a class and also set up a vet appointment.
    Also how do you guys feel about leaving the dog alone at first? Is it ok to go out for short spurts so he gets used to it?

Kate, congrats on the new dog! So exciting. I have no advice as I've never been any good at training dogs.

Mylah, I hope that vacation comes quickly!

My dinner went great. I came home to dbf laying on the floor with 3 happy kids. What a relief! On the way home I was so worried about what i would walk into. The kids did tell me this morning that dbf threatened timeouts for forgetting to shut the bathroom door (so Sawyer does not play in there) and that they thought timeouts were just for hurting and sassing, not for forgetting. Hmmm. Looks like some of us have this parenting thing figured out.
    In my new quest at supporting dbf's parental decisions I told him that I would let him speak to the kids to inform them he'd made a mistake in that threat and we are all going to work on keeping the door shut. I mean, I leave it open sometimes too. Although, I welcome five minutes in my room alone so I'll take the timeout.

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mira is adorable, Sujatha! My DD is inexplicably more girly than I thought she would be, too. She likes pink, shopping, and shiny things. I think she has a lot of genetic cross-over from my sister.

Congrats on your new dog, Kate!

After spending part of the afternoon with DS at the hospital getting his surgical consult and setting up the appointment for April and feeling a little shaky but resolved about it, I spent more of the evening in the ER with DD, who was just kneeling inside a box when Baby S. came over and pushed her over. She landed chin-first on the hardwood floor and opened up a gash in her chin that couldn't even be closed by glue. She got hysterical about it. She bled all over the place. Didn't want anyone in the ER to even look at it. Screamed when they put some numbing gel on it. We had to wrap her up in a sheet and they were short-staffed so they had me help hold her down to inject the lidocaine. They told her she was in a little cocoon. By the time they actually did the suturing, she was calmer, although I think she almost made the ER doctor cry when she said when she was out of the cocoon she just wanted to fly away. I carried her back to the car and swooped her all the way from the hospital to the parking garage, just so she could feel like she was flying.

Oh, Lydia - what a long day that must have been.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

L-what a trying day.

Gosh, L. You must be so tired!! Poor C, too. It made me want to cry thinking about how brave she was. Little children being brave always make me want to cry from the inspiration. to you.

Speaking of crying, Lisa , I have another day full of meetings planned and am still supposed to produce a big document draft before my vacation. My boss threw me into a day-long "webinar" tomorrow with a 3rd party, which takes away a full day I have to work on it. And yet I'm still hesitant to point out how the quality of my work can suffer from losing 7 hours of time I planned to devote to it. I worked late last night until I fell asleep on my laptop. I am not billing for these extra hours I'm working (as a consultant, I get paid by the hour). I feel like so much of my job is "hurry up and wait", and this is just the "hurry up" part. In my early days on this project, I was going weeks with only an hour or 2 of real work and the rest of time for yoga and such. So I feel I owe them this time. And I don't want to take this job for granted because it lets me work from home, meaning I can hug my son in the middle of the day. So I'm trying to be really big about the extra hours right now.

I really hate waking up before everyone else, shutting the door for meetings and not coming out until my kiddo is almost dressed for school, my only interaction in the morning being a kiss goodbye. I feel like I'm missing out. That'll be 4 mornings like that this week.

OK. Sorry for talking about myself so much. Kate, I want pictures!! Is the Petfinder page for Bo still up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    The kids did tell me this morning that dbf threatened timeouts for forgetting to shut the bathroom door (so Sawyer does not play in there) and that they thought timeouts were just for hurting and sassing, not for forgetting. Hmmm. Looks like some of us have this parenting thing figured out.

In my new quest at supporting dbf's parental decisions I told him that I would let him speak to the kids to inform them he'd made a mistake in that threat and we are all going to work on keeping the door shut. I mean, I leave it open sometimes too. Although, I welcome five minutes in my room alone so I'll take the timeout.
    . Smart kiddos. Did DBF talk to them about his mistake?

Kate, I would kennel him up for sure for now when you aren't home. it's ok to leave for a few hours. are your bedrooms upstairs? Bo might do better sleeping in either your room or Joshs but in a kennel.
    Molly sleeps in my room in her kennel and when we aren't home, we bring the kennel in the living room so she can be with Cosmo (hasn't used a kennel in years).

I would expect the first few nights to be hard on him. I have only done puppies but for like a week it's crying for hours at night. Just takes them a little time to get used to it.

and whatever you do...don't let him out because he's crying. We only let Molly out when she quiets down (still cries a bit). Exception would be if she cried to go potty and than it was potty and right back to bed...no snuggle, no playing.

Hugs L....that does sound like a long day.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I 'm at the emergency vet right now with DH and the kitty. Kitty has pneumonia. They asked us if we want them to do CPR if she fails.

L, you're having a tough time of late! Hope you get a break from all the madness.

Myles, I have a lot to say about CM, most of which is not good. What I do like about him is that he puts the onus of the dog's behavior where it belongs. Dogs certainly need structure, exercise and discipline. How he goes about it is all wrong, IMO. His "theories" are outdated, and what he does can (and has) got both people and dogs hurt. Heck, he gets bitten on a fairly regular basis. I have two very large dogs. I've managed to train them without putting a finger on them. I am not willing to get into a power struggle with them, nor is it necessary. That's what I've got that big crinkly brain for. For dogs, I prefer gentler approaches. For similar reasons, I dislike The Monks. They popularized the Alpha Roll, which they retracted later, but lives on. This is 2012 after all, no need to go back to Koehler and Woodhouse. Links to follow:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0521112711.htm
    http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonli...0statement.pdf
    http://www.urbandawgs.com/divided_profession.html

For training, I like:
    http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/obedience.html
    http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

I have book recommendations too, if you'd like Kate.
    Last edited by Suja; 02-23-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Vet says it's heart failure, not pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I 'm at the emergency vet right now with DH and the kitty. Kitty has pneumonia. They asked us if we want them to do CPR if she fails.
    omg Mandy! My heart is with you

Oh no Mandy. I'm so sorry.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh no! Cats can be so fragile. Hope Kitty pulls through, Mandy.

I'm sorry, Mandy

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

So sorry again Mandy. (I saw your post on facebook)

Oh no! Can it be treated? CHF is treatable in dogs.

I'm so sorry, Mandy. Will kitty be able to recover at all?

And I'm sorry C got hurt, L. Gosh, I teared up at the cocoon and flying away bit to your story, too.

Kate, I have no advice about raising your dog, but I wanted to say congrats on adopting him. We had beagles when I was growing up, but they were hunting dogs that stayed outside in our fenced 2 acres. I always loved them, though, because they were so good natured and cute.

Myles and Lisa, I'm sorry y'all have such stressful jobs. Y'all do well to do such work and still have the energy to keep up with your young'ns!

I'm starting to think of a plan b scenario in case I don't get on to any teacher training courses this year. I can't start working til this September, so I'm just brainstorming where I can put my resume in around locally since I'll have to work around Travis' school hours of 8:45-3:15. I don't want anything brain-numbingly boring, but I don't want anything that will require me to be too dedicated. I wish I could think of something! I will be so glad to get back to having a second income; this one-income thing has been depressing.

Chrissy, how have you been the past few days? I think of you often and hope that you are doing well. Are you still trying hard to potty-train Conner?