Page 923 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 42382387391392192292392492593397310231423 ... LastLast
Results 27,661 to 27,690 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

OMG! I was thinking about you guys in the car on the way home today, wondering what the date was. I knew the 24th had to be coming up. Then I promptly forgot to check when I got home. How are you all doing? Is she excited? Scared?

She's been anxious all day. I was fine till tonight. Her stuff is all packed and stacked. I'm happy for her-I really am. But she's still my baby. I don't care what anyone says.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy.

Congrats to her - and I'm sure it must be very emotional for you.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I tear up just thinking about kindergarten...let alone college! I wish her the best.

Chrissy I came in here to say and OMG you look so young in all those pics on Facebook. I hope Bobbie's first year of college is great
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I was a teen mom. :-) sometimes even I forget how young I was. When I was Bobbie's she I had 2 kids already. Or nearly, I turned 19 a month and a half after having Jesi.

Chrissy, what an exciting but bittersweet time. I can't tell you how empowering it was for me to leave home and go away to college. I'm really hoping Bobbie benefits much in the same way from her newfound autonomy and novel social environment. Going to college definitely helped put a lot of my earlier teenage angst behind me and into perspective.

Big hugs, Chrissy!

Scary night tonight. I went to the gym at about 6:30 and tried to come home an hour later but both entrances to my one block long street were blocked off, cops everywhere, search helicopter flying right over my house. I asked one of them what was up and he told me I was going to have to wait. I called dh and thank goodness he answered the phone. There was some sort of manhunt going on in the creek behind our house. There were search dogs in our backyard and all the other houses on the street. They finally found this guy UNDER the house of our friend Rachel who lives three doors down from us. She said the police dogs found him and he even got bit because he was fighting back. Rachel said that they made them wait outside while they were trying to get him out. Finally was able to come home at 9:30 after doing aimless driving and finally settling on going to a thriftshop to buy JoJo some books for an hour.

Anyway, Rachel and her roommate Laurel heard someone in their backyard and called the cops, so that's why they were there. But the scary part is that there is a big to-do here because there is a guy who is assaulting women in town, killed one 27 year old special needs teacher on New Year's Eve maybe two miles from here after beating up two other women earlier in the evening and is suspected in a bunch of other assaults and everyone is really scared about it. So I think the police are being really active and trying to find this guy. Still don't know anything about if it is that guy or not, but I hope that it is.

Poor Chris was home with JoJo trying to explain that the guys in the backyard with dogs and flashlights are on a scavenger hunt and she should just go to bed.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Oh wow Katy how terrifying. I hope this is the guy they're after and no one else gets hurt.

That is terrifying!

Eeks! I hope the suspect is that guy too. How scary. I'm sorry you had to wait it out and be separated from your family at the same time.

Wow, Katy, that's crazy scary! I sure hope the guy they caught is the guy that's hurt those other women.

Chrissy, you must be so proud of Bobbie; she'll have a great time in college!

I talked to my mom this weekend and she told me that she'd crashed her truck in to someone's fence in town. I have no idea how she did it; she says she stopped at a stop sign and when she put her foot on the accelerator to go, the truck fish-tailed because the road was wet and she crashed in to the fence. She was really upset about it all. I wish she'd buy herself a little car to drive, but she's a little petite lady who likes driving a big Chevy Silverado!

Oh my, Katy! I'd have been painting some horrible scenarios in my head. I'm so glad everyone is ok.
    We had a much lesser scare last night but dbf and I were both in heart pounding mode for a second. We were sitting in the living room watching a movie at around 10 pm when we heard the screen door to our front door open. It's very squeaky. We both jumped up immediately and dbf grabbed the guitar in the living room and told me to go stand in the hall. He opened the door ready to fight but it turns out the ups truck had come earlier and left a package between the door and the screen so that the screen did not shut tight and that let the wind grab it and open it. After we laughed about his choice of guitar as weapon I told him I think we should have a baseball bat in an easy to grab spot.

Sorry about your mom's accident, Ash!

Oh goodness how scary Katy! I hope the guy they caught is the guy they were looking for.

That does sound scary Katy! Wow! I hope that the person they got was the guy too.

I remember there was a serial killer in my neighborhood when I was a kid. I remember thinking that he must eat cereal and kill people. He was put to death a few years ago, but he was arrested in my neighborhood and I remember it was REALLY exciting (see the mind of children!). My mom says she was a wreck! The man killed some kids and their mother in my hometown and in Indiana and MI too. She says she was relieved when he was caught.

And Chrissy I so hope that Bobbie has a wonderful time at college. I am so excited for her! I also remember maturing and coming out of my shell a lot in college. I was so happy that I got to live on campus at least a year. If my kids decide to go to college, I am hoping that they will stay on campus for their entire matriculation just because my experience that year was so fun and maturing for me.

And Bridget, yeah a guitar is funny for a weapon! DH gave me a metal pipe to put beside my bed and he keeps a big wooden stick (it was the handle of one of those huge railroad hammers) by the front door. He calls it his "wackem" stick.

Erin

We dropped Bobbie off this morning. I'm a wreck. It was so hard for me to leave her. She kind of looked sad and anxious when we were hugging her goodbye too, but I've been texting her a lot since and she's totally have a good time. I'm happy for her, I really am. But mama heart? Ouch. That's all I can say. And you all know how rough it's been between us lately. It still was not an easy thing for me to do this morning.

One complaint I have about her dorm is that there's no cleaning service. I knew that before, and had talked to Bobbie about cleaning up after herself so her 3 roommates don't get irritated with her. But they didn't even clean the place from last semester and there's old food-including milk!-left in the fridge. We're going up tonight to help her and the girls clean it all up nice. I'll get to see her again today

Something caught me totally by surprise. When I hugged her and turned out of her apartment and started going down the cinder block hall, it brought back all the memories and emotions of leaving my mom at the state hospital so many times when I was growing up. It felt awful, even though I fully realize it's a whole different thing. I just wasn't expecting it. The sights (cinder block walled hallway) and smells...plus hugging someone I love and having to leave them behind. Not fun.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 01-24-2012 at 11:32 AM.

That must have felt really disorienting, Chrissy. An added sadness. Big hugs.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I didn't even remember feeling that way ever...till today and then it hit me like a brick.

Bobbie is doing really good. We've been texting back and forth, but she sounds very upbeat and excited. I can't wait to get up there tonight. I hope we can meet her roommates!

So sorry it's bringing back those memories for you. I imagine it was a tough enough day without all that. Glad she's doing well though.

Erin, I drew a similar cartoon about a "cereal killer" when I was a kid. My mom kept it and gave it back to me recently.

Can I bounce for a second? I have been doing a few phone interviews for a new job with a local hospital's IT department and they're forwarding my resume and cover letter over to the hiring manager RIGHT NOW. It's $20k more a year than what I'm making now. Cross everything you can for me

Karen, fingers, toes and paws crossed for you. When will you know?

Hugs, Chrissy. That has to be tough, but it's nice to know that Bobbie is doing well. Besides, it sounds like you guys are close enough, in case she needs her mommy on short notice.

Good luck, Karen!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrissy, I'm glad that Bobbie is settling in; I hope you get to meet her roommates and that they're good people!

Oh, how I remember going off to college! I'm so excited for Bobbie! Hugs to you, Chrissy. Sounds like an emotional ride.

Good luck Karen!

, Chrissy. I'm sorry the memories of your mom crept up on you at that moment.

Good luck, Karen!! Keep us posted.

Chrissy. Colleges do have an institutional feel, so I'm not surprised you reacted that way. Bobbie will do great, though.

Good luck, Karen.

Not sure when I will find out - the position would start in April which is good - it would give me plenty of time to get a new person hired for my current position. Basically the hospital hired a staffing agency to search for possible candidates and then they weed out everyone to a select few that actually get sent on to the hospital's hiring manager. I was one of the ones that got sent on! So now I'm waiting to hear from the actual hospital itself. It would be such a great opportunity for me.

Good luck Karen! I hope you hear from them soon!

While we were visiting Bobbie, one of her friends from the Candor school who has already been in college a full semester stopped in to visit. I'm glad my kids are open with me, but I was really getting uncomfortable with some of Bobbie's questions and her friend's advice. Bobbie asked if boys could stay over and then shot me a smug look when her friend said yes. Then her friend informed her that everyone smokes pot in the woods. I decided it was time for Mom to go at that point.

I know she's going to 'do stuff' in college. Not sure I want all the details though.

I think I pissed off a mom yesterday. She asked me how old DD was, then proceeded to tell me that her 3 year old is nowhere near that verbal, and can't even tell her what he wants. I suggested that maybe she should get him evaluated, and she got all huffy and said 'Oh he's fine, he just doesn't talk much', then walked off.

I wasn't a fan of having that suggested to me either. I knew Conner was ok and he didn't talk much till he was 3. Bobbie was the same way. I know Mandy will cringe, but my own experience has taught me not to worry about such things. Bobbie is extremely book smart, articulate, and has an amazing ability to learn new languages. She can read/write Japanese (self taught using the internet) and she's jumping into 2nd year French without having any formal French training because she was able to teach herself the fundamentals. She also didn't say more than 1/2 a dozen words till she was about 3 years old.

For me, I don't suggest anything to any mom ever unless they specifically ask, "What do you think I should do?" It's safer that way.