Page 911 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 41181186190190991091191291392196110111411 ... LastLast
Results 27,301 to 27,330 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Whichever one of you wears underwear as outerwear is Superman. DUH!
    That would be Myles.

Bridget, I remember you saying that about getting a family at 5 am. Ouch. I hope if you have to your dbf will do the night routine and let you go to bed early.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I am here, stewing in fury.

So, my car did not get done last night. I actually borrowed my mom's car today. I invited her over for dinner last night (honey chicken over rice with snow peas) and dh put the car seats in her car while I was cleaning up from dinner. She came over at 5 AM today so I could leave, and then she napped on the couch until the kids got up at 6:30 and dh took the twins to school.

I had a totally awful day at work, and then on the way home I called the car place, having realized I did not get a call from them all day. They had me on hold for 10 minutes. They finally told me they were NOT working on my car. They could not find my paperwork or anyone who could tell me anything about my car, but there was a note that they needed to ask me a question. They could not tell me if they had even figured out what was wrong with it yet. They assured me that they would try to locate the paperwork and a technician and call me back right away.

I have been keeping in mind Chrissy's advice about not calling repair shops too much, so I have not called back yet, but that was 2 hours ago that they promised to call me back right away. And now my car has been in the shop for two days so far and as far as I know, has not even had its issue diagnosed, let alone worked on. I could have told them it was the alternator, but they won't just start working on it on my say-so. I still have not once talked to anyone who can tell me anything about what's going on.

I am having a glass of wine, and am trying not to bust a gasket, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to fix that, either. Also, I'm starting to suspect that it won't be done tomorrow.

FYI, I called once to check on the status at noon yesterday (not known), and at 4 PM (not known), and at 3 PM today (we lost your paperwork, needed to talk to you but didn't call you, and will not call you back and still don't know about the status except your car is still not anywhere close to being fixed).

&%^*!@#

Bridget, so glad you found a good tree. We were at a playground once after a really windy day and there was half a tree down on the ground. I let the kids play in the branches and crawl through the leaves, pretending they were jungle explorers. They had a lot more fun than in the playground. And how is it Kai never climbed a tree before?

Yes, 5 AM sucks! BTW. It's not even the early mornings so much as it ruins the evening before, too.

We have had a period of anger and acting out with DS at 3 1/2 also. It's getting better, or at least it's changing into other behaviors. Suja, if it helps at all, DD was very dramatic and started having temper tantrums early and dh asked me in confidence at one point if it was possible she was a sociopath (!) but now she is much better behaved than DS, who was always a much mellower and more even-keeled baby. You probably missed Gwenn's post about how babies who are more emotional tend to be better adapted, socially and behaviorally, by the time they get to be preschoolers. It's certainly true in DD's case, it might be true in your DD's case, and I'm holding out hope for Baby S. who has the highest highs and the lowest lows and the loudest cries of all of our babies.

Whichever one of you wears underwear as outerwear is Superman. DUH!
    But don't Snooki and Superman both do that?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    That would be Myles.
    I also considered this one as a possible response...

L, what a mess about your car. Those are the things that drive me to absolute fury. I'm sorry.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Holy smokes, Lydia. I would be irate! That seems very unreasonable doesn't it? Thank goodness dbf almost always does the work on our vehicles. I've never had an experience like that.

Oh, and the reason Kai has never climbed a tree is mostly because he is very short so it's hard for him to reach the branches he needs to. Also, up until quite recently he is afraid of a lot of things. His confidence is really soaring these days and it's awesome to see. We don't come along good climbing trees all that often to be honest.

Sawyer is going to be one 16 days. A whole year!! He still feels new to me!

Oh Lydia, what a big bucket of Teh Suck! Can you get your car moved to your usual place? These bozos aren't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence. I hadn't seen Mandy's post on drama queens; good to know she doesn't have to be that way as she grows up.

Mandy, I thought Snooki was the one that didn't wear any underwear.

I'm so sorry Lydia! What a pain!

Wow Bridget, 5 a.m. You couldn't pay me enough to be up that early regularly. And I'm assuming you have to be up even earlier, if your day care has to be open at 5.

I made some excellent chicken wings tonight. I think this may have even been my first time making them because DH is not a big fan and I wouldn't make them for just myself, but Josh loves them these days.

Anyway I followed Alton Brown's method of steaming them first and then baking them, so they have a nice crisp skin. They were juicy and delicious and I ate them with a bit of salt and lemon juice sprinkled on. I wanted to eat them all but had to save some for DH who was coming home later. Josh had already had dinner but had 3 chicken wings when they were done.

Oh Lydia, what a big bucket of Teh Suck! Can you get your car moved to your usual place? These bozos aren't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence. I hadn't seen Mandy's post on drama queens; good to know she doesn't have to be that way as she grows up.

Mandy, I thought Snooki was the one that didn't wear any underwear.
    Good point.

As for my drama queen post, I had to do some continuing Ed over break and shared part of this in here. Here it is again, with more context.

Attention skills, like all behaviors, have underlying physiological bases that can be measured and examined for variability. For example, behavioral indications of sustained attention, such as quieting and looking, are associated with physiological changes, such as a slowing of heart rate. Researchers have concluded that heart rate changes during attention are mediated more by the para-sympathetic (i.e., rest–digest) than the sympathetic (i.e., fight–flight) system (Richards & Casey, 1991). The in-fluences of the parasympathetic system on the heart often are studied through measuring respiratory sinus arrhythmia (RSA) as an index of vagal activity. In a resting state, heart rate varies depending on the phase of the respiratory cycle, with an increase in heart rate on inspiration and a decrease in heart rate on expiration. The difference between the heart rate during inspiration versus expiration reflects the extent of influence of the vagus nerve in regulating the heartbeat. A larger differ-ence (i.e., higher RSA) presumably reflects higher vagal activity, and a smaller difference (i.e., lower RSA) pre-sumably reflects lower vagal activity. Higher RSA under nonchallenging, calm conditions has been associated concurrently and prospectively with a variety of child behavioral characteristics. For exam-ple, in infancy a higher baseline RSA is associated with more emotional reactivity, including more crying in re-sponse to mildly frustrating events and positive affective reactivity to social interactions; longitudinally, a higher baseline RSA in infancy predicts greater sociability dur-ing the toddler and preschool years (e.g., Fox, 1989; Porges, Doussard-Roosevelt, Portales, & Suess, 1994). Beauchaine (2001) suggested that RSA in infancy reflects the infant's capacity for engagement with the environment, with high RSA associated with greater behavioral, attentional, and emotional responsiveness. Thus, high levels of in-fant responsiveness can be evidenced in more extreme negative and positive emotional reactions but lead to better adaptation over time. Among preschoolers, higher resting RSA is related to higher concurrent social com-petence, better emotion regulation, and lower levels of problem behavior (Blair & Peters, 2003; Calkins, 1997; Doussard-Roosevelt, McClenny, & Porges, 2001; Porges et al., 1994).
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Those chicken wings sound so good! Yum. I've never made them. I only buy whole chickens and I can't bring myself to cut it into pieces. Raw chicken grosses me out.

Thanks for reposting, Mandy. I wonder what the stats are on the association between higher RSA during infancy and greater sociability during later years.

I don't like chicken wings, but DH loves them. He made the Alton Brown recipe as well, and it turned out very well.

I don't know the stats on that, but the article was actually discussing the predictive value of RSA for children with Autism who had a reduced capacity to engage with their environment, and thus poorer social and behavioral outcomes. This population did have lower RSA. They found that comparatively higher RSA in that population led to increased communication outcomes as well. For those kids, higher performance in the preschool years leads to better long term outcomes.

I'm wondering... are infants that turn out to be autistic later generally considered easier? I ask because we have a family friend with an autistic granddaughter, and they always used to say how easy she was. Basically content to be left alone, and consequently, not the least bit demanding.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Those chicken wings sound good, but dh pretty much won't eat anything with bones still inside. He will have to make some major adjustments if we survive a disaster and I'm cooking squirrel on a stick for dinner.

I finally called back the car place when I thought it was almost closing time and I hadn't heard back. I talked to someone who knew what was going on and found notes on my car. It is the alternator, of course. I had a subtle oil leak that was dripping on the alternator and caused it to fail, and it took out the battery as well. They have a parts requisition submitted to see what might be covered under the warranty and will call me in the morning when they find out. We'll see if that really happens. I didn't even ask when it might be done, because I'm pretty sure the answer would have had no bearing on reality.

Oh, and dh got rear-ended today on the freeway in his brand new car. It's been a bad vehicular week for us.

L, I have found that to be a true statement when dealing with car repairs, etc ... Frequently the answer has no basis in reality. And count me among those who would have a difficult adjustment to squirrel on a stick.

I'm wondering... are infants that turn out to be autistic later generally considered easier? I ask because we have a family friend with an autistic granddaughter, and they always used to say how easy she was. Basically content to be left alone, and consequently, not the least bit demanding.
    I suspect it's either one extreme or the other. I was on a training grant team with the mother of one of my students with autism. She said he was a difficult baby from the day he was born, and he was a difficult excitable 7-9 year old. He also had extreme ADHD, though. Other kids I've seen were just as you said - easy as pie so long as you didn't try to interact with them (which of course was my job- made me feel loved!). Again, they were like that as elementary kids and I'm sure after reading that article they were the same way as infants.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-10-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Oh, L, when it rains, it pours, right? I'm sorry about all your automobile issues. My DH has been taking my car to work this week to get more miles on it since I don't drive it very far. He thinks it just needs to drive more to get the battery warmed up (since it died the other day). That means he's left me with his sports car to take Cash and Travis to and from school. Ugh. This car is like 3 inches off the ground, so to get Cash in, I have to actually sit on the ground to lift him in (all this done acrobatically by the way). It's a good thing I'm bendy or I'd never be able to fit all of us in! I've been telling him for years we need to trade it in for a bigger car, but he loves that car like a person loves a pet, I think.

Bridget, that is so cool about the tree. It reminds me of the woods across the street in the house I grew up in til I was 9. There was an old tree that had fallen and we used to play all sorts of games on it. I can remember pretending it was an airplane and sitting in my seat while one of my cousins was the flight attendant. LOL. I'm glad that both my boys seem to love the outdoors, too. It's DH we need to convert from being a city boy. I told him we'll have to go camping next year when Cash is a little older. Cash always wants to be outside. He even picks his shoes up and brings them to me wherever I am in the house as if to say, "come on, let's go outside!" He's even started saying "two shoes" lately. It's so cute.

This might sound crazy to y'all but here lately to be more patient with Travis, when I feel like my patience is running low, I visualize a bucket and I imagine myself pouring in more "patience." It actually makes me stop and say, "OK, he's 3 and I'm 30...I can handle this calmly." LOL....at least, it's working for now.

We're off this afternoon to visit a school that he might be going to in September. We have to have 3 choices, so we're going to look at this one. This one is a "church of England" school, so I'm hesitant about it but I guess I'll see this afternoon just how religious the school is. They teach relgion in all schools here but there are Catholic and Anglican churches that are different from public schools, but I've never been to one, so I'm eager to see if this one is any good. I don't want my kids to go to a school where they try to fill their head with ideas of 'god' from an early age.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Oh, and dh got rear-ended today on the freeway in his brand new car. It's been a bad vehicular week for us.
    Oh no!!! I'm glad everyone is ok, but man what luck. I'm sorry. And I'm sorry I made you hesitate to call the dealership back because no matter what my brother and my other mechanic family/friends say, if one told me they'd call me back right away and I didn't hear from them in an hour, I'd definitely be calling them. I do hope they get it fixed today.

Good luck with the school Ash. I hope it's not overly religious.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

DH feels the same way about some meat with bones, but he likes ribs, and apparently the chicken wings.

Oh no Lydia! You're due for some smooth sailing up ahead, I think.

Good luck with the school Ash! I like your "patience" idea. Whatever works, right?

I'd totally be fine with eating squirrel on a stick. I've eaten squirrel before.

I'd totally be fine with eating squirrel on a stick. I've eaten squirrel before.

What does it taste like?
    I've had alligator...too bad there aren't any alligators around here.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What does it taste like?
    It's really difficult to explain as it didn't taste like any other meat I'd ever had. It was slightly tangy. I guess people call it 'gamey' It was also seasoned to the hilt so I'm not sure how much of what I tasted was the meat and how much was that. It was also very stringy...more like chicken meat. But tougher.

Blech. Only meat I eat is chicken, turkey, cow, pig...and hotdogs. LOL I'm ok with raw chicken/turkey but not ground up meat like hamburger.

Will never see me skydiving and I think that I wouldn't attempt it with a bad back myself.

L, OMG what a week.

Yuck, our "spring" is ending today and that dirty word snow is back tonight/tomorrow.

Had class last night. Worked some more on come when called and a game called pass the puppy...divided into a couple of smaller groups based on dog size and passed the pups around to have them being used to being touched and held by other people. Molly is a rock star at follow me/come when called....not so fond of being passed around and was whining even though she could see us. And so happy to see her Cosmo when we got home. I'm happy that she is getting to attached to us and hopeful that once older and more trained, that we can have her off-leash in our yard to run around with Cosmo. Our house is at the end of the street and for now is a dead-end. We have a neighbor on one side and he has a fence. The other side and behind us is a field....last two summers they grew soybeans. At 16 weeks old, I don't trust her yet but there is hope there.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys, she meant indoor skydiving after all. Not sure if we will end up going for that. The other thing that was mentioned was an exotic dancing class. I'd be terrible at that. I can't dance to save my life!

Those chicken wings sound tasty! I will look up the recipe. I make some kick a$$ chicken wings but am always looking for ways to make them differently. They are my favorite chicken pieces.

And Bridget if we move to Chicago I'm going to have to drive up to see you and bring my kitchen shears and cut up a chicken for you LOL! My older brother is alway amazed at how fast and throroughly I can cut up whole chickens or chicken pieces. My mom used to buy either whole chickens or chicken/leg quarters and it was one of my jobs to cut the chicken up every 2-4 weeks (she would buy probably 30lbs of chicken at a time) skin them (she doesn't like skin on chicken) and put them into bags with twisty ties. I was always our meat sorter. Since she didn't have that much money she bought meat at a variety of places. We only got chicken and beef from the butcher and we only got pork from a farm way out in Elmira, OH. We loved the pork. They made link sausages that I also had to cut and bag for the freezer.

L just UGH!!!! about your vehicles. I hate dealing with dealerships period and never go to them anymore. My old mechanic was wonderful but he retired a few years ago and I haven't been able to find a good one since. Luckily my DH knows how to do basic things - brake jobs, oil changes, battery issues, even alternators - he's changed 2 or 3 that I know of. He always does a great job too. He is really anal about some things but I'm happy his anality (if that is a word) comes in handy when he is repairing vehicles. I still miss my old mechanic though. He always had a 24hour turnaround, sometimes shorter than that. I think it helped that I tipped him well because he was a great serviceman and appreciated his customers. I have had some hoopties and he changed a transmission for me once in one day. He started at 8am and called at 4pm and told me it was done. He did the same thing for an engine I had put in as well. I really appreciated him. The last work he did for me was to actually change the alternator and the water pump of my sedan I had before the vehicle I have now. He changed them within 2 hours and told me to go get lunch and come back and they would be done and that is what happened.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 01-11-2012 at 12:54 PM.

I made the rest of the wings for lunch If you follow his recipe I did not make the glaze or anything but you can basically toss the wings in any sauce you like, when they're done.

I have to admit I was a bit rusty in seperating the whole wings into pieces but it's coming back to me now! Meat cutting was such a pain in the ass class but I was good at it back then!

Can someone explain pinterest for me? It seems like almost every time I go, I can't see the pictures. They look like that broken link image. And then I can't find anything I'm looking for. How do you guys search for things you want to post? And what's the difference between liking and repinning?

Therapy was ok I guess. My therapist is like 10 so that's going to take some getting used to, but she was very empathetic and said, "You really have been through a lot this last year" with big eyes. And I didn't even get a chance to tell her everything. At least I'm not crazy. She's also very intelligent so I'm sure she'll be good.
    I'm glad its going well so far Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Ugh... I'm sorry L

Squirrel is horrible, and gamey, and like... chewy

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What does it taste like?
    Mmmm... Alligator! It's been a long time

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I have no idea what pinterest is except that people keep saying how fun it is.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised with the religious school today. I was impressed with the staff and the whole energy of the place was very positive. I guess I felt like they were going to play up the whole religious part of the school but it was only mentioned a few times. I'm going to see our village school on Friday to see the contrast between the two.

I don't know what pintirest is either and I am not letting myself find out. I do not need to be on the computer any more than I usually am and I also have enough projects waiting for me to do/finish to be thinking about any more.

Sawyer is a huge pointer. Like, he points at me first thing when he wakes up in the morning. He points at any person he sees, whenever someone walks in the room, whenever someone speaks, and he points at everything he sees as we are walking. He points really emphatically too, with feeling lol. Like, his arm is very straight and stiff and stares at his hand while he does it. He also loves to play the acoustic drum we have and he beats really hard with both drumsticks then he stops and points both sticks at whomever happens to be watching him at the moment. Dbf and I say when he is a rockstar that will be his signature move.

Sawyer...that's too funny!

I know at least a couple of you friended me on pinterest! I still haven't been able to check it out because it's so frustrating!

I have not checked out Pinterest for the same reasons. I'm sure I would love it.

I like picturing Sawyer pointing like that. Rock on, little dude.

I am so tired. I actually slept more last night than I usually do -- from 10 PM straight through until 6 AM, and baby S. is napping and I actually put Mighty Machines on the tv and lay down on the couch and the twins lay down on top of me and blanketed me with their warmth and I dozed off a little bit. It was so nice. I didn't ask them to do it. I just knew that if I lay down they would cover me up.

Supposedly my car will be done some time tomorrow and all but $150 is going to be covered by warranty. I had to call to find that out, too. Around noon I figured that the phone call I was promised "first thing in the morning" was not happening. I'm borrowing my mom's car again tomorrow.

At least it's only $150. ? I'm sorry L. What a frustrating experience.

Did you guys see the dancing 90-year-old Grandma? She dances to Lady Gaga, LMFAO, and Maroon 5. her!