Page 898 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3987988488888968978988999009089489981398 ... LastLast
Results 26,911 to 26,940 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I actually have no idea where my SS card, birth certificate, and marriage certificate are. I suppose that's really bad.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Dbf's other code for wanting to have sex is asking me if I have showered. Ha!
    LOL! How did I miss this?

Okay, THIS is fascinating.

Higher RSA under nonchallenging, calm conditions has been associated concurrently and prospectively with a variety of child behavioral characteristics. For exam-ple, in infancy a higher baseline RSA is associated with more emotional reactivity, including more crying in re-sponse to mildly frustrating events and positive affective reactivity to social interactions; longitudinally, a higher baseline RSA in infancy predicts greater sociability dur-ing the toddler and preschool years (e.g., Fox, 1989; Porges, Doussard-Roosevelt, Portales, & Suess, 1994). Beauchaine (2001) suggested that RSA in infancy reflects the infant's capacity for engagement with the environment, with high RSA associated with greater behavioral, attentional, and emotional responsiveness. Thus, high levels of in-fant responsiveness can be evidenced in more extreme negative and positive emotional reactions but lead to better adaptation over time. Among preschoolers, higher resting RSA is related to higher concurrent social com-petence, better emotion regulation, and lower levels of problem behavior (Blair & Peters, 2003; Calkins, 1997; Doussard-Roosevelt, McClenny, & Porges, 2001; Porges et al., 1994).
    The RSA they are talking about is a measure of heart rate at rest and looks at activity of one of the major cranial nerves. If I'm understanding this correctly, children who are more emotional, negative and positive, when young will have better social/emotional/behavioral skills when older? Interesting!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Okay, THIS is fascinating.

The RSA they are talking about is a measure of heart rate at rest and looks at activity of one of the major cranial nerves. If I'm understanding this correctly, children who are more emotional, negative and positive, when young will have better social/emotional/behavioral skills when older? Interesting!

That's definitely true with my twins, although they may be still too young to be considered "older." DD had a higher resting heart rate, was (and is) more emotional (both negative and positive) and has better social/emotional/behavioral skills now. When they were little and she was throwing tantrums and biting and grabbing we would not have predicted that by any means.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 12-31-2011 at 12:06 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I actually have no idea where my SS card, birth certificate, and marriage certificate are. I suppose that's really bad.
    I bet your dh knows where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    That's definitely true with my twins, although they may be still too young to be considered "older." DD had a higher resting heart rate, was (and is) more emotional (both negative and positive) and has better social/emotional/behavioral skills now. When they were little and she was throwing tantrums and biting and grabbing we would not have predicted that by any means.
    So cool you experienced this directly with the twins! I'm sold on this!

And it said in the preschool years, so you definitely fit the pattern.

I bet your dh knows where they are.
    Actually he doesn't.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-31-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Ours is "snuggle".

Umm, well we only have two dogs so we often have dog toys around but really my house is clean and organized. DH has a rule of I'm not to buy stuff unless it's going to have a place and we are pretty good about getting rid of stuff we don't want anymore. I do have one small pile in the kitchen but that doesn't get big or DH starts freaking out. And important papers are in the file cabinet....with labeled folders. We are both really kind of organized people and DH is a bit of a neat freak and will clean up stuff if I haven't gotten to it.
    So we do know where the papers are...had to show the adoption agency all sorts of things like marriage and birth certificates.

We will see how things change once we get a baby..... LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

This stuff is really interesting to me. I think I could read about human development stuff all the time and never stop being in awe.

I'm feeling very emotional right now myself. I had a good two weeks and then woke up this morning and had a little cry. Not really for any particular reason that I could pinpoint either. I wonder if it had anything to do with my date last night with hubby. I'm still so confused about our relationship and have a lot of anger/resentment inside. I feel like it will never go away.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy. You've got a lot of emotions to sort out with your hubby, good and bad. No wonder you don't know how to feel. I think it will just take time.

Hugs, Chrissy. I can certainly relate to mixed feelings regarding the man in your life. You do seem more hopeful, and seem to be getting some tears out. Do you think the meds are helping?

I confess I'm done with all those articles, and sent in my compliance form to my professional organization. Yay! I don't have to do that one again for another 3 years! And I wasn't audited!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Hugs, Chrissy. I can certainly relate to mixed feelings regarding the man in your life. You do seem more hopeful, and seem to be getting some tears out. Do you think the meds are helping?
    I do.

I confess I'm done with all those articles, and sent in my compliance form to my professional organization. Yay! I don't have to do that one again for another 3 years! And I wasn't audited!

Good for you, Gwenn! It must have been a slog, but I bet it's a relief to get it done.

Chrissy, I'm just glad you had a good night. I'm sure it's confusing, but pretty much nothing is all good or all bad. I would grab the moments of happiness when you can find them, without clinging to them to the exclusion of everything else.

Is anyone doing anything fun for NYE that I can live vicariously through? We have a bottle of one of my favorite kinds of champagne chillin' in the fridge, but dh is still so sick that I don't think we'll open it. Or if we do, I'll probably regret it in the morning.

My new sig. picture is when we were in the kiddie pool and I had both twins riding on my back and I was pushing S. around in his little "Crabby" float. All the parents lounging around the edge of the pool with one or no kids were elbowing and whispering to each other. I like to imagine they were saying, "Look, three kids is easy! Maybe we should have a couple more!" or else they were thinking, "Aren't you glad we only have one?" We were all having a ton of fun, though.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 12-31-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Love the new sig pic!

I may have posted this elsewhere, but we're going to a "family-friendly" and kosher New Year's Eve party hosted by my kosher Jewish vegetarian friend. And we have to bring food! The party starts at 6 and for the people who want to "stay up" we're watching the ball drop in NY - which means at 10pm our time! Should be an early night but I haven't seen my friend's older kids in a while. Although I did see her and her son in Bed Bath and Beyond a couple of days before Christmas. It will be fun but I don't know my friends friends well - I'm not sure this is exactly something to live through vicariously. But you're welcome to if you like!

I'm making chicken alfredo pizza (I believe Jennifer gave me that idea in the thread I posted) and fried ravioli. We might watch some Doctor Who, or a movie, and if we're up late enough, probably watch the ball drop. Nothing really exciting, sorry!

Someday I would like to go to Boston or New York for NYE but when it comes down to it, it's just too cold and crowded.

Lydia, I LOVE that picture! I came in here just to tell you Oh and to sort of secretly LOL at the homosexuality thread in the Christian room. I really want to know what Jennifer said that she deleted! And I love Palee's most recent reply. Oh boy, that's just one step away from getting locked down for sure.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'm making chicken alfredo pizza (I believe Jennifer gave me that idea in the thread I posted) and fried ravioli. We might watch some Doctor Who, or a movie, and if we're up late enough, probably watch the ball drop. Nothing really exciting, sorry!

Someday I would like to go to Boston or New York for NYE but when it comes down to it, it's just too cold and crowded.
    Nothing better than Doctor Who!! Speaking of, I need to watch the Christmas special! I can't believe it's been an entire week and I haven't even downloaded it yet Chicken alfredo pizza sounds amazing too. YUM. I wanted to make something special for tonight but since I work until 7pm and we have a fridge full of leftovers...well you get what I mean.

We just started the 11th doctor, but realized we missed 3 specials, I guess, that were not listed on netflix streaming so we have to track those down.

Thanks for the compliment, Karen!

And remember, our threads are just as public and accessible as any threads on here, so it's a good idea to remain polite and keep the peace in the rooms where we like to post. I'm sure that if Jennifer deleted a comment, she was probably trying to remember that as well.

Thanks for the compliment, Karen!

And remember, our threads are just as public and accessible as any threads on here, so it's a good idea to remain polite and keep the peace in the rooms where we like to post. I'm sure that if Jennifer deleted a comment, she was probably trying to remember that as well.
    That is very true. It is hard for me to remain polite and tactful sometimes, that's why I try to keep my nose out of threads where it doesn't belong!

We just started the 11th doctor, but realized we missed 3 specials, I guess, that were not listed on netflix streaming so we have to track those down.
    Which specials are you missing? I have them all I could hook you up.

ETA: And sometimes the specials aren't listed under Doctor Who on Netflix. I know the Waters of Mars isn't (that was one of the After Donna Pre Amy mini season episodes)
    Last edited by beanpop; 12-31-2011 at 04:10 PM.

We're missing Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars and The End of Time 1 and 2. (thank goodness for wikipedia's episode lists!)

Lydia, your sig pic makes me jealous. It looks so warm, colorful and wonderful.

We're missing Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars and The End of Time 1 and 2. (thank goodness for wikipedia's episode lists!)
    Yup, so you're missing that entire mini-season!

Linkys:

Planet of the Dead is not listed on Netflix (WHY that makes no sense!) so I will send you a copy of mine (PM me your email address)

Waters of Mars: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Do...?trkid=2361637

End of Time parts 1 and 2: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Do...?trkid=2361637

Lydia, your sig pic makes me jealous. It looks so warm, colorful and wonderful.
    It was! Check this picture out. DD was standing next to the eternity pool at the rooftop tapas restaurant/bar where baby S. had his meltdown the second night. He was fine the first hour, but then he got bored. I had to leave with him before eating all of my dinner, sadly. But it had a great view of the sunset.

I am so jealous of your trip right now.

L, your siggy pic is awesome! I bet you made having young 3 kids look effortless!

Mandy, we'll be watching the same ball drop We're going to a bar to party. Bobbie is dropping us off and hanging with her friends, then picking us up after. The place has a large (12 foot I think?) screen that they're going to play the ball dropping on. We were there last year & had a great time. I'm a little worried about my ability to remain in those stinking heels with that tight dress without falling and hurting myself, or ripping my dress, or both...but I'm going for it anyway. It looks hot!

And here is me on my date morning with dh, riding an ATV through the Sierra Madre mountains:

omg L that looks like so much fun!! I'm so jealous!

I don't think we can afford to take another vacation for years, but it was nice to get away. I'm sorry I'm making you all jealous.