Page 873 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3737738238638718728738748758839239731373 ... LastLast
Results 26,161 to 26,190 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Hahah yes it is very strange to see Adama in that role.

I don't really donate to anything--but special olympics called and I genuinely didn't have anything to spare at the time or I probably would have. They said they'd send me an envelope in the mail and it came today. I'll run it by DH--he's been more into charity than ever this year. Must be getting soft in his old age ;)

Ugh. Yeah, those articles stoke my inner pessimist. I usually try to just forget the depths of human stupidity and give people the benefit of the doubt that they're reasonable and good-intentioned, but seeing it on display like that just makes me paranoid that every other guy I run into on the street could be a raging bigot. Talk me off that ledge, please. In any case, I'm definitely going to stop my donations to the SA.

Hi, Aelith! Why do you say you have your rational hat back on? Did you take it off for awhile?

Suja, if I don't get the chance to say it later, have a safe trip, and check in with us if you can get access to the nets. We'd love to see pictures.

Ash, I wanna see your photo shoot pics too.

Jennifer, are you still going in circles about whether or not you want to adopt right now? IMHO, I think it's totally ok to have second thoughts... and to listen to them, no matter how far you've already gone in the direction of adopting. I believe it's important to listen to your inner compass and stay true to it.

So I mentioned before that I finished up my 121 day "Conscious Choices" weight loss challenge that I did with myself on Tuesday, and here are some stats: I lost 7.9 lbs, which was about 5% of my body weight. I'm happy with the pace of loss, which was a little under half a pound a week. I blogged 80 of those 121 days, with entries about the conscious choices that I made that day, upcoming challenges, best thing I ate, and what I was grateful for. I tracked my meals and activity about 100 of those 121 days. I learned a lot about how my hunger gets affected by my hormonal cycles and so am better prepared to anticipate spikes in appetite. I became more aware of portion control (though that's still an area where I totally struggle). And best of all, I got my regular yoga practice back of about 3 times a week, and I credit the yoga for the fact that I didn't get sick when DH & B came home with that nasty cough that lasted a month. I'm going to start a new "challenge" for myself today. Whereas this last challenge focused on the conscious choices I made throughout the day (e.g. took stairs instead of elevator, gave Bodhi all the cheese and avocado from my burrito, etc.) this time, the focus is going to be on planning ahead for the next day. I make these questionnaires that I fill out on my blog each day. With the new challenge, half the entries will be about how I did on that day, but the other half is going to be on formulating plans about what I'm going to eat and what I plan to do to exercise the next day. It's another area that I notice I lack in. I am constantly reacting rather than being proactive which doesn't lead to the best decisions at all times. So "conscious choices" are good on the fly, but I am betting that they're even better when they're made well ahead of time and I stick to them. I have 11.5 weeks this time (leading up to our surf trip to Puerto Rico). I think it's realistic to hope to lose 5 lbs, although I'd prefer to lose 7 in that time period. I'd also like to get a regular hike in at least 2 times a week, to take advantage of all the good walking in the immediate area.

The good news is that, after I lose another 5 lbs, I feel there'd be room to lose some more, which would give me the opportunity to kick off the next challenge I thought of... "The 7 Habits for Highly Effective Weight Loss" or something like that, where I talk about my eating and fitness in terms of the 7 Habits. Cheesy, but I do like my dairy.

Anyway, if you read all that, thanks for hanging in with it. I do post all this stuff on my "blog" but as I said before, it's like my pet rock. Practically every member of the site has their own, and people don't tend to read each other's. So it is nice to know that you ladies at least browse through what I write.
    Last edited by demigraf; 12-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.

And in good news: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1105536.html (Myles, did that talk you off that ledge?)

I haven't watched a single episode of Dexter. I am usually all over serial killer stuff, so I don't know why I haven't been interested.
    Last edited by Suja; 12-02-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Myles that weight loss is fantastic

Suja great article! Gives me some hope!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Myles, I'll pm the link over to you; thanks, everyone for looking at them and sharing your opinions with me. I'm still humming and hawing on which ones to order.

Your weight loss challenge looks really cool, Myles. I'd like to try something like that after Christmas to get me in to some kind of shape for our April cruise. You have such a nice writing style btw!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I'm still humming and hawing on which ones to order.
    Can't say I blame you. There are SO many good pictures to choose from. You have such an adorable family.

Forgot to tell you guys. Last night, the kid runs her hand through my hair, and says 'Softie'. She did that for a bit, then ran over to get her hammer (yeah, I know). Then proceeded to stroke my hair with the hammer. Weirdo!
    Last edited by Suja; 12-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Can't say I blame you. There are SO many good pictures to choose from. You have such an adorable family.

Forgot to tell you guys. Last night, the kid runs her hand through my hair, and says 'Softie'. She did that for a bit, then ran over to get her hammer (yeah, I know). Then proceeded to stroke my hair with the hammer. Weirdo!
    Thanks, Suja!

Kids are so funny with how random they can be! Travis is very tactile in that way; he loves to touch soft things and say, "soft, soft, soft."

Quote Originally Posted by Aelith View Post
    Coming out of lurking mode to say and I'd like to re-enter the Secular room if you'll have me (now that I have my sanity back and my rational hat on).

How's your pup doing? Big about that.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    So I mentioned before that I finished up my 121 day "Conscious Choices" weight loss challenge that I did with myself on Tuesday, and here are some stats: I lost 7.9 lbs, which was about 5% of my body weight. I'm happy with the pace of loss, which was a little under half a pound a week. I blogged 80 of those 121 days, with entries about the conscious choices that I made that day, upcoming challenges, best thing I ate, and what I was grateful for. I tracked my meals and activity about 100 of those 121 days. I learned a lot about how my hunger gets affected by my hormonal cycles and so am better prepared to anticipate spikes in appetite. I became more aware of portion control (though that's still an area where I totally struggle). And best of all, I got my regular yoga practice back of about 3 times a week, and I credit the yoga for the fact that I didn't get sick when DH & B came home with that nasty cough that lasted a month. I'm going to start a new "challenge" for myself today. Whereas this last challenge focused on the conscious choices I made throughout the day (e.g. took stairs instead of elevator, gave Bodhi all the cheese and avocado from my burrito, etc.) this time, the focus is going to be on planning ahead for the next day. I make these questionnaires that I fill out on my blog each day. With the new challenge, half the entries will be about how I did on that day, but the other half is going to be on formulating plans about what I'm going to eat and what I plan to do to exercise the next day. It's another area that I notice I lack in. I am constantly reacting rather than being proactive which doesn't lead to the best decisions at all times. So "conscious choices" are good on the fly, but I am betting that they're even better when they're made well ahead of time and I stick to them. I have 11.5 weeks this time (leading up to our surf trip to Puerto Rico). I think it's realistic to hope to lose 5 lbs, although I'd prefer to lose 7 in that time period. I'd also like to get a regular hike in at least 2 times a week, to take advantage of all the good walking in the immediate area.

The good news is that, after I lose another 5 lbs, I feel there'd be room to lose some more, which would give me the opportunity to kick off the next challenge I thought of... "The 7 Habits for Highly Effective Weight Loss" or something like that, where I talk about my eating and fitness in terms of the 7 Habits. Cheesy, but I do like my dairy.

Anyway, if you read all that, thanks for hanging in with it. I do post all this stuff on my "blog" but as I said before, it's like my pet rock. Practically every member of the site has their own, and people don't tend to read each other's. So it is nice to know that you ladies at least browse through what I write.
    You rock Myles! Congrats and I'm sure you look foxy as ever. I'm trying to figure out how not to gain 60 lbs while pregnant this time.

And in good news: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1105536.html (Myles, did that talk you off that ledge?)
    This reminded me that I saw an article on Yahoo News today saying a church in Kentucky banned interracial marriage. Yikes.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Coming out of lurking mode to say and I'd like to re-enter the Secular room if you'll have me (now that I have my sanity back and my rational hat on).

This
    Hi!! Welcome back. I actually do consider this room a padded room of sorts!

Okay, that made me LOL literally! That is so cute and unique! I also want to wish you a safe trip and hope you have a great time.

Ash, I would like to see the pics too! I posted a reply asking to when you first mentioned it but I see now that it is not there. APA is being pretty wonky with me lately.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

How's your pup doing? Big about that.

Thank you so much. He's OK. We made him "special dinner" for his homecoming last night (boiled ground turkey, rice, plain yogurt and cottage cheese) and he's been just laying around. He seems to be feeling a bit better on the predisone. I talked to his regular vet today and he told me I was doing the right thing by not doing the chemo, that a lot of dogs his age can't tolerate it and they end up being euthanized. He said we have about 6 weeks and then he'll decline very rapidly; when he refuses to eat, the vet told me it would be time to euthanize

He's such a special boy - we're really going to miss him. He has his own Facebook page and I posted Gandalf's farewell speech from LOTR for him

2/09 6/09 4/14

Thanks, Erin; I sent ya the link on PM.

Have a safe trip, Suja!

This

I can't even read the article about that church in KY. I've seen links to it in various places but I just find it so sickening and upsetting. In the state I've been in lately, I've had to avoid a lot of stories like that.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

My Dr prescribed Attivan and Wellbutrin and strongly recommended I see a counselor. He also discouraged me from making any life changing decisions for at least six months. I'm not sure how I feel about that. More trapped, I guess, but I also don't want to make a stupid decision either.

Counseling sounds like a good idea, Chrissy. Maybe schedule something like that and take some baby steps about the other stuff.

Nice job with the weight loss Myles!

Hi, everyone. Catching up from today - I did not know that about the Salvation Army, but I'm not a fan of theirs anyway.

Still no AF. I called the RE's office this morning to ask what the doctor said yesterday. He wants to do an ultrasound to check for evidence of ovulation, which I was not able to schedule until next Wednesday due to my work schedule. I was home sick yesterday with my cold/flu, so I don't feel in a position to cancel any appointments to go get my ultrasound. I also have to get my thyroid re-checked, since I keep putting that off. I'll do that Monday am. So I should have some sort of update next week.

I'm SO glad I have an RE. Last time I went through something similar (several years ago) my ob/gyn refused to do a blood test and just left me to wait it out. She made me feel crazy. I'm so happy my doctor wants to explore this and find out why it is happening.

In good news, my real boss (lead SLP) sat in for me in my afternoon meetings yesterday and presented my reports to the families. She told my partner that my reports were very well-written and thorough. I don't know that she's ever read any of my work before. Due to our insane chain of command I've never had another SLP evaluate me (only principals who don't understand what I do). It felt really great to hear that.

Hi, Aelith! Didn't I get to know you in a very different forum?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm glad AF still hasn't shown up but man it's frustrating to have to wait till Wednesday.

Kudos to having your superior acknowledge your work. That's awesome!

Yay Myles on the weight loss and for sticking with it!!

I'm glad you got kudos for all your hard work, Mandy. Sorry you still have to wait things out though.

Mandy, I have been thinking about you all day wondering if you had any answers yet.
    Chrissy, how do feel about your appt? Do you feel like you got help? Did they take blood tests to see if there is any other reasons for your fatigue?
    Mylah, congrats on the weight loss! That's such a great feeling.

I know some of you already commented in my other thread but school is going so well for Savana. She still says she hates it but she clearly does not. She tells me she is just sticking it out until christmas and then that's all she will want, no presents, just to start homeschool again. We shall see. I have to say that I am so proud of her in many ways. I pack a snack and lunch for her every day but told her that it was up to her for morning snack to decide if she wants to eat what is offered or eat what I pack. I want her to have some freedom to decide for herself. She makes such great choices. For example she will occasionally tell me she chose to have a brownie but will always turn down the colored goldfish because it has artificial dyes. I can support that reasoning She told me today there was a cake in little packages (twinkies?) and she had instead chose her bran muffin with jelly and a mandarin orange.

We have agreed to go to "breakfast with santa" my older brother's church next weekend when we visit. I am very worried about what my kids might say regarding Santa/God/Church.

Oh goodness Bridget! That'll be interesting!

That's so good of Savanna to choose her healthy snacks rather than the crappy ones. And I'm very proud of you for allowing her. I think that's so important. I hope she forgets about 'quitting' school at Christmas break. You know that's coming right up! I'd maybe talk to her about missing all her friends if she didn't go there to see them. ?? You know her best. Maybe that wouldn't be a good idea.

As for my dr's appointment, he didn't draw any blood. But I'm 99.9% sure that depression/anxiety is what ails me. I've been here before so I know what it is. Well, this time I haven't let it get as bad before making a dr's appointment. I was able to get tearful at the dr's today (talking about what happened with Bobbie) but I still haven't all out cried like I want to.

I am so proud of Savana, for sticking it out and making good choices.

It seems like she is getting chances to make good decisions (like the brownie and not the goldfish) that she wouldn't get as often at home. And she seems ready and able to deal with those choices. It's an important skill in life.

Chrissy, sorry I didn't respond. How are you feeling about the meds? I agree you should have testing for other issues, too.

Bridget, thanks for thinking of me. I love to know you girls are out there, caring.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-02-2011 at 08:45 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Hi ladies,

I feel like I've just been checking in briefly and taking care of business and not responding to anything. Between my latest cold and the twins' new bunkbed and the accompanying excitement and refinancing my house one evening and dh dropping his computer in the bathtub (d/t twin shenanigans) and working late trying to fix it, I have not gotten much sleep or much of anything done. I whisk in, delete a bunch of double posts, do some spam deletion and spammer banning, respond with a couple of easy one-liners out in the main forums, and then I'm gone again.

My Dad has taken to sending me (the kids) 1-3 books a day. He reads the blog, sees that they're drawing more, then sends me some books on how to draw. Or he sends some story books. Or today he sent them a beautifully illustrated book that was essentially a prayer from St. Francis of Assisi, only I didn't realize it until it was too late. The first page is "We come to sing a song of praise to you, O God, the Lord of Heaven and Earth, who by your power and out of your love have created all things and called them good." The last page has a section that says "Be praised, my Lord, through our Sister Bodily Death, from whose embrace no living person can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those she finds doing your most holy will. The second death can do no harm to them. Praise and bless my Lord, and give thanks, and serve him with great humility." I could not distract them by pointing out the pretty pictures, and there was no non-praisey text to use instead. Claire kept saying, "Stop talking about the pictures and READ, Mom!"

There was so much about this book that they could not have understood. I tried to explain what a saint was, what a prayer was, why people try to talk to Gods, what Catholicism is. I didn't even try to talk about sin or heaven. I have a big pile of books to donate (and yes, I knew about the Salvation Army) and I think I'm going to have to give this away. My dad is coming out next week and I hope he doesn't ask about it.

Chrissy, I'm glad you went to the doctor. That was a big step. I know how you feel about medications, and I know it was hard even thinking about asking for help. I also think it was a great idea to suggest not making any big decisions for another six months. That is actually really common-sense for a life in turmoil, and I feel badly that it never occurred to me to think that. How are you feeling about the appointment in general? Do you think you will try counseling?

I have to tell you that it is really common to have a mood swing downward after actually seeking help for depression - it happened to me with my PPD, it happens to a lot of people. It's almost as if once you finally admit that everything is not okay, you have given yourself permission to not maintain that semblance of a perfect life or at least the impression of holding on. I spent a couple of days bawling under the covers after I called my doctor.

Gwenn, I have been thinking of you. I am glad your RE is working with you to try to get some answers. I want to see a picture of you holding your baby in your arms someday soon.

Suja, still jealous of your organized packing and wishing you a fabulous trip.

Bridget, I am so glad that Savana is doing well. Incidentally, my children frequently balk at going to school in the mornings, and when I pick them up in the evenings refuse to leave. DS in particular will tell me he doesn't like school in general, doesn't like the teachers, doesn't like anything about it, and when I go to pick him up he's always happy as a clam and tells me he had a wonderful day and he played with everyone.

Mylah, congratulations on your weight loss. I am so proud of you. It is not easy to be mindful of food intake, and I've been struggling with that myself lately.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 12-02-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Gwenn, I have been thinking of you. I am glad your RE is working with you to try to get some answers. I want to see a picture of you holding your baby in your arms someday soon.
    This made me a little teary-eyed. Thank you. I'm not sure I completely believe that will ever happen.

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. I'm mucking around with the luggage to keep from going crazy. Tomorrow, we drop the dogs off. It's going to be so weird in the house without them. I'm already starting to worry - it's such a long time, especially with them being so old.

Mandy, glad you heard back from the RE. Hope wednesday brings you good news. I'll definitely try to login then to check. And kudos on the recognition from your boss.

Myles, congrats on the weight loss. You are incredibly organized and thoughtful about it. I came within 2 pounds of my goal weight, but back in the 'need to lose 10 pounds again' land.

Bridget, you need no further proof that you're doing a fabulous job. Lord knows I would cave to such temptation, and I'm just a tad older than Savana. You've got a good kid there.

Chrissy, I hope that the meds and therapy help you get to a better place. You take good care of yourself.

Have a safe trip Suja!

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    This made me a little teary-eyed. Thank you. I'm not sure I completely believe that will ever happen.
    great big ((hugs)) I really want to squeeze you tight right now.

L, we know you're insanely busy. That's too bad about the laptop in the bathtub. How the heck did that happen? I hope everyone feels well and stays well for an extended period of time. I think you've had more than your share of the ickies in your family lately.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Chrissy, I'm glad you went to the doctor. That was a big step. I know how you feel about medications, and I know it was hard even thinking about asking for help. I also think it was a great idea to suggest not making any big decisions for another six months. That is actually really common-sense for a life in turmoil, and I feel badly that it never occurred to me to think that. How are you feeling about the appointment in general? Do you think you will try counseling?

I have to tell you that it is really common to have a mood swing downward after actually seeking help for depression - it happened to me with my PPD, it happens to a lot of people. It's almost as if once you finally admit that everything is not okay, you have given yourself permission to not maintain that semblance of a perfect life or at least the impression of holding on. I spent a couple of days bawling under the covers after I called my doctor.
    Thanks L. Overall I feel good about the appointment and especially about the dr. He was very empathetic, but he didn't let me glaze over anything. He really wanted to know. I'm sure he needed details so he could make an appropriate diagnosis, but it was clear he was also compassionate. He's also very intelligent and that's important. I know he wants me to make an appointment with a counselor, and I had every intention of doing so as soon as I got home...but Rich was here. He knew I'd be out of work early because of the appointment, so he took off so he could be home with me too. I don't know how to make him realize that that sort of thing is not helping at all. It's making me feel more smothered, trapped, and cornered. It contributes to my feelings of wanting to run.

And I did know that you shouldn't make any huge decisions whilst in turmoil, but there is a huge part of me that thinks perhaps my depression/anxiety is stemming from my circumstances. That just maybe if I get out of here I can finally get over this. I do realize that could be the depression talking. It's really hard to know. That's when the dr pointed out that a counselor can help me make those decisions. I have to make a follow-up appointment with him in 3 weeks. I know if I don't have an appointment with a counselor scheduled by then, he'll give me a hard time. Nicely, but firmly...if that makes sense.

I wasn't under the covers crying (I wish) but I did have a few tearful moments and expressed some more of my feelings to Rich. I definitely felt what you described-the charade is over. I've admitted I'm in a dark place and can't handle it alone any more. Rich's suggestion was for 'us' to go to therapy together. I instantly got angry and said, "No! I'm doing individual therapy alone." He was hurt and I know he was only attempting to be supportive, but again it felt to me like I have no space of my own and he's crowding me.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 12-03-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Oh, I've totally forgotten twice now to post that Mom got her egg yesterday and she absolutely loves it! She was all teary-eyed and touched. I just knew it would be a hit with her and I wasn't surprised.

I couldn't locate a dome/case to put it in and forgot to order one from you Katy, so she's keeping it in the box till we can get one because she's terrified 'something' will happen to it.

She called me last night and just raved and raved about that egg, thanking me over and over, for at least 40 minutes. Best.gift.ever for her. Thank you Katy!!

Chrissy. I understand why you feel trapped and want to run. But I do think it's important to listen to what the doctor is saying, starting with making your counseling appointment. Like the doctor said, going to counseling is going to help you in making big life decisions. It doesn't mean it's just giving in and resigning yourself to stay.

I would be feeling smothered, too, in your position.

Yay!! I will be doing a post office run next week, so if you want a dome, I can ship you one for $15. Just send $ on paypal and I can get that done for you. If not, then you and your mom can keep your eyes peeled at thrift stores or craft stores. Also, it might be worth the time to call around at doll shops or clock shops - anywhere they might have something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh, I've totally forgotten twice now to post that Mom got her egg yesterday and she absolutely loves it! She was all teary-eyed and touched. I just knew it would be a hit with her and I wasn't surprised.

I couldn't locate a dome/case to put it in and forgot to order one from you Katy, so she's keeping it in the box till we can get one because she's terrified 'something' will happen to it.

She called me last night and just raved and raved about that egg, thanking me over and over, for at least 40 minutes. Best.gift.ever for her. Thank you Katy!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Suja, where are you going? India? How long will you be gone?

Myles, awesome job on the weight loss and sticking to something for so long.

Lydia, were you able to fix the laptop? Oh man I would have been so upset if that had happened to me.

Chrissy, I don't know much about your situation since I'm not able to follow along in here very much but I really hope that the new medication and counseling helps you. And good god I can't believe the drivers ed teacher

I'm starting a low carb diet on Monday now that DD is starting to wean to bottles. (I figured I could post that here without feeling judged by the rest of APA.) I was on a diet a few months ago and lost 23 lbs but then I gained 13 back I hate the way I look, I hate what the scale says, I feel like it's hopeless and I will never be "normal". I know my body image is having a negative impact on my sex life too (which I'm hoping gets a little better after I'm done breastfeeding but I'm not holding much hope in that either.) Blaaaah.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*