Page 866 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3667668168568648658668678688769169661366 ... LastLast
Results 25,951 to 25,980 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    So, I hope tomorrow is a better day. I got a lot of my Christmas cards written today; I wondered if anyone would want one from us if we did an informal exchange? Not sure if y'all are up for that kind of thing but thought I'd ask.

Teaching is going well right now, but all teachers are out on strike on Wednesday along with many other civil servants due to changes to their pensions. So, the next time I'm in school is this Friday and will be teaching the kiddies about exclamation points and question marks...will have to find a creative way to make those interesting!
    I'd love to! Although, I don't have any cards yet. I was thinking about doing it this year, and this would be a great excuse!

I don't suppose teaching them about APA would be appropriate?!

I hope you feel better very soon.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Thanks, Chrissy!

Oh, we did get some good news today; DH came home and told me he's been moved to a new team at work with more responsibilities, so that means he'll be promoted up to the next pay scale soon. He's "chuffed" about it as they say here! (I seem to be using the happy face smiley a lot lately instead of saying LOL.....Kate!)

Hi! Suja, I remember my bff's husband (Indian) wanted to shave their daughters heads too...she didn't go for it and both seem to have great hair.

Chrissy, hopefully Bobbie works things out. And if nothing else and it was her mistake, I bet that she doesn't make it again. It is strange that nobody called her though.

Kate that is great that you guys had a good time seeing Joey!

Bridget, hope that it's not a sign of the winter that kids will be out sick. Too bad our gov sucks. Still have to go find myself a recall petition to sign.

PSA for the day....do not stick q-tips in your ears. DH was complaining of an ear ache so i forced him to go to urgent care on Saturday after two days of pain. turns out the dope didn't realize he left the head of a q-tip in there and it was decently far down...too much for tweezers so they had to flush it out and it took a good amount of solution for that.

otherwise thanksgiving went well and all three dogs got along ok and we watched a lot of movies...easiest thing to do while still watching Molly the dog..she's now 10 weeks old so still needs constant supervision. I will be very happy once she can be home and not be supervised all the time (when we are there...when not, crate it will be for a long while). And when she stops biting....she is pretty good most of the day but like 2-3 times a day gets a bug up her behind and gets super fiesty, wants to bite and pounce Cosmo.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 11-28-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Poor Bobbie! I hope just as few days of demonstating she can do the job will make the first offense completely forgettable.

Bridget, you are so sweet to consider the families' situations even above your own. I'm gonna you just for that. Can you set up any kind of a "sick care" service on days like today so families can have that as an alternative and you'd get paid for it?

Molly, I'll meditate today in yoga for you and send you my best intentions from the west.

Erin, perhaps you could just be up front with your current boss about the possible move you'd make with your DH, and let her decide. She might just think you're worth the gamble. It might even entice her to sweeten the deal if she thinks it'd prevent you from moving away at all. As for the other old boss, I suppose I would just wait to see if any of her offers come to pass before seriously making a decision based on the possibility of a newly-created position for you. You are so personable, and apparently efficient, and that must be worth its weight in gold around your companies. No wonder you're valued!

Ash, I'd be "well-chuffed" if I were your DH. Now if only you'd start feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Depression and other mental disorders are so cruel. You really cannot make good decisions when your brain isn't functioning properly
    You just said a mouthful, sister. That's why it's so hard to manage my frustration with this friend, who, btw, is diagnosed bi-polar with a history of major depression. She's very high functioning. She's an architect I met in college who oversees the construction of hospitals. She can be incredibly thoughtful and considerate of other people. But when she has episodes like this, something breaks down in her thinking and she just - I don't know - forgets that her hurts, fears and insecurities aren't anyone else's problem, and she lashes out at people. When she first learned of the new girlfriend, I started getting these manic text msgs from her, not about her concern for her daughter, but how she's being "replaced as a mother". I confess, she wanted me to call her around that time, and I purposely stuck to text messages because I felt I could compose my thoughts to her better in that format. I just told her to stay positive and keep her daughters' best interests in mind. "Hopefully this new woman (dad's gf) is a very good person and will be an excellent addition to your little girl's life."

DH & I always feel a little more grateful for each other when the subject of her (or my sister) comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    PSA for the day....do not stick q-tips
    Where?!? Where?!?

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Where?!? Where?!?

yeah I had to go back and finish that when I hit enter too soon!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

PSA for the day....do not stick q-tips in your ears. DH was complaining of an ear ache so i forced him to go to urgent care on Saturday after two days of pain. turns out the dope didn't realize he left the head of a q-tip in there and it was decently far down...too much for tweezers so they had to flush it out and it took a good amount of solution for that.
    I tell that to the kid ALL the time. Of course, she's only 21 months old I use them for cleaning the ear folds, and she likes to try and do the same thing, but invariably ends up sticking them where they shouldn't go.

Thanks, Chrissy!

Oh, we did get some good news today; DH came home and told me he's been moved to a new team at work with more responsibilities, so that means he'll be promoted up to the next pay scale soon. He's "chuffed" about it as they say here! (I seem to be using the happy face smiley a lot lately instead of saying LOL.....Kate!)
    See, we could start a revolution and remove the use of LOL.

I always heard you're not supposed to stick Q tips in your ears...but then what are they for?? Just the folds?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

I always heard you're not supposed to stick Q tips in your ears...but then what are they for?? Just the folds?
    Yaknow, I try not to use emoticons or shorthands, but often end up putting them in anyway because I'm not sure my point will be taken in the right light otherwise. Tone is so hard to convey in writing.

I use Q tips for cleaning ear folds, and any wax that's sitting right at the opening of the ear canal, but don't actually stick it in. I think you'd have to go quite a ways to do actual damage, but why take chances?

Oh yeah. I'm not condemning the use of LOL, I just felt like I was using it too often. I totally understand slipping in a LOL so people understand the intended tone.

What does 'chuffed' mean, exactly?

otherwise thanksgiving went well and all three dogs got along ok and we watched a lot of movies...easiest thing to do while still watching Molly the dog..she's now 10 weeks old so still needs constant supervision. I will be very happy once she can be home and not be supervised all the time (when we are there...when not, crate it will be for a long while). And when she stops biting....she is pretty good most of the day but like 2-3 times a day gets a bug up her behind and gets super fiesty, wants to bite and pounce Cosmo.
    I won't buy q-tips. I've always heard (from dr's, no less) that they're evil and invariably end up where they don't belong.

The puppy stage can last 2 years. I'll never adopt a puppy again.

You just said a mouthful, sister. That's why it's so hard to manage my frustration with this friend, who, btw, is diagnosed bi-polar with a history of major depression. She's very high functioning. She's an architect I met in college who oversees the construction of hospitals. She can be incredibly thoughtful and considerate of other people. But when she has episodes like this, something breaks down in her thinking and she just - I don't know - forgets that her hurts, fears and insecurities aren't anyone else's problem, and she lashes out at people. When she first learned of the new girlfriend, I started getting these manic text msgs from her, not about her concern for her daughter, but how she's being "replaced as a mother". I confess, she wanted me to call her around that time, and I purposely stuck to text messages because I felt I could compose my thoughts to her better in that format. I just told her to stay positive and keep her daughters' best interests in mind. "Hopefully this new woman (dad's gf) is a very good person and will be an excellent addition to your little girl's life."

DH & I always feel a little more grateful for each other when the subject of her (or my sister) comes up.
    It's really rough dealing with someone that's bipolar. They do often end up being alone because it's so difficult for people to deal with. They're also frequently very creative so the fact that she's an architect doesn't surprise me. I hope she never has to be prescribed Lithium...it works great for managing bipolar disorder, but the creativity and intelligence suffers significantly as a side effect.

Maybe it's a NE thing 'cause that's what I always heard too...even my own dr from when I was a small child admonished me (and my mom) to never, ever, never use q-tips. Especially not in the ears. My dad used to use them to clean small components when he was tinkering (like the insides of radios and such). That's what I always thought they were for!

My audiology professor gave us lecture notes printed off from powerpoint and one series of slides was graphic photographs of ear damage/diseases. One was labeled "too much q-tip." Suffice it to say I'm convinced of why q-tips and ear canals should not be friends. I'll have to dig that up so I can share - it's in a box somewhere with all my old lecture notes.

Myles, that is so sad about your friend and her baby. My heart just breaks for all of them. I hope they can find some balance for all of them to get what they need.

It's been a rough day emotionally. Also my first day with my old eval partner who is filling in for my new partner who is now out on disability. Nice to work with P again as I missed her. We had a rough day between a really depressing case this morning, the computers not working, and trying to find a new "rhythm" to work together again. For all that, I left in a more positive mental state than I have in years despite the fact that DH locked the keys in the car, was late to pick me up, and I had to cancel my PT appointment. P is just so calm and easygoing and makes me laugh - despite a hard day I'm happier at the end of the day. I miss her.

Still no AF and my boobs are seriously sore - like I had to take my bra off because it was painful to wear sore. Also feeling a little shaky. I'm probably getting sick. I told DH I need to go buy more tests, and since he will NEVER understand ovulation and the menstrual cycle, and I told him when he came back it was likely too late in the cycle, he's now asking about my secret relations with "Jermaine." He's kidding. Mostly.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

It's so nice when you have a coworker that can make the more difficult days still end on a positive note. My promise to myself for the New Year is to try and get myself in that position as well. I like my boss, but he is a bit negative and not only is it taxing, but I get sucked into it too easily. I've found myself ignoring the phone/emails and that's not me.

I don't know how it would play out, but I hope somehow you can get to be back with your partner on a more permanent basis. I'm so sorry about your difficult case

I forgot to update about Bobbie's job...she double checked her schedule and she was indeed marked to be off on Saturday. The manager that called her wasn't on today and Bobbie didn't feel like bringing it up with any of the other managers. Apparently, any of them (and there seems to be a lot of them) can call her and witch her out whenever they feel like it and there's not really any support for the 'lowly' workers such as herself. She's just going to overlook this and hope nothing like it happens again. Needless to say, I'm worried for her and I'd like for her to find another job asap.

On the bright side, in late January she'll be living in Dryden, which is a good 40-50 miles away. I'm going to tell her flat out that that's too far to drive for a minimum wage job and we won't be able to keep up on the car repairs for her if she chooses to drive that far. She's already talked about applying for jobs near her college or perhaps working as a work study student. I'm going to strongly encourage her to do so.

Also, P called my cell phone and left me a voice mail letting me know that the kid whose file I brought home to work on tonight, that I have to HAND-WRITE the review of data for tomorrow's meeting since the parents never brought the birth certificate so the kid isn't in our computer system, cancelled their appointment tomorrow. She wanted to be sure I didn't do all that work at home only to find out the child cancelled. Made my evening that she called to tell me that.

Maybe instead we could commandeer "LOL" and make it stands for something else, like "Lack of Levity" or "Loss of Like-ability". So every time someone uses it in the traditional sense, we can secretly giggle about the unintended meaning behind it. Bwahahaha!

Except that would be mean.

You'll have to excuse me. I'm just on an acronym high today. I have ALWAYS wanted to name a system I design and today my wish came true. We are in the process of developing a more graphical web-based front end to an application that users type codes into a command-line. The system begins with "T" (full name of which I shouldn't share), but the name I camed up with is "T.I.G.E.R." which stands for "T"-Interfaced GUI-Enhanced Relay. People are really happy with the name. If I never have another child, I'll still feel like I gave birth to something else.

L.O.L.

====================

Mandy, I'm really sorry about your rough day. I'm truly hoping this is just a downcycle, and things will be on the upswing soon.

Chrissy, Bobbie only has to work there another month? I wouldn't even worry about it, then. I think she can suck it up, get as many hours as she can and just take home those paychecks for the next few weeks. I imagine that kind of work will only make her more appreciative of her college education while she's getting it.
    Last edited by demigraf; 11-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Chrissy, Bobbie only has to work there another month? I wouldn't even worry about it, then. I think she can suck it up, get as many hours as she can and just take home those paychecks for the next few weeks. I imagine that kind of work will only make her more appreciative of her college education while she's getting it.
    You're right. I have to say-I've had 'crappy' jobs with ridiculous 'rules' before, but none this bad. I hate that my daughter has to suffer there. That probably sounds worse than it is...she doesn't seem to think she's suffering. I guess it's harder to watch your child in that environment than it is to be in one like it yourself.

Mandy, I think that thoughtful phone call from your coworker was very sweet.

My two selves are having this conversation:

Pregnant me: "You should have a bag of gummy worms for dinner."

Rational me: "Um, gross?! We don't even have any gummy worms. I think the last time I ate gummy-anything I was 8 years old."

Pregnant me: "Gummy worms come in lots of delicious flavors. Want them."

Rational me: "How about some natural licorice? We have some in the pantry, I think. I wouldn't even know where to get gummy worms."

Pregnant me: "I bet your DH would know where to get gummy worms."

Rational me: "I'm not involving DH in this, he'll just take your side. You can have a Dr. Sears Chewy Vitamin and that's my last offer."

Pregnant me: "Need gummy worms."

Next thing I know pregnant self has rational self trying to find an online recipe for homemade gummy worms....

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

You may as well learn right how, sometimes I encourage bad behavior. I say listen to pregnant you and make those gummy worms!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Yaknow, I try not to use emoticons or shorthands, but often end up putting them in anyway because I'm not sure my point will be taken in the right light otherwise. Tone is so hard to convey in writing.
    I had a friend (in the computer science department) who had a t-shirt that said "A smiley emoticon doesn't make you less of a jerk when you say mean things". lol.

ETA: I reread that and needed to clarify. And I don't think you've said anything mean, it just reminded me of the shirt. I added that smiley and lol non-ironically, btw, actually without thinking about it.

...you're right, tone is really difficult to convey.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 11-28-2011 at 07:23 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Dbf plays online poker and about a year ago he was reading to me something he'd typed to a player who had just lost a hand or whatever and he read, "Lots of luck". I looked over at his screen and said, "You know LOL stands for, Laugh out loud, right?"
    He was arguing with me! And then it dawned on him that some players seemed offended when he wrote that. However, it was months before he truly believed me that it means laugh out loud to everyone and not that to some and lots of luck to others. He'd be like, "Are you sure?"
    Um, yes. I am sure.
    My brother and I still say lol to eachother when wishing luck to one another after that story. We give him **** for it all the time and it never get old!
    Last edited by Bridget; 11-28-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Oh, and I forgot to tell y'all that Savana had a wonderful day at school. She joyfully shared every detail. When I picked her up her teacher said she is showing new confidence in the routine and is like a little sponge listening really well and eager to learn. Yay Savana!!
    I also wanted to say that I have been having some awesome times with Kai. Savana is pretty demanding of my attention and also the one in charge when her and Kai play. He's getting some time to shine and I love that.

LOL! I love that you give him crap sometimes. Is that evil of me? I don't care!

I really love that Savanna had a great day. You can remind her of that if she gets anxious about going to school again.

It's like that joke I see circulating of the older woman who broke the news of a family member's dead via text. She said "Frank passed away. LOL" The receiver of the text says "Why are you laughing?" and the woman says "Oh! I thought it meant Lots Of Love!"

I'm so glad Savana had a good day, Bridget.

Mandy, how sweet of the family to say they wouldn't be there.

Molly...did I miss the announcement? Congrats! Eat those gummy worms!

Chrissy, when you say Bobbie is living in Dryden in a month, what do you mean? I think I missed something else....

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to tell y'all that Savana had a wonderful day at school. She joyfully shared every detail. When I picked her up her teacher said she is showing new confidence in the routine and is like a little sponge listening really well and eager to learn. Yay Savana!!
    I also wanted to say that I have been having some awesome times with Kai. Savana is pretty demanding of my attention and also the one in charge when her and Kai play. He's getting some time to shine and I love that.
    This makes me so happy, for both Savana and Kai.

And LOL about your LOL story!

I used to avoid emoticons, but somehow I fell prey to them and now I'm addicted. Can't help myself.

Oh, and DH and I went to Target and bought a new toaster oven and a package of pregnancy tests. How is that for random? Not sure if I'll test tomorrow am but I will within the next few days if AF stays away.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.

It's like that joke I see circulating of the older woman who broke the news of a family member's dead via text. She said "Frank passed away. LOL" The receiver of the text says "Why are you laughing?" and the woman says "Oh! I thought it meant Lots Of Love!"

I'm so glad Savana had a good day, Bridget.

Mandy, how sweet of the family to say they wouldn't be there.

Molly...did I miss the announcement? Congrats! Eat those gummy worms!

Chrissy, when you say Bobbie is living in Dryden in a month, what do you mean? I think I missed something else....
    It's more like 2 months, but shes going to be living in a dorm mid January. College is about 45 miles from where we live.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    This makes me so happy, for both Savana and Kai.

And LOL about your LOL story!

I used to avoid emoticons, but somehow I fell prey to them and now I'm addicted. Can't help myself.

Oh, and DH and I went to Target and bought a new toaster oven and a package of pregnancy tests. How is that for random? Not sure if I'll test tomorrow am but I will within the next few days if AF stays away.
    LUCK!

Oh cool! I feel totally out of the loop though.

Good luck Mandy!

Okay, internet finally came back on!

DH went to watch Monday Night Football at one of his friend's house. His friend named Ray Ray which always reminds me of an interlude on Kanye West's first CD (before he went extra loony) where they do the workout song and the lady is talking about all the things she got because of her new body. The last part is "and I ain't got to deal with Ray Ray broke a$$ no more." That always cracks me up and everytime DH mentions Ray Ray I think of that interlude and giggle. DH gets kind of peeved about my giggling since he always thinks I am laughing at him (I do laugh at him a lot but, shhhh, don't tell him that!). I like Ray Ray alright though. He is not particularly a horrible loser like most of DH's friends. He has a job and a wife and doesn't drink to excess. DH doesn't know his last name though so to me Ray Ray is not really a friend. All that to say there are times when I don't mind that DH has gotten into football when he never used to like sports at all. His non-liking of sports was one of the main things that actually made him more attractive since I cannot stand men who are rabid sports fans.

Elle has been in a baby/whiny phase for the past few days, since around Tuesday last week. She keeps whine/talking everything like she does not know how to speak correctly or something and it is really getting ridiculous. I hope she stops it soon.

Molly, your conversation with rational/PG you is pretty hilarious. I will be bad and agree with Chrissy to get some gummy worms. I eat whatever I want when I'm PG, especially in the first trimester since I get so ill that I usually lose weight. With Elle I lost 18 lbs in the first trimester with Ky I lost 15. That makes me think I need to get PG again to lose weight LOL!

Erin

Along the lines of losing weight--I'm curious if any of you know about dieticians-like if I asked my primary care doctor to refer me to one would the dietician charge me or does the insurance pay for it? I really feel like I need help with a sensible diet. Last time I lost weight it was with the help of this guy who told me not to eat any carbs-It worked great for a while but after I lost the weight I went right back to carbs and I've almost gained it all back. I feel like an elimination diet like that is too extreme.

I have a myriad of problems to go over with my primary care doctor when I see her on Thursday. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm looking forward to feeling better.

Kate, I think it's up to your insurance whether they'll pay for a dietitian or not.

Erin, I think all my kids went through a whiney stage. I just kept reminding them to talk in their normal voice. Nicely, of course.