Page 859 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3597598098498578588598608618699099591359 ... LastLast
Results 25,741 to 25,770 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Sounds lovely Chrissy!
    Mulled wine is my new favorite winter drink, Ash. Are fried taters like french fries?

So, DH is explaining to the child that the bear on her PJs is a teddy bear, not a gummy bear, the difference being that the former is real while the latter is fictional. She is going to be SO confused!

Lol!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My guess is fried taters are like home fried potatoes, since french fries are chips. Just a guess.

It has been another long and cranky day here, and I finally decided after one too many "He's touching me!" whines to take temperatures and yes, I was right, there were fevers again. It put the grown-ups on edge to hear the fighting all day, too. However, we had this moment of hilarity this afternoon, brought to you by Claire. Warning, this is totally not politically correct.

Claire: I am really looking forward to Skanksgiving.
    Me: Did you just say "SKANKSgiving?"
    Claire: Yes, Skanksgiving! It's going to be so much fun.
    DH: Oh, I remember the Skanksgivings of my youth. This brings back a lot of fond memories. Especially of the warm, brown skanks. (Sigh) Those were the days.
    Claire: Why are you laughing?

That's hilarious!! And yes-I really lol'd!!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh my golly gosh, L, that was funny! (That's my nephew's new phrase to keep him from saying "oh my god" in public!)

Kate, fried taters are not quite french fries. I am not too aware of Northern ways but I think most people North of the Mason-Dixon line might eat them at breakfast time. I had them at a cafe in Nyc once with a big breakfast. They're more a side dish down south. You usually boil the potatoes to make them soft and then you shallow fry them so that some turn out crispy and others are just squishy and lovely.

LOL, L & Suja! I shared this with my birth moms already, but to repeat it, last night, B & I were making airplanes out of bristle blocks and when I told him mine was a "bi-plane", he pointed at his own and said "Mine is a 'hello' plane".

Sorry to hear about the return of the fevers, L. Yes, that would explain a few grumpy outbursts.

DH & B have been fighting off the cough/cold that's been making its rounds lately. I have no symptoms, but when we played around with the ear thermometer this morning, I was the only one with the fever of almost 102. But I still feel fine and felt fine all day. I don't know what my temp is now, but I pretty much feel normal (with the exception of being run down from too little sleep last night, when the typical thing happened of Bodhi waking me up at 3:30 am, and me not being able to get back to sleep until 5:30am; I actually don't know why I'm still awake right now)

Incidentally, I seem to get fevers any time I get a chill. Eg., if I get stuck outside without enough warm layers, and I get that shivery feeling down to my bones, my face feels warm and flushed a few hours later after I've warmed up, and sometimes I even develop cold symptoms. I've never actually taken my temperature when I get that flushed feeling but I imagine it's a fever. I'll do the ear thermometer thing when it next happens. Anyway, what do you ladies know about the relationship between getting a chill and subsequently getting sick? I used to always argue with my mom that cold temperatures do not make you get sick, germs do. But I have to admit, the older I get, the more it does seem like being cold lowers my immune system and that's when I get something. I'd read that it's actually bette explained more by the fact that during colder months, people are inside more and thus swapping infections, but I don't know how that explains me spending a few hours outside with no contact with others, catching a chill and later on coming down with the sniffles in my living room. Just wondering if anyone else is the same way or knows of any research on the subject.

Myles, you would think that there is a correlation between the two since sickness is rampant in the winter. I hope you and your crew feel better very soon!

Speaking of word confusion, dh told me he'd offered some of our old baby clothes to someone at work but she told him that she's having a girl. He said to me, "Well, some of the clothes are bisexual, aren't they?" When I stopped laughing, I told him that I think he meant unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Oh my golly gosh, L, that was funny! (That's my nephew's new phrase to keep him from saying "oh my god" in public!)

Kate, fried taters are not quite french fries. I am not too aware of Northern ways but I think most people North of the Mason-Dixon line might eat them at breakfast time. I had them at a cafe in Nyc once with a big breakfast. They're more a side dish down south. You usually boil the potatoes to make them soft and then you shallow fry them so that some turn out crispy and others are just squishy and lovely.
    Oh, home fries! (you were right L!)
    L. I love the story about Skanksgiving.

Myles, you would think that there is a correlation between the two since sickness is rampant in the winter. I hope you and your crew feel better very soon!

Speaking of word confusion, dh told me he'd offered some of our old baby clothes to someone at work but she told him that she's having a girl. He said to me, "Well, some of the clothes are bisexual, aren't they?" When I stopped laughing, I told him that I think he meant unisex.

Haha! (my new phrase instead of LOL is Haha!)

lmao Ash! bi-sexual baby clothes! That's too funny!

Myles, I think it is germs that makes people sick, but I do suffer symptoms after getting cold too. And living where I do, I'm always cold between Oct and May, so I always feel run down, sniffly, and not well. I don't really think I'm sick, though...just that my body really, really hates to be cold. I even tense up and end up with back spasms because once I feel cold in my bones, it takes forever (it feels) to worm back up. I sit on the couch wrapped in a blanket shivering, feeling miserable. If I really got cold, I don't really warm up till I go to bed and turn on a heating pad.

Bisexual clothes. Hilarious.

Skanksgiving. I like the sound of that.

Dbf's mom swears that being cold lowers the immune system. She tells me it every single time she tries to make my kids put on socks in the house.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

From wisegeek.com:

"If you don’t wrap up, you’ll catch your death of a cold." Many of us have heard similar words of advice about the connection between being cold and catching an illness. Although most of us believe that being cold does not cause illness, the jury is officially still out. Most research supports that being cold does not affect one’s likelihood of catching a virus that causes the common cold or the flu.

Medical research in the 1950s exposed 400 volunteers to cold viruses using various temperatures and conditions as variables. The result was no difference in the rate of infection between the different groups. A similar study in the late 1960s produced comparable results.

However, some studies imply that being cold cause illness. Some arguments indicate that if you’re cold, your body is more stressed and therefore less resistant to fight a virus. Research by Cardiff University’s Common Cold Centre in Wales has proven that a drop in body temperature can cause a dormant cold virus to develop. If a person becomes chilled, for example by wearing damp clothes in cold weather, the blood vessels in the nose become constricted. When this occurs, the warm blood is closed off, no longer supplying the infection-fighting white cells.

One study involved the effects of volunteers placing their bare feet in an empty bowl for 20 minutes or soaking their feet in a bowl containing ice-cold water for the same length of time. Within five days after the experiment, more participants who had soaked their feet in cold water developed cold symptoms than the other participants. According to the study, most likely several of those participants already had the cold virus but were not yet displaying symptoms. The lowering of body temperature was a contributing factor; in this case being cold caused illness, not the virus, but the development of the virus.

The more likely reason that people tend to get sick more often in the winter season is the increased inside contact with others, some of whom have viruses. As the weather is chilly, people tend to stay indoors more often, making places such as schools, stores, airports and offices likely places to for catching a cold.

People usually catch colds via the airborne droplets from a sneeze. Other methods of catching a cold are by contact from the hand to nose or eye areas after direct contact with a person who has the virus or indirect contact, such as touching the same doorknob.

The best way to avoid a cold or virus is not to avoid being cold, but instead avoid crowded places and frequently wash your hands. And results from yet another study indicate that those who have a positive outlook and are upbeat are less likely to catch a cold than those who were had a more negative emotional style.

You guys were funny last night! LOL! (I said it, Kate!)

Bisexual clothes cracked me up.

Interesting about colds/getting sick. One thing I will say - we definitely have a flu season in the winter here in Tucson - and our weather is much nicer in the "winter". I actively avoid going outside in the summer, but in the winter I can just put on a jacket so I don't avoid it as much. Then again, I'm not in school, either so the kids don't pass germs to me.

DH brought something home from NY and I'm definitely getting sick. Yuck. I don't want to be sick.

You guys were funny last night! LOL! (I said it, Kate!)

Bisexual clothes cracked me up.

Interesting about colds/getting sick. One thing I will say - we definitely have a flu season in the winter here in Tucson - and our weather is much nicer in the "winter". I actively avoid going outside in the summer, but in the winter I can just put on a jacket so I don't avoid it as much. Then again, I'm not in school, either so the kids don't pass germs to me.

DH brought something home from NY and I'm definitely getting sick. Yuck. I don't want to be sick.

"Bisexual" clothes.

Thanks for posting that info, L. I think I did find that or a similar article in one of my "research expeditions" out into Google when debating my mom about it. I at least remember the cold feet experiment (and shivered at the thought). It's a real head-scratcher to me. I don't know why I obsess over it. I guess we know that too much cold can kill even without the presence of germs (hypothermia or "exposure"), so it wouldn't surprise me that cold lowers one's resistance in degrees (pun intended). Remember the part in Pride and Prejudice, when the sister trots out on horseback to her suitor's estate because her stingy mom wouldn't let her use the carriage, and she ends up practically on her death bed because it rained along the way? Because of that scene, it seems so old-worldy to me to get sick under those circumstances. It makes me sort of giggle when I think I caught a cold from ... well... catching cold.

I actually don't mind inclement rainy weather too much. We hike in it and have all suited up in our rain gear, Bodhi included, and rode our bikes in the rain. It was a warm rain, and it was a downpour. I remember riding past the pier and Bodhi just cackling because he was so excited from the sound of the rain and the huge pounding waves. I like stuff like that (although I'd choose a balmy summer's day any day). Being in the snow makes me feel mentally disabled, OTOH. Seriously. I'm just so inexperienced in it, that I don't think I ever get quite over the shock of it and/or my fear of being too cold. I ask dumb questions of DH like, "do people really drive in weather like this"?

Once DH & B get back from the market I think we might even try to plant out in the rain today. I got some kale and strawberry and rainbow chard starters. I meant to get some onions too to ward off pests but the garden center didn't have them. My other option is to gather seaweed from the beach and use it as mulch after a good rinsing to get the salt off it. I have done this before when we lived down south and it works miracles for warding off the snails. I hope it works here with the banana slugs.

Switching topics, I did lop off my hair last week. So it looks kind of like an outgrown bob and it's flipping up at the bottom, making me look a bit poodle-like. I'd asked the lady to give me an A-line so it's higher in the back/longer in front and was told yet again that my hair "won't do that", this time because it's too thin. I get that a lot from hairdressers. I can't do thick bangs because of my thin hair and cowlick. If I ever wanted a perm again (not since teenage years), I wouldn't be able to get soft waves because it's stick-straight (so if I ever wanted a perm again, it'd be those tight little crunchy curls that are so obviously fake). I can't get my hair certain colors without totally stripping it because there's too much of a red tone to it. A part of me suspects it's because I go to cheap places to get my hair cut and the stylists just lack the skills. Not that I want to have a torturous routine to get my hair in place every morning, but some part of me really objects to being told "never" under any circumstances.

OK, DH & B are back, and B is playing with 2 mini pumpkins, a lumpy orange gourd, and acorn squash and 3 mini-colored corn cobs, which he'd played with all morning. I feel like a total hippie earth mama when he entertains himself that way.

LOL! Haha!

Bi-sexual clothes... sounds like something DH would say.

I'm going in tomorrow to have my hair evaluated to see if it is a candidate for keratin straightening. My cousin had it done, and it really tamed her unruly hair. I'm hoping that it will allow me to have decent hair without any work when we go to humid Kerala.

Mylah, Your whole post made me smile, especially this part.[QUOTE=demigraf;1058486019. I remember riding past the pier and Bodhi just cackling because he was so excited from the sound of the rain and the huge pounding waves. I like stuff like that
    LOL! Haha! [/QUOTE]

DH is on a roll with his word mix-ups this weekend. I just asked him why someone on TV was upset and he said it was because "she is adopted and her gynecological mother had sold a story to the newspapers." :S

DH is on a roll with his word mix-ups this weekend. I just asked him why someone on TV was upset and he said it was because "she is adopted and her gynecological mother had sold a story to the newspapers." :S
    omg! What's with him? Does he do that often, or is this a new thing? I'd be in stitches!!!

Myles- you! I have enjoyed myself in the rain with the kids too. They're my favorite memories. Unfortunately, probably due to where we live, the rain is rarely warm enough to go play in. Rich & I did a bike marathon thing once (20 miles, which is nothing for serious bikers, but at that point I hadn't been on a bike for nearly 10 years, so it was a big deal for me). Anyway, during a period on that trip it started raining. It was so much fun!

My hair has gotten really curly in my 'old' age. It didn't curl till I was in my late 20's so I'm not sure what's up with that. I'd love to have it straightened, but I have no clue if that's possible. What's the criteria for that?

Fine, I will go back to saying LOL all the time if you guys are going to make fun of me!

It's a recent thing, Chrissy. I blame it on the mustasche he's growing for "Movember." It's taking up his brain cells....I can't wait til he shaves that thing off! It's usually my mom or MIL who do the word mix-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Fine, I will go back to saying LOL all the time if you guys are going to make fun of me!
    I was going to say that I had to go find my ass after lmao-ing earlier, but I didn't know if the joke could come through or if it would look like I was making a mean jab (I'd never do that, but sometimes humor doesn't come across correctly in written word).

Anyway, for better or worse I'm more conscious of how often I lol and find myself asking, "Did I really laugh, or just smile?"

It's a recent thing, Chrissy. I blame it on the mustasche he's growing for "Movember." It's taking up his brain cells....I can't wait til he shaves that thing off! It's usually my mom or MIL who do the word mix-ups.

What the heck is Movember anyway?

It's a charity thing they do where you get sponsored to grow facial hair for the month of November to raise awareness for testicular cancer.

Cool. I take it your dh's friends donate to the cause, and he simply goes X amount of time without shaving?

Rich could totally do that. He doesn't normally shave this time of year in an attempt to keep his face warm while hunting. For some reason, he's decided to not hunt this year. It's actually something else I feel irritated about. 1) I'd never ask him to give up something he's passionate about and 2) it further makes me feel suffocated and like he doesn't want me out of his sight for a second. That's a whole other issue though...

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    My hair has gotten really curly in my 'old' age. It didn't curl till I was in my late 20's so I'm not sure what's up with that. I'd love to have it straightened, but I have no clue if that's possible. What's the criteria for that?
    No idea. I'll let you know tomorrow, after the consult. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe texture/springiness is the deciding factor, which should not be an issue. My hair is wavy and not coarse. It's long, but I need to cut it too. Spendy, but if I can just leave it alone for a few months, worth it.

I'm sort of sensitive these days, so it's probably a good thing you didn't make the LMAO joke Chrissy
    What is keratin straightening? Like permanent straightening? I could go for that. My hair is just a little bit wavy and thick so if I don't brush it every 5 minutes it knots up badly and looks unkempt. I'd love to have either really straight hair or curly hair.

I have given up hope that I will get good Christmas pictures this year. When I can get baby S. to actually sit with the twins, he either makes ridiculous faces or bites his toes.

I am participating in No-Shave November, but it's just because I feel like it, not for any charitable reasons. I didn't realize that there were actually good reasons to do it.

I'm really enjoying the bisexual clothes and gynecological mother stories.

My hair has gotten much curlier as I've gotten older, too. I don't mind when I go to humid places, though, because I just roll with it. I tend to be about halfway between curly and straight, so I have to do something with it no matter what. I either make it curlier or straighter. When I'm in a humid place, it just makes it easier to do the curly styles, and it looks better that way.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 11-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.

I pretty much let my hair be curly, except around my face. I flat-iron that. It doesn't look half bad and once I have the dead trimmed off again it should be about my favorite hairstyle since the teased bangs period. I was loving my hair, but it's looking fried & dead right now.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What is keratin straightening? Like permanent straightening? I could go for that. My hair is just a little bit wavy and thick so if I don't brush it every 5 minutes it knots up badly and looks unkempt. I'd love to have either really straight hair or curly hair.
    It's not permanent, but lasts a few months. I don't overly care about my hair, but this time around, have events to attend, so need to look halfway decent without much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    It's not permanent, but lasts a few months. I don't overly care about my hair, but this time around, have events to attend, so need to look halfway decent without much effort.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes!