Page 858 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3587588088488568578588598608689089581358 ... LastLast
Results 25,711 to 25,740 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Bridget Savanna is wise beyond her years, you've done an amazing job with her mama

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Erin, I hope you get to go. I hate driving as well, but 10 miles is not far (unless you live around here and it takes an hour to cover 10 miles). I bet Elle would love the experience.

Last edited by demigraf; 11-18-2011 at 05:49 PM.

I think in a sense she's going to be better prepared for school than most of the kids, Bridget ;)
    Today DH surprised me and took me to the Wahlbergs' new burger joint called...are you ready for this...Wahlburgers. ;) I wasn't really impressed to be honest, the burgers weren't thick and juicy but really flat like you'd find at a fast food restaurant. Oh well!

Myles, as a fellow geek, I'm impressed and will assume you did it for a good reason. If you were 'mine' I'd be tempted to put deep freeze on your system lol

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ha, chrissy! I was a peeved because I asked the guy if I could put something on there, and he said it was against policy. That's fine. I've hopped around enough companies to know different ones allow different things. But the way he waggled his finger at me like I should've known better than to even ask rubbed me the wrong way, like his policy was absolute and industry standard. Was he inviting the challenge? LOL. I don't know, but...hack attack! (ok, TBH it was actually a much less sophisticated way I got around the system policy than it sounds that required no code, but I'm proud of myself anyway.)

kate, my DH is heartbroken that Wahlburgers wasn't good (and I told him you are a trained in culinary stuff and know a good burger). He was looking forward to his next trip home to try.

lmao-that's awesome! I probably shouldn't even admit this, but the hospital I worked at while in college had the most ridiculous 'lock down' software going. If you hit "cancel" instead of logging in, it simply wouldn't run and you could visit any website you wanted. You still had access to the patient's appointment scheduling software and all that. And...the computer ran faster and didn't freeze up/blue screen as often (even in '07 they were still running Windows NT machines ) so guess what i never signed in to ever?

Yeah, I was disappointed! The bread is nice and the toppings were decent. It's still worth a try. Has he been to their other restaurant Alma Nove? It's upscale, right across from Wahlburgers. I haven't been there yet.

Bummer. I hate going out to a new place and being underwhelmed. We so rarely go out to eat, it really feels like such a waste. So we tend to stick to a very few of our favorites.

I've never heard of either restaurant you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure 90% of the people who have heard of Wahlburgers and Alma Nove are blockheads (nkotb fans) and their families ;)

Myles, I missed reading what you did, but good for you! LOL

I had my moment of being a rebel at work today. We have yet another new "policy" at work stating that we need to get verbal permission before leaving campus for any reason. So I decided I would email my entire chain of command every time I went across the street for lunch and email them again when I returned, in addition to signing in/out in the office. I did this today for the second time and received and email stating that it was not necessary for me to notify her that I was eating lunch. LOL! Victory is mine! So I nicely apologized and stated that I was simply following her instructions - which resulted in her restating the policy to me as though I were an idiot. Oh, well - hopefully I made my point.

I did speak to my partner about the radiation today and she is receiving the external beam therapy so I'm not as worried. Thanks for the link, Suja, it's a good one and I will bookmark it.

Sorry about Wahlburger's, Kate. I'm so amused by the name. I keep meaning to try Culver's here but it's so crowded DH and I have driven by and then left twice, even though it's right next to our cat's dermatologist and we're there fairly frequently to pick up her medicine.

Bridget, It's a big step but Savana has a great head on her shoulders and strong values. She's better prepared for this than 99% of kids ever will be. That is crazy about the teacher being out on a planned absence, though.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I've heard of Culver's...never seen any around here though.

You rebel! Reminds me of high school where you had to get permission to set foot off campus. During the brief time I was a smoker I used to go with my friends to the church parking lot that you could throw a rock at from the school. I recently read that the school bought the church to convert to a class building or something, and I so wanted to comment "Gee, guess they can't smoke in the parking lot anymore!"

Go, Mandy! I don't know what kind of management decision that was to require you all to notify them when you're leaving campus. Maybe it's only for situations where you have to visit an external site as part of your job? I guess that would make sense. But to have to ask for permission to step away on a scheduled break, that's kind of insulting.

kate, I think DH would call himself more of a Funky Buncher than a Blockhead. And then he only jokingly likes the "Marky Mark" of that era. He's way more into him as an actor. Again, DH is extremely biased towards anything that hails from that part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Well. She loved it. That's the most important thing. She didn't want to leave when it was time to go, wanted to stay the whole day. The kids were all really sweet and helpful to her.

Her teacher was absent along with the principal which really annoyed me since I spoke to the principal yesterday at which time she told me today would be great. I then called back yesterday afternoon and left a voice mail of the exact time I would arrive and for her to please call me, left my number, if this would work and if I did not hear from her I would see her when I arrived.
    The secretary was like, "Yeah, we were hoping you would call first so we could tell you." Why not call me? They asked me if I could come back Monday and one look at Savana's face told me that was not an option. I happened to ask a woman who was in the room with the sub if Miss S was ill and said no it was a planned absence. Mmmkay.
    Also took a peek in the snack cabinet and was horrified but that's to be expected. On the way home Savana and I talked about it and I said I would send a snack every day and she could choose to have the one I send or the one theygive her. I asked her to keep in mind the things I have taught her about junk food and she said she'd only choose junk food once in awhile. I trust her. Gotta let go sometimes, right?

And just in case you thought otherwise, I'm still totally freaking out. The house is going to be really strange without Savana all day.
    I'm so happy she had a good day! and hugs to you.

I'm out of town in rural Colorado so my access to internet is intermittent. But I'll read all 17 bajillion pages when I get back.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Go, Mandy! I don't know what kind of management decision that was to require you all to notify them when you're leaving campus. Maybe it's only for situations where you have to visit an external site as part of your job? I guess that would make sense. But to have to ask for permission to step away on a scheduled break, that's kind of insulting.
    I do occasionally visit other sites (am required to, actually, by my actual supervisor who is not part of the site administration so whether I have her permission to go to those events/sites or not is kind of irrelevant). I think that particular policy, however, was in reference to a colleague who left her laptop at home and, since she needed it to work, went home to get it when she had a scheduled appointment cancel. Management was furious she left without asking them - would they have preferred her to sit at work and not work, over going home (20 minutes total) to get her laptop? Insane.

kate, I think DH would call himself more of a Funky Buncher than a Blockhead. And then he only jokingly likes the "Marky Mark" of that era. He's way more into him as an actor. Again, DH is extremely biased towards anything that hails from that part of the country.

lol! I cringe when people still refer to him as Marky Mark. LOL
    Why is he biased towards New Englanders?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Why is he biased towards New Englanders?
    Just 'cause he's a Masshole, born and bred in the Merrimack River Valley.

If the name Marky Mark gives you the willies, you should hear it being said w/ DH's accent. He pahks the cah in Hah-vud Yahd.

Lol!

Sorry I'm saying LOL a lot. It makes me look like I'm sitting here laughing in front of my computer all the time.
    I'm trying to cut down on the use of it but sometimes I have to fight the urge and sometimes I don't even notice I'm doing it so much.

I kind of like the idea of you sitting at your computer laughing all the time!

Dbf had the audacity to get mad at me when I fell asleep at 10 last night while watching tv with him. This is after he slept all afternoon. He has no idea how little sleep I get because I sleep with Sawyer down in the daycare so no one else gets disturbed.

Molly, hope you are enjoying yourself! How are you feeling?
    Erin, did you make it to the movie?

You ladies do make me laugh a lot! But I'm not sitting here literally LOLing as much as it looks like I am! (had to resist the urge to put LOL at the end of that)

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Sorry I'm saying LOL a lot. It makes me look like I'm sitting here laughing in front of my computer all the time.
    I'm trying to cut down on the use of it but sometimes I have to fight the urge and sometimes I don't even notice I'm doing it so much.
    I never noticed...but I lol a lot at my computer. You can ask my boss!

I kind of like the idea of you sitting at your computer laughing all the time!
    That made me smile-out-loud. For real!

Dbf had the audacity to get mad at me when I fell asleep at 10 last night while watching tv with him. This is after he slept all afternoon. He has no idea how little sleep I get because I sleep with Sawyer down in the daycare so no one else gets disturbed.
    How do you not scream at him? Especially about stuff like this. Some of his antics are eyeroll worthy, but this would probably light me off like a rocket.

I received an email from my father's wife this morning telling me not to worry about doing anything for them for Christmas because they're helping the flood victims. In other words, what she really means is she's not doing anything for my kids. Or us, but I don't care about that. I don't really care about the kids except that she constantly does stuff for her grandkids and never for mine-throughout the year-and I'd bet an entire paycheck she won't skip Christmas for them. The girls know how she is and Bobbie and Jesi really don't care. Sydney would feel hurt if she found out, but wouldn't say anything. Conner though...how would I ever explain to him why his grandfather and his wife never buy him any gifts but they do for the other grandkids?

Like I said, I'm not going to tell my kids anything...but these things always have a way of coming out at some point.

How would it look if you wrote back and told her that you would go ahead and get your kids something small from them since it wasn't that much money just to get them a little trinket or matchbox car or something - you just don't want them to look bad in your kids eyes. Or is that too passively aggressive?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I've been over all that for years. I didn't even think about it, but they didn't do anything for Conner's or Jesi's birthdays this year either. Neither have said anything. Conner likely didn't notice and Jesi is so used to that it's not worth mentioning.

I haven't seen either of them since before Bobbie's graduation. The night before I was emailing back and forth with my dad's wife about where to go, what time...she gave every indication that they were coming. Then they didn't show up. I didn't call them and haven't since. They haven't reached out to me either.

They haven't even called Bobbie...not even after all that happened to her. That's what I'm most pissed about. Bobbie didn't mean it, but when she was telling me her story and said that when she thought she was going to die she thought about her grandpa and how she was sad she didn't get to see him. For the longest time, thinking about that made me cry. When I told my brother, it made him cry. I think that rift is so big now, I doubt it will ever be fixed.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 11-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Oh, wow, Chrissy. That really makes me sad to hear.

Just 'cause he's a Masshole, born and bred in the Merrimack River Valley.

If the name Marky Mark gives you the willies, you should hear it being said w/ DH's accent. He pahks the cah in Hah-vud Yahd.

I was gonna say that the correct way to say it would be Mahky Mahk.

It's funny how people think that's the MA accent but I hardly ever hear it. I'm too fah from Bahstin.

Kate, I probably use "LOL" too much, too, but if I didn't use that, I'd probably use the smiley emoticon thingies more. That is pretty funny how MA gets stereotyped with that accent; kinda like everyone here thinks all Southerners (American) sound like Forrest Gump.

We just got back from the German Christmas market; it was lovely being in the city with all the Christmas lights on. The market was way too crowded, but we enjoyed it and got to have a mulled wine (and some fried taters....I guess those are big in Germany?).

Sounds like fun Ash. Mom told me that they're doing the "lights on the river" thing on her birthday (12/2). I thought that would be a nice night to take her to dinner, give her her egg, then watch the fireworks after.