Page 838 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3387387888288368378388398408488889381338 ... LastLast
Results 25,111 to 25,140 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

There's no reason to trash it. Fixing it can be time consuming, but it's not rocket science. Tell him to boot it in safe mode, copy off the data you want to keep, and then do a clean install of everything.

If you want to be 'lazy' you can do a system restore (from safe mode) but there's a strong possibility the virus would come back at a future date.

And yes, that program offering to help clean things up is the virus.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

If we're talking about my clothes I can wear now, I don't have much. I have 2 pairs of shorts, tank tops, yoga pants, and several shirts. Also have sundresses, they are so comfy and they come in handy for all occasions. I still have all my pre-pregnancy clothes, that I hope to fit back into one day. How long can I use the "baby fat" excuse? I thought my body wasn't losing weight because I was still bfing, but now I am done with that, I think I may be eating too much food. And of course it's the holiday season, when I just want to bake pies, and other comfort foods.

L, sorry about your kids being sick, hope they are better now.

Bridget, love the kitten's name. Congrats on your grant!!

I hate to drive at night, I avoid it as much as I can. I had LASIK eye surgery 5 years ago. Ended up with major complications with it, long story, but now after 3 additional surgeries it's been corrected.

Over the weekend dh finally found our cable for our camera, now I am sorting through the 1000+ pictures on our camera card. oy.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    There's no reason to trash it. Fixing it can be time consuming, but it's not rocket science. Tell him to boot it in safe mode, copy off the data you want to keep, and then do a clean install of everything.

If you want to be 'lazy' you can do a system restore (from safe mode) but there's a strong possibility the virus would come back at a future date.

And yes, that program offering to help clean things up is the virus.

Seems like neither of us got around to making a recovery CD so without that how to do a clean install? So if you are in safe mode you can copy things to the external drive?

I don't think that we have ever really gotten anything like this before......

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Did you get installation disks with the computer? Sometimes they have a recovery partition right on the hard drive if they don't send disks. It should be a boot option.

And yes, you can connect an external drive and copy your data in safe mode.

Bridget that is awesome You SO deserve it!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Bridget, congrats on the grant and the new kitty!

On the clothes topic, my wardrobe has 3 categories-work stuff, casual home stuff and nice stuff for going out.

Suja, you mentioned Enid Blyton on a few posts back; I was at the school library today and was just browsing and notice loads of books by her; the Secret 7 and Magnificent 5, I think they were called that you'd mentioned. I was looking for science material since I'm currently observing 5th grade science lessons and science is probably my weakest subject.

I've just finished ironing and have been watching The Big Bang Theory and this show sure does make me laugh! (And my back is killing me for standing for over an hour in one spot!

Lost a few paragraphs I'd typed. Grrrr.....

Shelley, I use the "baby fat" excuse quite often. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Um, I clearly have a clothes hoarding problem. That's all I'm gonna say about that. And yes, Jen, I meant only clothes that currently fit. I'm not even counting the ones that don't fit me, which are now in several heaps in the sewing room, which I call the "project piles". And that doesn't even count the maternity clothes I've set aside in case of next pregnancy. And it also doesn't include the bin of clothes I've kept for sentimental value, like stuff bought on holiday or worn on special occasions.

Mandy, Bodhi's developed a verbal tic I've been meaning to tell you about. He inserts "hank" randomly in sentences, probably when he's pausing to find a word. I'm guessing it's common and no cause for worry (right?), but I thought you'd get a kick out of it. I do. I have no idea why he chose "hank".

Oh, gosh, and I lost the paragraph where I congratulated Bridget on getting her grant!!!

Whoopeeee!!! That's really, really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Did you get installation disks with the computer? Sometimes they have a recovery partition right on the hard drive if they don't send disks. It should be a boot option.

And yes, you can connect an external drive and copy your data in safe mode.
    Nope we didn't get them with this laptop...it's an HP from 2007 so whatever version of windows was at the time is what we have. I know we were supposed to stick in a blank disk and make a recovery CD but well just forgot and never did. Our previous desktops from 98 and 99 came with CDs....you can tell we don't buy computers very often!

That is good to know about the external drive. I was worried about copying the virus or whatever the h&ll this thing is into there.

This is so annoying....and shame on those evil people who create these things. I think that my poor DH was pratically crying about his lego house and worried about losing it (its a replica of our house, has over 1000 bricks in it and he's probably spent at least 60-80 hours creating it....when finished he's going to have lego send him the bricks to build it).

The positive of the day is I'm liking my new shoes quite a bit.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Nope we didn't get them with this laptop...it's an HP from 2007 so whatever version of windows was at the time is what we have. I know we were supposed to stick in a blank disk and make a recovery CD but well just forgot and never did. Our previous desktops from 98 and 99 came with CDs....you can tell we don't buy computers very often!

That is good to know about the external drive. I was worried about copying the virus or whatever the h&ll this thing is into there.

This is so annoying....and shame on those evil people who create these things. I think that my poor DH was pratically crying about his lego house and worried about losing it (its a replica of our house, has over 1000 bricks in it and he's probably spent at least 60-80 hours creating it....when finished he's going to have lego send him the bricks to build it).

The positive of the day is I'm liking my new shoes quite a bit.
    What program is he using to build it? I take it it's saved locally (on his computer)? He'll probably want to research the program and verify where the data is stored...sometimes those things are tucked away in application files. They're easy enough to find (he'll need to change the folder options to show all) but first he has to find out where it's stored. Unless, of course, he's had it saved to his document folder or desktop...then he won't have a problem finding and copying it to the external drive.

It's the program he downloaded from the lego website. I think that he already did find the files he needed because he emailed me something. I don't know, I was on the phone with him over an hour this morning multiple times when he thought everything was lost, than didn't, than was emailing me something....but eventually he had to get to bed and just figured he would deal with it later.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Congrats Bridget! What will you use the grant for?

And I seriously can't figure out how to end that sentence without a preposition. I've been out of school too long. Someone help me.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

My day = comedy of errors:

It all started last Friday when I accidentally brought one of my running shoes and one of DH's to work instead of 2 of my own.

1) 9am: Leaving for work, determined to get it right this time, can only find one running shoe in the shoe bench. Cursing like a sailor how a whole shoe can go missing. Secretly blaming one of the dogs or DH for possibly eating the missing shoe

2) 9:45 am: Unpacking my backpack at desk, realize the missing shoe was in there all along, but then I left the other one at home because, duh, what kind of idiot traipses around town with just one shoe, right?

3) 3:45 pm: It's clear no one's going to give me anything more to do today, so decide to leave early for yoga class. Should I stop and go to the toilet first like my bladder advises? Nah, I might miss my train. Should I bring my backpack with one shoe in it home with me? Nah, I'll just bring other shoe tomorrow.

4) 3:55 pm: whizzing down dark tunnels on train.

5) 3:57 pm: That's funny. Why doesn't this train feel like it's moving anymore?

6) 4:10 pm: All passengers unceremoniously dumped on platform due to police activity in station up ahead. Projected 15 minute delays. Must ditch plans to make it to yoga. Am suddenly reminded how much I need to pee.

7) 4:34 pm: Exited station on side of turnstiles without bathrooms. Decide I can hold it until I drive somewhere. Anywhere. Finally get to my car. Uh oh, where are my car keys? They're still attached to the backpack at the office.

Am now shivering outside waiting for DH to bring me my keys and mock me roundly. Aaaand I still have to pee.
    Last edited by demigraf; 11-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Sorry Myles. I'm the queen of needing to be rescued after losing/locking away my keys.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 11-07-2011 at 07:20 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Oh no Myles! I hope you get relief-and home-soon!

Aw, Myles.

Don't have a lot of time because cheap me equals DH watches Monday night football on the PC so will be vacating soon but wanted to say Congrats Bridget on your grant!!! You so deserve it!!!

And to Ash:

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Bridget, congrats on the grant and the new kitty!

On the clothes topic, my wardrobe has 3 categories-work stuff, casual home stuff and nice stuff for going out.

Suja, you mentioned Enid Blyton on a few posts back; I was at the school library today and was just browsing and notice loads of books by her; the Secret 7 and Magnificent 5, I think they were called that you'd mentioned. I was looking for science material since I'm currently observing 5th grade science lessons and science is probably my weakest subject.

I've just finished ironing and have been watching The Big Bang Theory and this show sure does make me laugh! (And my back is killing me for standing for over an hour in one spot!
    Saw this in a quick glance wanted to say LOVE this show!!! Sheldon is just hilarious and I love that my 2 favorite characters from Roseanne are on it and Blossom because I was huge fans as a teenager of theirs.

And Ash, look at you with your English self doing all that ironing. I am still thinking about finding an elderly English lady to come iron my curtains for me !

Erin

So, DD's nanny picked up her toothpaste, and the kid goes, 'No, no Mirtha. It's wet. Doggie poop. Mirtha no eat, only Paru eat'.

Maybe I won't kill her when she wakes up screaming, flopping around like a fish, kicking, asking me to show her the moon, go see Daddy, go see the dogs, and carry her for hours together while she snoozes in my arms and I can barely stand up straight 'cause my back is killing me.
    Last edited by Suja; 11-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Yikes Myles! I hope you are home by now!

Chrissy, we ended up bringing the laptop into the shop....first time something like this has just been beyond our abilities to fix and it is cheaper than I thought it would be.

So uh someone at work is now looking for homes for an unexpected bunch of puppies....mom is a beagle and dad is a poodle. I love my poodles and poodle mixes....Cosmo is part poodle and that is why I think she is awesome. And DH has always had a soft spot for beagles......and it sounds like he is thinking about it. Lady is asking for a small donation to cover shots and worming expenses. DH likes that much better than the 800-900 that the cockapoos tend to go for.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh and I'm thrilled...not....that we have the first winter storm watch of the season. I have heard anywhere from 2-6 inches when this morning it was just a dusting on the grass. Boo to them for changing it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bummer about the weather Jennifer. It's unseasonably warm here right now...60's all week!

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

And I seriously can't figure out how to end that sentence without a preposition. I've been out of school too long. Someone help me.
    How will you use the grant? Or For what will you use the grant, if you want to be really passive LOL

Congrats Bridget!

I didn't take anything very advanced in that first year and a half of college, just the basic math, English, Spanish, and some psychology. And statistics, which I failed. I'd like to try it again since I have such a great base of smart friends now

Jennifer I bet those puppies are so freaking adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

I didn't take anything very advanced in that first year and a half of college, just the basic math, English, Spanish, and some psychology. And statistics, which I failed. I'd like to try it again since I have such a great base of smart friends now
    I think if you went back you would do great

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I found when I did math when I was older, stuff just made a lot more sense. I bet you'll do great.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

The way to change that to the proper no-ending-with-a-preposition is to just switch it around and say, "For what will you use the grant?" but that sounds awkward and stuffy and wrong. To get the same meaning, you could say, "How will you use the grant?" or "What will you buy with the grant?" or "Which projects do you hope to accomplish with the grant money?" Any proper English majors, feel free to interject.

Congratulations on such an awesome achievement, Bridget. You and your children (loined and loaned) totally deserve it. And woo-hoo on the kitten. Love the name. Our first cat (age 5 & 7) was named Yucca Fiber, because we were reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and the heroine made everything out of Yucca Fiber. Apparently it was on our minds.

Mylah, boo on such a crappy day. FYI, without fail, even if I don't have to pee, even if I'm in a hurry, I force myself to stop and try to pee before I leave work, because I never know when I'm going to be stuck in traffic for two hours. It's not quite as much of fear now that I have the portable potty right behind the driver's seat, but still. I know you don't drink, but I hope you are doing some sort of serious stress-relieving activity right now.

Suja, 5-6 word sentences? No wonder she's waking up so much! There isn't much time for down time.

I am still astonished about the ironing, Ash. I can't bring myself to do it.

Jen, I don't envy your snow. It's been cold and rainy here this week and I'm just miserable. I'm so glad I don't live in the North anymore. I'm wearing fleece and heating up my rice sack and still shivering.

Here is an excerpt from what my sister wrote to me about her party (I took out some names and a few details):

"It was a bit disappointing - not many of our old group came. I knew it was a long shot but had hoped that I would have had more to show for forty years. It was okay, hardly any dancing because there weren't many people interested in dancing besides [one of our friends], and he kept getting distracted by the bridge. But, it was better than cooking and cleaning all day and spending a ton of $ and waking up to a mess."

So are you taking a boodle (peagle? poogle?), jen? I agree, poodle mixes are pretty awesome (says mom of 55 lb schnoodle).

I like how poodle mixes don't shed. Right now my Akita/Aussie shepherd mix is shedding so much. I'm sure I could brush all the hair off him if I had all day.

Kate, you could totally do it.

Whoever mentioned transferring Eng 101 - colleges use that class as a "weed out" course so they don't like to transfer it. I tested out of it and then when I transferred they didn't want to believe me so I had to do a "portfolio review." fortunately they accepted my portfolio so I didn't have to take it in the end.

Clothes - counting the ones I actually wear, 2 dress pants, 2 dress capris, 2 skinny cords, and 2 jeans. Assorted t-shirts, tops, and button downs, just about enough to go 2 weeks between laundry so I'm guessing 10. Sweaters and warmer shirts, maybe 5-6 and two cardigans, 1 big trendy oversized cardigan, and a few jackets. I love jackets even though it's not that cold here. Random t-shirts and pj pants. A few dresses and skirts I never wear. Then there are the clothes that are slightly too big, too small, too frumpy, or too trendy a few years ago and I keep meaning to donate. Oh, and that's not counting the pile of stuff I sorted through planning to donate, washed, and put in the corner and Gwennie has now made a nest out of. I have feeling they'll never leave. She's claimed her territory.

About Bodhi, odd but harmless and cute. I'm sure it will pass soon enough. And autocorrect changed Bodhi to Bodhissatva. LOL.

The linguist in me says go ahead and end that sentence with a preposition. You wrote it the way people speak which is reflective of a living language. I really am a fan of descriptive rather than prescriptive linguistics. Although I can't quite help criticizing other people's spelling errors in my heard. Hard habit to break!

Bridget, congrats on the grant!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Continuing from the preposition discussion, this is a quote from my language disorders text and I it:

As language users, we sometimes get into difficulty when we must follow prescribed language rules. This usually occurs in writing. Spoken language is much more informal than writing and less constrained. In the nineteenth century, formal grammar guides were written, often prescribing rules used by the upper classes. As a result, today we are saddled with the distinction in formal writing between who and whom, the incorrectness of using since to mean because, the inadmissibility of the split infinitive, and the not ending a sentence with a preposition rule. Regarding the latter, Winston Churchill quipped, "That is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put."
    I was just reading that the other day when looking for something in that book and you totally reminded me. Love that quote from Churchill. I believe some of those rules came from forcing grammatical rules from Latin onto English, but I can't recall the specifics. Another book somewhere, I'm sure.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I love that quote from Churchill, it made me chuckle! I have horrible grammar! I try, but its just not my forte I suppose

My language skills aren't bad, but in informal writings, I don't generally concern myself with much more than expressing my thoughts clearly.