Page 831 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3317317818218298308318328338418819311331 ... LastLast
Results 24,901 to 24,930 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I bought myself a Kindle Fire. It won't be shipped till mid-November.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Erin, reusing the Halloween candy is a brilliant idea!

Bridget, I hope Sawyer feels better soon. Josh went through teething amazingly well (I wouldn't have even known he got a new tooth if I hadn't kept checking) but I think I have heard about babies getting sick while they're teething.

I don't have a huge family, but most of them aren't local and I don't know most of them very well so I have to worry about what to get them and then worry about getting it to them in time. I always feel rushed and I feel like I didn't get them anything personal enough. I send e mails out asking what people would like and they never give me ideas!

Rant over...sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I do like to shop but I don't like spending money.
    hehe me too Now if I could shop with someone elses money, that would be HEAVEN

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Abbey's birthday is January, so I'm trying hard not to go overboard for Christmas. I know she's getting a dollhouse (actually a fairy house) and a mini trampoline. I'm also making her a nap mat and a matching one for her bear.

She'll probably get books and some rocks to add to her collection as well, as stocking stuffers.

But for her birthday Matt's going to make a couple waldorf playstands. I'm going to try to make the silks that go on top.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

seriously. stop. with the double posts.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Abbey's birthday is January, so I'm trying hard not to go overboard for Christmas. I know she's getting a dollhouse (actually a fairy house) and a mini trampoline. I'm also making her a nap mat and a matching one for her bear.
    Oh My! That fairy house is adorable!!!

The double posts are driving me crazy too. Sometimes they turn into triple posts

Gwen that is a weird comment. I fully believe that we both will be moms and will be great ones. Just a matter of time.

I also didn't picture Bridget as being on the shorter side.

Christina, when people start talking all religious like, I just respond with something like Oh my family isn't really all that religious. At this point I do feel like I have one (though I rarely get my butt out of bed for church) and say that I'm a unitarian universalist (which you can be christian but you can be an atheist there or whatever you want). But really most people I work with seem to not really talk much about religion at all.

Umm, how can you not believe in cholesterol? FWIW, there does seem to be two different issues there. You can have people who can control it through diet and exercise....but you also have people where high is truly genetic. I personally know some who are thin, exercise a ton, eat right and still need to be on statins.

On xmas.....I LOVE it. I love the traditions and decorations. I like making the frosted cutout cookies I have always made with my mom, having the stocking hung that my mom made, having ornaments on my tree that my parents started getting for me when I was a baby/child. I love the songs, I even love my nativity scene (I don't believe but like the story and well the little baby and animals are cute). I have a small family anyway but we don't buy much anymore. And I think that this year it will probably just be DH and I at home. I will get some candy probably and some lottery tickets for our stockings. I will get a toy for Cosmo and some Legos for DH. But the majority of "presents" are empty boxes that I wrapped last year because well it just looks nice to have them under the tree. I even like sending out the cards. Now once we have a baby and my sister has a baby....I would buy for them. Probably a lot. I do think that my child is in danger of being spoiled because well I have waited a long time, DH is an only child so his mom's only grandkid and my parents probably won't have more than 2-3 grandkids and have been waiting a long time. Probably the only thing that will help is DH holding me back.
    Dh and I do disagree on Santa. I want to do it, he's not so into it. His problem is wants the good gifts to come from him and for the kid to know he's giving the good ones.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Jennifer I didn't say Gma won't go crazy I keep telling her he's only going to be 10 months old, he's not going to care about anything but the wrapping paper! If it was up to me thats what he would be getting, the child doesn't need any toys or anything we have a living room full

I thought about wrapping up empty boxes for looks, but DH kind of looked at me like I was crazy I can't decide on Santa either, I'm not neccesarily opposed, but at the same I just don't see the point. Mom and DH want to do Santa though, so more than likely we will

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    hehe me too Now if I could shop with someone elses money, that would be HEAVEN
    I'd feel too guilty. I'm thrifty all year long...except at Christmas. I don't feel bad about spending that money though because I budget for it. I only spend what I have though...no credit cards or anything like that.

I do Santa.

My mom says if you don't believe in Santa he won't come. So my dad, sister and I still believe.
    DH is getting this for xmas http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Fire-Brigade-10197 and this one for his birthday in Jan. http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Grand-Emporium-10211 I might also get him this one http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Emerald-Night-10194
    And yup he is just like a kid with his toys.

I would like a puppy or a baby for xmas....but don't think that I will get either one! Otherwise I want to buy Cosmo 2 toys. I don't want anything else really but I basically buy what I want all year long once I'm really sure we have a need/use/strong desire for whatever it is.

I absolutely do not feel bad spending money. We work hard for it and saved and lived tight for years. And we only buy what we can afford.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridge, for Sawyer. Teething must be so uncomfortable for them. Let's hope the pain has peaked already.

On Xmas... it can be such a commercial holiday (as in I hate the commercials. Lol.). I try to put meaning into it by handmaking things for people, but usually by the time I get around to it, I'm late and rushing. To do it the way I'd want, I'd have to start now, but then I resent the non-negotiable deadline. I know. I know. I have the worst attitude about it. Bodhi has made it much better since I see the holiday thru his eyes now too. This year, we'll be in Vegas again; my aunt is so into lavish parties and inviting random people she meets on cruises that I have to make polite small talk with. The good part is that DH & I are planning to do an overnight backpacking trip into Zion if we feel comfortable enough to leave B w/ my folks this yr.

I'll see if I can dig up the duck story. I know Molly got the brunt of it when it happened.
    Last edited by demigraf; 11-03-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Jennifer I think your DH and mine would get along wonderfully

DH bought 2 gas powered remote control cars I think they are called RC Cars. Similar to this he 'claims' they are "for Nolan"

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    This year, we'll be in Vegas again; my aunt is so into lavish parties and inviting random people she meets on cruises that I have to make polite small talk with. The good part is that DH & I are planning to do an overnight backpacking trip into Zion if we feel comfortable enough to leave B w/ my folks this yr.

I'll see if I can dig up the duck story. I know Molly got the brunt of it when it happened.
    Sounds like fun and now I can't wait for the duck story!

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    DH bought 2 gas powered remote control cars I think they are called RC Cars. Similar to this he 'claims' they are "for Nolan"
    My dad and brother had them when my brother was a teen. Actually, they both still have their 'toys' but they don't race them around the front yard like they used to. It was funny because they actually had a dirt track going all around it, and my dad was always such a fuss-pot about the lawn! They've both talked about giving their RC cards to Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I feel very lucky that christmas is not stressful for me at all. We don't go crazy with gifts. I really only buy for my kids and my younger brother. I make my dad home baked goodies. Dbf and I don't buy each other gifts. I buy for my little bro because he buys for my kids so I like to get him something. I don't do malls or department stores at all so I don't have to deal with insane holiday shoppers and stressed out employees.

Sawyer is sick And his top two teeth are going to bust through any day. I wonder does teething weaken the immune system? From the stress maybe? Oh, and yesterday he was so fussy. And biting me and banging his head against my shoulder. He wasn't like this at all when his bottom teeth came through. All of a sudden I realized his amber teething necklace wasn't on him!! I can't find it anywhere and wonder if I took it off at some point?? Anyway, I guess this means maybe it really does work!
    Poor Sawyer. How does an amber teething necklace work? Do they bite it?

I love Christmas. Food, wine and presents. Oh, and the Queen's speech. I couldn't not love that!

Mandy, that does sound a little mean of that lady to have said that to you; I would've looked at her like WTFBBQ?

Sorry Sawyer is not well. I hope the little'n feels better soon!

I did my substitute teaching today; it went really well! Some of the things the kids say to each other and to me would make one of those funny little one-liner books! LOL

Forgot to say I hope Sawyer feels better. I always wonder about teething too. Ky was never bothered by it but Elle would get fevers of 101 and up every time some teeth would pop through. It was pretty strange, especially since my aunt who is a nurse keeps insisting to me that teething cannot cause fevers, only illness can cause fevers. But I swear as soon as those buggers popped through, Elle was fine.

Regarding Santa, I never bring him up, but kids seem to pick it up from other kids and just the Christmas programming and atmosphere. We never told Ky about Santa and DH especially has very blatantly told Ky that Santa is not real since he was 2 or 3 but Ky still was excited about Santa and I think he really wants to believe he's real because it is so magical and fantastical the thought of a real Santa. I don't go out of my way to be like "Quit talking about Santa, He's not real dog-gone-it!!!" I think it is cute so I don't say anything either way. Ky is at the age now where he knows Santa is not real but he will still talk about him and I can see his mind thinking imaginatively about it and I like that he is still childlike in this way. I told DH that and he has cut back on the "fat man doesn't bring presents" stuff as well.

Erin

When I was little, there was a older guy down the block and on xmas eve he would dress up and stop by the houses with the kids and visit and bring a little gift. How sweet that was one of him. (the parents knew he would be stopping by). That was when we had a nice neighborhood before it got icky when I was a teen (the older people died and we got a lot of renters or trashy people in there and a house a few down from me was a druggie house). But when I was a kid, we had young families or elderly and knew most of the people. It was great.

My dad looks like santa if you put a red suit on him....same with his brother....and he even has the perfect hohoho.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ash glad you had a good day subbing!

Jennifer that is just too sweet!

Molly the oil from the amber is supposed to be absorbed through the skin and provide pain relief for teething, arthritis. I got one for dbf too.
    We pretend Santa is real but Savana demanded the truth at a young age so they know it's pretend.

So we found a little fuzzy leopard printed children's purse (empty) on our stairs when we got home from trick or treating on Halloween. Nobody came back to claim it and Josh asked if he could have it. DH kind of shook his head, but what did he expect? Josh spends all day with someone who uses a purse.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I did my substitute teaching today; it went really well! Some of the things the kids say to each other and to me would make one of those funny little one-liner books! LOL
    I'm glad it went well!! Any thoughts about PT/FT?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    So we found a little fuzzy leopard printed children's purse (empty) on our stairs when we got home from trick or treating on Halloween. Nobody came back to claim it and Josh asked if he could have it. DH kind of shook his head, but what did he expect? Josh spends all day with someone who uses a purse.
    I'd have let Conner have it. Conner has played with dolls before. Your dh would probably raise his eyebrows at my son. It's ok. I think it's cute when Conner plays Daddy. My favorite was when he went through the phase where he wanted to grow up and be a mommy bird.

Oh yeah I bought a doll for Josh a long time ago because he asked for one. He wanted a boy doll but I couldn't find one, so I bought a girl and got newborn boy clothes for it. LOL

Josh played with it for a while and forgot about it but has been asking to sleep with it recently. I think it's sweet.

I like when I can get DH to carry my purse for a while for me in public. I always have a water bottle in there so the sucker is heavy! LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL! My husband wouldn't be caught dead with my purse!

Dbf will carry the girly diaper bag ever since his mom was here and she said, "you have a husband, use him" because I had Sawyer and the bag and she knew I'd been having neck pain.
    Now my dad will always carry the diaper bag, my purse, Savana's purse, whatever. He doesn't even think twice.

Myles! I forgot in my previous post to say that the farm where we have been getting our raw milk always has packets of info you can take along and there was one that said, "The Myth about Cholesterol" and it's just what your friend was talking about I bet. I read it and you know I can't even remember what it said! lol. That is terrible that I didn't retain anything from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Molly the oil from the amber is supposed to be absorbed through the skin and provide pain relief for teething, arthritis. I got one for dbf too.
    We pretend Santa is real but Savana demanded the truth at a young age so they know it's pretend.
    I'll have to remember that! I feel dumb, I have seen them but I think I always thought they were for biting, and then wondered "isn't that a choking hazard?"

-----

So today Abbey was doing something and I asked her if she was ready for her bath. She ignored me, so I said "Can you put on your listening ears?" She did what she always does, this little twisting motion near her ears and then looked at me expectantly. I asked again and she said "Yes" then she did the twisting motion again. I asked her "What are you doing?" and she said "Taking off my listening ears." lol. Because she wouldn't want to accidentally listen to me all the time.

That's interesting about the cholesterol. I'll have to read more in to it. The first time in life that I ever fainted was when I was getting a free cholesterol check at work and they squeezed my finger for a blood drop and I hit the floor....so...no cholesterol check for me!

My husband and my FIL both carry my and my MIL's purses for us in public. It's cute.

Ah, and to answer the question you asked, Chrissy about p/t or f/t. I definitely would prefer p/t but the job and the school are ideal for me so if they can only offer f/t, I might just have to take it b/c it would be too good to pass up!

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    So today Abbey was doing something and I asked her if she was ready for her bath. She ignored me, so I said "Can you put on your listening ears?" She did what she always does, this little twisting motion near her ears and then looked at me expectantly. I asked again and she said "Yes" then she did the twisting motion again. I asked her "What are you doing?" and she said "Taking off my listening ears." lol. Because she wouldn't want to accidentally listen to me all the time.
    That's so cute!

My husband and my FIL both carry my and my MIL's purses for us in public. It's cute.
    I think that right there should be a test for all men. When women are dating, they should nonchalantly ask the guy to carry her purse. If he refuses, that's the end of the relationship. lol j/k....sort of.

Ah, and to answer the question you asked, Chrissy about p/t or f/t. I definitely would prefer p/t but the job and the school are ideal for me so if they can only offer f/t, I might just have to take it b/c it would be too good to pass up!
    kup on things. I'm excited for you.