Page 823 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 323 723 773 813821822823824825 833 873 923 1323 ... LastLast
Results 24,661 to 24,690 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Seeing their costumes made me remember a recent conversation with my husband. He was asking about the origins of Halloween, so I was reading about it online. One of the biggest differences between halloween here compared to the US is that people only dress up as scary creatures. That's more in line with the celtic tradition to scare off the ghosts whereas Americans changed dressing up in the 1950's to take the gory stuff out of halloween and make it more about community spirit.

L, that's so cute. I see you got the costume issue resolved.

Ash ,do people trick or treat in England the way they do here? I know Halloween started with the Celts but I think of it as more of an American holiday.

I just watched the final episode of Mad Men on Netflix and I'm going to go through Don Draper withdrawal.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Awww....they're so cute!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

They are so adorable L!!!

I love your DDs makeup! You did a great job!

I would share pics of Ky's makeup but I fear it is too scary and little kids may look at it and be afraid. Ky loves to be scary for Halloween, ever since he was 5 he has chosen scary things to be. All except when he was 6 though he did want to be scary now that I think of it, but I told him he could not be what he actually wanted to be because other people may think it was disrespectful. He wanted to be a "dead soldier" but instead he was just a combat soldier dressed in fatigues. He still liked it but said it wasn't scary enough.

I took a great pic of him trying to eat my brains as a zombie though yesterday. I am actually going to start a Project 365 and took some pics this week. I think that will be my pic for yesterday's date.

Erin

People do trick or treat here but it's only just caught on as a holiday. You get a lot of old people complaining about it being a "silly American holiday." People seem to be getting more in to the spirit as every year goes by.

Erin, it sounds like Ky looks really cool. Will you put pictures on your facebook?

I tried to post here last night but I couldnt' get the pictures to link - I had that most fun last night painting a friend's face like a lichtenstein painting for her halloween costume. Wish I could get a picture to post. Will try again. Oh, I can send a link to my fb album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8eba8009f7

And I made two pumpkin pies out of a real pumpkin. I don't really like pumpkin pie but it's pretty good. I didn't add enough sugar because I always think people add too much, but this recipe was correct. Oh well.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Nice job Katy!
    Would you mind sharing the recipe here? I want to make a pie from our pumpkins but I never have before.

Katy, what an inventive costume idea! RL's son is one of DH's clients. Would you be comfortable with me sharing that with him (the son, not RL)? I think he'd get a kick out of it.

L, it was really great to see you & the whole family yesterday on such a nice day. I'm sorry the twins are feverish, though. I hope they're well enough to have fun tomorrow. B is snuffly and grumpy today, but there is also a bug going around his school, so it'd be way more likely he picked it up from there. I got one adorable picture of S, and some cute shots that aren't such great quality that I'll share when I next get the chance to upload them.

Chrissy, I finally got so fed up w/ my laptop running with who knows what type of spy/malware on it so I formatted it & reinstalled XP on it (yeah, I still use XP, wanna make something of it? ). Now I can't remember how to get it to detect the on-board wi-fi receiver. I don't even know what kind of wi-fi make/model it is to be able to download the drivers for it if I need to do that. Do you know a way out of this predicament?

Gwenn, I'm going to learn so much from you over the years! Yay to you for that story you wrote for Bridget. I hope that goes over well w/ Savana, B.
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-30-2011 at 02:33 PM.

I'm going to make a big pot of minestrone now. And maybe take a nap, making it 2 naps, 2 days in a row.

Sure Myles - or he can just google it. We just looked on youtube for some inspiration/ideas.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Nice job Katy!
    Would you mind sharing the recipe here? I want to make a pie from our pumpkins but I never have before.
    This is the one I used - it looks more involved and complicated than it really is. Just steam the pumpkin after scraping out the seeds then smash it up with a stick blender, add spices, milk, etc. pour in unbaked pied shell and cook it as per the instructions.

http://www.pickyourown.org/pdfs/pumpkinpie.pdf
    Last edited by girlwonder; 10-30-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: adding link

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Sure Myles - or he can just google it. We just looked on youtube for some inspiration/ideas.
    Oh, I need to read more carefully! RL's son? I hope he doesn't sue me for copyright infringement! That's fine, though you can show him.

Thanks Katy

Lydia, I love your facepainting.

I think I saw someone do it here (maybe not this thread but somewhere else), I bought glowsticks and put one in the tub with him tonight. He's usually reluctant to take a bath but he loved it. All I had to do was mention it was green like the wicked witch of the west (the kid has seen the movie ONCE and remembers more details than I do) and he was good to go. Highly recommended. If you put it in the freezer supposedly it will save the light and you can thaw it when you want to use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Chrissy, I finally got so fed up w/ my laptop running with who knows what type of spy/malware on it so I formatted it & reinstalled XP on it (yeah, I still use XP, wanna make something of it? ). Now I can't remember how to get it to detect the on-board wi-fi receiver. I don't even know what kind of wi-fi make/model it is to be able to download the drivers for it if I need to do that. Do you know a way out of this predicament?
    What's the make/model of your laptop? You should be able to get all the driver's from the manufacture's website. If it's a Dell, go to dell.com and click the technical support link in the upper right corner. HP and the like also have similar set-ups. You should be able to find your specific model (i.e. 3827z) on a sticker somewhere on the bottom of the laptop.

I tried to post here last night but I couldnt' get the pictures to link - I had that most fun last night painting a friend's face like a lichtenstein painting for her halloween costume. Wish I could get a picture to post. Will try again. Oh, I can send a link to my fb album:

Awesome!!

Chrissy, it's a Dell. Thanks! I'll try when I get home.

Chrissy, it's a Dell. Thanks! I'll try when I get home.
    Dells are really easy...flip it over and write down the service tag. When you get to the technical support page, choose the option for drivers/downloads, and then enter your service tag. It will list all the drivers that were options with your laptop. You may see more than one wireless driver, but one of them will work.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I regret to say my twins have been limp and low-grade feverish since we got home from the Halloween parade (sorry Mylah!). I have been painting their faces to cheer them up.

I had that most fun last night painting a friend's face like a lichtenstein painting for her halloween costume. Wish I could get a picture to post. Will try again. Oh, I can send a link to my fb album:

Love both of these!!! Now I want to paint Abbey's face. But she's asleep.

...I'll wait until she wakes up, because otherwise that would be weird.

--------

The rollover on this XKCD cartoon is funny and frightening, so I thought I'd share it. For those that can't get it to work it says "I hear in some places you need one form of ID to buy a gun and two forms to pay by check. Interesting who has what incentives to care about what mistakes." Guess where that's true? Collin County, TX, otherwise known as where I live. I told Myles that Living Social had a deal up for the DFW area for $69 for concealed weapon training. Now they have two deals for concealed weapon training, and one for collagen injections. :|

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_important_field.png

Also, we are carving pumpkins tomorrow and I'm doing this one:
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...QXDglEd2NChtQb

Happy Halloween, all!
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 10-30-2011 at 09:41 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Chrissy!!!

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

The rollover on this XKCD cartoon is funny and frightening, so I thought I'd share it. For those that can't get it to work it says "I hear in some places you need one form of ID to buy a gun and two forms to pay by check. Interesting who has what incentives to care about what mistakes." Guess where that's true? Collin County, TX, otherwise known as where I live. I told Myles that Living Social had a deal up for the DFW area for $69 for concealed weapon training. Now they have two deals for concealed weapon training, and one for collagen injections.

Happy Halloween, all!
    Hee! One of my favorite pics from the time I came to visit you is the one when we were at the children's museum, and it was raining, so I was outside w/ my camera and our chitluns were pressed up on the other side of the glass entrance door, etched with the words "Concealed Weapons Not Allowed". You'd think at a kiddie spot like that, it'd be a total given.

DH was so cute tonite carving pumpkins w/ Bodhi. I put B down to sleep tonite, and some of his last mutterings were "Dada! I want my dada!" It's so sweet how attached he's gotten to daddy, though the poor thing had to settle for his ma this evening.

Chrissy thanks again. It'll probably take some thumb drive action for me to to get the right drivers on the laptop because I haven't installed/configged the Ethernet port either. Daunted. :/

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Chrissy!!!
    Thank you. It was a really good day.

Chrissy thanks again. It'll probably take some thumb drive action for me to to get the right drivers on the laptop because I haven't installed/configged the Ethernet port either. Daunted. :/
    That'll work. You can grab your Ethernet driver there as well. You only have to pick the ones the say drivers...I skip the software stuff.

If you have the installation disks from when you bought it, one of them should have drivers on it, but they're going to be older and possibly outdated. Whenever possible I try to get them from the web site because they offer the newest ones.

Good morning and happy Monday! It started in all it's rotten glory for me. I overslept and had to use dry shampoo in my hair. I didn't wake up till 6:30 and that's when I'm supposed to be leaving to catch my bus! Thankfully I know how prone I am to oversleeping so I always have my backpack ready the night before. I didn't grab my laptop though....hope I don't need it today.

I am so behind since I didn't have much time to, I don't know, sit down this weekend Between writing my paper, taking tests, general cleaning, Nolan (whose got a cough and isn't feeling the hottest), I also managed to read 5 chapters, and mostly reorganize my entire living room. I am exhausted and somewhat glad it is Monday so I can do something mindless for a little while

Off to catch up on you ladies

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

OMG, I just found out that a friend of mine who had given up on having kids after two failed IVF cycles last year is now 10 weeks pregnant - what she's calling a "freebie pregnancy". I am SO thrilled for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    OMG, I just found out that a friend of mine who had given up on having kids after two failed IVF cycles last year is now 10 weeks pregnant - what she's calling a "freebie pregnancy". I am SO thrilled for her.
    That's really wonderful! Yay for her!

Congrats to her!

That's brilliant about your friend, Suja!

I have felt so tired lately. I always seem to get jet-lagged with the time change (it changed yesterday for us). Weird how gaining or losing just 1 hour can affect a person.

I am not looking forward to the time change! Not only because it will be dark later in the morning but it always seems to royally mess up Josh's schedule. He has just started sleeping until 7 (gasp!) some mornings and I'm afraid he'll lose that.

That is great for your frined Suja!!! What an amazing surprise!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I'm looking forward to the time change here (next weekend I think?). I'll get an extra hour of sleep. I desperately need it.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm looking forward to the time change here (next weekend I think?). I'll get an extra hour of sleep. I desperately need it.

Me too!! It was rough getting up this morning since I have a sore throat and I think I am coming down with a cold or something. I kept thinking about how I wish I had my extra hour of sleep. Daylight savings time and myself have a back and forth relationship with each other, most of the time it is just me being upset because my hour of sleep is stolen from me for 5-6 months out of th year. take that daylight savings time!!

Erin