Page 818 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3187187688088168178188198208288689181318 ... LastLast
Results 24,511 to 24,540 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Can I just say that I LOVE that we can have conversations like this?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I love talking to you guys. Period. Who'da thunk we'd have found each other even a few years ago?

I just feel like I've been talking about me, me, me. I feel like I'm all, "Well enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you... think about me?"

Sooo, what are you guys doing for Halloween?

I'll be home alone with the animals. Probably hiding in the back of the house. Although I did get invited to a backyard wine party on Sat - from "3:00 until the last soldier falls..."

I think it would be fun but don't drink much and I don't love being sober around drunks since DH and I had issues. I doubt I'll go. But I like the girl who invited me.

My sister and I just fantasized on fb chat about me moving to NY and our DHs and my brother opening a restaurant together. My sister said she could bake and I said I could teach the customers to read the menu...lol. Then I said I'd hire her to do my medical billing after I opened my own clinic. Such a great dream....she totally wants to. Even said she'd take a medical billing class.

She also posted a pic of my niece looking just like a (pretty) Yoko Ono. I so wish I could share it here but I won't. She's going to be Yoko for Halloween. The funny thing is, as my sister said, most Japanese people DON'T look like her. But my sister thinks her DH does. Wonder if they are related?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-25-2011 at 11:03 PM.

DP

I have a low tolerance for drunk people too. But the party might be fun.

I wish you could post a pic of your niece. That's a really original costume idea, actually. The only thing that'd make it cooler would be a John Lennon partner and a prop hotel room bed. LOL.

With all our talk about TV shows, I forgot to ask if anyone else here watches The Good Wife. I think it's smart and really well-done overall. Plus, I'm watching a DVR episode right now and just saw a commercial which informed me that Martin Scorcese made a movie adaptation of The Invention of Hugo Cabret called "Hugo" that's releasing pretty soon. A part of me wants to take B to see it on the big screen even without finishing the book, but we've really been enjoying reading it together and we're months away from being done with it. If only I'd started it a little earlier (like when he was still crawling). Not that B would be able to sit thru the whole movie anyway. The story alone is a little complex for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    My sister and I just fantasized on fb chat about me moving to NY and our DHs and my brother opening a restaurant together. My sister said she could bake and I said I could teach the customers to read the menu...lol. Then I said I'd hire her to do my medical billing after I opened my own clinic. Such a great dream....she totally wants to. Even said she'd take a medical billing class.
    DH & I were just fantasizing yesterday of flipping houses for a living. We're compulsive remodelers as it is, and to make a profit at it would be fun. Some of our happiest weekends - pre-Bodhi - were spent working on our separate home improvement projects broken up by trips together to the Home Depot. When we make trips there today for stuff like duct tape, it brings up good memories.

The truth is, I probably wouldn't be satisfied doing just one thing for a living. I need to have the freedom to be mediocre at about 40 unrelated things in a day. Anyway, here's to following your bliss.

We would be an awesome group ... DH is into cooking and going to this program, BIL is a sommelier and in charge of the kitchen at an upscale NYC restaurant (but not a cook/chef) and my brother is into organic foods and is a talented photographer. His gf is also into food and is a talented writer and photo editor/graphic designer/blogger. My sister is also a gifted writer and can bake. I really do think they could make a fabulous team and do something really cool. BIL and my brother have talked about doing a book together for years. Too bad I have no interest in the restaurant business myself. I do love to eat, though.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-26-2011 at 12:38 AM.

On Friday I'm going to an adults only Hallloween party a woman I know from church is hosting. At the time, I didn't plan for DH to go since he normally avoids parties but he seems kind of hurt that I assumed he wouldn't want to go, so who knows, maybe he'll go.

On Halloween I'll probably take Josh around the neighborhood. I never remember what time smaller kids usually start heading out--anyone know?

Mandy, your family could really do something awesome.

We are going to have a little party on Monday and all the daycare kids will wear costumes and we will play games. No trick or treats for us but we're taking a little trip to Wisconsin Dells for a few days. Unfortunately Savana went to bed crying last night because she says she "wanted nature not hotels". Dbf is just annoyed as hell that doesn't appreciate it but I have to say that this is what I love about my sweet girl. She would rather explore a mountain or climb a good tree than go to a waterpark. Last night I spent hours trying to find something affordable and warm but airline tickets for 4 just killed every idea. My dad is going to help but I'm not going to stick him with a $1000 bill.
    Anyway, I found tons of cool stuff we can do over there like a science museum, ceramic workshop, petting zoo. I hope everyone has fun. Dbf keeps saying, "There's a bar and grill that bellies up to the waterslides so you and I can hang out while the kids swim. How can he possibly think that's how it's going to go down? Our kids don't know how to swim! We have to be right by them every second! Plus...um, Sawyer. Yeesh. You'd think it was dbf's first day on the job over here.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Plus...um, Sawyer. Yeesh. You'd think it was dbf's first day on the job over here.
    That totally cracked me up! What WAS he thinking?!?!? Maybe he had a dream that the kids were all teenagers? Or maybe that HE could lounge all day and you would be running around doing everything? I find vacations kind of stressful with all the kids, since things aren't babyproofed and you don't have your normal sleeping arrangements and all the fun stuff is there but it's just 100% work too.

Is there some way you could take Savana out for some 1:1 time on a nature walk while the boys do some stuff?

I haven't decided what we're doing. There is a big Halloween parade on Saturday (and I think Mylah's going?), that my mom wants to do, but it's right at Baby S. naptime. Unfortunately, my mom mentioned it in front of the twins, so they want to do it. My dilemma is to leave dh at home with the baby and have them skip all the fun and go with my mom and the twins to the parade; or go with the whole family and have Baby S. skip or delay his nap; or try to do something else like Boo at the Zoo.

Myles DH and I have fantasized about flipping houses. He is an amazing handy-man and I absolutely love to decorate Dreaming is nice... Just like our eco-friendly home we want to build one day

We are going trick or treating with a couple ladies from work and their kids/grandkids. I think Nolan is going to be a monkey, if the costume my cousin gave us fits him- I have to remember to try that on him!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I love talking to you guys. Period. Who'da thunk we'd have found each other even a few years ago?

I just feel like I've been talking about me, me, me. I feel like I'm all, "Well enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you... think about me?"

Sooo, what are you guys doing for Halloween?
    Um, you can keep it up because I think you're fun and interesting. I cannot contribute to your talks about art & stuff though because I'm clueless. I did share your painting with Bobbie and she loves it too.

I do know artists though and I don't think any one of them ever feels 'done' with their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    My sister and I just fantasized on fb chat about me moving to NY and our DHs and my brother opening a restaurant together.
    Yeah baby! Come on over to the East Coast & freeze with me! Snow tomorrow they say!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    On Friday I'm going to an adults only Hallloween party a woman I know from church is hosting. At the time, I didn't plan for DH to go since he normally avoids parties but he seems kind of hurt that I assumed he wouldn't want to go, so who knows, maybe he'll go.
    That sounds exactly like Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    That totally cracked me up! What WAS he thinking?!?!? Maybe he had a dream that the kids were all teenagers? Or maybe that HE could lounge all day and you would be running around doing everything?
    Probably that.

Let's see, Friday I'm taking pizza and computer tools to my cousin's house and we're going to have a great time installing a second drive and setting his pc up to dual boot between Vista and 7. Vista is his idea. I voted to overwrite it altogether.

Saturday my brother is taking me out to celebrate me & Bridget's birthday. Rich will probably come along. I'm hoping my friend from elementary school will be able to meet up with us.

Sunday I'm making lasagna at my sister-in-law's house to pay her back for the yummy dinner she made us last week.

Trick-or-treating...Bobbie and Jesi have a Halloween party to attend and I'm taking Sydney and Conner to a Trunk or Treat party they're holding at the high school. They didn't ban trick or treating this year, but they're strongly encouraging the Trunk or Treat thing because of all the flood debris still on the walkways...plus many homes/apartments are still uninhabitable. If the Trunk or Treat thing is a dud, I'll take them around town anyway.

Conner wants to wear his fireman costume for the 3rd year in a row.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy, I would rather do just about anything than install Vista on a pc. But we did set up a couple dual boot computers when I needed linux and my old school wouldn't let me get rid of windows. Happy early Birthday!

Bridget, at you dbf, and that's sweet about Savana wanting nature over a waterpark. Someone told me (maybe on this thread?) that Kickapoo Valley is a beautiful nature preserve in Wisconsin. is that close?

Myles, I like the painting. I used to want to flip houses too, but one condo flip filled that void for me.

I don't know what we're doing either. DH has a work party with kids we have to go to, meh. I'm hoping to set up a weekend Halloween playdate with Abbey's bff baby friend.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Myles, I like your painting. I waited to reply on it since I saw it first on my cell phone, but wanted to see the full thing on my laptop. The colors are beautiful.

We're going to a rugby club Halloween party on Sunday afternoon and then on Monday, we're going to SIL's to have supper there and to let the boys hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters.

It's what they call half-term here; the kids here go to school for 6 weeks and then get 1 week off as a cycle (and just get 6 weeks off for summer break), so Travis hasn't had to go to school this week. On Monday, we went to town and just milled around. Yesterday, we went to a local farm and went to its pumpkin patch. Today, we went shopping at the local strip mall and I got a hat and scarf that should have been 40 for 10! Woot woot. We're off to a bonfire on Guy Fawkes night on the 5th November, so we'll need to be dressed in lots of layers to stay warm!

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Chrissy, I would rather do just about anything than install Vista on a pc. But we did set up a couple dual boot computers when I needed linux and my old school wouldn't let me get rid of windows. Happy early Birthday!
    Thanks. And no kidding...I don't know why he wants to hang on to it. It's an awful OS.

That totally cracked me up! What WAS he thinking?!?!? Maybe he had a dream that the kids were all teenagers? Or maybe that HE could lounge all day and you would be running around doing everything? I find vacations kind of stressful with all the kids, since things aren't babyproofed and you don't have your normal sleeping arrangements and all the fun stuff is there but it's just 100% work too.

That cracked me up too!! Your DBF is such a riot, the things you say he says.

I also find family vacations stressful. Usually I plan 2 vacation days after the vacation to recover from the family vacation. They tire me out, the "fun" and all. I really don't like family vacations and if I were my twenty something year old self I would probably feel bad about it but I don't. I like to vacation by myself or just DH and I and really in previous years I would rather have not taken him either since all he did was complain or get drunk and subsequently sick and grouchy for the whole time.

Myles I like your painting as well. I also thought about the "evil eye" though as I also see the eye. But the colors don't make me think of it as "evil" more of a "soulful eye" if that makes sense. Like it is the eye of humanity or something. I would so hang it in my living room, it matches my color scheme and would look great over the sofa!

I write stories, poem, and am working on a novel that I have been writing and re-writing for years so I know about never feeling done. A few of the items I have even won awards for (a few stories, one in particular made me 5K in a scholarship and a few poems that were published in some local literary mags) I never felt were finished either but just got sick of working on them so sent them off. I hope to finish this novel for the last time by my birthday in April so that I can get it off of my mind. Hopefully I can do so.

Happy before Birthdays to both Chrissy and Bridget! Hope you both have enjoyable birthdays!

For Halloween we are going trick or treating as usual. Ky wants to be a zombie so I am going to attempt to make him a scary looking one that looks like his jaw skin is missing and you can see the teeth in his mouth. I'm hoping I can pull it off. Elle will be "Spiderman Girl Princess" same as she was for her birthday. She is looking forward to TOTing. I told DH he has to come (and not complain or be an a$$ during TOTing) since this is Elle's first time and she may get tired. He can sit in the car with her while I take Ky and a few other of our little cousins. We are also going to "Boo at the Zoo" this weekend.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-26-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Kate, trick or treat hours vary on where you live. Where I grew up we always did weekends during daylight hours. Where I live now, it's actually on the 31st from 5-7:30 so will be mostly dark.

Bridget, have you have taken the kids to Cave of the Mounds? http://caveofthemounds.com/ That might give Savana the nature she is looking for and is a pretty cool visit and cave temps are pretty consistent.
    Or maybe the Duck tours are still going on this late....though that might be a bit too cold to be out on the water.

We aren't doing much for Halloween. We put out a pumpkin. And we will hand out candy as there are a lot of little kids in our subdivision. But we aren't really that into it as a holiday.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Boy, what a bunch of talented folks we have here! My only talent was studying. Can't draw a straight line with a ruler, and you don't want to know what happens when I attempt to sew. Also, I dance like Elaine on Seinfeld.

I'm such a terrible mom. I looked at a bunch of costumes a few months ago, didn't like any, threw my hands up in the air and went 'Yeah, whatever'. It's hard to find a reasonably priced costume when your kid won't keep anything on her face/head. The daycare has a halloween party - I'll just buy some cookies from Wegman's.

Kate, here they usually have a parade at 5 and then trick or treating officially starts at 6. I'm not sure what the end time is...when the kids get tired? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Also, I dance like Elaine on Seinfeld.
    Hey, I do, too! Except, now that I go to zumba, I have a little more rhythm. LOL.

I love Seinfeld! I probably dance like Elaine too, but I just don't know it. I to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Hey, I do, too! Except, now that I go to zumba, I have a little more rhythm. LOL.
    I just found out that our rec center has Zumba classes. I'm planning to sign up. I have a friend who has 3 left feet, and if she can do it, I'm sure I can as well.

I'm just concerned that my feet can't handle it. I have *terrible* feet and need orthotics. Who knew that your feet can have extra bones?

One of my friends had surgery recently to remove some extra bone out of her foot! (FYI, she goes to zumba now, too....lol)

Ouch!

So my sister was just telling me about this penguin encounter http://www.sheddaquarium.org/premium_experiences.html OMG, how cool is that. My DH LOVES penguins. I already have a kids book about them, and several penguin knick knacks at home. Oh and a couple of stuffed ones too.

I am hoping that they still do this in the spring and we can either go by my parents and take the train to Chicago or go down to his mom and take the train up to Chicago (she's in one of the southern burbs). We just don't have enough PTO for a trip down right now (we were down like 4 times over the summer) and pretty soon it will start snowing and I don't like to plan things that I might have to cancel due to snow.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja don't feel bad, I am completely talentless! The closer thing I have to talent is that I'm a pretty decent scrapbooker

OW! About removing a bone out of the foot, painful!

Boo! I can't see the link Jennifer. I'll have to check it out when I get home, I penguins!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Jennifer- that would be so cool! Maybe next time we go to Chicago!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I don't have a talent either.

Jennifer I am taking Savana to Cave of the Mounds for sure. I actually looked to see if the had any family friendly accomodations over that way but nothing but hotels and a romantic bed n breakfast. So we'll make that a day trip.

OMG - this kicks a**!!! I want one, but I can't really think of a drawing that J has made yet that it would work with. I love it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/burnred/ther...tuffed-to-281t

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I haven't decided what we're doing. There is a big Halloween parade on Saturday (and I think Mylah's going?), that my mom wants to do, but it's right at Baby S. naptime. Unfortunately, my mom mentioned it in front of the twins, so they want to do it.
    We'll definitely be there at the Piedmont parade, L.

I do love the zoo, though, and have just a few more days to use our passes before they expire. Hmmmm... tempting. M'be in the afternoon...

To make things more confusing for you in deciding what to do, Fairyland is doing something fun for the kiddos too at the same time.

http://www.fairyland.org/whats_happe...k_olantern.htm

But I'm hoping you come for the parade. I am tempted to take the train in on Sunday too with Bodhi to Fruitvale (home of the infamous furniture warehouse where I used to live) for this:

Dia De Los Muertos, Sunday October 30th, 10am-5pm. Held between 33rd Ave. and 37th Ave. on East 12th St., as well as in the Fruitvale Village. http://www.unitycouncil.org/ddlm/index.htm

... but I haven't looked into similar activities in the Mission District in SF, which would be much closer to home.