Page 811 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 311 711 761 801809810811812813 821 861 911 1311 ... LastLast
Results 24,301 to 24,330 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ugh plaintains

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    What kind of heater is it? Could it have been your carbon monoxide detector going off?
    It's a gas furnace, but it wasn't the carbon monoxide detector (there's only one and it wasn't the first to go off). DH used canned air and blew out all the smoke detectors tonight, after we hypothesized that builder's dust (since the house was built just a year ago) could have been blown into the detectors when the heater was turned on.

He turned on the heat to 78 to "test" his work and now I'm sweating. Anyway, it seems to have worked.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 10-20-2011 at 08:30 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Ugh plaintains
    I'm afraid I'll have to unfriend you, my heathen friend. Fried plantains = manna from heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I'm afraid I'll have to unfriend you, my heathen friend. Fried plantains = manna from heaven.
    I feel the same, we can no longer be heathen friends *sigh* It's such a shame

I think I'm in heathen purgatory. Didn't love fried plantains, didn't hate them. Where does that leave me?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I think I'm in heathen purgatory. Didn't love fried plantains, didn't hate them. Where does that leave me?
    Heathen limbo

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    In Limbo. Didn't you ever read Dante's Inferno?

Actually I did! Limbo would have been a better choice.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Another 4.2 quake!!!!!

Stay safe out there!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

LOL Umm the end of the bread is the heel here. And the end of the pickle is the stem...

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

SUJA! I got all the ingredients to make your butter chicken, either tomorrow night or the next night. DH is so excited. He has volunteered to stop and get any exotic Indian spices I might be lacking. I told him I had everything. He said "Are you sure? Those dishes require a lot of spices, and I bet you don't have everything." I told him I got saffron (ouch!) and fennel seeds at the store today, and I already had everything else. He raised an eyebrow in doubt, but I guess he has hasn't browsed my spice cupboard lately since I had to install the lights in there so I could see everything I had.

My checker rang up the saffron (which I always skipped before because I figured I could do without it) and double-checked it when it came out to nearly $20 and started interrogating me about what on earth could cost so much in a little tiny container. Apparently she's never done cocaine or bought certain perfumes. Good for her. She got quite voluble about it.

Darn it, that last earthquake dropped to 3.9 upon review again. What on earth is going on?!? I guess, literally?

Ummm, oh Bridget! Savana made me really happy with her birthday wish. Almost the opposite of what my kids told me today on their way home from school. DD told me that DS promised to go to a toy store and buy her a princess doll. I said, "Oh, that was very sweet of you, but how are you going to do that? What money are you going to use?" He said he was going to use Daddy's money.

We actually recently had a talk about real princesses, since DD has been princess crazy. There was a picture of some real princesses in their Fashion can be Fatal book, in the corset section. They said "Princesses are real?" in total shock. They thought they were like fairies and angels and unicorns and Santa Claus. So I told them about how different countries have different ways of choosing rulers, and how we vote for a ruler here (they already knew that) but in other countries, mostly in the past, rulers were chosen by being born into a noble family. Princesses were the daughters of kings and queens, and average people thought princesses were really cool because they always had good food to eat and lots of fancy dresses and they got to marry princes and maybe someday rule countries. I talked about how they were still just ordinary people with some advantages and some disadvantages, but the myth created around princesses made all of them seem beautiful and rich and good, when that wasn't always the case with real princesses. And that the lives they led were not always enviable.

I promise, I don't spend all my time lecturing to them. I just thought it was an interesting thing, that they didn't know princesses were real. DD still loves princesses, obviously.

The cool thing that happened today when I picked them up from school was that their teacher told me they were the happiest kids there. She didn't come right out and say that, but she kept telling me how happy they were, and how enthusiastic, and how when she looks at the pictures of all the kids on the wall, she looks at my kids and says to herself how happy they are. You know, if you can have one wish for your children, wouldn't that be it? When I was little and would make a wish, that was always mine: "I want to be happy." I figured that covered everything else.

Holy cow with the earthquakes! Never been in one but it sounds scary!

Never had a plantain but I think that it would be something I would try.

And Molly, you are in TX...you guys needed heat? I'm up in NW Wisconsin and haven't turned mine on at home yet though I did break down and turn on the living room fireplace for a few hours each night after work. Brings it up from 65 to closer to 70 inside. My parents had a lot of trouble with the smoke detectors at their house when it was new. I think that they eventually put in a different brand. My house was built last summer too but haven't had that problem. Have had others though...like my kitchen counter and even cabinets pull way from the wall in cold...kitchen is outer walls. it moved back in the summer but started to pull again. Have had a few other things too as the house settles but nothing too major. The kitchen annoys me but it won't be noticeable once we eventually do a back splash.

Uggg, I'm kind of nervous. Tomorrow morning Cosmo is going to the vet to get a lump looked at on her chest but more like closer to her armpit. Its maybe marble sized and will move around a bit and doesn't seem to bother her at all. I know fatty cysts are especially common in overweight middle aged females and cockers and poodles (her mixes) are prone to them. She's 8 yrs old and was overweight (we don't know current but she has lost since we changed up her food....poor thing went from 22 lbs to 28 in like 1-2 years because of seizure meds, she should be more like 24 lbs).
    So I'm just really hoping that it's nothing but and my baby girl just has a fatty cyst.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Aww...that's so amazing. I think it's especially touching if you felt unhappy as a child.

And although I would never actually want a monarch, I do think kings and queens and especially princesses are pretty cool to read about. Maybe when she's a little older she'll be interested in reading about some interesting but sad people like the last Romanovs. Actually maybe she'd like the movie The Young Victoria? As mature as the subjects you share with her are, she might almost enjoy it now. And V in that movie is a pretty good role model - a young girl refusing to be a helpless pawn and learning to make her own decisions. It's a great movie.

Crazy about the earthquakes!

The only evidence I had that there was another earthquake as I was coming out of the shower was a thud and seeing my bra strap swinging from where I'd hung my bra on the doorknob. So funny about the second Richter downgrade, L. You, yourself may need to be recalibrated.

Bodhi is starting to show a true preference at times for DH. I'm partly relieved because he was so intensely fixated on me for so long, it was hard at times to be the end all be all for one demanding little person. But tonight I felt this pang when I saw B clinging to DH's leg as he was walking away. "He only used to do that for me" I thought.

That princess story reminded me of something Homer Simpson once said: "Silly Lisa! Don't you know vampires are make-believe? Just like elves and gremlins and Eskimos!"

I missed a lot of conversation by going to sleep. Silly sleep, who needs it, eh? Speaking of sleep, both boys have been sleeping so much later. I hope we're on a good sleep phase for a while!

I've experienced 2 small earthquakes. One in Arkansas that woke me up because I thought someone was shaking me and the other here in England, again I was woken from sleep but thought that a big train had gone by (we used to live near the tracks).

Jennifer, I hope Cosmo turns out to be ok.

L, that is brilliant about the twins being so happy. I remember wishing that a lot when I was little, too. It makes me conscious of my own children's happiness a lot and to try really hard to give them the nicest childhood that I can give them, one that I did not have.

Jennifer I hope Cosmo is okay!
    Lydia I think that is just about the best thing to hear someone say about your children. Who could ask for more than that!
    And totally strange that Savana told me right before she went to sleep last night that she gets sick of princess stories since they aren't real and she likes to read about real stuff sometimes. Of course I told her they were real just not in the way people write about them which also lead to a conversation about voting. She asked me if I voted for Barack Obama and when I said yes she said, "Good job, Mom. You voted for the winner."

We are reading a Milly Molly Mandy book right now that was recommended by a waldorf group and it is a really great little book.

It's 4am, btw and I can't sleep.
    Last edited by Bridget; 10-21-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    My checker rang up the saffron (which I always skipped before because I figured I could do without it) and double-checked it when it came out to nearly $20 and started interrogating me about what on earth could cost so much in a little tiny container. Apparently she's never done cocaine or bought certain perfumes. Good for her. She got quite voluble about it.
    I had that happen when i bought a bottle of California Baby sunscreen. The checker was really loud about how expensive it was, and I felt kind of publicly shamed for spending too much on sunscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    HAnd Molly, you are in TX...you guys needed heat? I'm up in NW Wisconsin and haven't turned mine on at home yet though I did break down and turn on the living room fireplace for a few hours each night after work.
    We had a weird little cold snap where is got down to 50, and I'm totally unacclimated to cold after 60 ays of 100+ temps. I know, I'm pretty upset about it too.

I hope Cosmo is OK. Is there anything people can do to help prevent the cysts?

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    That princess story reminded me of something Homer Simpson once said: "Silly Lisa! Don't you know vampires are make-believe? Just like elves and gremlins and Eskimos!"
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 10-21-2011 at 04:20 AM.

L that is seriously the sweetest thing And TBH that is all I want for N. I want him to look upon his childhood with fond memories and remember how happy he was-something I've always wished I could do myself... OK so now I'm all teary and emotional

Jennifer I hope that Cosmo is OK! It's so scary when one of the babies get sick Hopefully its nothing and she is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    It's a gas furnace, but it wasn't the carbon monoxide detector (there's only one and it wasn't the first to go off). DH used canned air and blew out all the smoke detectors tonight, after we hypothesized that builder's dust (since the house was built just a year ago) could have been blown into the detectors when the heater was turned on.

He turned on the heat to 78 to "test" his work and now I'm sweating. Anyway, it seems to have worked.
    You're probably right. And I totally get how being in intense heat will make a chill intolerable. In the fall, 60 feels 'bitter' to me (or almost-it's certainly not comfortable) but then in spring when it's 60 I put the top down on my car!

Another 4.2 quake!!!!!
    Eek L!! I know it's not uncommon to have aftershocks but still...I've only felt the one that hit the East coast a few months ago. It was so slight here where we are that my boss, in the same room, didn't feel anything and thought I was losing my mind. It freaked me out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    LOL Umm the end of the bread is the heel here. And the end of the pickle is the stem...
    You always have to be different lol

I hope Cosmo's appointment goes well today Jennifer. Please let us know. Maybe it's just a swollen lymph node from a minor infection?

The cool thing that happened today when I picked them up from school was that their teacher told me they were the happiest kids there. She didn't come right out and say that, but she kept telling me how happy they were, and how enthusiastic, and how when she looks at the pictures of all the kids on the wall, she looks at my kids and says to herself how happy they are. You know, if you can have one wish for your children, wouldn't that be it? When I was little and would make a wish, that was always mine: "I want to be happy." I figured that covered everything else.
    There's nothing better.

Good morning everyone. I barely slept at all last night. I'm fighting the cranks now. I just wanna be mean to somebody.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Lol, Chrissy. Go be mean to someone and get it out of your system! Sorry you didn't sleep well. The one thing I miss about my pre-children days is the ability to just nap whenever I wanted.

We're going out tonight with the work gang. Dh still works for the company that I used to work for. It will be nice to see some people I haven't seen in awhile. In just 3 hours I'll be in a pub in Leeds having a white wine spritzer. That is a nice thought. Lol.

Good Morning! I didn't go to sleep til after midnight (doing homework ) Than Nolan wakes up at 3 to eat and than decides when daddy gets up at 5a.m. that he thinks its time to play Got my coffee and I'm on my way to feeling more awake!

Have fun Ash!!

I have a dinner 'date' with an old friend tonight that I'm looking forward to. She's my nearest and dearest friend, but works 2 jobs and I rarely get to see her. After we moved away, I only saw her 2-3 times. Now that we live close again, we're both hoping to have more contact. Another friend texted me this morning inviting me 'out' with her and her bf. I told her I may stop in for a drink or two after dinner. I need escape!!

Ash/Chrissy I'm so jealous!!! I hope both you ladies have a great time! Everyone needs to get out every once in a while

This is kinda new for me Christina. I spent my entire 20's never setting foot inside a bar unless it was to pick up a drunk friend or a family member's bday party. Maybe a half dozen times in a 10 year period.

Most people experience their wild days in their 20's. I think I'm doing it in my 30's.

Sigh. Today is the 2 yr anniversary of my 27 year old cousin killing himself. My heart just aches for my aunt. I cannot imagine losing a child that way.

Me either Bridget. That will always stick with everyone.

Yeah I don't do bars at.all! They stink My friends think I'm lame, but thats OK

I hope you have fun/wild night! Get drunk and sing some karaoke for me! I love Karaoke!!!

Bridget how heart breaking, I am so sorry for you and your family

tonight won't be wild & crazy for me I'm afraid. I may dance a little, but not karaoke!

Awww come on I'm 22, somebody has to party for me! My wild night out is BINGO with my mom and aunt! Work with me here