Page 800 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3007007507907987998008018028108509001300 ... LastLast
Results 23,971 to 24,000 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss, Katythin!

...and yes, congratulations!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Thanks - Just another 20 to go...

Kate - I always do breakfast and usually lunch but sometimes dinner. Depends on my schedule. I have found that if I don't start to eat too early, I usually just don't get hungry, but if I have a real breakfast I have to eat food for the rest of the day. I think when I have lost my weight that I will still do the shake for breakfast because I don't really like to eat first thing (except if it is bacon)

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I can't eat breakfast. I never could. I tried to because people convinced me it wasn't healthy to do otherwise, but like you I found it just made me eat more throughout the day. I don't feel hungry, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...so I stopped doing it. I have 2 cups of coffee and that's it till noon every day. My lunch is always less than 500 calories because even then I'm still not really hungry and honestly, I didn't start eating lunch till I was 28 or so anyway. Most the time I just eat one of those little soups and I think that's about 290-ish calories.

I eat whatever I want for dinner. Tonight it was 4 soft shell tacos. I'm stuffed!! I probably won't eat anything else today, but most days I'll snack on something right before bed because I don't normally get this stuffed with dinner. I just happen to love soft shell tacos a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Would love it if you could post some recipes: I hope we can get closer to vegetarian than we have been and the more options the better!

ETA: and I LOVE spicy foods! Love love love - as my dad used to say "It's not a good meal unless you're sweating!"
    Chances are good what you've eaten is mostly North Indian food. What I cook/eat is mostly South Indian, so the flavor profile is going to be completely different.

I'll post a recipe of my own, and you can tell me if you think you'd like it. And a link to a recipe that I like a lot. The key to inoffensive onion is to chop it small and fry it really well.

http://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2009/11...ngbeansprouts/ (*extremely* healthy and YUMMY!)

Green Beans Stir Fry

Chop green beans really fine (as in 3 or 4 mm thick; you want to do this ahead of time as it is time consuming). Heat a little oil and add a pinch of turmeric. Add the beans, salt, red chili powder and saute until done (I like it a little crunchy). Add grated fresh coconut (or frozen grated coconut; if you live in a place with Indian grocery stores, you can find it there. You can add toasted coconut flakes in a pinch; just make sure it's not sweetened). Fry an additional 3 minutes or so and call it done.
    Last edited by Suja; 10-13-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Mylah, I love the Jon Hamm story and pictures! Thanks for sharing that.

When I was 12 and most girls my age were in love with Duran Duran, I was in love with Robert Wagner from Hart to Hart. I was a teenager and I thought Jonathan and Jennifer Hart were the best couple ever. Anyway, when I was 18, I worked at a hotel in Anchorage, and one summer day Robert Wagner checked into the hotel. I was beside myself. I called my mom and told her, she of course knew how I felt about him, and told me I just had to talk to him, or I would regret it. I was so nervous, I can still remember my heart beating 1000 times a minute. But I did get the nerve to walk up to him and talk to him. I told him I had all his tapes of H2H and he said "all my tapes?" lol by this time the show had been off the air for 5 years. Anyway, we chatted for a bit about his trip to AK.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Gwenn, which Marian Keyes book did you read? My first (and the one I'm fondest of) was Angels, perhaps because it took place on the Westside of LA where I was living at the time I read it. But I think I was most affected by This Charming Man. I loved the character who ran off to the beach town to escape Mr. Wrong (not a spoiler; I think that happens in the first 3 pages) because I have several vivid memories myself of being sad and traveling to cool places immediately following a breakup. Sadness amplifies natural beauty to me for some reason.
    I confess when I discover a new author I always try to read in the order books were published so I've read Watermelon and Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married. The second one was a little long so it took me a while to get into it but with both books, once they got going I really enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Mandy, that just doesn't seem right. How can they make you use sick time when you've worked so many hours? Doesn't working from home count? I don't know them, but part of me wonders if that wasn't a passive aggressive move on their part to 'punish' you for having the audacity to get hurt at work and then seek treatment for it. Does workman's comp vary by state? I'm pretty sure in NY the employer CANNOT make you use sick time if you're being seen for a work related injury. I'd call someone and inquire about that.
    I asked the HR office about it because I thought taking sick time for workman's comp sounded strange, too. I was told that I was expected to take either sick time or personal time, or arrange flex time with my supervisor. So I told my dept head I wanted to count the time I worked at home and was told we couldn't get paid to work from home. Then I said I wanted credit for the two hours overtime I had already worked that week and was told that flex time had to be approved in advance so they wouldn't approve that time. I do suspect they're annoyed with me for claiming an injury. Yesterday the PT told me he really wanted to see me three times a week, and I can't make that happen without cancelling appointments - but he told me it was crazy if I couldn't take time from work for a workman's comp injury. So I told my dept head today I scheduled PT on Monday morning and would be coming in at 9:30 (an hour after my first appt is scheduled). She has not yet cancelled that appointment. I don't care - I won't be there and she has had plenty of notice. I can't go without medical care for her convenience.

The school system is very resistant to working at home because teachers require subs if they aren't at work. The fact that I have no sub makes no difference to anyone - I'm on the same contract so to the administration the situation is identical. And my immediate adminstrators don't care to make any exceptions to the rules for purposes known best to themselves. It's getting ridiculous, though. I will say it's making me think very seriously about working for myself, though.

PT is really helping, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Bridget that is SO sweet! I've never had raw milk! My mom raves about it all the time, I guess thats all she drank growing up in Pennsylvania.
    My mom's dad was a dairy farmer and my dad's family had a farm, too. So they both grew up drinking raw milk.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I didn't realize people really did that L. I thought it was just something made up for the show. And can I say, that seems like a very selfless thing for him to do. I'm sure it wasn't easy.
    There are programs like that in my field. You can get student loan forgiveness for working with certain populations, too, like on Native American reservations or inner city schools. When I was applying to grad schools I heard that you could get all your tuition paid if you went to school in Hawaii and then agreed to work in the public schools there for a number of years. I thought seriously about that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    What sort of stuff do you like to eat? Are you averse to spicy foods/experimentation? Our diet is mostly vegetarian; I can suggest recipes if you'd like, but you'd have to like Indian food.
    Mmmm! I was just craving Indian food tonight!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-13-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    There are programs like that in my field. You can get student loan forgiveness for working with certain populations, too, like on Native American reservations or inner city schools. When I was applying to grad schools I heard that you could get all your tuition paid if you went to school in Hawaii and then agreed to work in the public schools there for a number of years. I thought seriously about that one!
    mmm....I'm tempted!

Can you contact your worker's comp directly and ask them? It just doesn't seem right that you have to use up your own time due to a work related injury. What if you didn't have any time to use?

And I also try to read all the books in the order they were written, even if the author doesn't continue with the same characters.

On a related note to books read in the order they were written, I'm trying to read Josh the Oz books in chronological order even though they don't really need to be. Every time I ask any librarian what order the Oz books were written in they're very confused by that, for some reason. "Well they're not really a series," they point out to me. Well I know that, but the same characters tend to pop up in some, and I'd like to read their stories in the right order. Sigh.

I read them mostly in order when I was a kid - they weren't in print though so I couldn't find them all. I really loved them!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Yum - the green bean recipe had my mouth watering! I will pass these on to DH. Thanks, Suja!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Chances are good what you've eaten is mostly North Indian food. What I cook/eat is mostly South Indian, so the flavor profile is going to be completely different.

I'll post a recipe of my own, and you can tell me if you think you'd like it. And a link to a recipe that I like a lot. The key to inoffensive onion is to chop it small and fry it really well.

http://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2009/11...ngbeansprouts/ (*extremely* healthy and YUMMY!)

Green Beans Stir Fry

Chop green beans really fine (as in 3 or 4 mm thick; you want to do this ahead of time as it is time consuming). Heat a little oil and add a pinch of turmeric. Add the beans, salt, red chili powder and saute until done (I like it a little crunchy). Add grated fresh coconut (or frozen grated coconut; if you live in a place with Indian grocery stores, you can find it there. You can add toasted coconut flakes in a pinch; just make sure it's not sweetened). Fry an additional 3 minutes or so and call it done.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Man you girls are chatty. I can barely keep up!

I started watching Breaking Bad and I really enjoyed it. But I started having lucid/intense dreams about doing meth again so I had to stop watching it. Those days are long gone and I don't like revisiting them. It really sucks because the show is so well written.

I don't think I've ever eaten Indian food except naan bread. Which is amazing omg. I should try it one day!

Bridget, your DBF makes me want to kick him in the nuts. Ugh, men.

Bed time for me
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Don't feel bad Karen, I'm always running behind

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I get lost too and I'm in here pretty frequently. It seems like the times I'm busy at work or home, everyone gets uber chatty!

It's ok if you have to skip over some posts. I try to skim all of them when I fall behind just so I can keep up with what's going on in my friends lives, but I don't always get a chance to respond to everything. And once in a while, I can't even do that. I just have to jump in and hope that eventually the blanks will be filled in

Thanks for the link Mandy-I knew I could find it online somewhere but the only time I think of it is when I'm at the library looking for the next book. Don't librarians have internet access? They always seem so put out when I ask them the order of the books. (Can you tell this really bothers me? LOL)

Tonight's a big NKOTB night! Joe is guest starring on CSI: NY then Blue Bloods starring Donnie is on You know where to find me from 9 to 11 EST!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    When I was 12 and most girls my age were in love with Duran Duran, I was in love with Robert Wagner from Hart to Hart. I was a teenager and I thought Jonathan and Jennifer Hart were the best couple ever. Anyway, when I was 18, I worked at a hotel in Anchorage, and one summer day Robert Wagner checked into the hotel. I was beside myself. I called my mom and told her, she of course knew how I felt about him, and told me I just had to talk to him, or I would regret it. I was so nervous, I can still remember my heart beating 1000 times a minute. But I did get the nerve to walk up to him and talk to him. I told him I had all his tapes of H2H and he said "all my tapes?" lol by this time the show had been off the air for 5 years. Anyway, we chatted for a bit about his trip to AK.
    That's an awesome story, Shelley. When I was younger, I remember always mixing Robert Wagner up with another actor, and now I can't remember the other actor's name or face. My aunt in Houston named her cat Freeway after the dog in H2H; I remember that, though.

I was one of those 12-yr old Duranies. When I was growing up, my dad and his buds all had girls, and we spent most weekends together. We all had names that began with the same initial. So my sis & I were M&M, and there was F&F and E&E. Actually, the last pair had unfortunate names. Since my dad & friends were all engineers, and my dad's buddy actually thought he'd name both his daughters with the initials EMC, so together they were E=MC2 (sort of). Finally, there was the one friend of my dad's who had the only child and we all nicknamed her "Chewy"; she was a good 5 years older than the oldest of us anyway and was sort of our idol. She had cool clothes (as in a backless zebra print Chinese-style dress), tons of teen magazines, she told us ghost stories around the campfire, taught us how to dance to New Wave, introduced us to Duran Duran and later drove a Firebird with the plate "DranFan". Anyway, we all got into camps over who was in love with what Duran Duran member. I chose Nick Rhodes and my walls were literally plastered with his pictures from Bop magazine. The other girls - except my sister whose walls were covered with Adam Ant stuff - drooled over John Taylor, Simon Le Bon and Roger. But no one was into the plainest one, Andy. Poor rockstar Andy.

Anyway, I told that story for no apparent reason except thanks for calling the memories. We still all stay in touch with each other now, though we're spread out. Chewy has a grown son already. I'm going to have to write her about that zebra dress.

Mandy, I'm not sure how Workers' Comp works in your state. I do think it's the same here, that if you're injured on the job, you need to use PTO/sick time first, and then can start claiming disability to recover lost income for any further time off. I don't, however, think that your job can prevent you from taking the time you need to get all the treatment necessary. It seems like you're getting the shaft there with the pressure they're putting on you to keep working through the pain.

I'll have to try out that green bean recipe. Is it supposed to get a bit mushy, like a thick paste, Suja? I obviously haven't made it yet, but I'm already imagining myself overcooking it or using too much liquid and it turning into something that looks more like a thick soup.

Kate, I loved the Oz series. I used to be able to rattle off the order of books by heart. I used to put my hanging mirror on the floor and, it would look magical, reflecting the cottage cheese ceiling, and I'd imagine I could "jump" into Oz through it. As an aside, later, when I got into The Monkees, I would imagine I had a trap door in my closet to the 60's, and I'd meet them all, sell them a bunch of Beatles/Rolling Stones songs that hadn't yet been released, and we'd all be rich and best friends.

I liked John Taylor the best.

I mostly loved the Police. I could never decide between Sting or Stewart Copeland. I got Andy Summers to sign one of my ticket stubs from one of their concerts when I was 15 or so, but never thought he was cute. Maybe it was the name Andy that screwed these guys out of their due teenage adoration.

I love your imagination, Myles!

I was nuts about the Oz series too as a kid. I was just looking through the list Mandy linked and I could vaguely remember almost all of them.

Oh yeah, and speaking of books. My cousin sent me a copy of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I don't know if you guys have been seeing the press about the movie version they're going to make of it. It's a lot more depressing and brutal than the books I typically read esp for young adult fiction, but I felt I had to read it since my cousin went out of her way to gift it to me. It was pretty good, an easy read, and now I feel like I want to finish reading the trilogy.

Bodhi and I are slowly making our way thru The Invention of Hugo Cabret at night. It's a 500-page graphic children's novel, but not illustrated on every page. So we plod through it. I read a few sentences, and then have to turn around and paraphrase them for B. The story is really cool, though. I like the challenge of telling stories without pictures and then seeing B's little wheels turning to follow the story in his head. That's another book that is being turned into a movie soon.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I liked John Taylor the best.

I mostly loved the Police. I could never decide between Sting or Stewart Copeland. I got Andy Summers to sign one of my ticket stubs from one of their concerts when I was 15 or so, but never thought he was cute. Maybe it was the name Andy that screwed these guys out of their due teenage adoration.

I'm a bit young for Duran Duran...but one of the Bee Gees was named Andy, right? Was he popular?

I really can't recall many famous Andys. Hmm.

And Sting is hot.

I was into rap. Slick Rick, LL Cool J, Eazy-E (NWA), Bel Biv Devoe. My poor mother.

Dbf's been hanging out with Sawyer upstairs almost all day. I am so happy about that. They need to bond. I feel like Sawyer keeps getting happier and happier. It's like with each physical milestone he meets he's just ecstatic as if he had no idea life could be so good. Just the other day he pulled himself up for the first time in the playpen while I plopped him in there so I could make playdough. He screamed in pure delight. His joyful screams are so loud that you can feel it in your toes. Seriously. It's piercing. I can tell that when we are out in public people want to be annoyed when he does it but they really can't so they give me painful smiles.

I loved the first Hunger Games book and I am worried about the movie. I hope they don't water it down too much. I'm happy with the casting though.

I can't remember the last book I read that was not related to child development or curriculum planning. When I read these days I can barely keep my eyes open.

Mylah, I know just what you mean about reading books with few pictures. Savana tells me now that she likes her own pictures in her mind better.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'll have to try out that green bean recipe. Is it supposed to get a bit mushy, like a thick paste, Suja? I obviously haven't made it yet, but I'm already imagining myself overcooking it or using too much liquid and it turning into something that looks more like a thick soup.
    No. Most definitely not. It's supposed to be dry. The beans in the pic below are a little overcooked (I do it so the kidlet can eat it properly), but it should give you an idea. I don't usually use any water. Just put a lid on it while cooking, and sprinkle a little water, a teaspoon or two at a time if you need to.

Another Police fan here

Sawyer. He sounds like such a joy to be around!!

Oh I still had to time to love Duran Duran too My favorite was John Taylor, my best friend liked Simon LeBon. The 80's had the best music. I loved it all from hair bands, Billy Joel, Madonna, Michael Jackson, U2, The Police, INXS, Run D.M.C, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

I read an article one time that said your greatest musical influence is between the ages of 9-20. I definitely believe that is true. I can hear a song from that time frame, and I am instantly taken back in time. Whenever I hear I Love Rock N' Roll by Joan Jett, I can smell the skating rink and remember my 5th grade crush.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    Whenever I hear I Love Rock N' Roll by Joan Jett, I can smell the skating rink and remember my 5th grade crush.
    One of my fondest memories in life to date (aside from having kids, of course) was sitting in the front row at a Joan Jett concert with my mom and 3 daughters while she played this song. It was an awesome moment.

Also, during the concert I totally locked eyes for a looonnngg time with her. yep. If I went that way, I coulda had her!! lol

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Aw, that Sawyer sounds like a scream (hah!). Baby S. is also very loud and delighted with himself. I frequently describe him as the loudest baby I've ever had. He is so incredibly happy, but he has been using that noise for evil as well as good lately. I had to leave the health food store yesterday because he started screaming when I wouldn't let him run around and pull jars off the shelves. Everyone was staring at me. I never had this particular problem with the twins.

I think I've told you guys that the only dolls my sister and I had growing up were both named Ozma, right? My grandma made us sock dolls, one with yellow yarn hair and one with brown yarn hair, one for me and one for my sister. I named mine Ozma because I couldn't picture a more beautiful name. My sister also named her doll Ozma because she thought the same thing. So it was really easy to say things like "Can we take the Ozmas along to the store?" or "Let's go outside and play with our Ozmas."

My sister had the Duran Duran posters in her room. I don't think I've had a major crush on anyone unattainable since Shaun Cassidy.

I've been having issues continuing with the chapter books with my kids. DS only likes non-fiction, and DD only likes fiction. I've been reading The Boxcar Children and continuing that every other night, and then alternating that with books DS picks out, like the Discovery Education books I got on sale at a going-out-of-business Borders Bookstore. So we follow the adventures of Henry, Violet, Jessie and Benny as they explore an island and find shells and artifacts and go fishing one night, and the next night we read about population growth in A Peopled Planet or stem cell research and organ transplants in Technology and Treatments or matter and antimatter in A Material World. I was telling someone at work about DS stating he would never want to have his feet bound after reading Fashion Can be Fatal, and she said she thought it was really inappropriate reading material for a four-year-old. I mentioned it to dh, and he agreed. I said wait a minute, it may be a little strange that they know what crinoline cages and corsets are, and the elaborate hairdos called fontanges, but don't you think it's a good idea that they know that throughout history people have done really dangerous and ridiculous and sometimes deadly things because they were the popular and cool thing to do? Maybe it's a good idea that they realize that what is trendy isn't always the best (and not just because their parents are telling them that is so). Besides, if they want to read these books, and they are interested and not scared, I am not one to stifle their curiosity. I guess I won't mention it at work anymore, though.

Aw, Sawyer sounds like a cutie pie! He does look so happy in your siggy pic, Bridget!

I don't remember much music from the 80's as a child except for Madonna. I can remember seeing her on MTV and being fascinated by how weird she seemed to be! LOL. The band of my choice that were on my wall were Boyz 2 Men....hehehe. I do love 80's music now, but I have to say my era was the 90's with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and The Cranberries.

Suja, I loooove Indian food. Please post more recipes! I need to branch out from just kormas and tikkas.

I was doing my morning volunteering today and the teacher I'm currently helping is a really good teacher, but today, he said to 2 boys in the class that were laughing while he was trying to teach, "You 2 need to stop giggling like 2 little girls." I just sort of stood there and thought, Did he just say that?!

Any how, Cash is currently teething, so he's really whiney, so I need to remind myself to be very patient with him. Travis has been entertaining us recently with all the new songs and routines he's been doing at school; at random times of the day, he'll tell me something he does at school or start singing a song they sing at school...it's so cute.

L, I loved the Boxcar Children when I was little. I'll have to get those books to read to Trav! About the non-fiction books, if you think your kids can handle that type of info, go for it. Like you said, it's not like it's frightened R. or anything.