Page 799 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2996997497897977987998008018098498991299 ... LastLast
Results 23,941 to 23,970 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm always picking up a conker if I see one! It was one of those strange English games that only they would play! The school kids love them.

That is so cool that your dad did that, Lydia. I didn't realise that your dad was a doctor.

When I go back home for visits to Arkansas, my ears take a minute to adjust but as soon as we get back to England, people tell me how southern I sound.

I didn't realize people really did that L. I thought it was just something made up for the show. And can I say, that seems like a very selfless thing for him to do. I'm sure it wasn't easy.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Hi everyone! Another ridiculously long day. Much as I love how PT is helping my knee, it's killing me. I have to leave early with work undone, go spend an hour at PT or in the doctor's office, then come home and try to do all the work I didn't finish at work at home and I'm not finishing until 9:00 or so. And I am seriously ticked because they made me take 2 hours sick time despite the fact that I worked 2 hours overtime at work and another several hours at home trying to get my work done.
    Gwenn, if this is a workplace injury and you are being asked to take personal time off for PT, you may want to check into your state's laws to see if that's legal. Also, you may want to have a chat with your supervisor/boss about how it's a disincentive for you to work OT/at home to catch up on hours when they are essentially pretending that you're not working those hours.

I agree w/ Chrissy, L. It sounds like it could have become a labor of love. And also - in its own way - it must have been nice for your dad to work outside the system and really try to provide care for his patients.

Conkers sounds fun. It sort of reminds me of the time B & I spent an hour digging a big hole in the sand and filling it with twigs and packing it back in with sand to make them "dip-a-seer" (disappear). Bodhi enjoyed himself immensely.

Today is my Friday! I have a 3 day weekend because my sister is coming up to visit and bringing her gf to meet us.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Today is my Friday! I have a 3 day weekend because my sister is coming up to visit and bringing her gf to meet us.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's cool, Jennifer!

I'm out at school tomorrow morning working on English and Math with the kids and then hanging out with the boys in the afternoon. This weekend, we're taking the boys to York to see the Train museum and also probably going swimming, too.

Haha. I just realized you guys were talking about not taking small kids to museums and we're going to a museum....lol....but it is a train museum, though!

Have a great 3-day Jennifer!

I've taken my kids to various museums...it's never been a problem for me.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Despite his faults, my dad really does work selflessly and for love. His office visits are still under $30 (and much lower than anyone else's in town), he still makes housecalls, he still takes payment in trade or lets people just work off medical bills by doing repairs or giving him meat they hunted or whatever. He's given old cars to indigent patients. Actually, a homeless guy is living in a car in his driveway now. Usually there are a few homeless people living on his property at any given time. He writes off bills if people can't pay them. He gives sample medications to people who can't afford prescriptions. He doesn't order unnecessary tests. He gives out his home number and cell number and answers the phone day and night. He's a very kind-hearted man and an excellent doctor. He has a really hard time taking time off from work because no visiting doctor can come in and deal with his hours and his load and the things he does. Since the twins were born, he's taken a few long weekends every year to come out and visit, but before that he only took maybe 3 vacations in the previous 15 years. I've learned a lot from him.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I take my kids to museums. What's the issue? We have a membership to the Oakland Museum of California, where it's good to go on rainy days or really hot days. The only issue is no running inside, so I always have to remind DS, but it's a great museum. Right now they have an interactive John Muir exhibit.

I take them to the train museum and aviation museum too.

L, your dad sounds pretty amazing!

I would probably take little kids to museums too. DH and I are museum go-ers....though I might wait depending on which museum. An art one would probably be pretty boring for a 3 yr old....but something like the science and industry would be better.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

L, that is really nice thing of your father to do. I was born in Central Idaho, lived there until I was 12. My bil is from Southern Idaho, we used to tease him that we lived in the pretty part of the state. Southern Idaho is desert like and North/Central Idaho is green and hilly.

A, I am sure the boys will love a train museum! G is all about trains and cars, as most boys are. I can understand you being a little homesick for America. My dh and I have talked about living in England. But I don't see it happening, cost of living and the weather keeps it from happening. As much as I can daydream about living there, not sure I could cope with the grey winters.

We can mark off the pumpkin patch off our list for the year. I took G there this morning with my sister. He liked looking at the pumpkins, but was leery of the scarecrows. G wasn't a fan of any picture taking, so we left.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

You father really does sound truly amazing L.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I take my kids to museums. What's the issue? We have a membership to the Oakland Museum of California, where it's good to go on rainy days or really hot days. The only issue is no running inside, so I always have to remind DS, but it's a great museum. Right now they have an interactive John Muir exhibit.

I take them to the train museum and aviation museum too.
    I think I started the museum comment,only as a joke. When we were in England, the two days we chose to visit museums, G was not happy about it. Touring the Roman Baths, he was fine at first, but we were there for a good 4 hours, and he got bored. They had handheld audio devices for children, but they were for school-age children. Our second attempt was Hampton Court, where Henry VII lived, which we really wanted to see. After an hour of looking at the old building, G just wanted to run around outside. Which we did, it has the most gorgeous gardens.
    My dh is in the museum profession, if it had just been us we would have done more of them. But some can be pricey. G is at the age where he thinks it's all about him, and running around, yelling. Such fun.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Savana and Kai both love museums of all kinds. History ones are their favorites. We have a lot of Native American history in our area so the museums around here have beautiful exhibits with replicas and artifacts. They could stay all day. I get bored before they do!
    And we've gone to a few art museums as well. Savana loves them. Kai could take it or leave it but he won't be left behind so he always joins us.

I have officially given up on finding the lost library items and tonight I go in with my tail between my legs and pay my massive fine and hope that dbf never finds out because he would be very, very, very upset. The way I look at it, for all the hundreds of books we have read between myself and the children that we borrowed from the library, it is still worth it.

Maybe they will let you pay in two installments, Bridget. Worth asking about - sounds like it's a chunk of change! And definitely - if you think about how much buying all those books would be you are still coming out ahead.

Just sanded and primed my front door and after I eat and do a little work, I go back out and do the first coat of Blue Mosque!!! I'm excited - hope it looks good.

I've lost 6 pounds. I hate it, but I have found that eating only one meal a day and making protein shakes for the other two is the best way for me to do it. I have such difficulty with vegetables - back to that old old discussion we had about sensory issues! But I do like cabbage, so I just had 2 cups of steamed cabbage with a bit of asian tasting turkey lettuce wrap filling that my dh made. It was not bad.

My dh has been on a vegetarian diet for about a week now. He made dinner the other night that was so vegetarian I just couldn't eat it. Spaghetti squash and quinoa with kale - I wish I like that stuff but I just can't do it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I always put spinach leaves in my smoothies. It totally blends in and does not mess with the taste too much. Could you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    My dh has been on a vegetarian diet for about a week now. He made dinner the other night that was so vegetarian I just couldn't eat it. Spaghetti squash and quinoa with kale - I wish I like that stuff but I just can't do it.
    What sort of stuff do you like to eat? Are you averse to spicy foods/experimentation? Our diet is mostly vegetarian; I can suggest recipes if you'd like, but you'd have to like Indian food.

I could do that. I actually like spinach alright. Hate peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, celery - I think it has to do with the crisp and/or slimy soft textures. I just have trouble with a lot of vegetarian cuisine because those seem to be staples.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I have trouble with Indian food, but I don't think I have eaten enough of it to know if I like it or not. The textures kind of bother me from what I remember, and there's one flavor of curry that does not agree with me at all. I love asian food and those spices, and was thinking the other day about how much more I enjoy it now that I eat more of it. Would love it if you could post some recipes: I hope we can get closer to vegetarian than we have been and the more options the better!

ETA: and I LOVE spicy foods! Love love love - as my dad used to say "It's not a good meal unless you're sweating!"

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I could do that. I actually like spinach alright. Hate peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, celery - I think it has to do with the crisp and/or slimy soft textures. I just have trouble with a lot of vegetarian cuisine because those seem to be staples.

Even if diced finely and cooked? I mean I'm not big on onions and celery but fine with them cooked in things like soups or something.

Never had zucchini that I know or squash.

what veggies we eat a LOT of are carrots (and did take me a long time before I liked them raw but now eat them in my lunch every day...started with just a bite, than one baby one, than two until I was eating a half a sandwich bag a day. We do a lot of broccoli...one of our favorites. and DH likes brussel sprouts a lot so we tend to have them once a week or so. Tomatoes and lettuce and over the summer a lot of cucucumbers. I like cauliflower but don't seem to buy it often.
    I'm ok with green beans or peas in something like soup or casserole.

Now what I don't care for much are beans. I can tolerate some kidney ones in chili or once in a while in soup....
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 10-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I like the taste of onions, so as long as they are finely diced or cooked to a pulp I can eat them. Same with celery. Peppers no - the smell makes my head ache and the mouthfeel is just too awful.

Spaghetti squash and quinoa with kale would go uneaten around here. I like quinoa, but I mix it with other foods like beans. We are not much of a fan of veggies around here, for shame. We like starchy vegs like peas, corn, sweet potatoes. But a real healthy green leafy veg, not so much. I like broccoli but dh and ds won't touch it. I like veggies cut up small in veggie soups. I was a vegetarian in college for about 6 months, but I just ate a lot of carbs, I didn't dream of eating green healthy vegs.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

I've been moving back towards vegetarianism recently ever since a co-worker let me thumb through his copy of The China Syndrome and I read the role caseins in meats can play in developing cancers. I know it's all theoretical at this point. And this time last year, I was all into Nourishing Traditions which somewhat emphasizes the importance of animals fats and proteins. And what with the general consensus all around that processed carbs aren't that great for you either, it seems like the only thing you can't overdo is in eating fresh fruits and veggies provided they aren't chock full of toxins.

I try not to be too intense and strict with myself about what I eat, but I guess I possess a touch of paranoia. Besides that, I do love kale. I recently posted on my FB status that I wished I had my own army of leafcutter ants, because they seem to cut leaves to the perfect size that I like to chop my kale. LOL.

OK, guys. Remember how I told you my friend got to meet Jon Hamm (a.k.a. Mad Men's Don Draper) not too long ago? Here is what she shared with me. I thought it was pretty darned funny.

hi ladies. ok.

it went something like this.

around 4 on tuesday afternoon john hodgman posted the following on twitter: "Please note: also performing at the Jon Glaser event tonight at the Bell House are: Paul Rudd, Jon Hamm, Scott Adsit, and Ira Kaplan."

bombs exploded. have never looked up anything so fast on google before. turned out event was free plus K really likes jon glaser so i proposed that we go and K said that it would be greatest night of our young lives.

arrived super early to the bell house, front lounge was closed so we just stood in nondescript waiting area with a few hipster guys, two fangirls (i hated them immediately) and this weird chubby guy in a bright yellow jacket who tried to engage K in conversation over the relative merits of measuring temperature in celsius vs. fahrenheit. i chewed multiple sticks of gum in feverish anticipation of crushing fangirl skull on the way to the front row.

got second row seats and K went to go buy the book that inspired the event. weird guy with yellow jacket sat front row center. he would eventually give several awkward standing ovations.

not sure if you've seen jon glaser's show on adult swim (delocated) but he plays a character in the witness protection program who has to go around with a balaclava and altered voice so watching him talk with his face exposed was unusually unusual. he explained that he'd have his friends read parts of his new book which finally explained what all those people listed in hodgman's tweet would be doing.

ira kaplan came out first and because nobody recognized him he got a pretty sad, lukewarm reception. it would have helped if he'd said something like "i'm the guy from yo la tengo". john hodgman was next, then zoe lister-jones who was super cute (i hated her immediately), then scott adsit who was exactly like his character on 30 rock, then jon hamm (i died, i just perished in my seat, he was so comely and his hair was perfect), then paul rudd who looked schlubby but that only made him rise higher in my estimation and his reading was the funniest (he did accents). i was crying laughter tears.

after the show we got a drink and watched as scott adsit posed for photos with people and todd barry sulked around friendless even though he's on the show with jon glaser. everyone else was in a backstage room i could see during the show. the best/saddest moment was when i watched todd barry try to go backstage but the door was locked so he just jiggled the door handle and then backed off, looking totally dejected.

AND THEN JON HAMM CAME OUT. like, for no ostensible reason and by himself. i decided he must be drunk because he was smiling that goofy smile. K said we had to get pictures. i broke out in a sweat, i suddenly felt that was the most impossible thing. by this time the fangirls had descended with their mad men dvd's for him to sign. K insisted. i stood firm/frozen. the negotiations proceeded as follows:

me to K: "i can't do this, i can't be one of those girls"
    K to me: "we have to. i was don draper for halloween two years in a row"
    me to K: "that's true and funny. fine. but at least have him sign the chapter he read or else i'll feel stupid"
    K to me: "ok"
    [we inch toward him]
    K to jon hamm a few minutes later as jon hamm signs book: "i was you for halloween two years in a row"
    jon hamm to K: "on purpose?"
    [i take a picture of them]
    me to jon hamm: "can i have one too?"
    jon hamm to me: "of course"
    me to jon hamm: "i was you for just one halloween haha just kidding"
    jon hamm to me: "i should hope so"
    [i put my hand on mid-to-lower back like a creep and smile into the camera like a weird, shiny-faced clown]

end scene. wish i could press a button and relive and tweak the moment subtly a la groundhog day until i get to be his friend and for some reason he and his wife like having me over to their house.

wish you guys could have been there, we would have been unstoppable.

xx
    And here are the pics she sent me of her and her DBF with Mr. Hamm. I "fleured" out their faces to protect their identities. It must be weird to be a celebrity and have people sharing your picture in forums like this, but I suppose it comes with the territory.

Katy, which meal do you not replace? I should really do a shake diet like that but I struggle with replacing lunch and dinner. I have no problem replacing breakfast since I'm not a breakfast person.

That's neat! I don't know who that is (I haven't watched Man Men) but it must be something quite extraordinary to meet a star you think so much of that you'd dress as him 2 years in a row!

That's an awesome story about Jon Hamm!
    And yeah...remember I spread my new kids pictures all over this forum..so don't feel bad. It's not like you're posting naked pics or his private pictures.

Mylah, you have so many brushes with celebrities, even 2nd-hand. I would totally dress as Betty Draper, not even on Halloween. In fact, I have been browsing vintage and retro clothing shops because those styles of dresses fit my body really well. The problem is most of those clothes are not made for wide shoulders. I have a small waist, but a big rib cage and shoulders so I need a big dress size.

These kinds of cuts just work well on me.

Congrats on the weight loss, Katythin!