Page 798 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2986987487887967977987998008088488981298 ... LastLast
Results 23,911 to 23,940 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm going to England some day, dammit. I want to see Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey too.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Oh Mylah I forgot to reply to your pumpkin festival question - I don't think we can make it this weekend. DH is sick and I have a 4-year-old b-day party one of the weekend days and our friend with the four-year-old is coming this weekend also. Every other weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Oooh, I'm not a fan of sweets here; we expats joke that the English love "dry, crappy cakes." LOL. I used to love the bacon here but I do miss crispy streaky bacon sometimes, though.
    That is funny! I like sweets, but so often here if you get a cake from the bakery it will be way too sweet. If I bake at home I reduce the sugar.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I was in London for one afternoon when I was 16. I was staying in France near Lille and we took a bus trip to London and rode the ferry across, think that it landed in Dover? Basically the bus drove around and we had a tiny bit of time to walk around and I got a t-shirt at the hard rock cafe. And found it amusing to ask for directions on how to get there...something about an up and over and roundabout. LOL i would have loved more time but well I was only 16 and it was a school group thing (we stayed with families but than had some group outtings like a day trip to Paris and London....my host dad was not about to let two 16 yr girls go to Paris by ourselves!).

Can't handle too much sugar myself. I will literally get sick if it's too sweet....side effect of the gastric bypass even though that was 7 years ago. I do have sweets but usually make them myself and like chocolate I can do dark much better than milk. I have to be careful of too much fat/grease too.

And yeah southern accents that are really strong are hard for me to understand. I have a much easier time with English, French, India....basically anything but strong southern. I'm so far north that it wouldn't be much more than a day trip to get to Canada!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Well I live in the south and my mom thinks I "speak southern" now LOL! I really don't. Native Atlantans always ask me am I from New York of all places, which I think is really funny since NY accents, (New York City BTW) are pretty distinctive IMO.

It took me about a year to understand people here. Atlantan accents are actually harder to understand IMO than those from Lousiana. I know quite a few people from LA and I love the way they talk. I also love TN and KY accents. I call them a "sing song voice" and they remind me of country singers like Loretta Lynn.

Erin

I love southern accents as well. I can't recall ever struggling to understand them, but I haven't really been submerged in the deep south either. Perhaps the few I've ran across up here have had their accent lessened by the time I get to hear them.

My dh is funny because when we travel south, he gets a tinge of the southern drawl himself. He kind of speaks slow and low anyway (not that he is slow, but he's not a fast-talker, if that makes sense) so I think it's more natural for him.

I asked my mom if the people at the burger king were stupid while driving through the south on the way to disneyworld. My mom about died. I was little but not THAT little but first time really hearing the southern accent.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's a shame we can't see you with the punkins, L, but I didn't realistically think you would come out anyway. I'm almost a half hour away from it myself, which would probably make it well over an hour's drive for you. Good luck with your friend and his son this weekend. I hope he doesn't give you any problems.

I came so close to buying a carrot cupcake when I read about the ones in England. Carrot cake is my favorite, and I too like to be able to taste ingredients other than the sugar. My mother used to order this cake made out of purple yams. It's delish, and pretty too.

Shelley, I used to live in Brighton. Did you go there on your last visit to the UK? I keep wondering whether I should take my kiddo there the next time we go, since they have the "Pleasure Pier" that I thought was so tacky back in my college days. We're waiting a little longer to travel there again, though. We want our London friends who just had twins to make it through their first year as parents before we descend on them for a visit.

Ooh, forgot to tell y'all, last week we cashed in a few airline miles for a quick family surf trip to Puerto Rico next Feb/Mar. Whee!

Ash, I am from the Deep South. Of California. LOL. My southern accent sounds more "Valley Girl".

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I asked my mom if the people at the burger king were stupid while driving through the south on the way to disneyworld. My mom about died. I was little but not THAT little but first time really hearing the southern accent.
    omg-that's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Ooh, forgot to tell y'all, last week we cashed in a few airline miles for a quick family surf trip to Puerto Rico next Feb/Mar. Whee!
    That sounds like fun!!!

Chrissy my mom didn't think that it was that funny! And seriously I was like 7 and so should have known better. I actually remember this...my mom was trying to order plain cheeseburgers and these kids (well they seemed old to me but now I realize teens aren't old!) just couldn't understand and were like you mean you just want the bun...with nothing on it. Finally my mom was like, I want a bun, a piece of meat and a piece of cheese. And I was like, what is wrong with these people that they are talking so slow, are they stupid or something.
    OMG my poor mom.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have no doubt it wasn't funny at the time and I certainly wouldn't laugh if it had happened to me...not till much later anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I know one show that absolutely cracks me up...The IT Crowd. It's not an American show..you can catch clips of it on Youtube and it's available (or was?) on Netflix Streaming. It's stupid funny, but some of what is represented in the IT dept on the show is what really happens...just exaggerated of course.
    Love love love The IT Crowd!!! One of my all-time favorites. And if you ever get the chance to watch a BBC show called "Garth Marenghi's Dark Place" you should jump on it! Moss from IT is in it and Funniest craziest stupidest show on earth. We actually bought it for waaaaay too much money after I saw one half of one episode and had to buy a special one time use "adaptor" so we could watch the English made show on our American computer. So worth it. Here's episode one on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNfQ0ORwSDM

And Moss from IT also made a talk show based on his Darkplace character that is pretty funny too called Dean Lerner Man to Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_SCV8XwkX8

I am so excited I think I may make dh watch ep. 1 with me tonight!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

You can download VLC player and play any disk from anywhere...in your computer of course. If you're really fancy, you can connect your computer to your modern tv.

I have a 25" (or so) PC at home so if I did purchase expensive disks from outside the US I could still watch them on that.

And I'll definitely have to check those shows out! Thanks!

Oh, also "Peep Show" is a really good British show - the POV is totally different than any show I've ever seen in that we see through the character's eyes. so a conversation between two people actually has each actor staring directly into the camera. It's a little disorienting at first, but a very funny show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI0bVERTi1A

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I confess....I love the accent but have generally not "gotten" British humor when I have tried to watch they comedies.
    I have a hard enough time with British chick lit!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't really do British humor either. I have a hard time with accents. I'm still plugging away through Doctor Who though

Bobbie is nearly obsessed with Dr. Who.

I noticed! LOL

Hi everyone! Another ridiculously long day. Much as I love how PT is helping my knee, it's killing me. I have to leave early with work undone, go spend an hour at PT or in the doctor's office, then come home and try to do all the work I didn't finish at work at home and I'm not finishing until 9:00 or so. And I am seriously ticked because they made me take 2 hours sick time despite the fact that I worked 2 hours overtime at work and another several hours at home trying to get my work done. I don't mind working late, but when I'm working an extra 5-10 hours per week of overtime I am furious about having to take time off when all my work is 100% done, no one is affected by my leaving, and I am paid salary, not hourly. I just finished writing reports an hour ago and it's 10:00. And the kicker is that it's for a workman's comp injury.

We get Veteran's day off which is a Friday writing day which means 4 appts Thursday, 4 Monday, and 4 Tuesday with no writing time. I anticipate spending much of my paid holiday writing. My partner (who is undergoing chemo) asked if we could have fewer evals scheduled that week to give us time to prepare, and she was told no. I should tell them if they want to dock me like an hourly employee they should pay me overtime. So Myles, I sympathize.

And on Monday, I sat in the waiting room for 1 hour after my appointment time for the doctor at the clinic, complained and was put in a room, and waited another 20 minutes to be seen. It was 6:45 when I got home (and started writing reports while watching Terra Nova).

Sorry about the rant.

As for Terra Nova, I think the lines and circles have something to do with communicating with the future. The 3 child thing makes sense to me - the 1 child policy in China has led to some awful human rights abuses.

New Absolutely Fabulous? Must watch! Love that show and Jennifer Saunders.

I am embarrassed to admit I have not read Ender's Game. I need to.

I went to England for my 25th birthday. We were able to tour Buckingham Palace - I'm so glad we got to do that. I would love to go back.

I do love British humor and all things British Chick Lit. L and Myles, I just finished my 2nd Marian Keyes book. I found it a little long but loved the ending although it was a bit predictable. Fun read, though.

Oh, and I love the Inigo Montoya t-shirt!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Katy, I'll have to check out all your recommendations - perhaps tomorrow during some of my copious free time. . I have a feeling I'll love them. The IT Crowd sounds super cool.

And I'll also check out Downton Abbey on Netflix too.

Gwenn, which Marian Keyes book did you read? My first (and the one I'm fondest of) was Angels, perhaps because it took place on the Westside of LA where I was living at the time I read it. But I think I was most affected by This Charming Man. I loved the character who ran off to the beach town to escape Mr. Wrong (not a spoiler; I think that happens in the first 3 pages) because I have several vivid memories myself of being sad and traveling to cool places immediately following a breakup. Sadness amplifies natural beauty to me for some reason.

Did the appointment actually help your knee? I hope so.

I have the blues today and reached a place of self-pity by late this afternoon. The talk with the boss made me realize that the thing I like best about the current job gig (and what I seem to like best about any contract I work) is the autonomy and freedom my jobs typically afford me not to work. So I find it depressing when I get confronted with any kind of constraints placed on me by the workplace, it just shatters the illusion that I'm my own boss. Don't get me wrong; I like the problem-solving and the logic puzzles and even challenging personalities of my work, but isn't it a little sad that I don't find them fulfilling? Anyway, I had such a dark cloud over my head by 5pm that I asked DH if I could do a yoga class tonight. For 90 minutes of Bikram, I found myself crying about how much I miss being with Bodhi during the day and that's all I really want to do. It's a good thing I was sweating so much (the room got up to 111 degrees tonite), because no one could see my tears.

The silver lining is that I'm pretty sure this is my usual PMS, or maybe even PMDD rearing its head again. It's about that time. And after all was said and done in yoga class, I had a feeling of well-being and felt positively that I was doing my best and self-affirmed that I would try harder where I could. Then I went home and had a really pleasant time with B as we put him to bed. So how about that? Yoga made me a better mother tonight.

Chrissy, one of the reasons DH & I know we're right for each other (apart from the fact that we had matching carabiners on our keychains when we met) is the fact that I had a huge crush on Rob Morrow (Dr. Joel) and he had a huge crush on Janine Turner (Maggie) when the show was on the air.

Boy, I've been chatty today!
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-13-2011 at 01:13 AM.

I love those guys out of Peep Show. They did the commercials for Apple where one was a Mac and the other was a PC and they were so funny.

Myles, that's funny about you and your husband being made for each other because of Northern Exposure! That's definitely a sign that you two are soul mates.

I'm glad that the yoga helped your mood. I need something to help my mood. I'm in one of those phases right now where I wish I lived closer to my own family and missing all things American.

Myles! A million times. The image of you sweating and crying in yoga just makes me want to hold you. I feel sad that you can't just be with Bodhi.

I'm feeling like I can't contribute to the conversation because I haven't heard of any of these shows.

I'm still very much in love with the farm where we've started getting raw milk. Yesterday the farmer who has a gloriously long and graying beard paired with a radiant smile came in and chatted with us, talking to Savana and Kai for several minutes. Then we went to pay and somehow I forgot the diaper bag with all of our money! Wth? I bring that bag with me everywhere I go!! They didn't even blink and told us to pay next time we come in. When I said I'd like to mail a check since it may be 2 weeks before we are back, they gave us an envelope and wrote their address.

Mandy, that just doesn't seem right. How can they make you use sick time when you've worked so many hours? Doesn't working from home count? I don't know them, but part of me wonders if that wasn't a passive aggressive move on their part to 'punish' you for having the audacity to get hurt at work and then seek treatment for it. Does workman's comp vary by state? I'm pretty sure in NY the employer CANNOT make you use sick time if you're being seen for a work related injury. I'd call someone and inquire about that.

Myles, I'm so sorry you had a rough day. I wish you could stay home with Bodhi because clearly that's where your heart is. I'm still holding out hope that your next gig will involve more working from home. Maybe 100% working from home with sporadic meetings here and there? Is that too much to hope for?

Woo hoo Bridget! I love things like that too.

Gwenn I really don't think they can make you take your own time for a workmans comp injury, that just doesn't sound right I hope the physical therapy is helping your knee though

Myles I am sorry you had such a rought day I know how you feel about wanting to stay home, I feel the same way. My heart aches everyday I leave him to go to work I too hope you are able to find a project that involves more WAH time so you can spend more time with Bodhi

Bridget that is SO sweet! I've never had raw milk! My mom raves about it all the time, I guess thats all she drank growing up in Pennsylvania.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I have the hardest time with accents too. I don't have the best hearing either, part hereditary, and part listening to loud music in my youth. I joke with dh that I will be like the Grandma on The Walton's with her ear horn.

One time we were driving through a tiny town in Alabama, we stopped a cop to ask for directions, he talked to us for a couple minutes. When dh rolled up the window, we looked at each other, did you understand a word he said? No. We had no idea what he said.

Mylah, we didn't make it to Brighton this time. There is so much to see, it's hard to decide where to go. Bodhi would probably enjoy the trip to England, just don't take him to any museums.
    Has anybody ever heard of Conkers? They are a fruit from the horse chestnut tree. I guess it's a game that children play in England. You take the fruit, which is like a hard seed, and drill a hole in them and bang them together. I don't quite understand it. Anyway, we drove into this little village, and in the center of town was a village green with a huge horse chestnut tree in the middle. This dad and his two kids, were throwing sticks up in the tree to get some conkers down. Gilly saw this, and we all walked over. We spent an hour with the family getting conkers down from the tree. G thought it was the most fun ever, he must have gotten 12 little conkers.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I know conkers, just don't remember where in my childhood I had them. Maybe Wisconsin?

Bridget, sorry, I think I started all the tv show talk by asking for recommendations. TV is a very small part of my life, but when I do sit down to watch it, I want it to be something good.

My dad did the same kind of medical school payback that Dr. Joel did on Northern Exposure. We were so poor growing up, and then when he went to medical school I'm not sure how he did it, except that we ended up living in Eastern Idaho sharing a house and a party line phone while my dad worked for 3-4 years in an area where they didn't have doctors, in this little rural hospital in Mormon country and also on the Blackfoot Reservation and then moonlighting in area ERs on weekends. It was really helpful to be able to explain it to people "Like on the show Northern Exposure" for a while, because before that nobody had ever heard of that type of program.

Gwen that doesn't seem right. I am salaried also but do not get sick time...just PTO which is holidays, vacation and sick time in one. What our handbook states is that if I work four hours, I get paid the whole day. If it's less than four hours, I do not get paid at all for the day and must use PTO. I can only take PTO in increments of 8 hours. Obviously there is no overtime for the days when I work more than 8 hours or don't take a lunch or whatever.
    I thought that was a law but not sure if its a state one or federal.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Never heard of conkers myself so maybe not Wisconsin?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36