Page 797 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2976977477877957967977987998078478971297 ... LastLast
Results 23,881 to 23,910 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

From what I can gather the writings have something to do with the future effect of Terra Nova. I know at one point they said that who controls the past controls the future, so I'm thinking it has to have something to do with that.

I am curious as to WHY the couple decided to have the 3rd chid even though they knew the reprecussions! I hope they revisit that soon!

ETA: Jennifer I LOVE Fringe! It's one of my favs! Definitely a show you havet o watch from the beginning though or you will be lost!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    ETA: Jennifer I LOVE Fringe! It's one of my favs! Definitely a show you havet o watch from the beginning though or you will be lost!
    We would buy the DVD's. it will probably be a while though since we are only on season two of Babylon 5. Plus I forgot that I have the whole series of Lost in the cabinet at home that I borrowed from my sister.

I love watching shows without commericals and in order....and for at least some of them not having to wait until next year for the next season!

I don't have netflix or do streaming so I usually either borrow from my sister or I just buy them from Amazon. part of the reason we need an entertainment center with great storage! I have an amazon charge card that earns points (so we basically charge everything we can and pay off each month)....and I tend to get a lot of the series I buy for basically free or much cheaper.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, that would make me very upset, too. Now, I get stressed out when my house is in disarray, but I don't expect anyone else to clean it for me when I consider that my problem. IS he working full-time? I kind of get the impression that he hangs out a lot, shooting the breeze and working on projects. I would think that he could consider that one of his major responsibilities, since your is running the daycare. Plus, talking about ways to improve things is not a license to criticize.

We've been watching Parks and Rec. and enjoying it, and Breaking Bad was another great show. Dh always anticipated what chemical they were going to need next or what reaction they were going to do.

DH's friend keeps lending us the first season of Breaking Bad (and a documentary called Zeitgeist) and we never get around to watching either one. I hear Breaking Bad is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    We would buy the DVD's. it will probably be a while though since we are only on season two of Babylon 5. Plus I forgot that I have the whole series of Lost in the cabinet at home that I borrowed from my sister.

I love watching shows without commericals and in order....and for at least some of them not having to wait until next year for the next season!

I don't have netflix or do streaming so I usually either borrow from my sister or I just buy them from Amazon. part of the reason we need an entertainment center with great storage! I have an amazon charge card that earns points (so we basically charge everything we can and pay off each month)....and I tend to get a lot of the series I buy for basically free or much cheaper.
    I don't blame you, I like to be able to watch shows in order-but got stuck on Fringe years ago! I don't think I've ever seen Lost, let me know how you like it when you get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]From what I can gather the writings have something to do with the future effect of Terra Nova. I know at one point they said that who controls the past controls the future, so I'm thinking it has to have something to do with that.

I am curious as to WHY the couple decided to have the 3rd child even though they knew the reprecussions! I hope they revisit that soon!
    I like that theory. And I'm curious about the 3rd child question too. It just occurred to me that it also has that in common with another Orson Scott Card book, Ender's Game - possibly my alltime fave sci-fi book. Since the author OSC is a Mormon, there were vaguely religious reasons for the 3rd child.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Has anyone here gotten into Terra Nova? We watched the first episode last night on-demand, and I definitely want to see more. DH compared it to the other new sci-fi show we started to watch, Falling Skies, which he says he liked more, but I think it's because that show takes place in Boston and he's biased in that way.
    Me me me!! But, only 'cause Conner is so obsessed with dinosaurs and we've been anxiously awaiting its premier all summer. I watch it from the point of view of an enthusiastic 5-year-old, so I'm loving it because Conner loves it. It's not too scary for him at all.

I think the family had the 3rd child just because they wanted it. I mean, we all know about China's 1 child rule and there have been multiple discussions on APA about 'what if the US said you could only have X children' I'm sure many would have as many as they wanted, so I don't question the 3rd child at all. Americans are notoriously 'selfish' in that regard and would continue to produce even at the peril of the world. Of that, I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Dbf is throwing around his piss poor attitude tonight. I hate that. He's gone on for almost 30 minutes about one of the kids unrolling the toilet paper. Get over it, dude! Unbelievable. I wouldn't even remember something like that 30 minutes later! We've moved on to the next catastrophe!
    Sometimes they can act worse than the original 'problem' the kids themselves created.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ok, I had to get that out and I feel better. I need to meditate for a few minutes before children arrive so I can let go of all these feelings.
    I really don't know how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    Hi
    Hope you guys don't mind if I pop in and say hi. I always see these posts on "new posts", love the intelligent posts.

My name is Shelley and my 3 year old son is Gilly. My little man is destined to stay a nudist. May be difficult when he goes to school. When he's naked at home, he's 100% potty trained. But the minute you put underwear or shorts on him, he's forgotten it all. Our last visit to the park, he had 4 accidents. So since we live in Florida, I let him run around naked a lot. He loves naked time, he will run around the house declaring "it's nakey time". Reminds me of Dana Carvey talking about his then 2 young sons, he and his wife had to relent, and allow the boys naked time every evening. My childless self laughed, but how true and funny it became when it's my son running around naked.

If you like quirky shows, check out Raising Hope. I love shows with funny, quirky characters. On the flip side, Breaking Bad is so good too. Bryan Cranston, the dad from Malcolm in the Middle, is absolutely amazing in it. Love Justified too. It is set in Kentucky, I just love the main character in his cowboy hat and his swagger.
    Welcome!!! I too love Raising Hope. It's hysterical! I don't really watch many shows, so I can't contribute to the list of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Bridget, that would make me very upset, too. Now, I get stressed out when my house is in disarray, but I don't expect anyone else to clean it for me when I consider that my problem. IS he working full-time? I kind of get the impression that he hangs out a lot, shooting the breeze and working on projects. I would think that he could consider that one of his major responsibilities, since your is running the daycare. Plus, talking about ways to improve things is not a license to criticize.

We've been watching Parks and Rec. and enjoying it, and Breaking Bad was another great show. Dh always anticipated what chemical they were going to need next or what reaction they were going to do.
    Bridget, I agree with L. Even if he is working full time doing 'stuff', so are you. At least 50% of the housework (including meal prep/cook/clean-up) should be his. jmho.

I did catch Parks & Rec once or twice and that also looks like a decent show. I'll watch it if it happens to be on when I'm in the mood for tv.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I watched Freaks and Geeks when it was first on, I loved it, I was so sad when it was cancelled.

Oh Myles I want to hear the Jon Hamm story. But only if it's a good one ;) sorta have a crush on him. Loved him in the opening Emmy bit with Betty White, from last year. Do you guys see that? So funny! Love how his projects outside Mad Men are so unDon Draper, and his comic timing is actually pretty good.

I used to watch AbFab in the 90's. Is it really coming back?

An old show that I loved and would like to watch again is I'll Fly Away. It was on NBC in the early 90's. It starred Sam Waterson and Regina Taylor. The writing was brilliant. It was a show that didn't have the ratings and it got cancelled too soon.

This morning I took G to library story time and to the park. And he of course pooped his pants. It really wouldn't be a park outing unless he poops his pants. Since G turned 3 in July, he is really testing my patience with the whining, crying, and his dramatics. Having heard about the terrors of age 3, I was sorta prepared, as much as you can be. But dang, this boy is giving me grey hair on my toes.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

DH's friend keeps lending us the first season of Breaking Bad (and a documentary called Zeitgeist) and we never get around to watching either one. I hear Breaking Bad is excellent.
    Dh and I just watched the season finale of Breaking Bad. And wow wow. Bryan Cranston is simply brilliant, and his co-star, can't remember his name, but they are both so good. I never thought I would enjoy a show about meth, but the writing is so good, I find myself rooting for Walter White.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I want this t-shirt:

Back in a bit...

Shelley, here you go.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...k-bolly-stolly

I was really sad when I read that Jennifer Saunders was dx'd with breast cancer, but she's in remission at the moment. She is a bit of a role model for me. I kind of worship her. She did this other short-lived series "the life and times of vivienne vyle", which I spent an afternoon watching a few months ago. It was brutal and dark and funny. And the fact that she married this guy from The Young Ones:

makes her all the more beloved to me.

I want this t-shirt:

Back in a bit...

I love it!! I would totally wear that too.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I want this t-shirt:

Back in a bit...
    HA! I snorted!

"Edina and Patsy play their own very special part in the London 2012 Olympics." LOL I cannot even imagine what they must do. I am glad to hear all the cast members are reprising their roles. Wonder how long we'll have to wait to see it here. We don't have BBC America
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Bridget, here's my sympathetic smiley I created that sums up last night for you:

(Can you tell when I'm not that busy at work?)

I know one show that absolutely cracks me up...The IT Crowd. It's not an American show..you can catch clips of it on Youtube and it's available (or was?) on Netflix Streaming. It's stupid funny, but some of what is represented in the IT dept on the show is what really happens...just exaggerated of course.

OMG, the IT Crowd...that's an English show...it's nuts just like so many English shows are! The guy that Jennifer Saunders is married to is called Adrian something or another and he was in The Young Ones and in a show that my husband loved called "Bottom." Typically freaky English humor! LOL. I was feeling nostalgic last night because there was a character on the show "Mike and Molly" that was the guy from Newhart that always said, "I'm Larry; this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl." So, I had to look it up on Youtube and put it on my facebook. Another show that I've thought about recently is Northern Exposure. I don't know why I think of such random things. Oh, and my all-time favorite show when I was a kid was Twin Peaks. I even had a log like the log-lady from that show!!!

Welcome to the group, Shelley! You'll fit right in with everyone, I can tell.

I never did watch AbFab but I saw Joanna Lumley interviewed the other day and she was saying that there are going to be quite a few new episodes of it. Oh, oh, while I'm thinking of good English shows, "The Vicar of Dibley" is really quite funny, too. It's got Dawn French in it who is Jennifer Saunders comedy partner. I think y'all would like that.

One last thing on the TV topic, I'm on the next to last season of BSG. I'm down to the last episode of that season where Baltar is on trial....it's exciiiiiiting stuff!

Oh, and Bridget, I can't post without saying that your boyfriend needs a reality check for sure!

Thanks everybody for the welcome!

Ashley, I will have to check out the IT crowd. My husband is English, and we were just in England for 2 weeks. Loved the English countryside, we lucked out on the weather too! In the evening we liked the show Mock the Week. I wished we could watch it here, but it doesn't seem possible.

I liked Northern Exposure too, such quirky characters. I grew up in Alaska and when that show was airing, Alaskans were annoyed that they filmed the show in Canada and not in Alaska.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    OMG, the IT Crowd...that's an English show...it's nuts just like so many English shows are! The guy that Jennifer Saunders is married to is called Adrian something or another and he was in The Young Ones and in a show that my husband loved called "Bottom." Typically freaky English humor! LOL. I was feeling nostalgic last night because there was a character on the show "Mike and Molly" that was the guy from Newhart that always said, "I'm Larry; this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl." So, I had to look it up on Youtube and put it on my facebook. Another show that I've thought about recently is Northern Exposure. I don't know why I think of such random things. Oh, and my all-time favorite show when I was a kid was Twin Peaks. I even had a log like the log-lady from that show!!!

Welcome to the group, Shelley! You'll fit right in with everyone, I can tell.

I never did watch AbFab but I saw Joanna Lumley interviewed the other day and she was saying that there are going to be quite a few new episodes of it. Oh, oh, while I'm thinking of good English shows, "The Vicar of Dibley" is really quite funny, too. It's got Dawn French in it who is Jennifer Saunders comedy partner. I think y'all would like that.

One last thing on the TV topic, I'm on the next to last season of BSG. I'm down to the last episode of that season where Baltar is on trial....it's exciiiiiiting stuff!

Oh, and Bridget, I can't post without saying that your boyfriend needs a reality check for sure!
    I saw that and I too used to love that show, and especially the darryl/darryl/larry thing. It always cracked me up! I'll think of Newhart out of the blue as well. Who knows why!

I did watch/like Northern Exposure too. I think it took me a couple seasons to get into it though. What was that chic's name with the short dark hair? She stared in Cliff Hanger too. I liked her character the best.

Ashley, I will have to check out the IT crowd. My husband is English, and we were just in England for 2 weeks. Loved the English countryside, we lucked out on the weather too! In the evening we liked the show Mock the Week. I wished we could watch it here, but it doesn't seem possible.

I liked Northern Exposure too, such quirky characters. I grew up in Alaska and when that show was airing, Alaskans were annoyed that they filmed the show in Canada and not in Alaska.
    For some reason I thought they filmed it in North Dakota? I knew it wasn't Alaska though.

For months G has been really into cowboys, he would find a piece of string, and he would use it as a lasso. I thought for sure he would like to dress up as a cowboy for Halloween. I was all excited to get him a cowboy hat, boots, plaid shirt, jeans. He'd look so darn cute. Now he declares that he wants to be Buzz Lightyear for Halloween. No convincing him otherwise.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Conner wants to be a fireman. Again. This will be his 3rd consecutive year.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I saw that and I too used to love that show, and especially the darryl/darryl/larry thing. It always cracked me up! I'll think of Newhart out of the blue as well. Who knows why!

I did watch/like Northern Exposure too. I think it took me a couple seasons to get into it though. What was that chic's name with the short dark hair? She stared in Cliff Hanger too. I liked her character the best.
    Janine Turner who played Maggie. Oh and I was wrong, they filmed in it Roslyn Washington, not Canada.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Janine Turner who played Maggie. Oh and I was wrong, they filmed in it Roslyn Washington, not Canada.
    I guess we were both wrong

Oh, cool! I'm in England and my hubby's English, too! What part of the country were you visiting? We're up North in God's country. ;)

Last edited by demigraf; 10-26-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Oh, cool! I'm in England and my hubby's English, too! What part of the country were you visiting? We're up North in God's country. ;)
    Where do you live Ashley? This was my 2nd time to England, the first was in December 2005. I love it so much. We arrived on a Sunday, and we found a really nice farmer's market in a little village. I had to try the yummy homemade carrot cake One thing I love about England is the baked goods aren't too sweet.

We drove 1,200 miles while we were there! Dh's brother lives in East Sussex, then we drove along the coastline over to Plymouth. My dh went to University in Plymouth, so he wanted to show me his old stomping grounds. We spent a lot of time Devon and Cornwall. We spent an entire day in Dartmoor. G loved climbing up the hills, and Hound Tor. Typical English weather it started out sunny, then he turned misty and drizzly. But we managed to find a cuppa tea and a bacon sammi. Oh another thing I love about England is the bacon! So much better than our streaky bacon lol. We ended our trip near Oxford, where my MIL lives. We were there for my FIL's memorial service.

As long as we were outside, and since we had glorious weather it was easy to do, Gilly was really good. But try to take a 3 year old child inside to a museum. Forget it. We spent an afternoon in Bath, touring the Roman Baths, and considering how boring it must be for a 3 year old, he did pretty good. But towards the end of the tour, he was done, whining and pestering to leave. "let's leave this place" at the top of his lungs.

I had wanted to tour Buckingham Palace and see Kate's wedding dress. But they were sold out, and it's just as well, I wouldn't have enjoyed it with Gilly. It's something I hope to take him to one day. But what age would he appreciate that? Maybe at 9? Once he's out of this loud, active preschool stage and before he's a sullen teenager. ha!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I'm up North just outside of Leeds, West Yorkshire. I've never actually been any further south than London; I think my DH doesn't think there's any point going that way out-he's a northerner through and through! LOL. Speaking of the north/south divide, are Katy and I the only southerners in this room? I got to thinking about it today when 3andme mentioned the accent in Treme.

I had to try the yummy homemade carrot cake One thing I love about England is the baked goods aren't too sweet.
    I love the English more and more...I don't like uber sweet things at all (I normally hate cake, donuts, etc.)

A week or 2 ago I went on and on to the girls in here about this British guy I met in a bar (I don't go out often). He left an impression on me. I talked to him about national health care and kept telling him to be quiet because his accent was bother me, so he made it thicker. It was fun!

And yes, I'm still thinking about him. If/when I end up single, I'm definitely scoping him out.

Oooh, I'm not a fan of sweets here; we expats joke that the English love "dry, crappy cakes." LOL. I used to love the bacon here but I do miss crispy streaky bacon sometimes, though.