Page 796 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 296 696 746 786794795796797798 806 846 896 1296 ... LastLast
Results 23,851 to 23,880 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I watch Dexter and love it...hopefully will watch this weeks tonight. Brewers and Packers are taking up way too much of our TV time right now. Especially the Brewers.

I couldn't get into Treme either. One on my list to watch is Shameless...my dad really liked that one...just one season so far. I enjoyed Episodes and think that they are making a second season. Six Feet Under is fantastic (best ending to a series I think that I have ever seen). I like True Blood but DH won't watch that one. He loves Game of Thrones and I like it but not like he does.

We watch a lot of sci-fy and LOVED Battlestar Galactica. Also Stargate, than Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe (best was Stargate the first series). Now we are watching Babylon 5. Of course all the Star Treks!

We both really like Glee. I also like but DH doesn't watch things like Vampire Diaries, 90210, Melrose Place....that stuff I watch after he goes to bed. Another series we both liked a lot (and yup DH did) was Gilmore Girls.

I'm not watching new series for the most part. We got so burned last year with basically our favorites being cancelled....and than the idiots in charge won't even write in an ending and just leave you hanging. At this point, I'm willing to try things on HBO or Showtime....or wait until they are hits and watch on DVD or even when the whole thing is over.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy is watching Terra Nova....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

DH & I loved F&G, L! It was yrs ago that we went thru the whole series on DVD, but I remembered thinking it had a lot of heart, not to mention one of the most deliciously awkward serenades I think I've ever seen. We got a little less into Undeclared because it also came from the Apatow crew, but didn't enjoy it quite as much.

L, have you seen Downton Abbey? I love it. It's an English drama based in the early 1900's. It's kind of like a Jane Austen type thing.

I am actually watching the Sopranos on Netflix. I am upset though because they only have them through Season 7. We are currently on Season 5. I read somewhere that A&E now owns the series and won't put the last seasons on DVD so we are all in limbo.

I used to like the Sopranos way back in 2001 and 2002 when I stayed in an apartment that had free cable included in the rent. I hadn't watched it since then so I am into it now.

DH is a big cable TV Netflix watcher. He has watched The Wire, Weeds, Dexter, Six Feet Under, and some others. I tried to get into The Tudors but I just couldn't. I may try again because usually the first season IMO is not that great for most series. I want to start watching Oz, another show that I watched years ago and stopped, but DH refuses because he doesn't want to look at dangling penises.

Currently we are into watching documentaries. I have always been a documentary fan and I thought it would be a good idea to have Ky watch some good documentaries. I have one now about Shirley Chisolm that we are going to watch this weekend.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Is anyone else excited that Arrested Development is coming back with 10 episodes and a movie too?

I <3 documentaries too, but the new Ken Burns about Prohibition is kind of annoying to me. Like he's run out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I saw this and just had to share it with you guys. What a way to take advantage of your congregation.
    !!!

Those request sound cultish, not like a church at all.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Is anyone else excited that Arrested Development is coming back with 10 episodes and a movie too?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I agree, churches that demand huge amounts of money like that seem cultish to me too. I get angry about that type of thing.

I'm watching Terra Nova and I love it! DH thinks its awful and I can understand why he makes fun of what he makes fun of, but it's a fun show and I'm really into it at the moment.

I'm working my way through Mad Men on Netflix and I love it. Such excellent writing. Although I told DH the other day I was feeling insecure and needed reassurance about our relationship and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Really? Why?" It occurred to me at that moment that it was probably all the cheating husbands on Mad Men, so I told him it was probably too much Mad Men. He laughed and agreed with me.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I watch Dexter and I also enjoy the show Parenthood. Oh, and I love Weeds. That's it for me and I'm not going to start watching anything else because the last thing I need in my life is more tv.

Dbf is throwing around his piss poor attitude tonight. I hate that. He's gone on for almost 30 minutes about one of the kids unrolling the toilet paper. Get over it, dude! Unbelievable. I wouldn't even remember something like that 30 minutes later! We've moved on to the next catastrophe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I agree, churches that demand huge amounts of money like that seem cultish to me too. I get angry about that type of thing.

I'm watching Terra Nova and I love it! DH thinks its awful and I can understand why he makes fun of what he makes fun of, but it's a fun show and I'm really into it at the moment.

I'm working my way through Mad Men on Netflix and I love it. Such excellent writing. Although I told DH the other day I was feeling insecure and needed reassurance about our relationship and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Really? Why?" It occurred to me at that moment that it was probably all the cheating husbands on Mad Men, so I told him it was probably too much Mad Men. He laughed and agreed with me.

Six Feet Under was awesome. I still get chills thinking about the ending. Ruth (I forget the actress' name) is on American Horror Story.

Oh yeah I like Weeds too. I need to finish up this season before it disappears from Showtime on demand. We don't have netflix. it's so interesting to me....I have never even seen pot IRL.

Also another that we really liked was United States of Tara. Only 3 seasons of that one.

Erin, you might be able to get Sopranos from the library. Or a local video store might have them...if you still have a video store locally.

No dexter for me tonight. Not on demand yet...normally would have dvr'd it sunday but someone in my house was already drving the packer and brewer games.

never saw parenthood but have heard good things about it. except recently a bunch of people on an adoption board were mad because someone on there is adopting or something and made a comment about buying a baby. and they were all offended. But I kind of get that. I feel that way myself. I mean I know all the fees and what they go to and they have to be there...it's not like you give 20K to a woman and take the baby...it's all fees for paperwork and lawyers and other bills. But still when I think about how cheap it would be if I just could have a baby the normal way and only have the hospital bill....and would have all this extra...I could totally redo my living furniture including TV and all that, get an iPad, go on vacation, get new dining furniture, get the tile backsplash.....grrr.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Spartacus is great! Incredibly violent, ridiculous and cartoonish but still very violent. But such a great show. Loved it. The guy who played Spartacus just died from some kind of Lymphoma.

Keep trying with Treme - I swear you just start to understand it after a while. I had the same problem on the first episode, but it does get easier to understand. Really one of the strongest shows I have seen in a while. I cried and cried watching the season finale.

Yes Downton Abbey!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Well, if you'd get your butt back on FB, you'd see that I am, little miss!

I was so very sad to hear Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) had died. I was really looking forward to his return to the show.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Okay, I added Spartacus to our DVD queue and Downton Abbey to Instant, and a lot of the other shows are not available right now (ahem, all of you people who are watching shows while they are actually coming out!).

A lot of the other recommended shows we have already seen and liked. I really really really regret not seeing Battlestar Gallactica with dh when he was first watching it. Or Stargates. I loved loved loved Mad Men. It's one of the best ones I have seen in a while, and I actually took in a picture of Betty Draper when I got my hair cut the last time.

We only watch one show at a time, and only one episode every few days. It's nice to have something to look forward to, though.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Something to do with Rose and the 10th doctor and what ends up happening with them like a couple seasons after Rose's last season. (I've tried to block it out; I can't remember when he said it happens). I don't remember if you're up to date or if anyone else here is behind, so I'm trying not to spoil it for you too!
    I asked the guy one little question that could have been answered simply but instead he spoiled that bit for me.
    Oh I'm totally caught up to the most recent episode. I've seen seasons 1-4 hundreds of times each I don't like spoilers for "my shows" and Doctor Who is probably my #1 TV show of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Has anyone here gotten into Terra Nova? We watched the first episode last night on-demand, and I definitely want to see more. DH compared it to the other new sci-fi show we started to watch, Falling Skies, which he says he liked more, but I think it's because that show takes place in Boston and he's biased in that way.
    I started watching Terra Nova. It's pretty terrible (IMO) as far as how predictable it is but I enjoy the story enough that I'll most likely keep up with it.

I currently just started watching Community which is AWESOME. A lot of my friends had been trying to get me to watch it for quite some time and it's seriously one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

I also love the Big Bang Theory. And Happy Endings is pretty good too.

I keep up with Castle but I'm not as into it as I was during the first and second seasons.

I just finished watching the latest season of Weeds and True Blood as well as Wilfred, which at first was kind creepy but I really enjoyed where they took it at the end.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Oh, I love The Big Bang Theory as well!

I am so upset right now that I am shaking. And it's only 7am!
    I just went to dbf and asked him if he could think about some changes we could make to our evenings to make them more pleasant.
    This is what he said: Well if I didn't have to come home and clean up the house all evening and I could relax and enjoy myself then I'd be in a much better mood. You, know most people pick up as they go along so it doesn't get messy.
    So it's because I don't have the house clean enough when he walks in the door after MY day where I hardly sit down but to nurse. (I am NOT complaining about that btw. I LOVE being with my kids and yes I'm busy but it's part of my job as a mother) I just love how it's my lack of housekeeping skill that is to blame for his impatient asshole behavior.
    I want to rip my hair out.

I also want to note that he said nothing about the fact that I contended with a wagonful of about 70 apples (made applesauce) cooked a chicken and roasted potato, worked a full day, washed/hung/folded/put away laundry, scrubbed the bathroom floor, gave the kids a bath, cleaned up the front yard. Not to mention 867564 tasks that just come with the minute to minute care of several children.

Ok, I had to get that out and I feel better. I need to meditate for a few minutes before children arrive so I can let go of all these feelings.

Ugh Bridget What an a$$holish thing for him to say!! He obviously does not "get" how difficult it is to care for several children by yourself ALL DAY! Give him a from me!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

So sorry Bridget. I so know how you feel! It's too bad that DBF is being a douche bag about cleaning up.

Really though I'd probably give him a suggestion of making a chore chart. If he had a chore chart with days of the week and specific chores that he can even include everyone on (but not give you the whole butt load of things to do) then he wouldn't have to worry about having to clean up so much and would have some control over how things get done. Question is, would he be willing to do something like this and take your input without getting defensive, like if he wants you to do something in the evening and you usually are doing something with the kids, will he get upset that you tell him that you cannot do whatever it is he wants you to do or would he be willing to be flexible.

Also, what does he do? From what you mentioned I didn't think he had a regular, every day, job like you do. Why is he so tired and such all day. He must realize from having 3 kids of his own that taking care of kids is work upon work upon work upon more work. He should really cut you some slack and be more understanding.

Spartacus is another show that DH has watched also the United States of Tara (that one was pretty dumb to me though). He's also watched Mad Men but he watches that one on the PC and I don't have a couple hours to sit in front of the PC to watch a movie so I didn't get to see it, I may put it back on our queue and watch it myself. He watches them after I go to bed usually and I am too freaking tired to stay up during the week watching movies. We have also watched The Boondocks, it is a cartoon but is freaking hilarious IMO. I also love all the Stargate shows. I agree with you Jen that the first series was the best. I didn't get into the others as much as the first series even though I did like Atlantis after a while.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-12-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanpop View Post
    Oh I'm totally caught up to the most recent episode. I've seen seasons 1-4 hundreds of times each I don't like spoilers for "my shows" and Doctor Who is probably my #1 TV show of all time!

I started watching Terra Nova. It's pretty terrible (IMO) as far as how predictable it is but I enjoy the story enough that I'll most likely keep up with it.

I currently just started watching Community which is AWESOME. A lot of my friends had been trying to get me to watch it for quite some time and it's seriously one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

I also love the Big Bang Theory. And Happy Endings is pretty good too.

I keep up with Castle but I'm not as into it as I was during the first and second seasons.

I just finished watching the latest season of Weeds and True Blood as well as Wilfred, which at first was kind creepy but I really enjoyed where they took it at the end.
    I LOVE Doctor Who! I'm going to have to wait til the new season comes out on netflix to watch it

Terra Nova is predictable, but so far I'm enjoying it. Although I don't like the teen boy because it looks like its going to turn into a love triangle and I was never a fan of those

Hi
    Hope you guys don't mind if I pop in and say hi. I always see these posts on "new posts", love the intelligent posts.

My name is Shelley and my 3 year old son is Gilly. My little man is destined to stay a nudist. May be difficult when he goes to school. When he's naked at home, he's 100% potty trained. But the minute you put underwear or shorts on him, he's forgotten it all. Our last visit to the park, he had 4 accidents. So since we live in Florida, I let him run around naked a lot. He loves naked time, he will run around the house declaring "it's nakey time". Reminds me of Dana Carvey talking about his then 2 young sons, he and his wife had to relent, and allow the boys naked time every evening. My childless self laughed, but how true and funny it became when it's my son running around naked.

If you like quirky shows, check out Raising Hope. I love shows with funny, quirky characters. On the flip side, Breaking Bad is so good too. Bryan Cranston, the dad from Malcolm in the Middle, is absolutely amazing in it. Love Justified too. It is set in Kentucky, I just love the main character in his cowboy hat and his swagger.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Bridget, I am sorry you started off your day like that. I am a sahm with one kid, and it's a daily struggle to keep the house clean. When G was about 1, I made up a list of chores I would do everyday. that didn't last one week.

Reminds me of a email ffwd. Here it is.

A man came home from work and found his three Children outside, still In their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty Food boxes and wrappers Strewn all around the front yard.

The door of his wife's car was open, as was The front door to the house And there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding Into the entry, he found An even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked Over, and the throw rug was Wadded against one wall.

In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a Cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys And various items of clothing.

In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, Breakfast food was spilled on the Counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog Food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a Small pile of sand was spread By the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over Toys and more piles of Clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried She might be I'll, or that Something serious had happened.

He was met with a small trickle of water as it Made its way out the bathroom door.

As he peered inside he found wet towels, Scummy soap and more toys Strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a Heap and toothpaste had been Smeared over the mirror and walls.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife Still curled up in the bed In her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up At him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What Happened here today?"

She again smiled and answered, "You know every Day when you come home From work and you ask me what in the world I do all Day?"

"Yes," was his incredulous reply.

She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Hi Shelley! These are some very wise and intelligent ladies Although you probably won't see very many intellectual posts from me since my brain is half fried most of the time

That e-mail was hilarious! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I am so upset right now that I am shaking. And it's only 7am!
    I just went to dbf and asked him if he could think about some changes we could make to our evenings to make them more pleasant.
    This is what he said: Well if I didn't have to come home and clean up the house all evening and I could relax and enjoy myself then I'd be in a much better mood. You, know most people pick up as they go along so it doesn't get messy.
    So it's because I don't have the house clean enough when he walks in the door after MY day where I hardly sit down but to nurse. (I am NOT complaining about that btw. I LOVE being with my kids and yes I'm busy but it's part of my job as a mother) I just love how it's my lack of housekeeping skill that is to blame for his impatient asshole behavior.
    I want to rip my hair out.
    &*^%$# wtf. You ask him a question about how to make your lives better and he takes it as an opportunity to dig into you.

You know, I'm thinking he's more of an idiot than an a$$hole since you posted some of the more redeeming traits he has. So just assuming that, maybe asking him a question like that and hoping for any kind of self-reflective answer was expecting too much.

If he hates the cleaning so much and you don't have time, can he foot the bill for a housecleaner? I vaguely remember you having one for a little while for your daycare, is that gone now? Because with a tiny one and all the work you do, you sure need help, preferably the kind that doesn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    A man came home from work and found his three Children outside, still In their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty Food boxes and wrappers Strewn all around the front yard.

The door of his wife's car was open, as was The front door to the house And there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding Into the entry, he found An even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked Over, and the throw rug was Wadded against one wall.

In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a Cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys And various items of clothing.

In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, Breakfast food was spilled on the Counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog Food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a Small pile of sand was spread By the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over Toys and more piles of Clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried She might be I'll, or that Something serious had happened.

He was met with a small trickle of water as it Made its way out the bathroom door.

As he peered inside he found wet towels, Scummy soap and more toys Strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a Heap and toothpaste had been Smeared over the mirror and walls.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife Still curled up in the bed In her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up At him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What Happened here today?"

She again smiled and answered, "You know every Day when you come home From work and you ask me what in the world I do all Day?"

"Yes," was his incredulous reply.

She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."

Hi Shelley!

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Hi Shelley!

Bridget, I hate that he doesn't get that you WORK a full day too. And you would love to sit down and relax after WORKING a full day. Doesn't he get that you are not just a stay at home mom with your own three kids but a WORKING mom and your work happens to be at the house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget, in our birth month room, we have a term for when one's SO acts wrongheaded and dumb. We call him a "dillweed" in that case. After Ab'smom posted her Inigo Montoya smiley, I made a "Dillweed" one. Now I just wish I had my office laptop to post it. It doesn't matter how much M cleans up after himself as he goes along. It sounds like his way of approaching conflict is to lay the blame on really thick and not recognize any of your hard work. What a dill.

L, speaking of Mad Men, my friend in NY wrote me this hilarious email about the night she met Jon Hamm. Inwill find it and post it here because it made me L(MFAO)OL.

Mandy, my DH makes fun of Terra Nova too, even though he's hooked. Actually, that's funny that you guys called the show predictable, because any time the show tried to create suspense, I too noticed myself calling out what was in the backpack, where the little girl skipped off to, whether or not the teens were gonna get in danger and then busted, etc. It's definitely not like Lost, where DH and I were scratching our heads after every episode. TN looks pretty though. I hope the predictability just goes with setting up the storyline and the writers will take the interesting premise somewhere new. The premise itself vaguely reminds me of an Orson Scott Card book called Pastwatch. Those of you who think the show is predictable, what are your theories on what those scratchings on the rocks are about? My guess is that they're evidence of another migration that failed from another timestream.

The other predictable show that I keep asking DH "why do we watch this?" is Hawaii 5-0. I swear, half the ones we watch consistently are on account of the fact we made up a dance to go along with the theme song. For this one DH gets all happy spastic and I play the "straight man" while we do the twist, and on the last notes, we end up on the couch (<--my iPhone changed that word to "coolish" ) shaking our legs and arms in the air. I'm not allowed to smile the whole time. It is a fun ritual.

Parks and Rec is a new show that got in our lineup over the summer. The first season didn't do it for us but now we think it's really goofy in a good way.

Oh, and the other comeback show I got excited about - like post it on my FB profile excited - is Absolutely Fabulous. Did anyone else here watch that? I'll hold off on gushing about to a time I know someone here knows WTH I'm talking about.

B woke me up this morning by nudging me and saying "Mom. Mom. I'm talking to you." Then he rolled over back to sleep and I'm up an hour earlier than I need to be (with his finger in my belly button). Morning cuddles are the best, though. Happy Humpday, ladies.

L, HMB Pumpkin Festival this wknd. The biggest punkin' weighed in at 1700+ lbs. Tempting enough for you to drive all that way? We should put an outing on the books w/ Gretchen up to the Discovery Museum. I still haven't met her in person.

ETA: Hi, Shelley! Tell us again how cool and clever and funny we all are? I never get sick of that. LOL.
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-12-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Oh another one that DH and I really liked was Alias.

We are considering getting Fringe after we get through Babylon 5....we tend to watch a lot more shows in the winter because well it's cold and dark and baseball isn't on for 3 hours pretty much every freaking day.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36