Page 795 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2956957457857937947957967978058458951295 ... LastLast
Results 23,821 to 23,850 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I like them all! Sorry, I'm not good with paint matching at all. I couldn't even begin to guess which would look best. If it were me and I had to make the choice, I'd nail all the samples to a tree and throw a dart. I'd stand a much better chance of getting a good match that way. ;)

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I think I like the Blue Mosque best, Katy!

I like Blue Mosque, m'self, Katy. When applied in multiple coats, the paint tends to look darker than the swatch, so that Capri might give you more of a Blue Mosque effect when slathered on a whole house. Paint is so tricky! The Sherwin Williams website has a cool visualizer tool, if you haven't already seen it, that lets you upload a photo of your house, mask it and paint it. It was helpful, although probably not 100% true to the image. We were limited to choosing a Benjamin Moore paint (fine by me - too many colors to choose from from them alone) so I had to use their visualizer tool, which wasn't as flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I think I like the Blue Mosque best, Katy!

Me too!

I love blues though. Blue is my favorite color, which Elle and I are having an ongoing discussion about because somehow she has decided that blue and red are "boy colors" and that I cannot like blue. I keep insisting to her that I can like whatever color I like and that I like blue, my favorite color is royal blue. I keep wondering where she heard the boy/girl color thing. Ky said he wanted a wall in his room to be purple and she got into a shouting match with him (for some reason he shouted back) that purple is a girl color and she wanted her room to be purple so he couldn't have a purple wall.

Erin

Me too on Blue Mosque.

ETA: If the color looks horrid, you can always blame it on us!
    Last edited by Suja; 10-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.

I like blue mosque myself too BUT you said that there is brown there too? Like a chocolate brown? I love blue/brown combo but usually I like a lighter blue with the chocolate browns.

what we did when painting the office was get like 5 samples and actually put it on the wall. I didn't like any that I thought I would...just the lighting in that room (the window is a north one) and we were going with black office furniture which made a difference. The one we ended up going with I bought the sample on a whim and didn't think I liked it at all. But on the wall in that room, we both liked it.

It was really so helpful to put the color on the wall and look at it for a week to decide. I'm going to do that again probably when turn the guest room (currently light grey) into a nursery....which I'm leaning yellow (that one is also a north window and tends to feel darker).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I totally put a vote in for baby swimming lessons. Even though you're not teaching anything at that age I think it helps them not be afraid later when they are taking lessons that teach them. I think if I'd put Josh in baby swim it would have been easier.

But we are still doing lessons, and he's in the class without me now and doing awesome. Today he put his face in the water and even went totally underwater a little bit (with the teacher holding him of course). It's so fun to see.

I like the last blue color best, but I don't know what the rest of your house looks like. I'm not sure what irregular limestone looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    what we did when painting the office was get like 5 samples and actually put it on the wall. I didn't like any that I thought I would...just the lighting in that room (the window is a north one) and we were going with black office furniture which made a difference. The one we ended up going with I bought the sample on a whim and didn't think I liked it at all. But on the wall in that room, we both liked it.

It was really so helpful to put the color on the wall and look at it for a week to decide. I'm going to do that again probably when turn the guest room (currently light grey) into a nursery....which I'm leaning yellow (that one is also a north window and tends to feel darker).
    Our house painter initially gave us 5 colors that we could choose from to put up on the exterior. It was tough to limit ourselves to 5 when we were originally doing a 3-tone palette. When I started having doubts, the painter nicely offered to get 5 more samples for free. Which only led me to choosing 2 tones from the first set of samples. Then when I saw the chosen trim against the new main house color, it was so unimpressive. I paid an extra $70 for the paint he already bought AND took a trip to the store, shelling out another $50 for 6 more samples. It stinks to have a color in your mind/s eye and not be able to find it somewhere in the myriad of 5000 odd colors to choose from. Painting the house made me feel so neurotic.

I could never be an artist. I would be paralyzed with just the color decisions like this.
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Karen, why did everyone think you were a racist? Without context, it sounds hilarious!
    I'll tell you a story! My friend's 10 year old daughter was riding in my backseat one day. I was looking for a job so she would always point out places that were hiring. We drove by a nail salon and she said "look Karen! The nail salon is hiring!" And I said "silly Faith, I can't work there - I'm not Asian!"

I didn't realize I probably shouldn't have said that until my other two friends who were riding with us gasped.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I'm 7th generation Texan, and live here by choice. The caveat being that I live in Austin, so it is tolerable. A tiny little normal bubble in the middle of what I consider to be not normal (the nicest way I can say it!) It was definitely a culture shock when I went up north for college. But I grew to really love midwesterners, who seem very honest compared to what I grew up with - Texas is a lot of sweet-faced double-talk, a lot of talking behind people's backs, etc. One of my favorite jokes from when I was a comedian was a guy saying that in his family, the meanest thing you could say about someone was to tell a story about them and then say "We'll just leave it in God's hands" with a slow nod, wide eyes, smirk mouth - totally judgmental but coated with sweetness. I hope you can picture that in your mind because it always made me laugh when he did it.
    I love Austin! If I ever had to move back to Texas I would be okay living there. I grew up in Houston myself.

Erin, you are truly awesome (and possess a forgiveness in you that's absent in people whose religions dictate they be that understanding). You really should be a UN diplomat.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I know I don't interact with you very much, Erin, but I absolutely adore you and agree with you ALL THE TIME. I was also a Jezebel

I met DBF at a mutual friend's house. The first night he came over to my house I gave him a hand job. And that's how our friendship was for several years - friends with benefits. Then a lot of $hit happened and we finally got together and I got pregnant

I need to start checking in here more often. I always forget to since it's at the bottom.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I saw this and just had to share it with you guys. What a way to take advantage of your congregation.

Unbelievable. Take out a 2nd mortgage on your house and give that money to the church? Irresponsible and wicked.

And I am leaning towards mosque blue myself. Maybe tomorrow I will go get it!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

That is crazy!

Another vote for blue mosque!

Glad I'm not the only Jezebel!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Unbelievable. Take out a 2nd mortgage on your house and give that money to the church? Irresponsible and wicked.

And I am leaning towards mosque blue myself. Maybe tomorrow I will go get it!
    omg! The nerve!!! That's when you know the church has crossed the line between caring about their congregation's spiritual well being and gone over to just being in it for the money. That's sickening.

I saw this and just had to share it with you guys. What a way to take advantage of your congregation.
    Wow. I hope no one risks their retirement or their home because of this

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

My mom got hooked up with a group similar to that one when she first got "saved" (in quotations not meant to offend by on-looking non-secular people that is just how I refer to it personally ).

She was asked to give a lot of money and to sell things to help out a new church formed by some friends of hers. I remember she got upset at me because I was a little rough around the edges back then at the ripe old age of 20 and I accused her church of being a cult. Luckily she went back to our family church in recent years, which is plain old Methodist so she now is not involved in any "cult church."

I know a few of the mega churches here in Atlanta are similar to that as well, want you to sign over houses and give large sums of money. Their reasoning is basically that you are giving to god and that since you gave to god he will give back to you ten fold. I remember one guy Creflo Dollar (his real name) told a story about a lady giving him 1K who didn't have any money to give and he gave an "inspirational story" about how she got back tens of thousands of dollars based on her generous gift to the ministry.

That part of church is actually something that I have never and don't think I will ever understand. I understand the 10% tithes in order to have some money to run the church but unless you don't have a church or your church was destroyed by a natural disaster, you don't need 35million dollars for a new one, why not pick a 10 million dollar church?

Erin

I think megachurches should be taxed like corporations. If your pastor (or whatever he/she is called) has a jet plane, the church can afford to be taxed like any other business.

Wow that is insane. I know the UU one I sort of go to would never suggest those things. Course they also wouldn't build a new one just because (only in a fire or some thing that destroyed it).....they take a lot of pride in the building being older and fixing it up and being as green as possible and all that.
    They also don't ask for 10%....the general rule is to give what you can feel comfortable with. They hand out a sheet at pledge time that has a graph with incomes and what it would be at say 3%, 5%, 10% for example.
    To me it is irresponsible and uncaring to ask people to put their well-being at risk by cashing out 401K's and using the house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That is the height of irresponsible! Asking people to put their homes and retirement in jeopardy so you can build an even bigger megachurch? I really hope no one is dumb enough to fall for this.

I don't think that the JC of The New Testament would ever ask any of his followers to do this sort of thing, or approve of anyone else asking to do this in his name. He seemed like a simple man.

By the way I think a couple of you watch Dexter; the new season started a couple weeks ago and it has a religious theme. It should be really interesting.

Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos play these two religious fanatics who are murdering people to make some kind of point (what that point is I'm not sure yet but it's unfolding nicely). It's fabulously creepy.

We get it on Netflix so won't be able to watch until next year, but if you accidentally reveal what happens I won't get too upset. I take hearing spoilers better after hearing about a study done recently that found learning the end of a story didn't ruin the story. Sometimes it is a bit easier for me to watch a stressful show (like Dexter) if I know the ending. This past season the TV reviewer on Fresh Air revealed the big finish on the last season of Dexter (and got into hot water with a lot of listeners!) so I knew the whole time what was going to happen, but it was still interesting.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I won't spoil anything. I hate spoilers! I'm still mad at the guy I sometimes talk to on Yahoo who spoiled something minor on Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I don't think that the JC of The New Testament would ever ask any of his followers to do this sort of thing, or approve of anyone else asking to do this in his name. He seemed like a simple man.
    Zactly! The JC of the New Testament had the most admirable qualities. I don't think the JC of the NT would have gone to bat for self-aggrandizing megachurches, or millionaires or corporations - for that matter - as though they were great protectors of the flock, as some would have you believe.

I can't remember if it was AnnieEek (I miss her on here) or another friend who shared a website that inserted actual quotes of very Christian-infused political commentators into cartoon bubbles as though the words were coming straight out of Christ's mouth. The point of the site was to show how incongruous and un-Christian the words actually were. I think it and other related sites can be easily located if you Google the terms tea party Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I think megachurches should be taxed like corporations. If your pastor (or whatever he/she is called) has a jet plane, the church can afford to be taxed like any other business.
    I totally agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I won't spoil anything. I hate spoilers! I'm still mad at the guy I sometimes talk to on Yahoo who spoiled something minor on Doctor Who.
    Oh man, I would kill someone who gave me a Doctor Who spoiler. What were spoiled about??
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Something to do with Rose and the 10th doctor and what ends up happening with them like a couple seasons after Rose's last season. (I've tried to block it out; I can't remember when he said it happens). I don't remember if you're up to date or if anyone else here is behind, so I'm trying not to spoil it for you too!
    I asked the guy one little question that could have been answered simply but instead he spoiled that bit for me.

Has anyone here gotten into Terra Nova? We watched the first episode last night on-demand, and I definitely want to see more. DH compared it to the other new sci-fi show we started to watch, Falling Skies, which he says he liked more, but I think it's because that show takes place in Boston and he's biased in that way.

No, I haven't watched either of those but I hear Terra Nova is really good.

I keep hearing about that Terra Nova...I might have to check it out.

I just got back from a curriculum evening at Travis' school; I love his school and their approach to learning!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I read that study, too, Katy! I have felt a bit better about hearing spoilers since then as well. We are also a season behind on Dexter because we get everything through Netflix.

I'm going to have to check out both Terra Nova and Falling Skies and see if they're available for us. I'm looking for a new series to watch because we don't have anything in our queue right now and everything we have waiting for us isn't out yet. We started trying to watch Freaks and Geeks because we never saw it when it came out and remember it being critically acclaimed, but we both found it too painful. High school was difficult enough, you know? And this one is filled with even more angst and mean people and embarrassing moments packed into neat little episodes because it's tv and it has to be dramatic. It caused too much sympathetic embarrassment, and we found ourselves cringing the whole time.

I'll take more suggestions if you guys have any that I can browse. I tried watching the show set in New Orleans that Katy recommended but we couldn't get into it. Actually, we had a really hard time understanding it. It was almost like a foreign language. We have had better luck understanding non-American accents than the Southern drawls spoken in that show, sorry to say. Every few minutes we'd turn to each other and say "What?" but turning up the volume more and more didn't help. It was so weird.