Page 770 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2706707207607687697707717727808208701270 ... LastLast
Results 23,071 to 23,100 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

She said the girl was talking about watching an American cooking show so the girl said she hated that Americans changed the words for stuff. We were both like, "Um, it was an American show, get over it, moron!"

Chrissy, I'm so glad we helped your mood. You guys (Not y'all! ) have definitely helped me out, too.

I was definitely a geek in high school. No big shock, I still am! But I'm much more social and know how to approach people now.

Ashley, what word do Brits use for zucchini? I don't think I know that one. Too funny about it being an American TV show.

Chrissy, it isn't just Americans who are rude! I've had a lot of rudeness directed at me in England and France. Not everyone, but it happens enough you aren't surprised by it. Not in Mexico, though, for the most part people are really sweet there. Japan, too, very polite country.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

A zucchini is a courgette here. I get so confused some times when I try to think which one I should say to whom.

People here can be right jerks, especially to foreigners. The country has a big population of xenophobes.

I'm going to take a nap now. The late night has caught up with me!
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 09-04-2011 at 07:15 AM.

That is funny, I didn't know that veggies had some different words. The English spellings always get to me. A number of journals are British and they of course love the extra vowels and it makes a difference if I'm looking looking for a specific one.

I think that a lot of times it's big cities where people are rude. Like I spent 3 weeks in France when I was 16 as an exchange student and everyone I met was really quite nice and friendly. But when I go to say Chicago, I think that most people there are super rude.

Now I live in a medium town and even walking down the hall to work, everyone is like smiling at you and saying good morning or hello. and these are not people I know. The hospital is really quite big now and of course the shuttle drops me off on one side of campus and I work on the opposite side.

Chrissy I'm glad that your brother knows how to fix cars! I wish that I had someone like that in my family.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Chrissy I'm glad that your brother knows how to fix cars! I wish that I had someone like that in my family.
    He's really, really good. He's already called because he wants to take another crack at it. He said it's probably something stupid and sometimes after getting really aggravated with something then coming back to it the next day it's clear as a bell what's wrong. Even if it turns out to be the transmission, I still say what he's already done wasn't a waste. There was one joint that even I could tell was bad (and I'm totally dumb about cars). There were a series of washers/gaskets at this joint and they were all crushed together. And my boot was dry rotted terribly and the one he got to replace it (used) is nice and new looking

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I wish people were friendlier here, if not for anything else but Josh's sake, who loves to say hi to everyone and mostly gets ignored He's always saying "Say hi to that person mom" and it's just awkward because people here don't even really look at each other as they pass by.

I couldn't imagine ignoring a little child. I was waving from the bus window at a little tyke in their carseat in the car next to us at a red light last week. She was so cute and waved...how could someone ignore that?

Conner loves to talk to people on his walks too. Thankfully, Owego is a friendly little town and by now most people know him and will chat him up. He has his favorites though. He decided long ago who he will and will not talk to and he hasn't changed his mind. He knows his grandma's mail lady's name is Tina. They talk every day he's there!

Aw, that's sad, Kate. Most people around here will say hi to you. You can always tell the ones who won't by how they divert their eyes away from you. We like to take the initiative and just say hey to anyone who crosses our path.

It's mostly cashiers who don't talk to us...Josh will be telling them some long story about the stuff we are buying, what we're going to make with it, etc. and they barely acknowledge it. They're the type of people who say "how are you" and when you say fine, you? they don't answer. That has always driven me crazy too.

Oh man, that's worse than just random people on the street ignoring him! Boy, people are ruder there.

While I was out school shopping with the girls, I picked up 3 dinosaur t-shirts for Conner. Two of them had toys attached but I didn't look closely at them. I knew he'd be happy just having more dino shirts. One of the toys was a little FM radio player with headphones. Boy, does he think he's awesomesauce now!! It's really too stinkin cute! The t-shirts were only $10 too, so I consider that a great score

Kate you have me mad at cashiers wher you live that won't say hi or acknowledge Josh!!! People used to do that to Ky when he was younger. He has always been super friendly and "hi" was his first word at 9 months he would just say "Hi" really loud and wave his little fat hand and when people didn't say hi back to him I would get really angry LOL!

When he was older it would hurt his feelings so I would just tell him, in a really loud voice, that some people are rude and don't like to respond when nice people greet them. Then I would cut them a mean look, most of the time they would say hi to him after that. I don't know why I would get so angry about it, but I just remembered it.

I am also happy your brother is around to help you out with your vehicle Chrissy. My brother is good at fixing cars as well and I miss having him around to help me with my cars. It is good you don't have to worry so much about your car since you can depend on him.

I have never heard of courgette in all my life! That is a cool name for a zuccini and I think I will begin to employ that in my regular conversation just to annoy people (i.e. my DH lol). I was thinking the Brits might call them all squash or something. It reminds me of a pomme de terre, a potatoe in French. I always thought it interesting that an apple is called a pomme in French and a potatoe a pomme de terre (apple of the earth). Apples and potatoes aren't all that similar to me so I wonder why they are called almost the same. But I guess whoever invented these words did them for a reason.

Erin

I get mad when people don't respond to babies. Something wrong with them for sure.

My whole state is on fire today, and wildfires are on all sides of my town. We need rain but the latest hurricane just sent gale force winds which are whipping up the grass fires into huge conflagrations. Pretty scary. One friend had to evacuate this afternoon, no word on whether his house will survive or not.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Oh goodness Katy. That must be terrifying

Scary Katy! I don't remember-where do you live?

Yeah...I try not to let it get to me when people won't say hi to Josh. Not everyone is a fan of small children or babies. It does make me sad for Josh though. We just try to pick the cashiers who like him. We show up at Target and the grocery store often enough for a few of them to know us A cashier who doesn't even work there anymore runs into us in random places sometimes and still remembers us. She calls me Kathy, but she used to do that even when she worked at the grocery store. LOL

That still really burns me up about the rude cashiers. Heck, there was a little 2-year-old waving and saying 'hi' to everyone walking by her in the mall today. I gave her a great big smile and waved and said hi back. How can you not?

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe they feel like they'll get in trouble for talking to a baby they don't know. Josh is so outgoing he doesn't care who he talks to. He goes around telling everyone his name is "Joshua AND Josh". At the dentist the other day she was giving him stickers and he was practically crawling up into her lap. She said he was loveable

That's cute!

I'm in Texas. We are in Dallas this weekend, so I am worried about my cat burning up. Of course when we get back to town I will worry about the rest of us burning up.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Stay safe Katy.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I hope everything is okay with you and yours, Katy. We've had a very cool past two summers here, so they've been talking about how our fire seasons have been relatively mellow. It occurred to me that I haven't smelled wildfire smoke this summer at all yet. I've been around some really big fires in the past, and it's been awful and calamitous, but never felt on the edge of losing my life or my belongings. They are usually pretty good about having people evacuate on time - so just listen to them if they tell you to leave, okay?

It never bothers me if people don't say hi back to my kids. I don't take it personally, for one thing. Most of the time baby S. is kind of waving and babbling and I think the random stranger wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that he's saying hi most of the time. Also, kids aren't really great at making direct eye contact and they bounce around a lot in speech and action, so a "Hi" even in an older kid who pronounces it perfectly might be assumed to not be directed at the person he's talking to. I'm not used to strangers (even kids) randomly saying hi to me, although I'll err on the side of saying hi back. A lot of people will err on the other side. Finally, many people around here do not speak English as a first or even second language, and there are cultural differences as well, so when my kids say hi, they may be ignored for a variety of reasons. I will usually respond to them myself, and say "Oh, that was nice of you to say hi. That was very friendly." I don't say it sarcastically or passive-aggressively, either. I'm just saying it to give them a response to their conversational attempt. With the baby, obviously, I reply with a much shorter "Hi, baby!"

Finally, a lot of people do stop and talk to my kids, without prompting. Cashiers talk to them, and strangers in the stores. My children are not always great at talking back when strangers talk to them or ask them questions. I end up talking for them sometimes, myself. So I don't think they will think it's so strange that I end up talking for the unresponsive strangers when my children try to initiate conversations themselves.

Oh no Katy, thinking of you and hope those awful fires stay far away from you.

L, it did take some getting used to saying hi all the time and having people say it to me that I don't know. I just didn't grow up that way. In some ways my town is kind of old-fashioned like that. Still throws me for a loop when grocery shopping and they ask if I want drive up (since I usually do that alone and I usually have a big cartful). I only did it once though when it was pouring....they hold your cart for you and you drive up the door under the awning and help you load your car up. Of course they also bag for you.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Katy, I was just reading about the fires in Texas and hope you and your kitty are okay. We had some pretty scary fires near us a few years ago - the whole mountain north of town was on fire for weeks and you could see it from our house! Let us know you're okay.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I hope your home and kitty are safe Katy, as well as you too.

So far so good, bur we are in Dallas until tomorrow. I have had two friends so far evacuate and they don't know if their homes are okay, but it is mainly on the outskirts of town and hopefully will stay there.

I am so tired of Texas. Yesterday was the first day since June that it was under 100 degrees and instead of being able to enjoy the day, everything catchesnon fire.

Katy, keep us posted. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts!

It's raining up here and we don't need it. I wish I could send it your way.

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

So I read a book to my kids tonight. It's about a mom wishing things for her daughter- "I dream one day you'll dive into the deep, clear water of a lake" and "one day you'll feel a small weight on your back [with a picture of the little girl all grown up with a little girl of her own]" etc, and at the end the little girl is an old woman. Lorelai turns and says "the mom died." And that just opened the flood gates and both kids started BAWLING about how one day I'll die and they won't have anyone to play with. I tried every angle- you'll have a family of your own, I'll have lived a long full life, everyone dies... then I tried the This Is What Other People Believe angle. I explained reincarnation and Heaven. Nope. They weren't having any of it. It was sad at first and then they just kept crying and fueling each other by saying stuff like "Griffin, mommy will die and NEVER COME BACK!" and then Griffin was like "You're going to die TOMORROW!" and none of my stories were working and I admit it. I got annoyed. There's just no way to explain death to a distraught 3 and 5 year old.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Cass, that's why people end up making up stories. Look at how many people tell their kids they'll live forever. It's really difficult.