Page 769 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2696697197597677687697707717798198691269 ... LastLast
Results 23,041 to 23,070 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

That's funny about the country music! It's a huge hit here with lots of people. and omg about no plastic bags!! I wish!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    When I was driving home from my brother's for dinner last night I was thinking about this thread and wondering if I would ever meet any of you in real life.
    Yes, you will.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Plastic bags are illegal in San Francisco.

Gwenn, I have high hopes for your thyroid helping make everything better.

I say you all occasionally because I do think it's important to be able to distinguish a group vs individual, and I think our language is imprecise not to have the distinction. After being in Spain as a teenager and being able to use the you (singular, formal and informal) and you (plural, formal and informal), it was hard to go back to such a very general you. You know what I mean? (I'm talking to you.)

I don't say y'all much I think. Instead I tend to say youall.

And our grocery stores always have paper and plastic. When I was a kid, it was all paper. Now they ask you. Though I generally bring in my own cloth ones unless I need paper for some reason (like our paper recyclables go in paper bags for the garbage men to pick up).

Bridget, I always wonder when we drive past Madison if maybe you on the road visiting your dad.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Plastic bags are illegal in San Francisco.

Gwenn, I have high hopes for your thyroid helping make everything better.

I say you all occasionally because I do think it's important to be able to distinguish a group vs individual, and I think our language is imprecise not to have the distinction. After being in Spain as a teenager and being able to use the you (singular, formal and informal) and you (plural, formal and informal), it was hard to go back to such a very general you. You know what I mean? (I'm talking to you.)
    LOL ... the first time I really thought about y'all was when I took Spanish in high school and my teacher talked about y'all being the English version of plural you. I kept thinking, "Huh? Y'all? Who says y'all?"

L, and Jennifer, I have a couple of questions about this thyroid thing. Reading up I found that I was supposed to wait 1-2 hours before eating anything with calcium after taking my pill, and if I took a calcium supplement it should be four hours. The pharmacist intern yesterday said four hours before I ATE any calcium, which completely rules out any dairy for breakfast.

I have found that the only thing that works for me for breakfast is to take yogurt with me to work and eat it mid-morning. I'm not hungry when I first wake up so I have to have something portable I can eat at my desk. If it can't be dairy, I'm left with something like a bagel or whatever that doesn't satisfy me. If I eat breakfast, I need protein. I can't have sugar first thing on an empty stomach. If I can't have my morning yogurt, I can honestly see myself going back to no breakfast at all and that isn't good. What should I do? DH says I should have a hard boiled egg, but I want my yogurt, darn it!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Gwenn, I would double-check with the pharmacy intern again. Everything I see says take on an empty stomach and you can have food one hour after and calcium two hours after.

We take our own bags to the grocery store now. They try to encourage people here to recycle as much as possible.

I hope one day that I do get to meet y'all! (There, I said y'all!) You're an awesome group of ladies.

We're off out tonight around town with some of our friends. I'm excited to get out of the house for a bit. I'm trying to decide what to drink since wine makes me too sleepy. I think i'll go with gin and tonic tonight.

Dp
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 09-03-2011 at 11:08 AM.

I wish we could all plan a meet-up one of these days. Not right now, though, a vacation just isn't in the budget right now.

I've known a few people that will say 'yous' for plural you. "Yous can come over for dinner tonight." It drives me crazy! They also refer to hair in plural, like "I need to get my hair cut. They are long." I think they're Pennsylvania Dutch descendants (the ones I personally know that talk like that) but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I wish we could all plan a meet-up one of these days. Not right now, though, a vacation just isn't in the budget right now.
    ita. With both!!

I haven't been able to get my shifter into reverse for a few weeks. My brother is fixing it for me right now. I love him!!

Oh, and I've been using cloth bags for the grocery store for a number of years now.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I haven't been able to get my shifter into reverse for a few weeks. My brother is fixing it for me right now. I love him!!
    Sometimes you can double-clutch really fast and it will do the trick, too. Or you can actually get it fixed. That's probably better.

I was afraid to try that L because it was some linkage thing that was wearing out. I didn't want to bust it and make it so I couldn't put it in the other gears. Much better to just get it fixed. I've been lazy though and kept putting it off.

We should all meet in Mexico over Christmas. That way there's plenty of other stuff to do if it's too awkward hanging out all the time.

We went to the parade today and it was fun. There was a ton of traffic of course (Atlanta is way up there with having the worse traffic jams, even worse than some areas in California). But luckily we don't live far from downtown and I know the back routes.

Ky had a great time too. He wiggled his way into the front of the crowd and had a good view of everything and got to shake Darth Vadar's hands and encourage some knights to duel along the way. We got some pretty good pics of some of the crowd dressed up

They only have plastic bags here at all the grocery stores I frequent and I go to a lot of different stores because I coupon. Oh, except Whole Foods (they have coupons too). I have cloth bags but forget them a lot so I usually just take the plastic bags back to a store for recycling next time I go shopping.

I also hope to meet some of you in person. I actually think of y'all whenever I am planning a trip and wonder how far any of you would be once I get to my destination. I say y'all too and said it in Ohio growing up and my family really doesn't speak slang except for "y'all" because we are considered by many to be bourgeoise or "boo-jee" as they pronounce it. DH thinks I'm bourgoise for some reason even though I think I am rather ghetto, the black equivalent of a redneck. But I do digress that he is much more ghetto than I am which is why he thinks I'm bourgoise. That and because I call gutters "eaves troughs" which he feels is just me talking fancy. There are other fancy words I use like "collander" or "sieve" that I have always used and he had never heard of either of these words. But I love slang and vernacular language and different regional dialects too. I find language fasincating so I actually pick up a lot of regional language and employ it in my own use and emulate it. My family in Ohio always gets a kick out of me "talking like an Atlanta person." Atlanta is something else when it comes to slang and dialect and it took me a while to even understand what native Atlantans were saying, but I am an expert now. My favorite Atlanta word is "skrimp" which is Atlanta for shrimp. It still is interesting to me to go to a restaurant and my waiter/waitress/cashier will say "skrimp" three or four times in regards to my shrimp meal.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    We should all meet in Mexico over Christmas. That way there's plenty of other stuff to do if it's too awkward hanging out all the time.
    If by Mexico, you mean Nogales, I can afford that. Don't think it would be all that much fun, though!

Erin, my DH says skrimp sometimes! He picked that up in the military, I'm sure. He spent a lot of time in Ft. Benning.

L, and Jennifer, I have a couple of questions about this thyroid thing. Reading up I found that I was supposed to wait 1-2 hours before eating anything with calcium after taking my pill, and if I took a calcium supplement it should be four hours. The pharmacist intern yesterday said four hours before I ATE any calcium, which completely rules out any dairy for breakfast.
    !
    I would just be consistent. I basically take mine when I wake up and within 20 minutes am having coffee which for me is 6 oz milk with 8 oz coffee. And than I have either string cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt.
    If you do that daily, when you get the levels rechecked in six weeks, if you need more thyroid they will up the meds. If not, all is good.

I am not a good breakfast eater and need protein too...and I hate eggs.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I am starting to pick up here and there on the local accent and my family makes fun of me. I say oh yeah all the time or just yeah. Snow is more pronounced snew. We are very close to minnesota and have a strong Norwegian population/influence. People here actually use don'tcha know. It's a very sing-songy kind of accent and a lot of the time sentences come up a notch at the end. I'm in the biggest town around until the twin cities....but a lot of the smaller ones that are like 30-60 minutes away kind of remind of Rose from the Golden Girls back in St. Olaf..... LOL

I don't know if this is a regional thing or not but do you all know what a snickerdoodle is?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It's a cookie, right?

yup. it's our favorite cookie and one that I do very well.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yum!

I was thinking in the car today about the whole stabbing a pumpkin in the head thing. It was still making me smile, and it dawned on me that that is yet another example of what a positive impact you all have on my life. I had been feeling like stabbing a 'someone' in the forehead with a fork, and feeling awful for having such angry thoughts. When you made me visualize stabbing a pumpkin (and later watermelon), I got the same 'satisfaction' of stabbing something but it was funny, harmless, and no guilt about having ugly thoughts.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I really appreciated you guys changing my mental path last night. I really didn't have a person in mind when I was thinking of fork stabbing, but I definitely didn't feel good about myself for even having those thoughts. You totally turned me around and I'm sure I was able to sleep last night because of it.

Yeah, I'm dorky.

I actually turned my air off tonight! Cold front came through and when they are talking 40's and 50's the next few nights I thought it was probably time.

Chrissy. But we already knew you were dorky....I mean you are in IT afterall! Course my profession isn't really known for cool factor either.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I chopped up a watermelon today and thought of you guys. No forking, though. My sister used to fork people's lawns and once got caught forking the area in front of someone's tent on a camping trip.

Also, I know I haven't been that cool all the time, but I'm okay with it. I was interested to read a Q&A session by this author who coined Quirk Theory, and it pretty much reinforced everything I learned in and after high school, and everything my parents had taught me:

If you were popular in high school, look out! Your unpopular geek counterparts are probably going to be more successful than you are. In her new book The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, Alexandra Robbins promotes her “Quirk Theory” which states that the traits that cause people to be excluded from the “in crowd” in high school are the same qualities that others will admire, love and respect in adulthood. Robbins argues that too many students are disparaged, rejected or ignored by their peers because they exhibit certain unpopular qualities but that these same students are often the most imaginative, creative and interesting ones in the school. Robbins also addresses the treatment of outsiders and explores what popularity means, how “sticky” social labels are and whether students are better off being popular or unpopular. Were you a geek or a popular kid and how did your status in high school prepare you for a life in the adult world?
    Here's an article in Salon.

I am glad you are able to change the anger into something more manageable so you could sleep. Hope today was better.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I was thinking in the car today about the whole stabbing a pumpkin in the head thing. It was still making me smile, and it dawned on me that that is yet another example of what a positive impact you all have on my life. I had been feeling like stabbing a 'someone' in the forehead with a fork, and feeling awful for having such angry thoughts. When you made me visualize stabbing a pumpkin (and later watermelon), I got the same 'satisfaction' of stabbing something but it was funny, harmless, and no guilt about having ugly thoughts.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I really appreciated you guys changing my mental path last night. I really didn't have a person in mind when I was thinking of fork stabbing, but I definitely didn't feel good about myself for even having those thoughts. You totally turned me around and I'm sure I was able to sleep last night because of it.

Yeah, I'm dorky.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

The geeks from high school are definitely more interesting adults than the popular people. I was not popular so I hope I am slightly interesting!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I read an article about that recently L and ita. I wasn't really popular in high school either.

And yes, today was much better. I think from now on whenever I get angry like I did last night I'm going to remember forking pumpkins/watermellons and it will be a little better. AF arrived today so that explains my bad temper.

I've never heard anyone call a shrimp a skrimp. That's pretty cool! Of course, they call them prawns over here, so that may be why i've never heard of it! Speaking of Brit speak, my American best friend and I went out last night and she was telling me that when she'd been grocery shopping earlier in the day, she had a conversation with the cashier and the cashier went off on her about why Americans insist on using different words for food stuff like egg plants and zucchini. Lol. People are nuts.

Speaking of going out, we got home at 12:30 and I was up from 5:30 with Cash. And I feel fine! I guess I still have it in me to shake my thang!

I've heard of snickerdoodles but never eaten one. I need one now!
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 09-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Speaking of going out, we got home at 12:30 and I was up from 5:30 with Cash. And I feel fine! I guess I still have it in me to shake my thang!
    Yay!!! I love shaking my thang! But no way could I get up at 5:30 after!

Why did the cashier go off on your friend? Did she use the 'wrong' word for something? I thought only Americans were rude like that.

Oh and my brother replaced the whole shifter/assembly from the actual knob to where it connects to the transmission and it still won't go in reverse. He was really surprised (and a bit torqued) because there were broken linkages in multiple places. I'm just sorry he wasted so many hours on it. He said he'll have another look at it tomorrow, but I may need to replace my transmission. For me, that's not too big of a deal because I know he can get me one for less than $200. I just hate that he spent so much time on it already. I told him I'll pay him for his work, but he was arguing because he says it's not fixed. I pointed out that there were definitely broken parts, so it wasn't a total lost cause.