Page 751 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2516517017417497507517527537618018511251 ... LastLast
Results 22,501 to 22,530 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

lol

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Good morning! I am sooooo glad to be back to work and my normal routine. Wednesday we drove down to Milwaukee because the funeral was Thursday. I think that was probably the first church service I have gone to that I can remember that wasn't a UU service. I was pretty lost too because I don't know the prayer thingy or the crossing yourself thingy or when to say things like thanks be to the lord or amen or whatever. And at some point everyone was saying to the people around them peace be with you and I must have looked confused or something because my MIL said don't look so scared. Grandma was Catholic so this was done at a Catholic church. I went to an all women's Catholic college but got away with taking World Religions for the the religion class and we weren't required to attend mass.
    It was nice to see some family that we don't see often but I'm so happy to be home. We were down twice in the past 3 weeks and it's a 4 hr drive each way. And I used up most of my PTO.

Now we are done with the adoption paperwork. I even have the letter finished and printed and signed. Friday the social worker will be coming over to visit with us so the only thing left is to clean the house. Our house is normally pretty clean and organized....should be since we have only been there a bit over a year now and came from a smaller space so have the room for things we have. But being gone so much we haven't done much cleaning so we need to do the normal cleaning...dusting, vacuum, bathrooms.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

How exciting Jennifer! Let us know how the social worker visit goes!

By the way, I'm very proud of myself. I finally learned the right way to use e.g. and i.e.

How exciting about the social worker visiting this Friday Jennifer!!!

How do you use e.g.?

e.g. is when you're giving a list of examples. Or not a list, I guess, necessarily.

And i.e.?

i.e. means "in essence"

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

i.e. stands for "id est." I can't remember what e.g. stands for, but it's also Latin.

Oh I didn't actually mean it stands for in essence, that's just how I remember it ;) Nice to see you Cass

I always wondered about the ie, eg thing!

I never really thought about the i.e. and e.g. thing. I doubt I'll remember...I'm such a scatter brain and will never get affect/effect no matter how many times it's explained to me. I only know the therapists assessed each person's affect. I know what a flat or animated affect is and whether it's appropriate for the content of their discussion.

So...I got the job off and it's $4/hour more than I get now. I did give John an opportunity to match it but I won't stay for less. He's not hopeful that they'll be able to get that much. I tell them at CISER whether I'll take the job or not Wednesday morning.

Yay, Chrissy!!!!! Woo woo! Are you wanting to take the new job now?

I'm just watching BSG; I think I'm on season 3 near the end. I don't like that Lee and Kara hooked up...there's something about Kara that I don't like...but I'm still watching it, for all of y'all BSG ladies who suggested it!

I really need to go hop in the bath and shave my legs; I'm so lazy about shaving my legs, but I gotta do it since I go to zumba twice a week now. I've also got to see if I can find a good hair straightener online for a cheap price since mine have just died and I can't live without mine. My hair is curly at the top and straight on the ends...it's definitely not hair that I can leave unstyled.

I love meeting up with people I've met online. I've met quite a few other expats from online and we usually keep in touch quite a bit.

Congrats Chrissy! $4 more an hour is fantastic. That is an extra 8K a year (before taxes of course!).

Ashley, I don't know much about flat irons but I bought a Solia one from folica.com and have really liked it.

I LOVE BSG. Been a bit since we watched it but I know we will watch it again in the future. Right now we're watching Babylon 5. I like science fiction better but DH likes fantasty a bit more...unless it's vampires...I can't get him to watch True Blood with me. Now he's really bummed that he has to wait so long for the second season of Game of Thrones.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Cool Chrissy! I think you'll be better off there.

I just happened to stumble on theoatmeal.com's explanation of e.g./i.e. and I love how they explain things there like a lot/alot so it stuck with me. I'm not trying to brag or be a grammar snob or anything, LOL. I'm just happy to learn something new

I screw up than and then's all the time. I used to care but now that I know it bugs my dad, I especially try to screw them when I'm emailing him. LOL

So at the funeral I was thinking of how much better my church is and how much cooler it is. I haven't gone much this summer because we have been busy but I'm going for sure on Sunday. This is what the sermon is....How Can Science Fiction Save Us?
    From its early beginnings science fiction has caught the imagination of dreamers, scientists, and theologians alike. The Science Fiction genre encompasses the hope, dangers and possibilities of the future. In the 1960's Star Trek was a television pioneer of inclusion and diversity in its actors, plots, and topical moral issues. How much of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World has come true? What can be learned from going where no man (or woman) has gone before?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I am a bit of a grammar snob, but only to businesses; I know a lot of people aren't great with grammar, so I don't judge them but businesses should know better.

I spent over 20 minutes on the phone with DH this morning. He was freaking out because our tree (we only have two we planted last year...one is a Blue Spruce and the other is a Northern Pin Oak)....well he was freaking out because Franklin (the oak tree) has had something eating away at some of his leaves and he said he found a lot of leaves had some kind of egg sack on them. He LOVES this tree and is very attached to it (hence the name...the spruce we call Bruce)....and when we had him planted last year, it was $400 because it's an oak and was a little more mature of a tree).
    So we were both digging around online and don't think that it's oak wilt at all and don't think that it's the oak borer bug. From what he described, didn't sound like gypsy moth egg sacks either.
    I got smart and emailed the UW-extension and heard back from them asking for some pictures or we could bring in a sample. I will see if he wants to do that tomorrow morning.

As for the coversation a few pages back.....I don't know that my DH would have much in common with the rest of yours. It's a general problem he has and why I'm his best friend....he's not that into a lot of typical guy stuff. He doesn't hunt, he doesn't fish, he doesn't know how to do much fixing of stuff around the house. If you want to talk sports, that is about the only guy stuff he's really into....especially his Brewers and Packers. Or movies...he doesn't dislike chick flicks but he tends to like more guy movies too.
    He would be the guy in high school who played D&D....and would play now if we knew some people to play with. And he was on the chess team.
    Besides sports, he likes to talk about trains, science, history, fantasy books, computer games, politics.
    When we travel we tend to go to museums and lucky we have already found several train museums. Or we see a show like Cirque du soleil or a musical.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I am a bit of a grammar snob, but only to businesses; I know a lot of people aren't great with grammar, so I don't judge them but businesses should know better.

I'm definitely much more careful when I'm sending out something as a professional or work related.

Did you see that they recently changed the comma rules. So instead of saying I went to the store, the movies, and the vet you can now say I went to the store, the movies and the vet.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 08-15-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, yes, I remember discussing that comma rule in college and I wasn't happy about it because I like my commas and I want them to be consistent!

My dad would be able to talk to your dh about the Packers. My dad has always loved them, since he was very young.

I'm not sure I'm excited about the job but I've decided if Arts & Sciences can't match what I'm being offered then I'm going to go for it.

Oh, and on the topic of husbands getting along; mine would probably talk about kids with everyone. Rich isn't manly as in hunting/fishing type stuff, but he's in to cars, sports, and mechanical stuff. And he loves music (he's a guitarist).

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm not sure I'm excited about the job but I've decided if Arts & Sciences can't match what I'm being offered then I'm going to go for it.

Go Pack Go!

I think that is the best decision. You have to go where the money is. And really it's always scary to change jobs and go from something comfortable to something new.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've never felt this freaked about a possible career move before, but I think it's because I have so much else going on in my life right now. Oh well...whatever will be will be.

Congratulations, Chrissy! I think it is great. Sometimes it helps me to make a decision if I think about how I would feel about each option a year from now. Do you think if you stayed with your current position you would feel like that was the best move? I do think that if you stay at your current position they will know that they don't ever have to give you a raise because you passed up a $4/hour raise to stay there. It might be a nice change for you - give you something else to focus on besides all the awful stuff you have been dealing with. You are smart enough to do this new job.

I tried to watch BSG a few weeks ago, but had a hard time getting into it - the first two episodes where everybody dies kind of bummed me out.

I have been on a Torchwood marathon lately - anyone watch that? Spin-off from Dr. Who. I'm all caught up Dr. Who so I am glad Torchwood is there as a remedy - I was really missing the doctor! It is a pretty fun (and sexy!) show.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Katy, it took me probably 6 or 7 episodes of BSG before I actually liked/understood it!

I know that show Torchwood but have never watched it; that John Barrowman is nice on the eye, though, but a total nut case in real life.

I know that show Torchwood but have never watched it; that John Barrowman is nice on the eye, though, but a total nut case in real life.
    Do tell!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

But Chrissy, I also know that you have had WAAAAY more than your share of changes this year so if you don't take the job that is totally understandable too. If you want to be comfortable and in control of at least that part of your life I can see that being a wise decision as well.

Gosh, I'm not helping at all.

Katy, it took me probably 6 or 7 episodes of BSG before I actually liked/understood it!

Is he the one who plays Jack? He was in a lot of episodes of the first season of the Dr. Who reboot. He was even better looking back then. Always reminded me of Tom Cruise.