Page 742 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2426426927327407417427437447527928421242 ... LastLast
Results 22,231 to 22,260 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I think you can do it Chrissy!

Yeah, I think you'd be great. I get scared of the responsibility for other people's kids sometimes. You can't let it get to you. It's good to take risks.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    And Claire is adorable in it. Elle said that she likes her and "that girl is going to be my friend" LOL!
    Claire says things like that all the time. She picks people and says they will be her friends. I'm sure she will completely agree with Elle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Yeah, I think you'd be great. I get scared of the responsibility for other people's kids sometimes. You can't let it get to you. It's good to take risks.
    I agree with Mandy. My first job at my current specialty required me to be trained from the ground up. And despite my years of experience at my job, and being in charge, and being certified, I still feel a little anxious about a patient or a procedure a few times a day. I would hate to be so overly confident that I was never concerned and didn't ask questions or admit to being uncertain. The most experienced staff at my job ask the most questions, incidentally, probably because we are more comfortable.

Yeah I felt that way too when i started my job. Before I was just an assistant and would help patients with info but that is really easy. All the staff searches were done by the librarian. Suddenly that was me and I was doing searches for the doctors and nurses. And I do worry sometimes that I won't do the search correctly and miss a vital piece of research. Which affects patients lives. I know I had one who was trying to get the insurance to pay for a drug for a patient but this was an off label use. I tried so hard but I just couldn't find any evidence to support using this drug for the condition vs another drug.
    I still feel over my head at times and I have been doing this five years. But when I am around librarians who have been doing this 30 years and spend most of the day searching (I don't...there are only two librarians at my place so we do a little of everything). or when a search comes in and I have to look up the terms in my medication dictionary and start looking at consumer level stuff first so I have a clue what I am looking for.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm thinking most my doubts are coming from a little resistance to change. I've never been afraid to ask questions and I can't remember worrying this much about a possible job change. I still wonder if changing jobs on top of everything else that's going on is the wisest idea in the world. I'm not kidding when I feel like I'm at the edge of what I can handle right now.

But things aren't all peachy at work either and has been the source of a lot of stress for me. Changing jobs is stressful, but I'm thinking it can't be worse than where I'm at now.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I had a really hard time making the decision to ask to move to Child Find, but now I can see it was the best thing I ever did. I love, love, love my current placement. But if you feel like it would be added stress to take this on I can see why you might hesitate.

I think any job that is truly a career and not simply a clock-in, clock-out job is going to come with a certain level of anxiety. I get stressed out before every single evaluation, wondering if I'm going to be able to do it right. Once I get started I'm fine most of the time but I always worry that I won't be able to see what the parents and child need me to find.

I just read some blogs about people that have intense anxiety whenever they start a new job. Although I can't remember ever experiencing anything like this, I've never really had the amount of stress on me at those times either that I have now. So that's probably contributing to it.

I've decided that if they offer me the job, I'm going to take it. If I absolutely hate it, I can always continue looking for some place that's a good fit. At least I'll be making the $ I deserve and will be comparable to others at Cornell doing the same thing I'll be doing.

I think that's exciting, Chrissy!

Great! I'm glad you made a decision!

Good call chrissy!!!! If nothing else, you will probably learn some new skills and more money is always a good thing. Maybe that could help relieve some of the stress about the move/house and allow projects to get done faster?

Yeah for me...I worked out again today! And killed a spider egg nest downstairs.

Now I'm just working on my dear birth mom letter. Not easy to describe your relationship, your interests/hobbies, why you are choosing adoption, have to mention open adoption, your life, your home in ONE PAGE. And I have to leave room for the letterhead since they supply the paper and leave room for the picture of DH, Cosmo and I (think that it's the one I have on FB). They look at a binder of these letters and decide from there whose portfolios they would like to see so the letter is big deal in trying to show who we are and make us stand out.
    And I'm generally not a wordy writer....back in the school days, I often would struggle to get the minimum pages required in papers.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I had a problem being wordy enough in school too but I think if I had to talk about myself I could fill up a lot of room. What I would do is write out everything you want to say, see how long it is and cut down from there.

What a daunting task Jennifer. Whenever I write I start out with a bullet list of ideas I'd like to include then make sentences out of those ideas. From there I string them together. That's what worked for me anyway. Good luck! I know you'll be awesome parents. I hope someone can see that and chooses you.

Chrissy, good luck with the job! When do you hear if you get it or not? I really hummed and hawed about not going back to work this year, but I know it's the right thing to do, really. I struggled because everywhere I look people are losing their jobs and here I am voluntarily leaving mine! In the end, though, I don't want to spend anymore time away from the education field. Even if I have to go in and be a teaching assistant instead of jumping right back in to teaching, at least I'll be back in the right field of where I want to be.

How's the letter writing coming along, Jennifer? I'll be having a similar problem soon when I'm applying for the teaching program that I'm interested in. I have to write a "personal statement" about why they should select me to train in their program and it has to be all about me and my passion for teaching and can only be so many words long...eek.

I went shopping today to spend some birthday money and ended up getting a great bargain from a DKNY shop; a dress that was $200 was on sale for $55, so I got it...and it was an XS and I fit in to it...I can't believe how fast I got back in to shape this time after having Cash. I seemed to carry lots of extra weight after having Travis but I guess having 2 to chase after has done the trick! (Oh, and going to zumba twice a week probably has something to do with it, too!) Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging on myself, but I'm happy!

Jennifer, good luck with the letter. It sounds stressful to write but I'm sure you'll do a great job. You two seem like you would be great parents and I'm sure that will come through in your letter.

Ash, that's great about your weight loss! I can't wear an XS anymore and I haven't even had a baby to show for it. That was fast!

I just had a look at your blog, Mandy! It's really good! I'll be checking it out often. Travis does that thing where he is so excited about what he's talking about that he gets stuck on one word sometimes and the conversation stalls for a second until he gets back on track, so it's cool to read these kinds of things are normal!

Thanks!

That's awesome Ash!

Ash!!! Feel free to post some happy news-I know I'd be ecstatic!

I think my aftermarket boobs have made it so I'll never see S again, but they're worth it. If they weren't there, I'd be in S now though. Even at my tiniest, I was never XS because I'm too tall. Even though my structure appears very thin, my shoulders are broader than someone that's only 5'1".

Good luck on the job offer Chrissy. I hope you get it and it is a good fit for you so you won't have to think about looking for something else for a while.

Jennifer, I also think it seems pretty daunting writing a letter like that, even though I am one of those people who get a thrill out of writing something. Personal statements really aren't all that difficult for me because I draw a lot from moments in my life and tell a story to enthrall a reader. I also see it as a competition, most of these statements were for scholarships that I won and I was always thinking how I was going to write whoever else was applying, under the rug. But I think it would be different and more difficult in writing a letter to a birth family. A baby is something much more precious and all encompassing than a scholarship. It would be difficult thinking of a way to enthrall the reader, someone who may be grappling with her decision of giving up a child and wanting to pick the best parent possible for the baby. I hope that a birth mom will see what a good parent you will be through your words and message of the letter.

Erin

Thanks guys! Letter writing is going ok. We have at least a good rough draft. One of the worst is trying to format the stupid thing. Since we have to include a picture (not digital) in the upper right hand, we have to leave space for it. And of course at home we have a newer version of Word that is one we aren't that used to since we got it after we were basically done with school and really aren't writing much anymore.

I did however have to send an email to the social worker rescheduling AGAIN. Was supposed to be the 5th and we thought we would be at a funeral and just couldn't get things finished with grandma dying and us rushing down to see her. So I scheduled it for this Friday. Now grandma passed away last night and I have a strong feeling that the service will be the end of this week or this weekend. And we have to travel 4 hours each way for it.
    I know we have good reason for rescheduling but I hate having to do it and feel so flakey about it.

Ashley that is FANTASTIC. I cannot even imagine being a S or XS. I am in an X but it usually has a 2 or 3 in front of it. LOL I would like to get back into my 1x tops again. I'm really bad at losing weight. My sister has been doing zumba too and really likes it...between that, the personal trainer a few times a week and basically exercise of some sort every day, she's lost 55 lbs in the past year. I didn't care for zumba at all (tried the Wii version) but I'm super uncoordinated and cannot dance. Well at least I did the elliptical yesterday.

My DH currently has train tracks on my living room floor. Been there almost a week and they are driving me crazy! He got some new train stuff when we were in Milwaukee last time and of course wanted to test it out. What we really need to do is figure out what size and shape he wants and build him a train table in the basement so he can get started working on a layout (one of those with trees and buildings).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

double post
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 08-08-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Did I already tell you guys I found someone to go to the concert one of the new kids is going to be at? I can't remember...but she sounded excited! I'm hoping that if the tix didn't sell out, we can move up a few rows.

Last night was the last show of the tour and people are bummed, but I'm glad the backstreet boys aren't going to be with them anymore. They're okay, but I miss having just the guys

Jennifer, I'm sorry for all your loses. It does seem to happen all together. My grandmother's brother passed away and they held his funeral last week. I had to miss it because I'm virtually out of any kind of vaca/sick time and what little I have left I need to save to be there for Bobbie. And I'm going to have to take time off to register all the kids at their new school. It has to be done in person.

Kate! I do hope you can get better seats!

la-dee-daa

Just trying to determine if I have a right be be fuming mad or not.

Last edited by missychrissy; 08-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.

I'm assuming that person's work hours normally start at regular business hours ... yes. If I knew that they had made a decision to use up vacation time or were using that time for a specific reason (doctor's appointments, training, etc) I wouldn't have a problem with it but if that person just didn't want to get up in the morning and came in in mid-afternoon I'd be ticked.

*cough*
    Last edited by missychrissy; 08-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.

I would say that you have a BIG right to be mad. I'm salaried....the deal is I have to work 4 hours and I get paid the whole day. BUT I cannot take advantage of it and I would get in trouble if I did that a lot. I only do that for doc appts or if something comes up like family is arriving in the afternoon.
    I also technically have the hours of 8-4:30 but I tend to work more like 8:30-4:45 or 5pm. And I half the time eat at my desk. A couple of times a year I'm here at 6:45am for a big meeting.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ugh. Yeah, not good.

Sometimes I struggle with knowing whether I have a right to be irritated or not. You've definitely been helpful.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 08-08-2011 at 01:17 PM.

I'm salaried but I'm expected to take time off if I'm not at work or leave for an appt. I don't worry about my hours to the minute so long as I work all my hours and get the job done, but a lot of my working time is closely scheduled appts.