Page 741 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2416416917317397407417427437517918411241 ... LastLast
Results 22,201 to 22,230 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

That's great about the church! How nice of them to do all that work for you and manage it without any sense of you being beholden to them. Christians aren't all bad!

I think the lunch thing is a red flag. I have worked through lunch plenty of times as well, but it's always been by choice. I would not be happy if it was frowned on for me to do so.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm so glad they helped you out so much Chrissy! What's VBS?
    You guys have to check out the funny story I told in the thread about funny things kids say.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Christians aren't all bad!
    I know, right?! Who knew?

I think the lunch thing is a red flag. I have worked through lunch plenty of times as well, but it's always been by choice. I would not be happy if it was frowned on for me to do so.
    Exactly. I'm still hoping for an offer just so I can use it as leverage to get a raise from my current position.

The one guy did point out my current title after I explained what I did and he kinda snickered. He said it didn't honestly reflect what I did. I was in total agreement. It seems everyone knows that except the Powers That Be at Arts & Sciences.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What's VBS?
    It's Vacation Bible School. Do they do them all over? Around here almost every Church hosts a 'school' for a week for the kids. They do fun activities and learn about God usually. The kids tonight performed some songs. Conner kept saying, "I'm not going to sing" every time the VBS lady said, "Ok kids, let's sing ___" I'll have to check out your post Kate.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 08-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.

I think VBS is everywhere. We had it in NY when I was a kid and they have it here too.

Kate, that story is hilarious!

I'll share a funny story but in here... when I used to work at my first school about 1/3 of the students were Deaf or hearing impaired. The school policy was that all the 5th graders had to be in orchestra and they were an inclusive school, so the Deaf and HI kids took orchestra, too. As bad as a 5th grade orchestra sounds, I'll leave this one to your imaginations. One day they were rehearsing in the room next to the one I was using for therapy (it's always a fight to find a decent working space) and the little boy I was working with (7 years old and high-functioning Autism) said to me, "What are they doing?" I explained they were practicing for orchestra. His eyes got big and round and he said, "But, Miss Mandy, that sounds HORRIBLE!" LOL!!!

At first, I was like...who would think teaching deaf students to play in an orchestra is a good idea? But then I thought that music is repetitive counting and there've been a few deaf musicians/dancers so why not give all of them the opportunity? Cool beans.

Yeah, I never went through the entire rationale but my district tries to do a lot with integrating education through the arts and that school in particular is all about hands-on learning in a unique way, plus they really make a point of stressing that differences shouldn't hold people back. They did a play every year, too, and they had two casts, one speaking and one signing. It really was a cool place to work. There aren't many places like it.

Chrissy is the job salaried?

Oh I could totally see deaf kids liking orchestra. Often the rooms are built with tiers in the floors that are fairly hollow....and really you could totally feel the music coming up through the floors when we were playing.
    And yeah in 5th grade...not so good sounding anyway! LOL Hot cross buns, twinkle twinkle litter star and maybe some xmas music was about all we could play. LOL

Yup VBS is done in WI too.

I think that is so great all they did for the house. And I would have kept the quilt too. I like some religious things.

Yikes, guess there was some kind of mob attack at state fair in WI last night. http://www.todaystmj4.com/
    Reports of something like a couple hundred young black kids attacking only white people as they were leaving the fair. This is the 3rd attack like that in Milwaukee in the past year or two. It's so sad because I lived there for years and DH most of his life and we never saw that kind of racial tension. Guess that they are saying nobody at the fair under 18 after 5pm without an adult with them to try to help. We don't go really now since we live 4 hours away but we have gone a few times and DH grew up within walking distance of the state fair grounds. It's weird but I don't hear reports of that kind of violence coming out of Minnesota like i do with Milwaukee. I'm really glad that we don't live there anymore and suspect that we have an itch for a state fair, we will go Minneapolis instead (plus it's only like 1-2 hours away).
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 08-05-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Chrissy is the job salaried?
    According to the job description, no. But there is some on-call rotational thing they do so I have to verify that. I know Cornell is anti-OT so I'm not sure if they use flex time or if they make an exception if you get called in at 2 a.m.? Or maybe it is salaried and somehow a mistake was made when they posted the job. I am going on the job description though, hence my surprise at the 'work thru lunch' thing.

I think that is so great all they did for the house. And I would have kept the quilt too. I like some religious things.
    This one definitely holds a lot of sentimental value for me already.

Yikes, guess there was some kind of mob attack at state fair in WI last night. http://www.todaystmj4.com/
    Reports of something like a couple hundred young black kids attacking only white people as they were leaving the fair. This is the 3rd attack like that in Milwaukee in the past year or two. It's so sad because I lived there for years and DH most of his life and we never saw that kind of racial tension. Guess that they are saying nobody at the fair under 18 after 5pm without an adult with them to try to help. We don't go really now since we live 4 hours away but we have gone a few times and DH grew up within walking distance of the state fair grounds. It's weird but I don't hear reports of that kind of violence coming out of Minnesota like i do with Milwaukee. I'm really glad that we don't live there anymore and suspect that we have an itch for a state fair, we will go Minneapolis instead (plus it's only like 1-2 hours away).
    oh my goodness! That's really sad. Is Milwaukee particularly economically strapped right now? Poverty does breed violence...not that it's an excuse, but that's how it goes. I'll have to read the news story you linked.

Wow, that's really scary!

As far as I know the Deaf kids really enjoyed orchestra. My friend who is a Deaf Ed teacher was telling me they pushed them toward playing the violin because they could feel the vibrations coming from the instrument and some of them really got into it. No idea how well they played it, though.

I remember watching a deaf dancer that said she could feel the beat of the bass and that helped her dance. I'm sure if there's any musicality in those students, they'd have a similar ability.

Yes, I think Deaf kids are just as likely to have an inborn musicality as other kids, they just can't hear. My same friend used to talk about knowing a girl who was blind but when they looked at her learning style she really was more of a "visual" learner than any other style.

That's really amazing. When I hear things like that I'm always drawn to how the mind works. Fascinating.

Okay! Blog has now been enhanced with Claire video! I'll change my siggy tomorrow but it's really cute if you want to check it out. www.wordstogrowby.wordpress.com

IDK if there's VBS around here. I don't know anyone who'd know about that, LOL. There probably is though.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Okay! Blog has now been enhanced with Claire video! I'll change my siggy tomorrow but it's really cute if you want to check it out. www.wordstogrowby.wordpress.com
    I'm not saying this just because Claire is in this (in fact, I am embarrassed to say my video is the least professional-looking part of your whole blog), but I think it looks wonderful!!! AND it was incredibly informative. I thought the distinction you made between Claire's video and the stuttering video was remarkable, and you were very clear about the differences and what was normal and what was not. I did not know, and I probably would have been in the camp of "Sure, a little stuttering is normal in children" before seeing this, without knowing I was talking out of my *** (you should probably write about that someday, too).

I think it looks wonderful.

Your blog is great Mandy! Both videos' explanations were really informative and I feel like I know the difference between normal disfluency and stuttering now. We were worried for a while, because he used to do that thing "I want a....I want a....I want a cookie" and still sometimes does it.
    The video of Claire was really cute!

I agree Mandy, your blog looks wonderful! Claire is adorable The other kids hurt my heart to watch.

One of the IT guys stutters. Bless his heart, it doesn't stop him from speaking up at meetings though. He's a really nice guy and I've often wondered what his childhood must have been like for him.

My dad stutters. It doesn't seem to frustrate him but I think he has always stuttered.

Thanks guys! I'm glad it was informative. I was afraid it was a little too much of a boring info dump but hopefully the next one on language learning will be a little more interesting.

I didn't think it was boring at all. And it was written well, so the average person could understand it.

Yay! Thanks.

Fantastic writing, Mandy! I'm sure I'll find many opportunities to share your blog with parents I know.

L, the camera loves Claire. Or maybe I could just tell the videographer was absolutely in love with her daughter. That's an adorable video.

I also think the blog is great Mandy!!

And Claire is adorable in it. Elle said that she likes her and "that girl is going to be my friend" LOL!

Erin

LOL! How cute!

Have you ever taken a job that you felt be might be a little over your head? I'm thinking more about that job that I interviewed for and while I'm familiar with the technology they use and think I could learn it, the truth is I don't really have a lot of hands on experience with it. I'm starting to think...what if I get in there and it's all so far above my head I just flounder? I guess my real concern is that they're so busy they won't have anyone available to teach me. I don't want to learn it by the seat of my pants because some of the stuff is mission critical and must be up and running 24/7. Please teach it to me right!!

The other part of me is thinking I'm just being silly. As of yet there hasn't been anything about a computer or network that I couldn't learn and master, I just haven't had the opportunity for those things yet.

On a related note, Bobbie is getting into CSS and HTML. I'm barely familiar with HTML-I can figure it out but I have to study it a lot and poke and hope till I get the results I want. She's been asking me questions but it's obvious she already knows more than I do.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 08-06-2011 at 04:09 PM.

My first job working with kids with autism was over my head, completely. I had a lot of general knowledge that I learned in school but my interests and clinical experiences were in a totally different direction and I had seen very few kids with autism. I did flounder, I'll be honest, and looking back now there's a lot I wish I could do differently. But, I learned a ton and I loved it. It's okay to step outside your comfort zone.

My last cooking job was over my head. They were using so many cutting edge techniques I had no idea how to do and it wasn't stuff I could practice off the clock or anything. But cooking is so high stress and mainly on the job learning and very fast paced, I'm not sure I could compare it to your potential new job.

The job is expected to be very demanding. They really stressed how 'full my plate' would be and yet I'd still have big projects come up or emergencies that would have to be dealt with. Two programs that I know of that really worry me are the Army's ROTC program. They have data that's highly encrypted and limited to a select, ever changing, set of people. They even password protect their BIOS-something that's easy enough to do but not done often. At least, not in any place I've ever worked (although it's probably a good idea for everyone to do it). The other data center that I wouldn't even have access to the room, but would have to monitor the network activity is the Federal Census Bureau data farm. I didn't even know they had their data hosted on Cornell's campus. I mean, I know that's not the only place they store data and it's probably not all of it-just data that would be relevant to assorted research groups that Cornell has. But still-that's the kind of stuff that I'd be responsible for.

It's intimidating for me. Right now if I totally screw up someones computer, the worst thing I'm going to lose is their book that they've been writing for 2-3 years and didn't make a copy of anywhere else.

I know the Army had a database that came up with 'sensitive data' that the war monger said was ok to delete. When the IT person deleted it, it took out the entire database. The software that is needed to restore it is hard to get and had to go through many levels of bureaucracy. I'm not sure when it is expected to arrive, but I think I'd be expected to install it. It's considered a classified database, so they won't allow CISER (the place I interviewed at) to keep an installation disk of it.

I guess it's not so much the technical work that is freaking me out. It's the level of secrecy and importance. There's virtually no room for error, and if I screw up it could have the potential to effect a lot of people and services. What if a research group is depending on data that I mess up and they miss a deadline and lose their funding?

Ok, I'm done whining about it. I'm not really obsessing, but these are various thoughts I've had. I'm going to work on proper phrasing for questions at my lunch interview. I'll want to make sure I'll have a good go-to person that can help train me. I don't want to be sat at a desk and told "here ya go!" I want real training and documentation.