Page 739 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2396396897297377387397407417497898391239 ... LastLast
Results 22,141 to 22,170 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Can you can any of the Kate, or make homemade tomato sauce for spaghetti? We have some that was given to us...omg, I cannot eat Rague any more!! lol

Too funny about the bread with the bible verse on it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I think I'm going to make marinara. Other than that, probably have a lot of tomato and fresh mozz salads Mmmm. Plus my mom wants some tomatoes so I will bring a bunch to her and maybe bring a basket of them to the family reunion in a couple weeks if a bunch are ready by then.

You could also do tacos. I need several tomatoes for tacos or taco salad. And sandwiches/subs at home.

I love me some spaghetti but have never made a homemade sauce before. I just usually get jarred sauces and doctor them up a bit.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thing is Dh doesn't like tomatoes in any form except sauce Josh likes to pick them off the plant and eat them but isn't as big a fan of tomatoes in things.

I have never made marinara either and I think it's about time I did!

I made a tomato, basil and fresh mozz salad for dinner but couldn't find my olive oil! How did I lose a whole bottle of olive oil?

Mmmm, you guys are making me hungry!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I made pickles today! I forgot to tell you guys we have giant cucumbers. They're seriously almost a foot long and very light green/yellow. I made pickles from the smaller ones but they take 10 days to marinate. I guess I could slice up one of the monster ones and just try it in a salad or with salt.

That sounds really good!

So I decided to start a speech blog. I've been thinking about it for a long time, but I just got motivated because I've had a bunch of people seek me out and ask me about stuttering in preschoolers. (Myles did in this thread, and then I had some PMs on the subject, and then I saw someone posting about it somewhere else in this forum). I seems to be a really common concern, and when I google I really don't see any good information at all on the subject. So I wrote a blog post about stuttering and I'm going to put it up. I made DH read it and he said I needed videos, especially if my target audience is mothers of young kids. So I searched on YouTube and found a good video from the Stuttering Foundation that has kids talking about their stuttering, so I feel fine about using that as an example because the kids and their parents were okay with them being in the production talking publicly about their speech and it's available for free. Then I tried to find a good example of a normal kid who's just a little disfluent and there were tons, but they seemed more like videos someone just posted of their kids and didn't have a ton of views. I'm really not comfortable linking to someone's kid if it only has 500-1000 views even if they did put it up on YouTube. So I tried to search for the ones with the highest # of hits and found this really cute little girl telling the plot of Star Wars, but I'm not convinced she doesn't actually stutter! Either way, it isn't a clear example. So I'm wondering if it's okay to link to a lesser viewed video like that. Or if someone on here wants to volunteer a video of their own kid not stuttering? I promise I won't identify names or do anything questionable with it. I couldn't take a kid from work as that would be crossing a line between my job and my private practice (such as there is but they don't want that line being crossed). What do you guys think?

You could comment on the video itself asking the user if you can use their video. I wouldn't feel comfortable linking to someone's video from a blog either.

Would a video of a child singing count? I don't have many videos of Josh just talking but I have that one of him singing the Santa song from this past winter. I don't know if you saw that one.

I did watch that one and it was really cute (and I think I remember that it was a great example of what I was talking about) but I'd rather have talking than singing. Is it all singing or does he talk somewhere?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I can give you a video of a kid not stuttering, if I have the right age range for you. Claire is pretty verbal. Her main speech problem is that she will sometimes get ahead of herself when she is talking because she is so excited about something and then she will every once in a while stammer a little because she can't get all the words out at the same time. It might take a few days for me to get one, though. How long does it need to be?

No, it's pretty much just him singing the song.
    I can try to take a video of him talking...do you want him to be answering questions or just going off on a rant? LOL

That's just what I mean. Occasionally stammering when they get a little ahead of themselves but not anything abnormal. Doesn't need to be long, just long enough to get the point across. 30 seconds to a minute ought to be fine. If it's cute, like telling a funny story, even better. Whoever wants to - or if both of you do, that's fine, too! The more, the merrier!

A young kid explaining how to play a game like hide and seek is usually pretty amusing...

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Okay, I'll work on it! I have zero video editing skills, so I don't know if you can cut out any adult prompting in it. We do a lot of storytelling around the dinner table, but we always take turns. DD is not used to telling a complete story by herself.

I'm sure it will be fine. If she's slightly out of her element it might even make the example better.

I tried to get a video of Josh but I have so much stuff on my camera still, it wouldn't take a very long video.

One of the local radio stations here is having a concert on the 20th with a variety of artists and one of the New Kids who has done some solo music is going to be there. I got tickets, but in my excitement I didn't look at the chart very carefully and got seats in the very last row. (thinking it was first row, of course)
    It's a pretty small theater but I'm still kicking myself. So excited though! It's in the town next door!

Exciting! Have a great time.

Thanks for trying with the video. Like I said, it doesn't need to be long, just long enough to show what I'm trying to point out.

Kate!!!! You can't change the tickets for better seats?

I'm not sure I have much video of Conner talking, especially not by himself. I'm horrible about filing my pictures and videos too...I tend to save them by month/date, with maybe the kid's birthday in a folder within the month/date if we do something special during that time. 12/2010, for example, has a Christmas folder in it. And a getting our tree folder too. But it doesn't make it easy to find things like "Conner talking".

Nah, when I went back the only seats left were only 10 or so rows further up, not worth buying them and trying to sell the ones I already have. It's fine. It only has 1200 seats. I'm holding out for great seats at a Joe show anyway

kate, when we had a bumper crop of tomatoes one year, we made a lot of ratatouille and gazpacho. If it's super hot in MA, gazpacho could really hit the spot (mmmm... am thinking of making it tonight, but with store-bought toms)

erin, can I just say that totally S*CKS about that first mechanic? If it makes you feel any better, my dad used to use this guy called "Mars" over a dozen yrs ago. He worked out of his home and we always thought we were getting a good deal. So one time, I had him change my timing belt. And for whatever reason, my car started stalling. So I took it back, and whatever he did to fix it cracked the new timing belt. So he replaced it again at a cost, because I couldn't prove he cracked my timing belt. But the car never stopped stalling. So THEN he ended up buying the car from me at a fraction of the cost I could have sold it if it were fully functional. And had the nerve to ask me to not put his name on the pink slip, because he was planning to flip it within the month (after he was probably planning to fix it). Grrrrr. Why did my parents and I let him get away with all that?

gwenn, I hope it's ok I pointed one of my DD room mamas to you, so you might hear from her with a question about resources for her LO who is B's age and hasn't started speaking. I just scoured a dozen or so videos I uploaded of Bodhi only last week and was surprised to find not one of them showed him being disfluent, even though it happens often. I suspect it was because he was playing and very relaxed while I was shooting the videos.

------------------

Another story I meant to share from last week: There's this guy I work with who has the same last name as my maternal gram's maiden name, so I joked with him on my first day on the job that we might be related. Well, after that I got it into my head that he "liked" me, because he was being really shy but going out of his way to be friendly. And for whatever reason, since my childhood, I have gotten very easily creeped out by guys showing interest in me when I don't like them "that way". I used to be very mean and withering in those circumstances, probably because the discomfort from the attention was making me angry. But I'm really proud of me because I forced myself to be gracious, probably for the first time in my life, and stayed friendly to him - talking about basketball when we ran into each other in the hall - even though my skin was crawling from the interaction. And I am SO glad I did that, because the guy started totally relax around me. Then my boss told me I should sit with him and have him train me on one of the databases. They guy turned out to not only really know his stuff and have a lot to teach me and can support me going forward, but he also is a stand-up guy. He totally opened up to me about how he and his wife are going to try to start a family next year. He share that both parents abandoned him as a child and his aunt raised him. And how his mom got back in the picture when he was still school age, but he feels more like his aunt is his mom. Plus he's going back to the old country to meet his dad for the first time and - he said this - "be there for him" if his dad needs any help financially. He has an older brother who met their dad only last year, and the brother wants nothing further to do with him, but this guy is just so convinced that he's ready to accept his father no matter how he turns out to be. I couldn't help but warn him to hope for the best, but expect the worst, and he said he already felt that way. I am now scolding myself for initially throwing up that wall, and wondering how many others out there did I treat badly because I imagined they wanted something from me that they didn't?

/end of ramble

Gazpacho might be good. It's just hard for me to judge how much of something I should make for myself...DH won't eat gazpacho and Josh probably won't like it either.

I did however find a yummy sounding cucumber avocado soup recipe I'm going to make when the avocado I bought ripens.

I'm the opposite of you Myles. I usually have no idea when someone likes me "that way" or is just trying to be nice. I didn't have a clue when a guy I worked with had a crush on me for about a year before he finally spilled the beans. I wouldn't worry about those people in the past though, there's nothing you can do about it and at least maybe now you'll be less guarded now that this one situation has worked out.

What neat story! He sounds like a great guy and I'm glad you can be friends. I'm more like Kate in that I'm usually totally oblivious. Sometimes I imagine things that aren't there, but honestly since I work with preschoolers and elementary age kids I don't work with many guys and most of the ones I do work with are goofs. I usually make buddies with the janitors, though, for some reason. They tend to be more normal than male elementary teachers/SLPs and you can joke around with them.

I usually have a "feeling" about people as well, but I am very mistrustful in general so I usually put my mistrust to the side and just be myself. I'm glad you did and that you met a nice person out of it.

To this day I am always surprised when people turn out to be decent. I initially always expect the worse, especially about those I get a "feeling" about so when I am proven wrong I take it as proof that goodness is more prevalent than evil.

Erin

I've narrowed my name choices for the blog to Wordy Ways, and now DH says it sounds like a writing blog, not a speech blog. What do you think?

It does sound a little more like a writing blog.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    ...And for whatever reason, since my childhood, I have gotten very easily creeped out by guys showing interest in me when I don't like them "that way". I used to be very mean and withering in those circumstances, probably because the discomfort from the attention was making me angry.
    I used to be just like that. Heck, in certain circumstances I can still be like that. Especially if he's particularly crass or disgusting in some way. I'm glad you held yourself in check in this and it's worked out. I wouldn't worry about the guys in the past either. I tend to think that if they didn't deserve it then, they probably did other things that warranted being taken down a peg or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I've narrowed my name choices for the blog to Wordy Ways, and now DH says it sounds like a writing blog, not a speech blog. What do you think?
    I haven't a clue. It sounds good to me, but I'm not clever with naming things like that at all.

It's all about children's language, right Mandy? You could name it 'from the mouths of babes' or 'children should be seen and heard' or some other play on a common phrase like that. Or is that too long? what about Precious Words or Innocent Words? IDK. I can brainstorm more if you like.

Kate's got a knack for coming up with names! I think, Mandy, if you give it a subtitle like "Musings on SLP", then Wordy Ways will be a great name.

I have a confession. I have a blog about a 121 day nutrition & fitness challenge I put myself on. it focuses on portion control 3 conscious positive choices I made each day, tracking what I ate and how much I worked out, and what the yummiest thing was I ate that day. I figure, after 121 days, that's gotta do some good, right? Weaning made me put on weight!
    Last edited by demigraf; 08-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.